PDA

View Full Version : Fert orders due by Dec 31st

americanlawn
12-29-2008, 07:10 PM
We asked for quotes from four different distributors. So far, only ONE has responded, and that was over a month ago, and their prices have not changed (their prices should be cheaper, but???) --- Now I'm running out of time?

We paid double for our late fall fert compared to what it costs now, so I don't wanna get gouged again.

Should I wait 'til January/February? Take a chance? I'm talkin' 66 tons just for our 'Round One'. NOTE: We are able to disregard prepay/early order/early delivery if we can save a buck. Anything on the "grapevine"?

Why has no one else offered quotes? (BTW they say they're still waiting)??

rscvp, thanks

SpreadNSpray
12-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Yep, It seems like a game of musical chairs right now.

ICT Bill
12-29-2008, 07:50 PM
We team up with the Nutrients Plus salesguys often, in the meetings we are having with them they say they cannot commit to 2009 pricing until the middle of January

Seems a little odd as they have almost always wanted spring preorders before the end of the calendar year

I think you are right, they cannot get finalized pricing from the NPK suppliers that blend their fertilizer. It will intersting to see what happens as everything NPK that was made in the late summer and early fall was at jumbo prices.

That stock obviosly has not gone through the distribution system yet

If demand is way down, they may have to fire sale the products but the costs to make fertilizer are still more than 2008. I'm glad we don't have to depend on that supply chain

tough decision, if you wait too long you may not be able to get product as everyone will be ordering at once. I think there will be a shortage in the late spring as everyone is waiting, they will run through available stocks and have to have more blended. these things take time

tlg
12-29-2008, 08:05 PM
I did my early order with JDL about a week ago. My prices were slightly higher than what I early ordered at in Dec. of 2007. I did order the bare minimum on what we will need. JDL assured me that a price reduction WAS NOT coming any time soon. They did say ( I don't have it in writing) that they would do a price adjustment up until the time of delivery ( end of Feb.) if prices should drop. I needed to know our cost for 2009 in order to set pricing for our customers for the season. I also feel more comfortable that the our fert is in the warehouse. Guess I bought peace of mind too. I still don't think the big price drop is coming anytime soon. The suppliers are holding material produced with raw materials at a high price. They know we all need it ( farmers included). Everybody is waiting for the bottom to drop out of something that just will not fall. I think prices will come down. They have some already. Once the market starts buying again we will see a significant movement downward. Gut feelings only. No crystal ball. No charts, polls, government or industry reports to confuse or back up any of my great wisdom. :laugh:

jkranium
12-29-2008, 08:44 PM
Thats funny I heard from our regional JDL rep that we can expect another price drop in January. I also heard that from another supplier that I used exclusively last year.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
12-29-2008, 10:07 PM
I got pricing from my preferred supplier already. They are not much higher than Jan 2008 prices. Actually, the Merit +fert combo is down to $26.74/bag:)
46-0-0 is at $12/bag... Too bad I wont need any anytime soon:cry:

ICT Bill
12-29-2008, 11:14 PM
I got pricing from my preferred supplier already. They are not much higher than Jan 2008 prices. Actually, the Merit +fert combo is down to $26.74/bag:)

the 46-0-0 treats how much area per bag?

Grandview
12-30-2008, 07:01 AM
the 46-0-0 treats how much area per bag?

23M at 1 lb/N per thousand.

rcreech
12-30-2008, 07:47 AM

Those are some VERY good prices.

I usually get some sweet pricing, but so far all I need in some grub control and I havn't gotten anything like that. Mine has been in mid 30's so far.

I would snag some of the urea! If in plastic...and kept dry you won't have any problem with it setting up. I would say it won't get much cheaper then that! But now with that said...it will tank! :laugh: Which would also be great!

