PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Chevy 2500 HD

DBFlawn
12-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Okay so I'm looking at a 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD right now. It is a regular cab long bed with 2 Wheel Drive. My Question is that I would like for it to sit as high as the 4 Wheel Drive Ones. What is my best option to do this. You can suggest a body lift but I honestly am not a fan of them and would like to avoid that. Are there any other things out there?

Thanks in advance
DBF

Jason Rose
12-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Well, there's a hundred lift kits out there, for just a 3 to 4" lift, suspension, it's going to run almost $1500. Body lift, with gap fillers that also has the bumper brackets to raise front and rear bumpers ~$400

Try 4wheelonline.com. Not sure how much lift you are wanting though... Looks like most kits for a 2500HD start at 6" That's a big jump, especially for a 2wd truck.

Skyjacker has a 3" Susp. lift kit, but it says it's for 4wd. Not sure if it's adaptable for a 2wd or not.

I did a 3" body lift on my 2000 GMC 1500 Z-71. After doing it I think the trucks look turned out great, and it was a pretty good value, BUT, it was a royal PITA install. I was under the assumption that a body lift would be easier, I think I was wrong. If I had to do it over again I'd do the suspension lift too. A lot fewer things (cables, brake lines, wires, and on and on...) are effected with a suspension lift.

DBFlawn
12-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Well, there's a hundred lift kits out there, for just a 3 to 4" lift, suspension, it's going to run almost $1500. Body lift, with gap fillers that also has the bumper brackets to raise front and rear bumpers ~$400

Try 4wheelonline.com. Not sure how much lift you are wanting though... Looks like most kits for a 2500HD start at 6" That's a big jump, especially for a 2wd truck.

Skyjacker has a 3" Susp. lift kit, but it says it's for 4wd. Not sure if it's adaptable for a 2wd or not.

I did a 3" body lift on my 2000 GMC 1500 Z-71. After doing it I think the trucks look turned out great, and it was a pretty good value, BUT, it was a royal PITA install. I was under the assumption that a body lift would be easier, I think I was wrong. If I had to do it over again I'd do the suspension lift too. A lot fewer things (cables, brake lines, wires, and on and on...) are effected with a suspension lift.

Yeah see thats why I'm here. Like I said....I don't prefer a body lift.....but I dont really plan to do MAJIOR off roading so I don't see the suspension lift being worth the money. I was just wondering if there was any other way for it to sit as high as the 4x4's. Are there any other solutions out there. have tried to research this but didn't find much.

Jason Rose
12-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Change out the torsion keys in the front, can get about 2.5" there, then a set of add a leafs in the rear. Not a huge gain, but fairly simple to install, still looking about $350 for everything though.

You can just crank the torsion bars in the front, I've done that on mine, have to get the front end aligned after though, and the ride gets a lot stiffer... And... I don't know that 2500HD's have torsion bars? Not fimiliar with them. If not, everything i posted was pointless, lol.

MileHigh
12-31-2008, 01:08 AM
Dude, it snows in Chicago...

Get a 4x4

DBFlawn
12-31-2008, 01:17 PM
Dude, it snows in Chicago...

Get a 4x4

Yeah I know this. But it will be my firt truck and I dont really think that many people will hire a 16 year old to plow. Also I am probably gonna get the truck for about 2 grand. It looks exactly like this
http://www.used-trucks-central.org/image.php?Id=666

I figured if I get it for 2 grand drive it for a year or two I cant go wrong. Then After that I will get 4x4.

DBFlawn
12-31-2008, 01:18 PM
Change out the torsion keys in the front, can get about 2.5" there, then a set of add a leafs in the rear. Not a huge gain, but fairly simple to install, still looking about $350 for everything though.

You can just crank the torsion bars in the front, I've done that on mine, have to get the front end aligned after though, and the ride gets a lot stiffer... And... I don't know that 2500HD's have torsion bars? Not fimiliar with them. If not, everything i posted was pointless, lol.

about the Torsin keys....correct me if im wrong but arent they named something like ready lift?

Jason Rose
12-31-2008, 02:21 PM
about the Torsin keys....correct me if im wrong but arent they named something like ready lift?

http://4wheelonline.com/Products.aspx?CategoryId=61958&ProductId=152677

That's the one... But I'm sure there's a dozen other brands out there. Once you start searching for lift options you will likely go broke :laugh: Don't forget about Ebay. I was going to buy my body lift kit from 4 wheel online, they were the cheapest "store" I found them, then I tried Ebay and saved like $50 overall.

