PDA

View Full Version : Squirt!!

jds720
12-29-2008, 08:05 PM
:dizzy:Im looking to add pesticide service to my existing lawn care business. I dont want to do fert, the company that does most of my lawns, do a great job! And one less head ache for me!!

So i already now i need to get the license here in FL. Which is pretty easy!
Ive already started studying up on chemicals.

But how do i promote the service, and what do i charge for it?

any thoughts?

tlg
12-29-2008, 08:11 PM
Pesticide business????? Since a pesticide controls a pest. What particular pest are you looking to control?

jds720
12-29-2008, 08:41 PM
wow! i ment herbicdes!! :hammerhead:

punt66
12-29-2008, 08:44 PM
wow! i ment herbicdes!! :hammerhead:

Its ok a hebicide is a pesticide. His point was what do you want to do if your not going to fertilize? Spray beds?

jds720
12-29-2008, 10:12 PM
ya pretty much. All my accounts have a large amount of plant beds with mulch, and brick paver drive ways and pool decks.

ICT Bill
12-29-2008, 11:18 PM
look at pesticides that are exempt by article 25b EPA, they have no caution statement.

Ric
12-30-2008, 09:59 AM
JDS

Don't get too excited about getting the LIMITED pesticide license. While it is easy to get, every mowing guy should have one to be competitive. IMHO spraying ornamental beds for weed is only a small part of your service package and the margin of profit from weed control is more along the lines of Good Will. If you are charging say $ 100 a month year round to mow a lawn say 36 to 40 times a year, Then by adding Weed Control you might be able to charge $ 110 a month. But in this economy with everyone and their brother now offering mowing, Weed Control only sets you apart as more a professional service at the same $ 100 price. Your ROI (return on investment) might better come in the form of increased volume at a little less margin because of weed control expense.

Now That same License with also allow you to do IPM ornamental pest control. If you add a Sarasota county Fertilizer license which is an other joke or tax stamp like the pesticide license. And learn plant care you can charge for Ornamental Care and fertilization. No way will those License allow you to do pest control in turf or use any thing other than caution labeled products.

BTW There is a brand new Ag Inspector in the Sarasota and surrounding counties area. After many years of being short of an Ag Inspector the new guy is out and looking like all new brooms. While I have not personal seen him I have heard via the grape vine he is out and about. I have not heard whether he is reasonable or a ball buster. But I have heard he has written a few people. My biggest crime is not attaching a picture to my current ID card. He has written a few for that. But until he learns the people and the area he will be looking hard and stopping many.