PDA

View Full Version : Beef up my truck #2!!

Cutter1
12-29-2008, 07:55 PM
4 seasons, i just have to know how cutting grass makes you invisible to dot??? This why we are getting a hard time from dot. I have everything legal, I worry about weight, because I too cut grass and more than you could ever dream of and I have been stopped and weighed in a 3/4 ton truck on the side of the road. doesn't matter what you have it registered at, matters what the sticker on your door says. Had my 3/4 ton rated at 11k, the guy laughed as he stroked me a fine!!! enjoy.

ryry278
12-29-2008, 08:07 PM
I thought you had to have a CDL if your over 10,000lbs. What was your weight at? Does not seem like you could get a legal fine if your 3/4 ton truck with a 8x20 trailer that cant even hold 10,000 lbs cuase both axels are at 3,500?? What was your fine for?

mybowtie
12-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Holly SH!T....Guy asks a simple Q about beefin up his suspention, and everyone starts on the dot stuff. Simple Q..should be a simple answer...
He NEVER said he was invisible to DOT. Everyone assumed he was going to be overloaded...And dont give me this "were just lettin him know" stuff.
The mod's locked the thread for good reason..Let it be..........

packey
12-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Hey it all depends on wat state you are in and how the state enforcesthe DOT rules. Here in Texas I can run a lot heavier rig than I could in colorado. In colorado if I was over 10001 that is combind gvwr I had to run dot. I do not care wat the rig was. I did not have to have a CDL however. Here in Texas I can skate under with up to 25000 lbs gvwr ( this is my understanding from a Texas Weights and Measures Officer). I ahve said before sevral months ago it depends on the state you are in. If you are unsure or you feel you have been ticketed unfairly check with the Local DPS office

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-29-2008, 08:17 PM
I think the weight is over 20k for a CDL requirement, I mean after all you can rent a 24' Uhaul or Penske Rental truck and that truck is over 10k empty without a CDL requirement.

ryry278
12-29-2008, 08:19 PM
I assume this is the same thing??
A USDOT Number is required if you have:

* vehicles that are over 10,000 lbs,
* if you transport between 9 and 15 passengers (including the driver) for compensation,
* if you transport 16 or more passengers, or
* haul hazardous materials in interstate commerce.
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/about/other/faq/faqs.asp#name20

If so this means there is a federal requirement. I would think if he is under it then he should have no problems

Cutter1
12-29-2008, 08:24 PM
I was replying nicely and jumped on me, thats why the #2. pretty easy to be overweight on a 3/4 ton. Had it rated for a one ton...11k plow, spreader, diesel =fine. they were checking brakes, lights, engine mount bolts, I was pissed. just crazy, i thought the same thing about the "little guy cutting grass" THey changed my mine. thats all I have to say, I'll shut up now. I would just add springs to the back and timbrens up front to beef up. :)

nosparkplugs
12-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Hey it all depends on wat state you are in and how the state enforcesthe DOT rules. Here in Texas I can run a lot heavier rig than I could in colorado. In colorado if I was over 10001 that is combind gvwr I had to run dot. I do not care wat the rig was. I did not have to have a CDL however. Here in Texas I can skate under with up to 25000 lbs gvwr ( this is my understanding from a Texas Weights and Measures Officer). I ahve said before sevral months ago it depends on the state you are in. If you are unsure or you feel you have been ticketed unfairly check with the Local DPS office

I agree too.

we can list all the DOT, FMCSA laws until were blue in the face, give "real world" experiences's of portable scales being use'd, hefty over weight fines etc. Just the MASTER "GR" he knows it all:laugh:

Bottom line if you do not cross state lines you ONLY have follow your individual State's DOT laws. Ignorance is NOT bliss, and we should assume were all going to get stopped at some point during our career's.

Here in Tn you can operate without a CDL or DOT #'s up to 26,000GWVR towing your own equipment. That is as frickin Black & White as it gets. From that point I'm or we are intelligent enough to do the math. Now If I cross the border into a neighboring state I cannot assume TN law applies.

Some states allow for towing a trailer with a trailer, some don't.

4 seasons lawn&land
12-29-2008, 09:01 PM
4 seasons, i just have to know how cutting grass makes you invisible to dot??? This why we are getting a hard time from dot. I have everything legal, I worry about weight, because I too cut grass and more than you could ever dream of and I have been stopped and weighed in a 3/4 ton truck on the side of the road. doesn't matter what you have it registered at, matters what the sticker on your door says. Had my 3/4 ton rated at 11k, the guy laughed as he stroked me a fine!!! enjoy.

