PDA

View Full Version : Getting into Fertilizing

lukemelo216
12-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Hey everyone..........I plan on adding fertilizing to my services provided this year and just had a few questions.

1: I only plan to use granular fertilizer. Do i need to be licensed for these applications in WI. I am looking at either buying from my local JDL or a company called Conserve FS.

2. I have messed around with JDL planner, but I was wondering what everyone else's programs are like to compare. I intend to fertilize 4-5 times a year. I live in WI and our grass is generally Bluegrass and Fescue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BeautifulBlooms
12-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Fertilizing you can do without a license, but if you want to be able to spray pesticides ( herbicides, insecticides, fungicides) you need to be certified by the Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection. They offer classes to study for the test and they also have a book if you dont want to sit in class, you can study the book then take the test. Once certified it lasts 5 years, although i do not know the requirements for recertification, and you have to pay for the license every year for the business and each applicator.

Not many people are going to want fert only, so it would behoove you to get certified and license for pesticides, that is unless you plan on doing a completely organic program which you do not need to be certified to apply organic pesticides (I believe).

I offer a 5 step program (5 ferts and 3 herbicide treatments) that I consider to be flexible, meaning if there is such a drought that one of the fert steps is not recommended then i will skip the fert but still do the herbicide treatment.

Any other questions send me a PM.

rcreech
12-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Fertilizing you can do without a license, but if you want to be able to spray pesticides ( herbicides, insecticides, fungicides) you need to be certified by the Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection.

I would like to add something here that I think wasn't to clear to me in this post.

The way I read this you say SPRAY pesticides...but if applying a fertilizer containing pesticides you still need to have a license!

You still need a license to apply a GRANULAR product containing pesticides in WI don't you?

That is the way it is in OH anyway!

BeautifulBlooms
12-30-2008, 09:49 PM
Sorry yes you do, I shouldnt have said spray, granular fert products alone are fine but anything containing a pesticide also requires a license.

Sorry for the confusion!

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-30-2008, 10:58 PM
I agree with Beautiful....
Not many resi's at all will want a fert only program. Been there, tried that last season with little to no success (aka no customers). Thus my reason for getting my Appl. Lic for this next season.
People want the crabgrass gone, and the broadleaf weeds gone. So, fert and squirt is the way to go. Best of luck with your WI Pest Appl. Exam!