PDA

View Full Version : New Logo, Website

TomberLawn
01-02-2009, 10:58 PM
I made a logo a couple days ago to put at the top of a commercial bid I was working on. I made a website today, using Intuit's (Quickbooks) web design software and hosting service. It's pretty cheap to buy a domain name--$5 application and $3 a month for the first year. I think it's $4.95/month after that. Here's the web address, if you haven't guessed what it would be: www.tomberlawn.com

DLAWNS
01-02-2009, 11:02 PM
It looks really good, man keep up the great work!

DuallyVette
01-02-2009, 11:17 PM
So, how long did it take you to produce the web site ?

TomberLawn
01-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Thanks, DLAWNS.

Total time was probably about an hour and a half to get the pictures I wanted, sized and positioned where I wanted them, and other stuff that takes time like that. It went pretty quickly. They had a template that I used and just wrote my own stuff in the boxes.

Kiril
01-02-2009, 11:36 PM
Doesn't look that good on my browser, and the code doesn't validate.

traman
01-03-2009, 08:14 AM
looks great, only thing i would do is substitute some spring time pictures when grass is all greened up.good job

TomberLawn
01-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Doesn't look that good on my browser, and the code doesn't validate.

Which browser are you using? I've got Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer and it looks fine in both.

Kiril
01-03-2009, 09:02 AM
Which browser are you using?

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008121621 Ubuntu/8.04 (hardy) Firefox/3.0.5

Frue
01-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Web site looks great. I would try to fill your loga back the same color as the web page. It looks a little out of place. Love the pages. As mentioned above spring grass. Good job.

K/B
01-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Try replacing the header & logo with this combination header/logo picture that I threw together, if you want:

RonAyersMotorsports
01-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Try replacing the header & logo with this combination header/logo picture that I threw together, if you want:

I agree that looks so much better. Really nice of you!

DuallyVette
01-03-2009, 04:21 PM
OK I'd like to nit pick...I don't care for the background being so brown/dark=negative to me. Since were outdoors guys...maybe .a little light and airy...a positive happy picture...some blue(sky)back ground near the top, and ligher green for the center and darker green near the base.

The little skinny sidewalk isn't attractive. Not that it won't work as a lowercost sidewalk, but its not for show. Also the rest of the photos need some better grass (Spring), and no crooked tree leaning over the lawn.

Still better than mine, since I haven't done mine yet.

Frue
01-03-2009, 04:33 PM

That looks great

J & D Greens
01-03-2009, 04:52 PM
I made a logo a couple days ago to put at the top of a commercial bid I was working on. I made a website today, using Intuit's (Quickbooks) web design software and hosting service. It's pretty cheap to buy a domain name--$5 application and $3 a month for the first year. I think it's $4.95/month after that. Here's the web address, if you haven't guessed what it would be: www.tomberlawn.com
For doing this on your own I'm impressed. My daughter is in graphic design she is running her own business and can't wait to do a site for me. I don't feel the need for one as I am working full time in retail and do this part time right now. What I like most about your sight is the way you worded your intro,( that really draws a person in ). With a few adjustments to the home page like making the logo all one color, maybe something just didn't take right and is an easy fix, once you are able to update to some head turning pictures of your work I think it will be very effective.

TomberLawn
01-03-2009, 07:11 PM
K/B, thanks for that!! I tried to do that yesterday in Paint...not worth trying. Did you do that in Photoshop?

I changed the background colors a little bit. It's hard to get things exactly the way you want them.

Frue
01-03-2009, 07:16 PM
K/B, thanks for that!! I tried to do that yesterday in Paint...not worth trying. Did you do that in Photoshop?

I changed the background colors a little bit. It's hard to get things exactly the way you want them.

Change it back to the way it was but put your new logo from this page in there.

Kennedy Landscaping
01-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Looks good, site is kinda plain but I assume it will progress more as you get the time. Another thing on the logo, try to make the lawn care and landscaping "Curve" a little more so it fits a little neater into the arches

BTW everything still looks pretty good though

billslawn89
01-03-2009, 07:19 PM
i would put all the services performed on the front page then do the link for the pictures. ya...change color also..

Chris B.
01-03-2009, 07:37 PM
It looks alot better since you changed the colors. What do you think of mine, I built it a few weeks ago.

http://bottomslawnandtree.com/

DuallyVette
01-03-2009, 09:30 PM
It looks alot better since you changed the colors. What do you think of mine, I built it a few weeks ago.

