PDA

View Full Version : Mulch Question

Jmill88
01-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Stupid question.... I am starting to offer mulch installation next year, but I have a SUV. Just wondering if anybody puts mulch in their open trailer. Do I need to have wood sides or will it stay in the trailer pretty well? Should I use a tarp? I could use bags, but it generally isn't as good quality.

DLAWNS
01-01-2009, 11:17 PM
Stupid question.... I am starting to offer mulch installation next year, but I have a SUV. Just wondering if anybody puts mulch in their open trailer. Do I need to have wood sides or will it stay in the trailer pretty well? Should I use a tarp? I could use bags, but it generally isn't as good quality.

I would say that you should build up some walls and use a tarp. That way it all stays on the trailer and you should not have any problems getting pulled over.

Kennedy Landscaping
01-01-2009, 11:19 PM
I use bags, but have hauled it on my open trailer. As for the sides, it just depends on how much you're hauling. If it aint too much then just put it in the center and you'll be good. I have thought about sides for mine but don't really need them

SunState Lawn Care inc
01-02-2009, 12:03 AM
We use bags here as well a whole lot easier and not hardly any difference in cost per yard just plain easier for us that way.

JKOOPERS
01-02-2009, 01:35 AM
i mulch with an open trailer. go to home depot or lowes and buy 2 sheets of plywood and cut them in half long ways and place them along the sides of the trailer. on my 16 ft trailer i can get 4- 5 1/2 yards of mulch on it. any job over 10 yards i get the mulch delivered by tandem and have them piles through out the complex.

MOW ED
01-02-2009, 06:16 AM
I would say to build some type of sides on the trailer. I use my lawn trailer but it has 4 foot slatted sides on it. I put some masonite along the boards just to keep it from falling out but I don't really need to. An open trailer may be nice to get at the mulch and if you are able to tarp over it I guess it would work ok. You can get much more on the trailer with sides, my 14' trailer will hold 7 to 8 yards of cedar with the wheelbarrows and shovels.

punt66
01-02-2009, 07:57 AM
I would highly recommend a pickup. Many people in my area use trailers but they work twice as hard. If you use a pickup you can put the wheel barrow right up to the gate and load it with a mulch fork very quickly and without having to bend over. I can go through 5 yards of much very quickly that way. Have 1 guy loading a barrow(always me because im fast) and the other guy dumping it. Use 2 so when the guy comes back for more another is ready for him. I can lay alot of mulch that way. I have an insert in that pickup ans well so i can dump in accesable areas to unload the last bit. With the sides i can put 5 yds. 6 if i pushed it but 5 is heavy enough.

soloscaperman
01-09-2009, 10:54 PM
But it says your solo?

mdvaden
01-10-2009, 12:54 AM
What do you call an "open" trailer?

Some I have delivered.

Small amounts to 2 yards, I put in my "open" trailer. It's a 6 x 12 with sides about 2' high.

I just tarp over the top to stop the stuff from blowing.

Actually, I save the 40 gallon tree pots, and line the bottom of the trailer with them, and have the bark dumped onto and around them. Then I just tilt the wheelbarrow forward to touch the deck and slide a pot into the wheelbarrow or dump it into it.

Saves most shoveling for unloading. Then I just stack the pots, and anchor them so they don't float out with wind returning.

JDUtah
01-10-2009, 02:10 AM
If you have enough volume at the property... delivered for sure!

Enough volume = more than one trailer full...

bighaydenslawn
01-10-2009, 12:49 PM
I don't do enough big mulch jobs that I need to worry, I have only done a few small ones. I purchase bagged mulch and haul it in my cart behind my ZTR and include it in the bill so that I am making $1.00 or so per bag. My dad would be there with his truck if I ever needed to haul bulk mulch for a larger job. The ones I have done have all required less than 10 bags of hardwood mulch.

White Gardens
01-14-2009, 05:00 PM
We use bags here as well a whole lot easier and not hardly any difference in cost per yard just plain easier for us that way.

Just make sure it's quality.

Check out this example of bad mulch. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=251024

Lucky Star Lawn Care
01-16-2009, 03:30 AM
Get some plywood like already said..or give me a call and will use my new dump truck to dump it on site for you...for a small price payup I really don't suggest using the bags of mulch we have here its not to cheap

Woody82986
01-28-2009, 06:47 PM
When I get bulk mulch I just have them load it on my open trailer. I only have 1ft sides on my trailer and I don't tarp it (hardwood mulch). From what I have done, I've never seen any of it blow around. If you are going to be driving on a highway I would tarp it, but if you arer just running from one side of town to the other then I wouldn't bother.

jiggz
02-02-2009, 06:43 PM
I always have it delivered.. last time i got 14 yards and the delivery charge was only like 40 bucks.. i would see what they charge before you even mess with moving it yourself.. alot of he time its jut not worth it

punt66
02-02-2009, 06:52 PM
I always have it delivered.. last time i got 14 yards and the delivery charge was only like 40 bucks.. i would see what they charge before you even mess with moving it yourself.. alot of he time its jut not worth it

I like to dig it out of the truck with forks right into the barrows. Its better then digging from the ground. It also keeps the place clean and you dont have to load back up the extra. If you dont finish the mess goes home with you and not left with the customer. Bagged mulch is generally bad stuff.

Scagguy
02-03-2009, 05:07 PM
I like to dig it out of the truck with forks right into the barrows. Its better then digging from the ground. It also keeps the place clean and you dont have to load back up the extra. If you dont finish the mess goes home with you and not left with the customer. Bagged mulch is generally bad stuff.

I think it depends where you get your mulch. Last year, we purchased over 150 pallets of mulch from these guys www.austinwoodrecycling.com and not once had a problem. Sure, it helps that they are local and they turn their inventories quickly. But, if you're buying mulch from Wally World and the like, you have no idea what you're getting or how long it's been laying around.