PDA

View Full Version : Annual Bluegrass (POA)?

Joemartinez316
12-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Hello Everyone. I have a couple questions and was hoping I could get some help with identify a particular weed that I have growing through my dormant zeon zoysia. This is the first time I have ever posted so I hope the attachments come through. Attached are 3 pics of what I believe is Annual Bluegrass or POA but I recently had a landscaper come out to provide me a quote for removal and he said that the weeds are fescue. Can somebody please confirm if the weeds are Annual Bluegrass or Fescue? Also, in the even that the weed is Annual Bluegrass, does anybody know of a publicly available herbicide that will target this particular species of weed? I have heard great things about Syngenta Monument but it's very expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Joe

larryinalabama
12-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Thats poanna, mabey some will chime in with a herbicide that wont kiil the Zosia

clallen03
12-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Im no experts but the small clump looks like poa and the larger clump on the last pic looks like fescue. Revolver works well on the fecuse clumps but I normally use a preemergent to prevent poa. Im sure you'll get some better advice from others that has more experience with cool season grass/weeds.

ICT Bill
12-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Bend over with a small garden shovel, insert shovel, pull weed, sprinkle a little compost, insert zoyzia patch from another part of the yard or from sod, repeat as needed

Non toxic and very selective

Joemartinez316
12-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Well this could take a while to pull by hand. Not to mention there are a million of little ones popping up everywhere. Will spraying a small amount of roundup on the weeds affect the existing zoysia since it's dormant? I appreciate everyones help. I might have a lot of work to do this weekend;)

VLTS
12-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Use revolver as a post emergent. Depending on weather temps. It will take a while to brown out. Then make sure sod is rooted and use dimension (dihtiopyr) as a pre emergent. After sod is well rooted, you could use any of the other popular pre-emergents. Control annual blue grass in mid September with a pre emergent is key for control.

Joemartinez316
12-30-2008, 05:00 PM
On average how much does revolver cost and where can I get it?

greenskeeper44
12-30-2008, 05:09 PM
you can use round up on the poa annua as long as the zoysia is dormant. The zoysia wont absorb during dormancy. Do not soak it in though. Make sure you use indicator dye so you don't over apply We had zoysia bunkerfaces and would go and spray round up on it during jan or feb while its dormant and then hit it with revolver in april and may while it was coming out of dormancy.

Turfdoctor1
12-30-2008, 07:35 PM
you can use round up on the poa annua as long as the zoysia is dormant. The zoysia wont absorb during dormancy. Do not soak it in though. Make sure you use indicator dye so you don't over apply We had zoysia bunkerfaces and would go and spray round up on it during jan or feb while its dormant and then hit it with revolver in april and may while it was coming out of dormancy.

your zoysia still has a lot of green to it. IMO, roundup could severely injure your zoysia.

I spot sprayed some fescue clumps last year during the first week of January, come April there were dead spots everywhere. big mistake, and i won't make it again.

as far as your weeds: you have annual bluegrass, probably some rough bluegrass, and the bottom photo is some type of annual ryegrass. The good news for you is that they are all annuals. You may have some fescue mixed in as well, but none of the photos that you posted are fescue.

Revolver is about $150-$200 an acre to spray, and you aren't going to be able to get any of it yourself. If you have a lawn care company spray it for you, they are probably going to charge about $10 per 1000 square feet.

Your options: (1) wait it out. the annuals will die when it warms up, then get on a good pre-emergent program, and you won't have to worry next year. (2) Chance the Roundup application. If you do this, go at a very, very low rate. poa is easily killed with R-up, so you might be able to get away with a light rate without injurying the zoysia. just don't try to spot spray every weed with a one gallon backpack. you will regret it in the spring. (3) Revolver/Monument. I am personally fond of the monument, and it will hammer that annual rye. Plus, you should be able to find small packets at a decent price. If it were me, this is what I would do.

AmGreen
12-31-2008, 11:05 AM

Hey Joe-
Round up will be the cheapest way to go, unless you can find some good 'ole MSMA. If you do go the round up way - back off on the app rate to about half. Hit it again in about 4 weeks with a 1/4 rate (if you've still got growth).
When was your sod laid? Earlier this summer or later? That may also be a determining factor for what you spray...
By the way - looks to me like you've got both Poa and Fescue clumps. Being in Holly Springs, I'm guaranteeing you've got Fescue clumps in there - probably from the contractor blend put down when built.

superintendent
12-31-2008, 01:10 PM
Zoysia does not like Round-up. spot hit the Poa with a eye drop or very lightly spray the poa and the poa only.

tremor
01-02-2009, 10:43 AM
That looks like avery recent install. Once the Zoysai is truly established the problem will lessen but won't go away 100%. You might need to try one of the new warm season selective herbicides like Sygenta's Monument.

http://www.syngentaprofessionalproducts.com/pdf/labels/SCP1134AL1A0805.pdf

Joemartinez316
01-03-2009, 11:49 AM
I appreciate everyones assistance. I think I'm just going to wait it out until the spring time for the poa to die off. I just put down Beyer All in one Weed Killer for lawns. I have a some broad leaf, chickweed and clovers all over and hopefully this will kill them off. It's been 2 days and I can already see the chickweed changing colors. Come spring time and next fall I'll throw down a preemergent. I would have used Syngenta Monument but I can't seem to find any since it's not sold in small amounts. Again, I appreciate everyone's help. This site rules!:)