The large lettering for your company name is a little fuzzy.

lifetree
01-03-2009, 10:52 PM
... I don't care for the background being so brown/dark=negative to me. Since were outdoors guys...maybe .a little light and airy...a positive happy picture...some blue(sky) ...

Makes sense to me !!

K/B
01-05-2009, 06:51 PM

Photoshop? Nope, I'm a GIMP fanatic. www.gimp.org

TomberLawn
01-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Oh, thanks. I just downloaded that. Going to take a little time to figure it out.

K/B
01-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Oh, thanks. I just downloaded that. Going to take a little time to figure it out.

Yeah, took me a lot of practice to get good with it. It's a very powerful program, much more advanced than Paint. With it, you can do pretty much anything Photoshop can do, but for free. There's a gazillion Gimp tutorials on the web, just google gimp tutorials. That's how I learned.

TomberLawn
01-05-2009, 11:12 PM
thanks, i'll do that. i couldn't even figure out how to draw a line when I opened it a couple hours ago!

lgyardservices
01-10-2009, 09:19 PM
hey i like your website. check out mine www.lgyardservices.com
I also used the Intuit web site builder, and i love it. I have the gold package though so mine is 9.99 a month but the domain is covered and i get up to 100 pages. tell me what you think of mine.

TomberLawn
01-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Nice website, lgyardservices. I'll check back later when you have more of it completed (like "picture of me"). Nice colors.

punt66
01-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Ok to be completely honest it terrible. If i saw those pictures and i was interested in your work i wouldnt give you a second thought. I would suggest taking the pictures down until you have better ones. Not 1 of those pictures shows professional work. I can appreciate your want to have a site but if its worth doing its worth doing right. Go back to it and look at it from an outsiders perspective. Paying someone to build a site is relatively inexpensive and you will get professional results. The site as it stands now id doing more harm then good.

jeffex
01-17-2009, 02:53 PM
The web site looks great. There are some very professional ones I've seen but all you realy need is a basic site to attract a customer who can't remember your phone mumber. I'm sure the high end landscapers need a more polished portfolio but the simple one i use for my pressue washing business does very well for me. $21 for the domain name . I just made a simple one for my lawn business www.AmericansCutLawns.com nothing fancy just hopefuly a domain they can remember and a # to reach me at. I need new pictures but I cobbled something together

TomberLawn
01-17-2009, 06:02 PM
You know, punt66, that's not exactly what I would call constructive criticism. Try to show a little respect and understanding. I'm not trying to get jobs like Earth, Turf, and Wood does. The main point of the website was to have a way for people to contact me and find out more about the services if they see my truck and don't have time to write down my phone number. I don't have that many pictures yet, either, because I'm a young company and haven't done that many projects yet. I also haven't had a digital camera very long, so some of the stuff I have done, I don't have pictures of. To say none of the pictures show professional work is absurd, since I am a professional. The walkway, I'll admit, was not that great. It's just something I redid at my own house. Maybe I should take it off. But the leaf cleanup job looks good, the planter box with dwarf nandinas looks good, and the big yard with stripes looks good (the picture was taken during July or August, hot and dry, so the grass wasn't as green as I would have liked it, but I had the camera with me that day). I showed my site to my marketing professor and she liked it. Sure, when I need a professionally designed site, I'll get one. But I don't need one yet. I'm still in college, learning how to market myself (and business). I've got a couple of business plans to write for classes before I graduate and I'm planning to focus them on my business and what I need to do when I graduate. Then, I probably will get a web designer to make the business a website. For now, it serves my purposes.

Thanks, jeffex. Nice website. Are those stripes your on the services page? Those are awesome.

Kutz Lawns
01-17-2009, 08:47 PM

Didn't see anywhere where you are located!

Looks good though!

Chris B.
01-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Didn't see anywhere where you are located!

Looks good though!

WOW, how do I forget that.

Thanks

Kutz Lawns
01-17-2009, 10:04 PM
WOW, how do I forget that.