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
12-30-2008, 07:54 AM
I'm still sitting on about a pallet of urea that I bought at the bargain rock bottom price of $19.50 a bag in October:laugh: Funny, at the time I was thinking about stockpiling more, but I needed the room for pallets of salt. Who knows what will happen next:confused:

phasthound
12-30-2008, 07:58 AM
We asked for quotes from four different distributors. So far, only ONE has responded, and that was over a month ago, and their prices have not changed (their prices should be cheaper, but???) --- Now I'm running out of time?

We paid double for our late fall fert compared to what it costs now, so I don't wanna get gouged again.

Should I wait 'til January/February? Take a chance? I'm talkin' 66 tons just for our 'Round One'. NOTE: We are able to disregard prepay/early order/early delivery if we can save a buck. Anything on the "grapevine"?

rscvp, thanks

Larry,

It's not the distributors who are holding back on prices, we'd much rather be able to quote them now. The raw material suppliers are holding back as long as possible to give out prices. We expect to be able to quote by mid-January. We also expect a dip in prices, but no guarantees just yet.

I'll be glad to provide quotes then for anyone looking for ferts with high organic matter at very competitive pricing.

rcreech
12-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Barry,

What is the rates/given are of your product? Are you applying so much N/1000 or what is your recs based on? Can they flow through a ride on?

Is it a "granular" type product?

I was thinking you were going to send me a sample at one time...but not sure I ever got you my address.

Would it be possible?

ro1207
12-30-2008, 08:51 AM

rscvp, thanks

American,

Where are you located? I am a supplier in the chicago market and I have just secured my pre-emergent pricing. Your location is midwest, maybe I can help?
Private message me if you have interest.

NattyLawn
12-30-2008, 08:54 AM
For the 20-1-5 and 16-2-3 (more of the bridge products), it's recommended to go 3 to 6lbs per k. They flow great through a ride-on. The sulfur coated urea is your standard round prill while the the composted poultry manure I believe is just screened and bagged. The biosolids are screened as well. I've had no issues. Just try and clean off your machine at the end of the day. I think most do anyway.

turf hokie
12-30-2008, 08:59 AM
Barry,

What is the rates/given are of your product? Are you applying so much N/1000 or what is your recs based on? Can they flow through a ride on?

I was thinking you were going to send me a sample at one time...but not sure I ever got you my address.

Would it be possible?

Rodney, I will help.
I use the line that Barry sells, just a different sales rep for my area. It is granular and it goes just fine thru the permas and the z. You just need to get the calibration adjusted b/c there is more material to a 50 lb bag that is 60% organic vs. a synthetic bag.

We applied the products on our 4-5-6 step programs and adjusted our N applications accordingly. However, we did assume a 20% reduction in total N the first season and actually had better color thru the summer months than previous and no distinguishable difference any other time of year.

Pricing was comparable and sometimes cheaper than some of the synthetics we were using on some of our other properties. We would have switched but we were locked into a contract.

Hope this helps.
Bryan

turf hokie
12-30-2008, 09:04 AM
Sorry to continue the hijack Larry

We are meeting with reps today and next week. Nobody so far is locking prices, hopefully we can start to change that today. I usually would have had my pre-m order in already but not so this year.

It seems most vendors are looking to "price guarantee" up to point of delivery. That is they will lower the price if possible and not raise the price at all.

It is a little frustrating as we would like to get our renewals out by mid-January. And we have a few large properties that want quotes but we prefer not to guess what our material costs will be.

phasthound
12-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Barry,

Would it be possible?

Rod,

Nutrients PLUS Screamin' Green 16-2-3 is our best seller. It is a true granular, not pelletized and is easily applied with any spreader. 40% organic matter, low dust. Label is attached.

You will see the application rates are based on N/1000. The synergy of organic matter and synthetic N enables our users to reduce N input the first year by 25% (33% to 50% in following years) while still providing the same quality green.

I'll be glad to send out small sample bags.

