PDA

View Full Version : Killing a tree without killing grass?

mecula
01-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Hi all,
This is probably a stupid question, but is there a way to kill a tree without killing the grass around it? The method I will be employing will be the super soaker behind the fence method. I can't drive a spike into the tree, notch the tree or even touch the tree. Obviously, I can't cut the tree down either...haha.
I have heard that the Spike chemical from DOW works really good but I assume it kills grass as well?
Thanks!

DLAWNS
01-01-2009, 04:23 PM
I'm guessing you are trying to kill a neighbor's tree that you don't like? Did I hit the nail on the head?

tamadrummer
01-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Don't come on here and ask professional people how to screw your neighbor.

Figure it out for yourself or........ now this is going to seem crazy...... keep your property clean and don't worry about your neighbors tree.

Or even crazier, talk to them and offer to pay to have a professional tree company come and properly prune or even remove the tree.

It is just plain stupid to ask a question like this to licensed applicators that pride themselves on IPM and other friendly practices not in total destruction of a neighbors property.

greendoctor
01-01-2009, 04:59 PM
What you are asking for is how to commit chemical trespass. A criminal offense. This is a violation of all kinds of laws.

mattfromNY
01-01-2009, 05:14 PM
you're right. it is a "stupid question"

JB1
01-01-2009, 05:19 PM
all kind of ways. http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/785639.html

tremor
01-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Buy the lot where the offending tree is located. Cut it down with a chainsaw (no chemicals). Sell the lot.

Problem solved without breaking the law.

Ric
01-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Buy the lot where the offending tree is located. Cut it down with a chainsaw (no chemicals). Sell the lot.

Problem solved without breaking the law.

Tremor

My thoughts have been what a stupid mistake to poison a tree that the neighbor might not have the money in this economy to have removed, The dead tree now becomes an even greater Liability of falling branches or even falling over.

Too many times have I seen that beautiful tree cut straight up from the property line. Any thing over the line has been clean cut in a very chopped manner. Of course this makes both properties undesirable and shows the world what a hard to get along with fool the tree chopper is.

BTW I enjoy the shade my trees offer me. This time of until April I will be drinking Fresh Squeezed OJ right off my trees.

tremor
01-02-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm with you Ric. This poster won't spend one dime now that copper pennies have failed.

I've been a CT certified Arborist since 1988. I love trees too. I also know how to quietly kill trees with herbicides. But I can also ID the effects. It isn't all that difficult to autopsy these deaths.

Ric
01-02-2009, 02:15 PM
I'm with you Ric. This poster won't spend one dime now that copper pennies have failed.

I've been a CT certified Arborist since 1988. I love trees too. I also know how to quietly kill trees with herbicides. But I can also ID the effects. It isn't all that difficult to autopsy these deaths.

Tremor

I let my ISA Cert laps but I agree Herbicide and fungal death may be similar but are different enough to tell apart.

mecula
01-03-2009, 05:09 AM
Wow...Spike is pretty spendy not to mention hard to find. I just bought a half gallon - hopefully that was enough. I managed to get quite a bit directly beneath the tree. I guess now I just have to wait & see. Its about a 40 foot pine tree so it should start to turn brown when it takes effect.
Thanks for the advice!

Ric
01-03-2009, 09:25 AM
Wow...Spike is pretty spendy not to mention hard to find. I just bought a half gallon - hopefully that was enough. I managed to get quite a bit directly beneath the tree. I guess now I just have to wait & see. Its about a 40 foot pine tree so it should start to turn brown when it takes effect.
Thanks for the advice!

mecula

Just remember, What goes around - Comes around. It might not come around quickly but it will come around given time. You have to live next door to the people you just screwed.

mngrassguy
01-03-2009, 06:51 PM
This thread belongs in the trash bin.

KACYDS
01-04-2009, 12:01 PM
I have a suggestion. Send your neighbors on a 5 day cruise. While they are away, cut down the tree. When they come back, tell them that lighting strucked the tree, and you had it cut down for them. Then, give them the bill for the tree removal. Problem solved.

lol:laugh::laugh::laugh: