PDA

View Full Version : Keystone /retaining wall help

packey
12-29-2008, 08:51 PM
I have been asked to bid a job with a retaining wall that is to be 150 foot in length and 8 foot in high. I have built walls like this before but this is the first I am going to actually bid. I am using Keystone blocks do to the fact that I know this product and it's limitations as well as my one. My question is what is the best way to bid the job especailly when I am unsure on the amount of time I will need to actually complete the project. In times past on landscape jobs I have always bid time+materials. So I quess what I am asking is how do I bid time plus material when I am not sure how long I actually need. Is their an easier way to bid this if so I would love the suggestions

PSUturf
12-29-2008, 10:07 PM
For a wall that does not require geogrid I usually price it from $35 - $50 per square foot. Factors affecting price are how many feet of base course, site accessibility, price of the block, rental of excavating equipment. Since your wall will be 8' tall you will have to factor in the cost of the geogrid and how long you think it will take to excavate and backfill for the reinforcing material.

Without knowing site conditions, whether the base will be hand dug or with a machine, or your capabilities it is hard to say what your production rate will be.

AGLA
12-30-2008, 08:37 AM
You could charge per linear feet (to cover base preparation) plus face feet of wall. That will help justify billing if there are changes as you go forward.

JimLewis
01-01-2009, 06:48 AM
I dunno, man. I mean I could write for half an hour on how to bid this properly. But it comes down to this; If you've never bid a job anywhere near this size before, it is probably wise to start with smaller jobs and work your way up. Tackling big stuff right off the bat with not too much bidding experience is a great way to lose your A$$ in this business.

Even if we all gave you all our best advice, we have no idea how fast YOU can work, what YOUR local conditions are (soil, weather, travel time...), what the site limiations are, etc. I just don't think there's a good way to get a realistic answer a question like this and have it be really be accurate when you go do the work.

White Gardens
01-01-2009, 06:15 PM
I dunno, man. I mean I could write for half an hour on how to bid this properly. But it comes down to this; If you've never bid a job anywhere near this size before, it is probably wise to start with smaller jobs and work your way up. Tackling big stuff right off the bat with not too much bidding experience is a great way to lose your A$$ in this business.

Even if we all gave you all our best advice, we have no idea how fast YOU can work, what YOUR local conditions are (soil, weather, travel time...), what the site limiations are, etc. I just don't think there's a good way to get a realistic answer a question like this and have it be really be accurate when you go do the work.

I agree with you Jim, seems like there is too many variables to consider on a job that size.