PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of WEED is this???

hgiljr
12-31-2008, 11:13 AM
Hello all, happy Holidays and Happy New Year. I have this weed on my easement and have tried several weed killers and all they do is kill the top but not the root. Grows right back. Any idea what kind of weed is this and what I can use to kill them? Thanks

VARMIT COMMISSION
12-31-2008, 11:23 AM
Almost looks like some type of dianthus.

KACYDS
12-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Virginia Buttonweed - Good luck on eradicating this one. Deal with this all the time. Manor and three-way gives me the best control. Will not totally get rid of it in St. Augistine and Centipede.

hgiljr
12-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Will look at my weed killer to see if it kills this type. All I can say is that i spray weed killer, it kills the top but not the roots. Just comes right back. ARRR Goal in 2009 is to get rid of this weed. Thanks

KACYDS
12-31-2008, 11:59 AM
What part of the country you live in?

hgiljr
12-31-2008, 12:00 PM
Are you mixing Manor and three way together or apply separately? I found Manor online but not sure what is three way. I wonder if my local lesco dealer sells this?

KACYDS
12-31-2008, 12:06 PM
Lesco does sell Three-way. and yes I do mix them together.

hgiljr
12-31-2008, 02:02 PM
I live in South Florida. Thanks again

olive123
12-31-2008, 04:40 PM
never had a problem getting them with atrazine

olive123
12-31-2008, 07:38 PM
oops... forgot thats not virginia buttonweed its whitehead broom.

olive123
01-01-2009, 09:45 AM
i just rered this post, are you sure your licensed? You dont know what three way is and you going to spray it on st aug in S fl? You WILL fry the turf.

pestguy
01-01-2009, 10:13 AM
It looks like it's Virginia buttonweed, but if it is not, Lontrel should take it out. It is extremely slow, so it will take approximately 6 wks. to kill it. I use Lontrel, at 1/2 oz 1,000 sq.ft. or 24 oz. an acre.

Ric
01-01-2009, 11:06 AM
i just rered this post, are you sure your licensed? You dont know what three way is and you going to spray it on st aug in S fl? You WILL fry the turf.

Olive

I use 3 Way on St Augustine this time of year and have good success with it. I will admit I go under label rate because it sure can stunt St Augustine.

hgiljr

Depending on which area of S Fla. and Which Ag inspector your chances of being caught doing unlicensed application can vary greatly. My area has a brand new guy and he is now out and about after many years of not even having a replace for the old Ag inspector. He is throwing the book at violators and fines can start at $ 5,000.00

Tuna3679
01-01-2009, 11:11 AM
If it is just your property I would simply pull it making sure to get the roots then apply a pre-emergent

hgiljr
01-01-2009, 12:11 PM
After googling both weeds, it is whitehead. So which is the best method to kill this weed? I have it all over the easement and a simple pull of the weed and roots will have me days sitting there. Again I am looking to mainly target wherever the weed is present. Thanks again guys...

olive123
01-01-2009, 12:37 PM
thats true ric, however you do have a LOT of trial and error exp. under your belt,
I cant tell you how many people i have seen eradicate their lawn with 3 way purchased at HD.

PESTGUY...you are aware that lontrel cannot be used on residential turf?

hgiljr
01-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Guys thanks for all info. My main target is not to spray the complete lawn but just spray where this weed is present on my easement. So which product after all the ones mentioned here should I use? Thanks

hgiljr
01-02-2009, 10:44 AM
So I see Lesco has two types of three way:
THREE-WAY ESTER II
Three Way Selective
Which is best recommended for this weed? Thanks and Happy New Year

Ric
01-02-2009, 11:08 AM
So I see Lesco has two types of three way:
THREE-WAY ESTER II
Three Way Selective
Which is best recommended for this weed? Thanks and Happy New Year

hgiljr

Assuming you are a homeowner I will give you an answer. Three Way Selective is the only thing I would recommend and then at only 1/2 oz per thousand sq feet. While the lower rate might take longer to show response it also won't stunt desirable turf as bad. Ester formulations are way to hot for warm season turf IMHO.

hgiljr
01-15-2009, 11:57 AM
I went ahead and got three way seletive and no results. I started with .75 oz per 1 gallon sprayer and no results. Not even the lawn around this weed was affected. I sprayed it on some other type weed and it somewhat killed it but not like a other home center weed killers that just kills it. I increased the mix to 1 3/4 per gallon and re-tried. Same results. I now increased it to 3.25 oz per gallon sprayer and no results. What am I doing wrong or what am I missing here? Thanks