DUSTYCEDAR
12-30-2008, 09:43 AM
i have prices from some and others not still on the wait list

americanlawn
12-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Hi ro1207 -- We're in Iowa. I just got quotes from 2 more sources today. Now I have three to compare. All quotes were either 18-0-0 or 19-0-0 w/either Dimension .10 or Barracade .375 or .38 w/25% SCU or XCU. All quotes were within $2.00 per bag.

UAP needs to book by tomorrow (Dec 31st) to get the best terms. UAP also said they would lower the price if/when they experienced a price drop.

All quotes were between $15.50 and $18.00 per bag. (I won't give exact price)

Normally I would also check with Tech Terra, but we're already having to apply 4 pounds per 1000 with a 19 or 18% product w/pre.

I know all distributors are doing their best. I feel sorry for them cuz they are in "limbo" right now too. Hope prices go down for round two. :confused:

rcreech
12-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Rod,

Nutrients PLUS Screamin' Green 16-2-3 is our best seller. It is a true granular, not pelletized and is easily applied with any spreader. 40% organic matter, low dust. Label is attached.

You will see the application rates are based on N/1000. The synergy of organic matter and synthetic N enables our users to reduce N input the first year by 25% (33% to 50% in following years) while still providing the same quality green.

I'll be glad to send out small sample bags.

Any samples available? I would like to see, touch, smell etc.

Let me know if possible.

Thanks,
RC

garydale
12-31-2008, 08:45 AM
We are getting the same late January answer also.
Some are crying because they need to unload the expensive product they have from last fall.

I think we will wait.

phasthound
12-31-2008, 09:38 AM
Any samples available? I would like to see, touch, smell etc.

Let me know if possible.

Thanks,
RC

If etc. means taste test, no I won't send it. :p

I will send 10lb sample bags of Nutrients PLUS 16-2-3 to companies that are able to buy by the pallet or truckload (22 pallets) only. Please do not ask for samples if you don't fit this requirement as we cannot service you.

Contact me techterra@comcast.net with company name, contact person, mailing address, shipping address, phone # and email address and I will be glad to get you a sample.

KACYDS
12-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Barry, sent you an email. Thanks

DUSTYCEDAR
12-31-2008, 09:55 AM
thanks for the info barry
ill wait to ask for a sample till i see all of my pricing for this season.
where in jersey r ya {or should i ask if i wanted to pic up a pallet where would i do that}

phasthound
12-31-2008, 10:24 AM
Barry, sent you an email. Thanks

Sent one back to you. Thanks.

rcreech
12-31-2008, 11:22 AM
If etc. means taste test, no I won't send it. :p

I thought this stuff was safe!!!!

Alright...I guess I will make taste off the list! :laugh:

I will PM you with my Address!

Thanks,
RC

phasthound
12-31-2008, 11:25 AM
thanks for the info barry
ill wait to ask for a sample till i see all of my pricing for this season.
where in jersey r ya {or should i ask if i wanted to pic up a pallet where would i do that}

We ship direct from several bagging facilities throughout the country. When you're ready to order, we can arrange pickup at a nearby terminal if that is more convenient for you than delivering to your location.

superintendent
12-31-2008, 01:26 PM
I was wondering if anyone uses Regal chem and fert and also I would like to know who people are using for their products. Also who are yall getting your sprayers from JDL or who. I'm talking about the 200 tank you put in the back of your truck.I also was told that there is a hose winder that will wind back up with a remote. Does anyone have one and does it work?

ro1207
12-31-2008, 04:26 PM
Hi ro1207 -- We're in Iowa. I just got quotes from 2 more sources today. Now I have three to compare. All quotes were either 18-0-0 or 19-0-0 w/either Dimension .10 or Barracade .375 or .38 w/25% SCU or XCU. All quotes were within $2.00 per bag.

UAP needs to book by tomorrow (Dec 31st) to get the best terms. UAP also said they would lower the price if/when they experienced a price drop.

