PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Ram 2500 with a Hemi?

GreeneScape Inc.
12-31-2008, 01:27 PM
I am looking to purchase a new truck that will serve as a personal vehicle and if needed be able to hookup to my landscape, lawncare, or cattle trailer. My father recently purchased a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 with Hemi and 5 speed automatic transmission, 2wd with 3.93 gears and could not be more pleased with it and continues to call me and give me updates on how pleased he is with the gas mileage, 17 to 19mpg.
This started my search for a Dodge Ram 2500 with a Hemi and 5 speed automatic, "my other half can't drive a manual." I understand how great the Cummins diesels are and would love to have one but no matter which way I do the math cannot justify the price difference for a diesel, I simply just don't drive enough miles per year to make the numbers work in the diesels favor.
My question is for anyone out there who has or knows someone running a 2004 to 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 standard or quad cab with a Hemi and how they like it and what kind of MPG they are generally getting with a trailer and without.
One thing to keep in mind is that I live in a relatively flat rural area so there will be very little in town driving and no large hills to climb.
Any advice and/or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Gravel Rat
12-31-2008, 01:54 PM
All I know is they are pigs on fuel. Doesn't Dodge have any other gas engine choices or is the hemi all there is ?

If so go with a different brand like Chevy or a Ford.

TandM
12-31-2008, 08:01 PM
we have a service and lube truck thats a 2007 3500 dually with a service body and like 3-4000 pounds including the service body and it doesnt even feel it. it averages 15 mpg which is great! the hemi has some serious power I never feel underpowered even towing the 20 foot equipment trailer with steel and mini excavators on it. great truck!

Herrick
12-31-2008, 09:53 PM
my 07 2500 mega cab gets about 12mpg average running around town. I've seen 15.5 on the interstate before, and I usually see around 10 pulling a 18' open trailer. Never a lack of power. The newer ones with the multiple dispalacement are supposed to do better on the gas.

nosparkplugs
12-31-2008, 09:57 PM
I am looking to purchase a new truck that will serve as a personal vehicle and if needed be able to hookup to my landscape, lawncare, or cattle trailer. My father recently purchased a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 with Hemi and 5 speed automatic transmission, 2wd with 3.93 gears and could not be more pleased with it and continues to call me and give me updates on how pleased he is with the gas mileage, 17 to 19mpg.
This started my search for a Dodge Ram 2500 with a Hemi and 5 speed automatic, "my other half can't drive a manual." I understand how great the Cummins diesels are and would love to have one but no matter which way I do the math cannot justify the price difference for a diesel, I simply just don't drive enough miles per year to make the numbers work in the diesels favor.
My question is for anyone out there who has or knows someone running a 2004 to 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 standard or quad cab with a Hemi and how they like it and what kind of MPG they are generally getting with a trailer and without.
One thing to keep in mind is that I live in a relatively flat rural area so there will be very little in town driving and no large hills to climb.
Any advice and/or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Dodge uses a A518/618 47RH 4 speed in ALL V6 & V8 gasburners their is no Dodge 5 speed slushbox. The 47RE/48RE is used only in the V10 & Cummins trucks.

3.93 gears does not sound right check the glove box label on that?

First the Hemi in a 1500 is going to be sweet, like strapping a Hemi to a 2x4 with wheels & a seat:laugh:

I use to run the Dodge V8 magnums I sold one with 275,000 miles no oil leaks or oil consumption 8mpg towing:cry: 12mpg:cry:, while not a Hemi their close enough. The Hemi would be an improvement on the magnum block design.

The Hemi is a great engine, and for the cost you cannot go wrong. Also when there is nothing to compare it too?????

qualitylawnpro
12-31-2008, 10:02 PM
Had a 04 16 hwy. 7 to 8 pulling my dump trailer plenty power just no mileage it was a 2500 4x4 4 door weight wouldnt squat the truck handled it well!

GreeneScape Inc.
01-01-2009, 10:38 AM
NoSparkPlugs

In 2004 and newer Dodge Ram 1500, 2500, and 3500 trucks with a Hemi an optional 5 speed automatic was offered. The 5 speed wasn't offered in the diesels, however may now be offered in the 09 diesels. As for the 3.93 gears in my fathers it was ordered that way from the factory by the previous owner and the sticker in the glovebox does confirm 3.93 gears with a 5 speed automatic.

Thanks for all the comments, they have been very helpful and I look forward to hearing more.