Ric
01-15-2009, 12:10 PM
I went ahead and got three way seletive and no results. I started with .75 oz per 1 gallon sprayer and no results. Not even the lawn around this weed was affected. I sprayed it on some other type weed and it somewhat killed it but not like a other home center weed killers that just kills it. I increased the mix to 1 3/4 per gallon and re-tried. Same results. I now increased it to 3.25 oz per gallon sprayer and no results. What am I doing wrong or what am I missing here? Thanks

Spreader Sticker.

After adding Spreader Sticker go back to 3/4 oz rate this time of year. You might still find some weeds that are part dormant and are still not effected because of the weather. Weed kill has it's windows of opportunity. January is not one of those windows.

SpreadNSpray
01-15-2009, 12:11 PM
woops your in Fl

RigglePLC
01-15-2009, 12:46 PM
You probably don't think you have time for this. But perhaps you should calibrate your sprayer. Put in a gallon of water and spray concrete. Measure how many square feet you cover per gallon. Then mix according to ounces of Three Way per 1000 square feet. Get you dealer to help you if you can't do the calculations.

hgiljr
01-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Yep I am in South Florida. Actually our first main cold front now, low 55 and highs in the 70s but back to highs in the 80 next week. So not sure if the weather is a factor here. Will look into spreader sticker, but I found it odd that it was more expensive then the Three way per what the lesco rep told me. I will try what riggle said and calculate accordingly. Thanks again all.

southernsprayguy
01-15-2009, 04:50 PM
With the cooler temps you are about to recieve from Mother Nature, I would go with an ester formulation. Your rates are extremely important and knowing how much product you are applying per 1,000 is equally important. The only 3-Way product I use, well really a 4 way, and has never failed me is Speedzone Southern (Even in the Summer at lower rates). Yes it's expensive but it works and it's labeled for ALL turf species...and yes I have them all where I live. Good Luck!!!

Ric
01-15-2009, 06:40 PM
Yep I am in South Florida. Actually our first main cold front now, low 55 and highs in the 70s but back to highs in the 80 next week. So not sure if the weather is a factor here. Will look into spreader sticker, but I found it odd that it was more expensive then the Three way per what the lesco rep told me. I will try what riggle said and calculate accordingly. Thanks again all.

hgiljr

Maybe you are close to me since your weather seems to be Identical to mine. What city are you in????

BTW I get Bermuda and Crabgrass out of St Augustine but for a healthy price. That is one secret I am not giving way.

hgiljr
01-15-2009, 07:23 PM
I am in Miami, Florida.

Ric
01-16-2009, 01:21 AM
Hgiljr

My Daughter lives in Kendall. My son lives on South Beach. But I am on the Gulf Coast.

Try calibration to be sure you are spraying the correct amount and add Stricker Spreader this time. But wait until next week or so for the weeds to start growing after this cold front. The night time temperatures will cause the ground temperature to decrease below real active growth temperature.

southernsprayguy
01-16-2009, 11:54 AM
hgiljr

Maybe you are close to me since your weather seems to be Identical to mine. What city are you in????

BTW I get Bermuda and Crabgrass out of St Augustine but for a healthy price. That is one secret I am not giving way.

Ethofumesate aka Prograss plus Atrazine in the spring will knock it out!!! Good stuff....expensive...but good. Timing is critical so don't get that app. out too late. Late Feb. to mid March. Repeat in 30 days.

Ric
01-16-2009, 12:15 PM
Ethofumesate aka Prograss plus Atrazine in the spring will knock it out!!! Good stuff....expensive...but good. Timing is critical so don't get that app. out too late. Late Feb. to mid March. Repeat in 30 days.

Southern Spray guy

Glad you had success with Prograss but many who have tried here, have not. Several have burned up lawns.

But ProGrass does a great job of controlling Crab Grass in Bermuda. My own Bermuda lawn is Crab Grass free because of Prograss. BTW If you read the Label it says STPRESSION of Bermuda not CONTROL. There is a difference and at the price and now illegal label rate of Atrazine it cost as much as resodding. Sorry Prograss is not what I use, but I have tried it many different ways before using it up on my own Bermuda lawn.