PDA

View Full Version : Aerating large lots?

Littleriver1
01-02-2009, 10:55 AM
All my locations are 1 to 5 ac. Does any one use a 3 Point Hitch aerator? I have the tractor but this is not the time to buy equipment that doesn't get used.

triadpm
01-02-2009, 05:48 PM
I have been thinking about buying one myself, but how much use will it get?I saw one yesterday on Craigslist in the York Pa. section, it was in Jarretsville MD. $400.00 if I remember right. I could use it in my pasture at least twice a year with that fatazz horse out there.

cantoo
01-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Littleriver, I buy and sell equipment fairly often. Used 3 pth aerators can be had pretty cheap. Last couple 6' ones I bought were decent shape and around $100 each. Check local golf courses sometimes they have old ones sitting around rusting.

Mimowerman
01-04-2009, 09:23 PM
or look up a rental store sunbelt rentals is a national chain I have rented from before with a 3pt hitch

ZSpray Info
01-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Just in case you haven never seen our zero turn aerator

http://z-spray.com/plugr.html

DUSTYCEDAR
01-06-2009, 03:33 PM
i have a z-plug what a great machine

Marek
01-06-2009, 04:13 PM
If you have several 1 acre plus places and dont want to lay out a up to 1500.00 then you arent charging enough, once you have it and its paid for think of what it will give you in return. Call your local lesco they are blowing out all the "Lesco " equipment to bring in the Deere stuff. Also watch ebay and craigslist , lots of guys unloading stuff and going under.

naughty62
03-07-2009, 06:13 AM
A lot of the three point aerators require you zip across the property . extracting the plugs from corroded spoons some times require a little speed and cleaning the spoons helps.Many that we looked at were cheap and good shape but the 3/4 inch closed spoons were now burred,coroded and 1 inch in diameter .72 spoons @ $5to$6 each deters people .Many of them have had several owners because no one is willing to spend a little cash on spoons or time to keep em deburred,clean and lubed .I would suggest trying one out before buying it .sometime you have to pick your battles .We bought a real clean 5footer with wore spoons for $200 .So I have to have little elbow room on larger properties andcarry a walkhind for tight spots .soil conditions is another consideration.If nothing else for $200 , it looks good setting in the yard most of the time.

White Gardens
03-07-2009, 12:14 PM
If it were me, I would go with a z-spray setup, or sometimes you can rent larger pull behind aerators to pull behind a mower. They are harder to maneuver, but you could always use a walk behind to fill in the gaps.

I've aerated large open areas around an apartment complex with a tractor and three point, but I didn't like it. I felt I was tearing up the turf and compaction it more than I was doing any good.

Got to weigh the advantages and disadvantages as much as possible.

nccutter
03-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Here's what I have. Is there something that I can spray on this to make the plugs come out better?