PDA

View Full Version : Roots left behind from previous bushes?

JShe8918
01-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Hey i am new to the whole landscaping side of things or maybe i should say landscape prep. side. A customer contacts me and ask me if i could remove some shrubs from her yard for her. Of course i say yes and rent a track skid steer. Well i get over to her house and i walk around marking all the bushes to be pulled. We removed all of the bushes from one side of the house with ease... The next side is rooted in red clay. Well needless to say they just broke off and left the roots and rootball in the ground. I removed the rootball but what should i do with the rest of the roots.. Can i just till over them or will the bushes sprout from those again? What is your recomendations for future situations? Thanx for any and all the help.

White Gardens
01-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Hey i am new to the whole landscaping side of things or maybe i should say landscape prep. side. A customer contacts me and ask me if i could remove some shrubs from her yard for her. Of course i say yes and rent a track skid steer. Well i get over to her house and i walk around marking all the bushes to be pulled. We removed all of the bushes from one side of the house with ease... The next side is rooted in red clay. Well needless to say they just broke off and left the roots and rootball in the ground. I removed the rootball but what should i do with the rest of the roots.. Can i just till over them or will the bushes sprout from those again? What is your recomendations for future situations? Thanx for any and all the help.

Generally I've found that if you get the Apical Stem (main root ball) then 90% of the time no new sprouts will come back.

Next time, take the bucket of the skid steer and try to "pop" the soil around the shrub so the root ball comes out easier, that's if you have room.

What kind of shrubs and bushes were they??

Smallaxe
01-01-2009, 06:03 PM
The kinds of bushes makes all the difference in the world.
Whether you need to remove the roots , depends on what you are going to do there.

If they do not sprout - they will rot. Will that be a problem?

JNyz
01-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Use a stump grinder next time.

Chrysalis
01-02-2009, 05:26 AM
I dont you should worry about it unless they are invasive, they tend to be able to grow outta anything. But the root rotting underground no boggie unless your going to be planting there and then they will just get in the way.

JShe8918
01-02-2009, 11:10 AM
The ones that i am going to have to dig the root ball up are camellias and the others are wax myrtles. I am going back in the morning to try and finish up

packey
01-05-2009, 11:37 PM
The camillias should come out pretty decently if you will dig out around the root ball. I can tell you from experience to remove as much of the roots as possible especailly if the shrubs are hollies. I have a landscape right now that gives me headaches becasue a landscape company just pulled the chinese holly bushes and did not give any thought to the remaing roots.

JShe8918
01-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Well it has been extremely rainy here and today was the first day it didn't rain. i went to the house with camellias today and we dug them out and pulled out as many roots as possible... The is a good sized oak to the immediate right of the bed and guess why the bushes broke off instead of pulling roots and all. They were wrapped around the roots of the tree.... So i got rid of most all of the roots in the bed including a few nice size tree roots. Then i tilled the area to a nice and clean bed and of course raked it smooth. She was originally going to re-landscape the area herself but now she told me to get her a plan and it was mine. I also have a question about charging her for the job. I pulled 6 large shrubs and 3 small on one side and then another 9 wax myrtles on the other. The total time to get there and pull the shrubs was 1 hour and 15 minutes using a skid steer solo and then another three man hours just cleaning and tilling. What would be a good price for all of the services provided. Thanks for all of your help.

JNyz
01-08-2009, 07:12 AM
Well it has been extremely rainy here and today was the first day it didn't rain. i went to the house with camellias today and we dug them out and pulled out as many roots as possible... The is a good sized oak to the immediate right of the bed and guess why the bushes broke off instead of pulling roots and all. They were wrapped around the roots of the tree.... So i got rid of most all of the roots in the bed including a few nice size tree roots. Then i tilled the area to a nice and clean bed and of course raked it smooth. She was originally going to re-landscape the area herself but now she told me to get her a plan and it was mine. I also have a question about charging her for the job. I pulled 6 large shrubs and 3 small on one side and then another 9 wax myrtles on the other. The total time to get there and pull the shrubs was 1 hour and 15 minutes using a skid steer solo and then another three man hours just cleaning and tilling. What would be a good price for all of the services provided. Thanks for all of your help.

I would charge 250.00 plus your drive time unless you included that and time for the skid steer. If you own the skid steer I would charge 175. If you rented it, just charge the rental price plus your time getting it to the job.

White Gardens
01-08-2009, 05:38 PM
200 Labor + Rental.

JShe8918
01-09-2009, 01:30 AM
Well i got the machine for multiple jobs... I took her a bill today about 4 oclock and by 5 i had a check for the amount and she said that price was perfect. LoL... I charged her 225 to do it all so i feel great about it now that i see all of your prices. I rented the machine mainly for my house i used a harley rake on my one acre back yard and seeded it with lesco double eagle rye for now and then coming in with either zoysia or centipede when the time is right. I just got this as a side job to pay for most of my rental... I hope that price was close to inline with what you all would have charged.