PDA

View Full Version : Best built enclosed trailer??

scottm1
12-30-2008, 05:13 PM
I am looking for an enclosed trailer (12X6) and was wondering who makes the better built trailers. I found one locally here that is made by Doolittle, and it seemed like it could have been built better to me. I am not familiar at all with enclosed trailers and wondered if they were all made the same as the Doolittle I saw, or if there are heavier built ones out there. Thanks

ryry278
12-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Well if your willing to ship All pro on Ebay out of Georgia has some of the best prices by far and they have really great ratings in fact me and another guy on here are going to get ours in lat Jan. They are even vnose.. Are you sure you want that small of one though?

Green Pastures
12-30-2008, 05:22 PM
You're going to get a bunch of OPINION and ARGUMENT in opening a thread like this.

My OPINION based on your question is Avenger/Competitor.

Because I have one.

It's seen daily use for 7-8 years now and it's still in great shape.

I'm sure you can get lighter, sturdier, better paint, better wheels, more features, etc. but I just needed something that could carry all my equipment and keep it out of the weather when I wasn't using it.

YMMV

My best advice to you is see all that are available in your area, crawl under them and in and around them. Ask as many questions as you can, then make up your own mind based on you now being an educated consumer.

IdealLawnCare
12-31-2008, 03:37 AM
Ive been pullin an 6x12 Atlas enclosed for two years now and Im happy with it. The price was right. I drove about 500 miles to Coldwater MI. to get it. I bought it of of ebay at an online store. Great guy to work with. Ebay store is John's Trailer Maxx. or his website is www.woodsautocare.com Here are some photos of it. Hope it works.

Petr51488
12-31-2008, 10:20 AM
I have a haulmark and has held up pretty well. Only thing i had to do was have the trailer brakes fixed cuz the line got pinched between the leaf springs and also had to caulk the edges a few years down the road. It's on its third year and cost me around 3k.

Az Gardener
12-31-2008, 11:09 AM
I have owned and shopped enclosed trailers for about 15 years. What I have found is if you can find a reputable local company you will probably get a better trailer for about the same cost as the mass produced ones like Haulmark.

Locally it's a company called Trail Boss they only make trailers to order. Their trailers are made from square tubing then sheeted with 1/2" plywood then covered with the aluminum skin. It makes it much harder to dent and it is so strong you can walk on the roof.

Most trailers have hat track to frame their walls and put Luann inside and the skin outside. The aluminum skin is so thin it will dent just by shovel handles dropping against it.

The other places trailer companies cut corners is

Cheap junk jack stands that you cant lube.
Cheap junk door locks.
Cheap junk cable mechanism to lift the ramp door.
Cheap junk tongue that are difficult to latch or keep up prior to getting the ball positioned.
No spare or no secure place to store the spare.

All these items will appear fine and will be fine for the first year then it will be one aggravating thing after another.

I also like to get a RV tongue that is 5' instead of the typical 3' it gives you room to mount a nurse tank and eliminates the possibility if jackknifing when backing up.

If you buy new first thing get a good coat of wax on the trailer so it is easy to clean. Skip that step and you will regret it for years. Road grime just sticks to that unprotected aluminum and no amount of scrubbing will get it clean as new.

I agree that you may regret the size you are looking at later. It wont cost much more to go bigger and resale will be better. You will be surprised how fast the space goes.

ryry278
12-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Yea for $3000 you can get a 7x16 Allpro and the guy who makes them used to be the manger at PACE trailers. I dunno if he has the 5' tongue though since they are v-nose which is a really nice feature you should look at

scottm1
01-01-2009, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I went to ebay and looked at the Allpro trailers, and they appear to be a real value compared what I have been seeing. That Doolittle trailer I looked at had a galvanized roof that looked to be no heavier than HVAC ductwork sheet metal(26 ga).......... very flimsy. The floor looked very thin, and I just felt that there would be better built ones out there. And from you guys are saying, I am correct about that.

ryry278
01-01-2009, 01:31 PM
ALLPRO is a solid trailer i did a thread a little while ago on it and some people have had them for several years no problem and the price is unbeatable. You can join the list of getting one in Jan lol theres 2 of us already

dura to the max
01-01-2009, 02:26 PM
i dont know a lot about enclosed trailers. but i had an allpro that i was very impressed w/. interior was all real plywood, (1/2 walls and 3/4-1" floors?) 16" centers on studs and floor joists. heavy duty spring assist on rear gate etc...i bought it b/c it seemed to be the best for the money. i sold it b/c i did not like having an enclosed trailer, but would buy the exact same thing tomorrow given the need for such a trailer.

as far as size, if you use a 6x12 open trailer remember that you're going to lose some space going to an enclosed. get a 7x14 or 7x16 rather than staying w/ the same size as what you use now (especially w/ the mower i see listed in your sig line). also the larger trailers tow better since they're dual axle...it takes some of the sway caused by wind drag and such away. w/ that size mower and it being an enclosed trailer i would get dual axles just to give yourself room for error when loading. single axle+weight+SLIGHT loading error=sway. get dual axles.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
01-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Ive been pullin an 6x12 Atlas enclosed for two years now and Im happy with it. The price was right. I drove about 500 miles to Coldwater MI. to get it. I bought it of of ebay at an online store. Great guy to work with. Ebay store is John's Trailer Maxx. or his website is www.woodsautocare.com Here are some photos of it. Hope it works.

You have an enclosed trailer for lawn care without a rear ramp door????
I can't imagine the struggles!

actionlawn4u
01-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Look at American Hauler out of Elkhart Indiana I have found them to be the best trailer for the money.

IdealLawnCare
01-01-2009, 09:17 PM
You have an enclosed trailer for lawn care without a rear ramp door????
I can't imagine the struggles!

Yah, I know Im an oddball. I have a folding aluminum ramp for it so it is not to bad.