If you don't plan on keeping the truck more than a year or so, 1. don't put a bunch of money into it, and 2. don't hack it up with oddball lift stuff. Unless a lift, of any size, is done right, it can de-value a truck... Many people do scoff at torsion bar mods, though replacement keys is the *proper* way to go. More than likely you will need to replace the front shocks though, they may not be quite long enough with the extra 2.5" of height.

I need to replace my shocks all the way around, but I need someone to just tell me what kind to get and what size. There's a million choices and I don't know where to turn.

DBFlawn
12-31-2008, 02:28 PM
http://4wheelonline.com/Products.aspx?CategoryId=61958&ProductId=152677

That's the one... But I'm sure there's a dozen other brands out there. Once you start searching for lift options you will likely go broke :laugh: Don't forget about Ebay. I was going to buy my body lift kit from 4 wheel online, they were the cheapest "store" I found them, then I tried Ebay and saved like $50 overall.

If you don't plan on keeping the truck more than a year or so, 1. don't put a bunch of money into it, and 2. don't hack it up with oddball lift stuff. Unless a lift, of any size, is done right, it can de-value a truck... Many people do scoff at torsion bar mods, though replacement keys is the *proper* way to go. More than likely you will need to replace the front shocks though, they may not be quite long enough with the extra 2.5" of height.

I need to replace my shocks all the way around, but I need someone to just tell me what kind to get and what size. There's a million choices and I don't know where to turn.

thanks for your help. Now I dont think I'm gona do it if i need new shocks and things like that.

Also another question I would like to ask is how were the 2001 6.0L engines? This one has 170,000 and i'm gonna look at it friday. What should I look for? How is that year for that engine? Can You guys help me or should I start a new thread?

hosejockey2002
01-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Okay so I'm looking at a 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD right now. It is a regular cab long bed with 2 Wheel Drive. My Question is that I would like for it to sit as high as the 4 Wheel Drive Ones.

You may want to park it next to a 4x4 and compare first. Not sure about the 2001, but my 2005 2WD 2500HD has exactly the same ride height as a 4x4, right down to fractions of an inch. If anything it sits too high for a 2WD truck.

On the engine, with 170000 miles on it it could be OK if it's had good maintenance. I can't find any GM 90% reliability ratings, but Isuzu rates the 6.0 for 200,000 miles. This 90% rating means that they expect 90% of the engines to last 200K without major repairs. With 170K you are taking your chances, but the motor might have a lot of good miles left.

DBFlawn
01-01-2009, 10:07 PM
You may want to park it next to a 4x4 and compare first. Not sure about the 2001, but my 2005 2WD 2500HD has exactly the same ride height as a 4x4, right down to fractions of an inch. If anything it sits too high for a 2WD truck.

On the engine, with 170000 miles on it it could be OK if it's had good maintenance. I can't find any GM 90% reliability ratings, but Isuzu rates the 6.0 for 200,000 miles. This 90% rating means that they expect 90% of the engines to last 200K without major repairs. With 170K you are taking your chances, but the motor might have a lot of good miles left.

Thanks for your help. About the miles....the truck was one owner since new and he says it has been maintained very well and has lot of life left in it. The guy is asking 2500.00 bucks so I figured it was worth at least taking a look at. From what I hear these 6.0's are almost bullet proof.

dura to the max
01-02-2009, 05:18 PM
the 2500HD sits about as high as the 4x4 equivalent. crank the torsion bars, maybe add the torsion bar keys, the put some blocks under the rear. i lifted mine 3" for about $75...

DBFlawn
01-02-2009, 06:41 PM
the 2500HD sits about as high as the 4x4 equivalent. crank the torsion bars, maybe add the torsion bar keys, the put some blocks under the rear. i lifted mine 3" for about $75...

Well I guess if they sit almost as high as the 4x4 thats close enough for me. The 1500 series 2wd sit so low its unbelievable

dura to the max
01-02-2009, 06:59 PM
yeah, the 2500 HD sits almost the exact same height as the 4x4. crank the t-bars and block the rear if you want and it'll be fine.