PDA

View Full Version : Compactor pad

PlatinumLandCon
12-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Anyone use a pad for compacting pavers so the metal-on-concrete doesn't leave white dots? I've heard of pieces of carpet, plywood, geo-tex, etc. I want something that I can put on and take off relatively easy and will last.

RhinoL&L
12-30-2008, 07:50 PM
i have heard that they work, but obviously ive never tried one...

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
12-30-2008, 08:36 PM
For us it depends on the paver and the compactor. If the pavers are tumbled I don't use a pad,if they aren't tumbled I do use a pad. A Belle compactor I used once left white quarter size dots all over. The other compactors I use didn't leave any dots. Those 2 compactors were a bomag and a wacker. These are my expereinces with these 3 compactors. So, if you have access to a pad you might want to use it just to be on the safe side.

Fiano Landscapes
12-31-2008, 12:18 AM
You can get on Pavetech's website and look at some options. Depending on your situation you can just designate a certain compactor on your fleet to use for this situation. We found it easier to have a compactor with a pad on it all the time used only for compacting the pavers after they are laid.

stuvecorp
12-31-2008, 12:48 AM
I have a pad from Pavetech, works fine for me. Take it on and off as needed but it is a 'one size fits all' so a little trimming to get to the right size.

zedosix
12-31-2008, 08:48 AM
A quick and cheap method would be to use a piece of non-woven filter cloth, the type you would use behind retaining walls. Just keep a 10' piece of it rolled up in the cargo and whats nice too is it keeps the dust to a minimum. The pads I haven't tried but I hear they work great.

PatriotLandscape
12-31-2008, 12:08 PM
We use a havy duty door mat with grommets installed it works great

steve5966
12-31-2008, 12:54 PM
We use this mat from paver tech. A little pricey but it works good and easy to install.

http://www.pavetech.com/tools/paversaver.shtm

BOEpavers
01-03-2009, 01:26 AM
We have one compactor dedicated to final compaction and it has a pad installed. When we first started out we had a single compactor and installing and removing the pad, though not difficult, was a pain, especially if you were doing the job in segments. The pad does slow down the forward motion of the compactor and I'm told reduces the compaction force somewhat.

PatriotLandscape
01-03-2009, 01:46 PM
it also reduces cracking and point loading.

ford550
01-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Pads work great! I have been called to many of "other" jobs, where there was nothing used between the plate and paver, you can easily see the difference. We have Wacker BU3050 reversible plates ($5500 each) with pads from wacker for their plates. We take them on and off when needed, no big deal. I think they were $700 each, but worth every penny.

2low4NH
01-04-2009, 06:16 PM
i use a thin horse stall mat on my patios works great but can be heavy

stuvecorp
01-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Pads work great! I have been called to many of "other" jobs, where there was nothing used between the plate and paver, you can easily see the difference. We have Wacker BU3050 reversible plates ($5500 each) with pads from wacker for their plates. We take them on and off when needed, no big deal. I think they were $700 each, but worth every penny.

I was going to order a factory Bomag pad but about choked on the price, the Pavetech was very cheap compared and I think it's worked well.

ford550
01-05-2009, 05:51 PM
was going to order a factory Bomag pad but about choked on the price, the Pavetech was very cheap compared and I think it's worked well.

Yeah, I choked too, but I was able to buy it when I bought my machines, so I got a better deal on them, if you know what I mean.

patpls
01-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Hey Guys, I've been using rubber car mats attached to the plate with nylon rope, never had any reason to complain- other than the money i kept in my pocket!

LB1234
01-06-2009, 12:19 PM
have a pad for compactor...two bolts and its on and off. Two people can have it on/off in less than five minutes.