Cheers and Happy New Year

punt66
01-01-2009, 10:47 AM
I have an 07 quad cab hemi. It tows great. Rides smooth. Fast as hell. Looks nice. Life time drive train warranty. Gets 13mpg in town not towing. 11 towing. 18 on the highway. My older dodge 250 gets 8mpg with the 360. No full size gasser with a V8 will do any better then the hemi mpg, there all about the same.

http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=11&pictureid=96

dura to the max
01-01-2009, 11:59 AM
by buddy has one, only its a 3500. great power, and its been a very reliable truck. gets about 12/14 period. however he is heavy on the gas...tows anything that the truck is rated for, and has good highway speed for driving. you cant feel a trailer back there.

dura to the max
01-01-2009, 12:02 PM
i do think however that the best gas engine in a 3/4 ton is the 6.8 liter v10 in the fords. we have about 206k on ours w/ no problems. tows great. and the fuel economy seems to be better than the Hemi. i think they're neck in neck as far as towing goes, maybe a little better w/ the ford.

TXNSLighting
01-01-2009, 02:01 PM
NoSparkPlugs

In 2004 and newer Dodge Ram 1500, 2500, and 3500 trucks with a Hemi an optional 5 speed automatic was offered. The 5 speed wasn't offered in the diesels, however may now be offered in the 09 diesels. As for the 3.93 gears in my fathers it was ordered that way from the factory by the previous owner and the sticker in the glovebox does confirm 3.93 gears with a 5 speed automatic.

Thanks for all the comments, they have been very helpful and I look forward to hearing more.

No theres been a 6 spd in the cummins since 07.

nosparkplugs
01-01-2009, 02:24 PM
I guess I have just not been reading up on what their putting behind these new Dodge 1500 trucks their is a 5 speed auto 45RFE it's origins were not a truck. My bad I was wrong, stand corrected.

if your going to be doing some heavy towing the 45RFE might not last; however with a lifetime powertrain warranty who cares right.

RFE stands for rear wheel drive, fully electronic. This is an electronically-controlled transmission with five forward ratios including an alternate second gear ratio for improved performance for passing and better fuel economy. It was designed for Jeeps but was used later in Dodge trucks; its first use was in the 1999 Grand Cherokee V8.

The transmission features a tall, 3.00:1 first gear that gives the driver better initial acceleration. Real-time driver adaptive shifting fine-tunes the shift pattern to the driver, while an alternate second gear ratio gives the driver five forward ratios. During acceleration, second gear has a ratio of 1.67. Depending on speed and throttle position, both this gear and an alternate 1.50 second gear ratio are available for kick-down operation, making the down-shift smoother. Its reverse gear ratio is equal to the first gear ratio, to allow for heavier loads.

Other features include three planetary gear sets that combine the widest range of gear ratios available in any transmission in its class. Combined with precise step selections, this brings smooth shifts and maximum power and optimal fuel economy.

The transmission is built at the Indiana Transmission Plant in Kokomo, Indiana, in an all-new 1.2-million square-foot facility.

GreeneScape Inc.
01-01-2009, 03:46 PM
NoSparkPlugs
Upon your first post I was second guessing myself as well about the five speed transmission and was looking, "but did not find," the detailed information that you just posted, thank you for the information, it is very helpful and good to know

JohnsonLawn
02-16-2009, 11:48 AM
I have an '05 2500 QC with the Hemi. It also has the 5spd. auto trans, 3.73 rears and come with the tow/haul mode which locks out the 5th gear. Plenty of power and I get around 15 highway and 12.5 city. Nice truck

EagleGrounds
02-17-2009, 10:48 AM
If you want to pull, i wouldnt go with a dodge, the trannies are CRAP, theyll go bad fairly quickly have have quite a bit of issues....

I would reccomend going with a Chevy 2500HD or F250 Super Duty!

Junior M
02-17-2009, 10:51 AM
If you want to pull, i wouldnt go with a dodge, the trannies are CRAP, theyll go bad fairly quickly have have quite a bit of issues....

I would reccomend going with a Chevy 2500HD or F250 Super Duty!
Thats total crap, Ryan, can we get some truthful facts in here?

TXNSLighting
02-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Yeh youre livin in the past eagle. Dodge has improved their tranny greatly. Very low failure rate, especially behind a gasser. Some 90's models were the ones with the bad trannies, but it wasnt as bad as alot of people made it. The ones will the real problems are the cummins trucks that get a little "hot" :laugh: The trannies can barely handle the power of the cummins, so add another 50 horse, and its like im done.

topsites
02-17-2009, 05:56 PM
This is the wrong year but it's actual data...

'95 D-2500 SLT Laramie 5.9L Magnum
I see about 17'ish without a trailer myself but I hardly ever drive that way, as a clue to how
often I drive it untrailered that data is from the original trip when I bought it.

With a trailer, about 11-11.5 and I've seen the odd 12 mpg but all of that uses
certain techniques commonly known as 'driving with load,' without those years
of practice I'd probably see more like 10-10.5

So unless you're familiar with load driving, I would figure just over or around 10

As for the trannies...
They are a lot stronger, I never see shavings in the pan like I used to with the '86 D-250 BUT...
The Dexron IV (yes 4) fluid that it takes costs $5+ a quart and it takes 5-6 of those,
plus if you're towing you NEED to change trans fluid and filter every 10,000 miles.

