PDA

View Full Version : another new guy question??

qball
12-31-2008, 02:41 PM
hi im a new guy, just have a question, anybody here ever switch careers, im thinking on it now, i have a 9-5 job, and the money to dump into the business, just wondering if anybody has ever gave up on the 9-5 to start their own business??

Tuna3679
12-31-2008, 05:11 PM
This is the only full time job I've ever had but I tell you what I get to spend all day everyday outside mowing grass and listening to music...and I get paid to do it you just can't beat it. This line of work definitley has it's downside but to me (especially as an owner) it has always been worth it.

DLAWNS
12-31-2008, 05:57 PM
I used to work for Brickman and I had just had enough, so with the wife's permission of course, I quit in the beginning of February. We were kind of thinking about doing it for a while. By early April we were full steam ahead.

DLAWNS
12-31-2008, 05:58 PM
I almost forgot...Welcome to the site. I look forward to talking with you.

jaybow
01-04-2009, 02:07 PM
hi im a new guy, just have a question, anybody here ever switch careers, im thinking on it now, i have a 9-5 job, and the money to dump into the business, just wondering if anybody has ever gave up on the 9-5 to start their own business??

You better keep the 9-5 while you are starting up.Your first couple of years you will probably barely make a profit.There is an endless list of equipment to get to be compatible and efficient.There is also alot of maintenance to consider. In this buisness you should also be mechanicly inclined to fix your own equipment.Let me tell you there is alot of lowballers out there right now and they make things verry hard.Another thing to consider is drought and weather patterns. Man when you see the dry weather moving in Michigan it really turns your stomach. But its not impossible to succeed you just have to play your cards right. You will also have to do snow,and anything else you can add to the buisness to make a profit throughout the year.
Good luck and God Bless!

jaybow
01-04-2009, 02:09 PM

Oh and I am going into my third year and still working another job along with landscaping.For me a night job works best.I also have a wife two kids and a house to take care of.

TMK
01-13-2009, 10:13 PM
I was in corporate accounting after college for 15yrs. Now after being dowsized for the second time I am going for what I love_being outdoors, mowing grass. I will be using all I have learned in school/corporate to help run the business. If it is truely what you love & want to do you can make it work_not easy_but what is that is really worth something.

good luck

Glenn Lawn Care
01-15-2009, 07:24 PM
dont give up er 9 to 5 alot of money and time goes into lawn care. sometimes the magic dont happen for at least 3 years sometimes shorter or longer

Five points, On. Can
01-17-2009, 11:34 AM
I was 35 and started up, married, 4 kids , mortgage, sent my kids to christian school. Never looked back. I was a golf course superintendant 13 years, turned sour so I quit. Three months at a factory, hated it. Spent two years in landscape construction and realized I loved grass. Couldn't see going to the back door for a paycheck the rest of my life. If you are willing to work harder than ever, willing to do most anything, and work honestly you will succeed

Lucky Star Lawn Care
01-19-2009, 04:24 AM
Keep the 9-5 for now come up with the basics you want to cover. Since you are starting from scratch get some ad's out the to stir up some business. See what you get from that you might only pull in enough that you could knock them out on the weekends while still doing the 9-5. Because if you have the money and if those ad's work out for you you can get what you need based on the responses. Dependin on how much you $$ you have laying around look to see if anyone might be getting out of the business and selling their company, that's a good base to start with. Good luck with your move. Keep us updated

Yard.Barber
01-19-2009, 01:39 PM
New guy here also.

I worked at part-time first and took most of that money to slowly get the things I will need. Plan on buying a larger walk behind after tax money comes back. Knowing that I was getting to the end of working for somebody else and completely frustrated put a plan in place so when I did walk out there would be no looking back. My plans got delayed a bit due to medical reasons and had to bailout from that first. Beginning of this year I walked out of the 9-5 job and putting all into making it.

A few words of advice since I have just done this.

- I learned the hard way that something can come along when you aren't expecting it and put a crunch on your finances, so unless you have the money sitting around for a rainy day make sure you plan for it.

- Start off part-time and work your way up to it, this will allow you to buy equipment, get things settled in and hopefully keep debt out of the way for payments on the stuff. I've read on here though where some people started right off the bat but they had the money to do so.

- Not sure what you do right now but network.. I was a facility manager so had/have contacts that I use to help me with things and input.

- When picking a name besides making sure it is not used already with the state/county also check domain name to see about availability.

- Look at all your cost, thought I did and was pointed out just today about retirement, I overlooked this one.

- In my case my wife works and her income pretty much covers our bills, so after getting back on track with things we will not be paying more than is coming in. But really look at this one, if you are struggling really bad now I say go part-time.

- I personally don't jump at every bid which I might have been asked to give, this is mainly for commercial. Since the bigger normally require workers comp. insurance and also I am not setup to handle large properties like that. I do a couple small ones that did not ask or require workers comp.

- Upsell your services, push the mulching/pine straw, aerating, dethatching etc.

And the best thing I can say is READ, READ, READ. I spent many many hours just reading threads that went back 5 years and have learned a lot and plenty still to learn.