All quotes were between $15.50 and $18.00 per bag. (I won't give exact price)

Normally I would also check with Tech Terra, but we're already having to apply 4 pounds per 1000 with a 19 or 18% product w/pre.

I know all distributors are doing their best. I feel sorry for them cuz they are in "limbo" right now too. Hope prices go down for round two. :confused:

It looks like the quotes you were given are in line. Our pricing is in the same ballpark for the same products. The only problem is shipping from Chicago to Iowa will definatly affect the price negativley. Check out our website if you are still interested. www.russopower.com Happy New Year!

n-green
12-31-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm not sure if this is relevant to anyone but I have been checking my JD acct. online for a price decrease. Just checked again 31st and prices under my account # were up 40% since yesterday. I will call Friday and see what is going on (or up!).

phasthound
12-31-2008, 05:45 PM
I thought this stuff was safe!!!!

Alright...I guess I will make taste off the list! :laugh:
RC

You're funny. :laugh:

mikesturf
12-31-2008, 07:02 PM
It looks like the quotes you were given are in line. Our pricing is in the same ballpark for the same products. The only problem is shipping from Chicago to Iowa will definatly affect the price negativley. Check out our website if you are still interested. www.russopower.com Happy New Year!

Checked your website and I cannot find anything regarding fertilizer.

turf hokie
12-31-2008, 08:02 PM
I'm not sure if this is relevant to anyone but I have been checking my JD acct. online for a price decrease. Just checked again 31st and prices under my account # were up 40% since yesterday. I will call Friday and see what is going on (or up!).

Never go by what the online pricing is. Always call the store. The online pricing is usually out of whack, and never in our favor.

superintendent
01-01-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm guessing since no one has answered my question that everyone must use JDL product.

turf hokie
01-02-2009, 08:53 AM
I'm guessing since no one has answered my question that everyone must use JDL product.

Not exclusively.
We base who we buy from on a number of factors; loyalty, customer service, can the vendor help ME grow MY business?, quality product, product availability, and of course price. But we do NOT always buy from the lowest price vendor for the above mentioned other qualities.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-02-2009, 01:36 PM
i never put all my cash in one pocket

redbuckcavs
01-02-2009, 01:40 PM
I just met with my supplier. I can get 19-0-0 (no slow release) with Dimension for $14.50 per bag . A year ago I ordered 18-3-7 for $15.50

DUSTYCEDAR
01-02-2009, 02:23 PM
thats not to bad

americanlawn
01-02-2009, 07:56 PM
While we appreciate the quality of LESCO fert, we also look at savings. In our case (the past week), LESCO was the most expensive. Another source would have saved us over $2000 compared to LESCO. But UAP was approx $3300 less than all others .............

UAP RULES! (so far, as well as the entire year of 2008). We'll shop again for round two, but I wonder.....considsering our recent experiences.:confused:

turf hokie
01-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Larry, all I have to say is Wow, so for JDL has stepped up to the plate for us. Still have vendors to call on this coming week but they are cheaper by a significant amount this season than last season. We dont use what you do but we take trailers at a time as well.

PM me I know we talked in the past but I cant find your phone numbers in the office.

Thanks
Bryan

PSUTURFGEEK
01-02-2009, 09:33 PM
I just met with my supplier. I can get 19-0-0 (no slow release) with Dimension for $14.50 per bag . A year ago I ordered 18-3-7 for $15.50

I understand what you are doing with the all chem fert to keep costs down and save on the slow release, my only question is what is the AI and what about a 14-0-0 all chem, you really don't need a whole lot of N in the earlt spring.

superintendent
01-02-2009, 09:48 PM
who else do yall look at for chem and fert beside Lesco"JDL" I know around here I did some snooping around to some of the people who spray yards uses Souther State products saying that the fert will last 3 months. They didn't know what I do for a living I just told them I was wanting to see what they would charge to do my yard to compare prices. We all know that's BS. So I want to know who else I can call for prices instead of Regal and JDL.

turf hokie
01-03-2009, 07:47 AM
who else do yall look at for chem and fert beside Lesco"JDL" I know around here I did some snooping around to some of the people who spray yards uses Souther State products saying that the fert will last 3 months. They didn't know what I do for a living I just told them I was wanting to see what they would charge to do my yard to compare prices. We all know that's BS. So I want to know who else I can call for prices instead of Regal and JDL.