An oil cooler would help as well.

The upkeep's not the cheapest, but it is a good truck.

TXNSLighting
02-17-2009, 06:07 PM
This is the wrong year but it's actual data...

'95 D-2500 SLT Laramie 5.9L Magnum
I see about 17'ish without a trailer myself but I hardly ever drive that way, as a clue to how
often I drive it untrailered that data is from the original trip when I bought it.

With a trailer, about 11-11.5 and I've seen the odd 12 mpg but all of that uses
certain techniques commonly known as 'driving with load,' without those years
of practice I'd probably see more like 10-10.5

So unless you're familiar with load driving, I would figure just over or around 10

As for the trannies...
They are a lot stronger, I never see shavings in the pan like I used to with the '86 D-250 BUT...
The Dexron IV (yes 4) fluid that it takes costs $5+ a quart and it takes 5-6 of those,
plus if you're towing you NEED to change trans fluid and filter every 10,000 miles.

An oil cooler would help as well.

The upkeep's not the cheapest, but it is a good truck.

Change the tranny fluid every 10k?? Not quite bud. Thats a huge waste of money. the recommended is every 30k. and most people dont even do that.

mag360
02-17-2009, 07:57 PM
Good catch nospark. The 545rfe is definitely a whole different animal. This trans is used in almost every application behind the 3.7/4.7/5.7 engines (from the cars to the 3500 dually trucks).

Topsites the mopar +4 tranny fluid can go longer than 10,000 miles even towing. The trick with the mid nineties trans was to use dextron (for the extra grip) and change fluid often because it breaks down faster than the mopar synthetic stuff. It doesn't handle the heat that the sloppy torque converters of the nineties produce as well but is much grippier. Like using the type F trans fluid (which is grippier still) in an older 727 trans.

MDS is not available on the 2500 series dodges with the hemi (even though the salesmen will let you think so to make the sale).

EagleGrounds
02-18-2009, 08:27 AM
I stand corrected!

I would still go with a 2500HD or F250 though!

Junior M
02-18-2009, 08:32 AM
Change the tranny fluid every 10k?? Not quite bud. Thats a huge waste of money. the recommended is every 30k. and most people dont even do that.
Most dont, but we changed ours not to long ago, since we bought it used we arent even sure if it had been changed before and we couldnt believe the difference it made in the truck (2500hd) Its running around 100 to 110 degrees depending on what we got behind it, before it was running around 200 degrees with nothing behind it, it got up in the 225's pulling the excavator numerous times, we thought it was normal since it had done that since we bought it...

Junior M
02-18-2009, 08:33 AM
I stand corrected!

I would still go with a 2500HD or F250 though!
Can I ask why you would go with Ford or Chevy over Dodge? They are all equally capable in a 2500 gas truck..

nozzlehead
02-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Greenscape, I just found your post. I hope you didn't buy one yet. I have a 2004, 2500, 4x4, QC, short box. I love the features! As for the truck, I just turned 60,000 miles, I am getting ready to replace yet another front u-joint. This will be my third one since the first one went at 36,000. I have replaced a front hub (40,000) which was not covered under the power train warranty ($580.00).:confused: I haven't figured that one out yet. I have replaced both rear u-joints. I did these myself because I was tired of Dodge not using greasable u-joints. I have water dripping out of my grab handle. On this I have found several bulletins on line FROM DODGE but I still have to pay for them to look into it. My drivers door speaker works now & then. The drivers rear speaker doesn't work at all anymore, along with the power door lock and the dome light doesn't come on any more with that door. They said they have had other problems like this but theres no recall or anything. BUT, I can bring it in so for $75hr, they can look at it & tell what wrong. NOT FIX IT, just tell whats wrong. They (dodge) have admitted that the 2500 series used an undersized u-joint in the front end but I still have to pay a deductible to have it replaced. These things aren't greasable and always turn. They are going to wear out. And they do! I overlooked this when I bought the truck. Shame on me, I knew better! As for mileage: the 1st 10-12 months I had it, I got 18-19 on the highway & 15 around town. It was great. Once that first year hit, it dropped to 15-16 HW & 12 in town. It dropped like a rock. I took it in, had a scan done, nothing was wrong. But they couldn't tell me why it dropped so fast. Now, at 60,000 miles, I get 13-14 HW & 10 in town. I traded in a 94 chevy z71 w/194,000 miles when I bought this new. I wish I had my Chevy back. If I was going out today to buy a new truck, I would buy:

GAS: GM - 6.0L - 2500 or 3500
DIESEL: GM w/ Duramax 3500 or FORD diesel 3500

Junior M
02-18-2009, 10:46 AM
My Brother has a 2005 Dodge 2500 CCLB cummins, and he has had a problem with the front end, but it didnt start until he started pulling and running through the fields all the time, but before that he never had a problem, but he is now on replacing his 3rd U-joint..