Yeah, you must be quite the big business success with the time and mentality to make post's like this.

wellbuilt
12-29-2008, 11:25 PM
I like to add a small spring lift , shocks, and BFG AT tires. The funny thing with the DOT is you don't need the DOT # s to be a target . They pulled my friend over today for hauling fire wood with out a tarp on his Ford ranger. Yes he was over weight by a lot and yes he has a fist full of tickets . I passed my CDL driving test today so now the DOT will have to find a new reason to write me up . I am confident they will think of some thing. John

hosejockey2002
12-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Must not be enough big rigs in PA. for the DOT to pick on pickup trucks there. In WA. they ignore anything under 16000 unless it is obviously grossly overloaded.

Gravel Rat
12-30-2008, 02:36 PM
The CVSE (DOT) is looking at everybody now it was last year the DOT stopped a car pulling a single axle rv trailer the inspectors scaled the axle on the trailer it was overweight by 300lbs the people got a fine for it.

Everything is fair game but if you are under the 5000kg (11,000lb) mark then your exempt from the serious grilling. What the CVSE is really looking for is if you have the proper license for a trailer over 10,000lbs if you don't you get a warning if its your second offence then the trailer stays on the side of the road and the CVSE has it towed to a impound yard and you don't get it back till you pay the fine.

ryry278
12-30-2008, 02:42 PM
My question is how many guys mowing tow over 10,000lbs. Not landscaping or hauling tractos and such, but i do not think i even hit 5,000lbs. I mean a 7x20 trailer holds up to 7,000 lbs so your not gonna go over. I tink the most i have hauled is 3 tons.

Gravel Rat
12-30-2008, 04:40 PM
It is the landscapers they are after that have skid steers etc. With mini excavator business being so rampant people are pulling heavier trailers.

I don't know if its the case in your area but sometimes the DOT will give you a sticker to put in your windshield if they have stopped you a few times with your largest load and your deemed safe the sticker alerts any of the inspectors to flag you through.

The biggest hit list for the CVSE(DOT) is cube vans especially E-350 Fords and 3500 Chevy with 14 and 16 foot cubes. The DOT knows those trucks have little payload and 99% of them are overloaded.

The electricians are bad for running overloaded E-350 Cube vans for service trucks. Those frigging vans are grossing a easy 15,000lbs when they are only supposed to be something like 11,000lbs.

cantoo
12-30-2008, 08:38 PM
I got pulled over last week here in Ontario. I was pulling a 4000kg trailer with my Dodge single wheel 3/4 ton truck. I had a Chev s10 pickup on the trailer at the time. I just got the trailer 2 weeks ago, my wife got the plates for it. According to the mot guy the trailer was legal to carry approx 500lbs yup 500 lbs. Think the licence gal made a mistake. He let me go and said to get it straightened out. I had a few other issues too ($2000 fine) but he let me go anyway.

ryry278
12-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Thats crazy. so you had a trailer that could handle alot more and you got a license that said only 500lbs?? That sucks.

coachbil
01-14-2009, 10:22 PM
I have a former DOT officer in Oklahoma check my stuff to make sure I am legal. He makes sure I have all the right paperwork in place and advised me on what type of truck and trailer to purchase. This is what he told me for Oklahoma. Look at the sticker on the door of the truck and it will have GVWR rating. (My truck is rated at 11,500) Then look at what your trailer is rated for. Usually the weight rating of the axles added together. (My trailer is rated for 14,000, two 7k axles). You add these two numbers together 11.5k and 14k and get 25.5k. To stay under CDL requirement is 26k, so I do not have to have a CDL to operate in Oklahoma but. When I cross the state line the threshold is 10k. I am not required to have a CDL but I do have to have a medical card and have have employment applications, time cards and so on. Basically everything a trucker has to have except log book and drug test. Remember to look at the sticker on the door of the truck and on the trailer and make sure they are under 26k

TXNSLighting
01-14-2009, 10:38 PM
I have a former DOT officer in Oklahoma check my stuff to make sure I am legal. He makes sure I have all the right paperwork in place and advised me on what type of truck and trailer to purchase. This is what he told me for Oklahoma. Look at the sticker on the door of the truck and it will have GVWR rating. (My truck is rated at 11,500) Then look at what your trailer is rated for. Usually the weight rating of the axles added together. (My trailer is rated for 14,000, two 7k axles). You add these two numbers together 11.5k and 14k and get 25.5k. To stay under CDL requirement is 26k, so I do not have to have a CDL to operate in Oklahoma but. When I cross the state line the threshold is 10k. I am not required to have a CDL but I do have to have a medical card and have have employment applications, time cards and so on. Basically everything a trucker has to have except log book and drug test. Remember to look at the sticker on the door of the truck and on the trailer and make sure they are under 26k

Yes we have all established this.