Are you really a "superintendent"??? the reason I ask is as a super you would know who and where to go for ferts and other products at the blink of an eye, plus probably get better pricing than most of us as well.

I would be shocked if Southern States offered a fert that had ANY kind of slow release to it. I put myself thru college at a Southern States where we sold bulk, bagged, and applied to farms. Not one stitch of what we did was slow release.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Try the phone book that works also

superintendent
01-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Unless you work in tlhe golf business you would not understand, but no in the golf world everything is double in price, because of label. EPA specify what can be use on golf courses. I can name several company, but like I said it for golf only. Yes JDL I can call on or Regal. In my opinion there will not be another company that will be better than Regal products but you pay the price and around here I don't see me making enough money off of customers using Regal. That is why I'm asking. Now on the other answer the phone book I'm not in a big town. The biggest town around is L'ville and that is 3 hrs away

turf hokie
01-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Super,
I understand golf enough as I have worked on the other side of the counter and serviced several large and high end courses. I also understand that there are products labeled for GC use only as well. However, those even if labeled for residential, would not be necessary for most of us to have in our toolboxes.

I was talking about basics of fertilizer,weed,insect,fungus control. Which is what you could use on a GC or a home lawn. And believe me you are not going to find to many places that have more laws and regs than around here. I dont know of anything off the top of my head that can be used on a residential lawn and NOT on a GC only the other way around.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-03-2009, 03:36 PM
HELENA would be a good spot

phasthound
01-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Unless you work in tlhe golf business you would not understand, but no in the golf world everything is double in price, because of label. EPA specify what can be use on golf courses. I can name several company, but like I said it for golf only. Yes JDL I can call on or Regal. In my opinion there will not be another company that will be better than Regal products but you pay the price and around here I don't see me making enough money off of customers using Regal. That is why I'm asking. Now on the other answer the phone book I'm not in a big town. The biggest town around is L'ville and that is 3 hrs away

Super,

I'll be glad to help you out with fertilizers. We carry a line designed for the golf course industry.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
01-03-2009, 05:08 PM

Check this link out. http://www.advancedturf.net/ContactInfo.ats This company has locations in Louisville & Florence. They are a great source for fert & chems & do a LOT on the golf side. Lots of post patent products labeled for golf.

Here is another company to look into. http://www.uap.com/uap/

These companies deliver. Good luck!:usflag:

stressed
01-06-2009, 08:23 AM
im waiten til mid jan/feb.The prices have got to be cheaper this year starting out

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
01-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Just sent another fert price sheet from my supplier & it dropped again! I must say, I am very pleased w/ pricing I am seeing! Terms are favorable also: Order/deliver by 3/15-Net 90 days:)

SpreadNSpray
01-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Just sent another fert price sheet from my supplier & it dropped again! I must say, I am very pleased w/ pricing I am seeing! Terms are favorable also: Order/deliver by 3/15-Net 90 days:)

Is it getting close to the "old days"?

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
01-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Is it getting close to the "old days"?

Well....Maybe not that good, unless the "good old days" was 2 years ago:laugh:

30-0-0 50% scu 13.45/bag seems good to me:)

Grassyknoll99
01-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Not bad for waiting a month. I posted a month ago when prices were still being quoted at 20-24 bucks a bag and suppliers were still saying very little discount trying to get little guys to commit.

10-12 bucks was my prediction for a bag with a 20-0-0 or higher. That would be over a 50% discount(not bad!). Please will somebody make my prediction come true!

Good luck to the self employed owners. Keep bargaining. Prices are going down.