Thanks

And the areas you serve too!

punt66
01-18-2009, 05:20 AM
You know, punt66, that's not exactly what I would call constructive criticism. Try to show a little respect and understanding. I'm not trying to get jobs like Earth, Turf, and Wood does. The main point of the website was to have a way for people to contact me and find out more about the services if they see my truck and don't have time to write down my phone number. I don't have that many pictures yet, either, because I'm a young company and haven't done that many projects yet. I also haven't had a digital camera very long, so some of the stuff I have done, I don't have pictures of. To say none of the pictures show professional work is absurd, since I am a professional. The walkway, I'll admit, was not that great. It's just something I redid at my own house. Maybe I should take it off. But the leaf cleanup job looks good, the planter box with dwarf nandinas looks good, and the big yard with stripes looks good (the picture was taken during July or August, hot and dry, so the grass wasn't as green as I would have liked it, but I had the camera with me that day). I showed my site to my marketing professor and she liked it. Sure, when I need a professionally designed site, I'll get one. But I don't need one yet. I'm still in college, learning how to market myself (and business). I've got a couple of business plans to write for classes before I graduate and I'm planning to focus them on my business and what I need to do when I graduate. Then, I probably will get a web designer to make the business a website. For now, it serves my purposes.

Thanks, jeffex. Nice website. Are those stripes your on the services page? Those are awesome.

My post wasnt constructive?? Why because i didnt like it? You wanted criticism. Those pictures you showed are homeowner quality work. Or work from a beginner not a professional. That picture you showed of the back deck of the house represents what? Did you install that retaining wall? The wall is the ugliest thing i have ever seen. If thats yours you didnt overlap the corners. If its not yours its a big mistake to put in on your site. This IS constructive criticism.

punt66
01-18-2009, 05:32 AM
This gentleman just started a thread on here. He did a good job on a simple site. Crisp clean and very good site about general info and pay online option. Check it out and you will see what i am trying to tell you.

Suggestions on NEW website...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone...just developed my own website and got it uploaded. This is a first time for me and it is not quite finished the way I would like it, but I will get to it before spring. I will be replacing some of the pictures with some of our OWN people at work as soon as I get them. Thanks for any feedback - positive and negative.

http://www.lawnsinorder.net

Jason

jeffex
01-18-2009, 06:28 AM
yes those are stripes. hey someone dissed my initial web design and it made me just work on another design. They told me about synthasite.com and it had better free templates. If your in college and working on your business your way ahead of 1/2 thekids your age IMO. I'm in the lawn mowing business ..I'm not a web designer. My site was built for free and costs $21 to keep the domain for a year. I can edit it from any computer and that is a +. The trick with my web site for my pressure washing business isto let your customer know their pictures will be posted later that day so they can show their friends, family ,and co-workers. I get tons of referrals that way. once you get it right leave the main page alone as much as you can because it starts to climb the ladder on google by the hits you get. I want to work o a logo for the lawn business and the p-wash business.
lawnsinorder....very nice site!

TomberLawn
01-18-2009, 09:06 AM
OK, punt66, I took a couple of pictures off. Besides the pictures you didn't like, how was the rest of the site--color, layout, text, etc? Thanks for the feedback, just try not to be so harsh using words like "terrible", "ugliest", and things like that. Suggesting I remove some photos is constructive criticism--completely slamming my work is just disrespectful.

punt66
01-18-2009, 09:11 AM
Ok, didnt know your a sensitive type. The brown backround color needs to go. You need to make the sight bright and outdoorsy. It looks gloomy. Post a couple pics like you operating a piece of equipment instead of a finished job. Your pictures themses are a bit dark. Use a better camera or use a pic software to adjust them. I will look at it again and see if i can give you more.

punt66
01-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Looks better already with those 2 pictures removed.

Suggestions

1. Have a separate page for your "samples of work". In that page put. THIS PAGE IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION and wait untill you have good green, flowering pictures.

2. Work on the colors

3. Your homepage should only show your logo, your mission statement, areas your service, and your tabs for the other sections.

4. If your rig looks professional you can incorporate you and the equipment in a QUALITY pic for the home page. Dont do it if its old stuff. But it has to be good. the home page needs to pop. Your tab pages dont have to be as good but they should be.

5. There are programs out there that have great templets and i would suggest using that.

TomberLawn
01-18-2009, 02:33 PM
I made some changes to my site, but I can't get my link menu to publish correctly. I added the services list to the homepage and put all my pictures together on one page. That page is named "photos" in my web editor program, and the link to it is supposed to say "PHOTO GALLERY" but after I saved and published it, it still said "SERVICES" and tries to link to a page that no longer exists, so the 404 error page displays. I tried closing the web editor and republishing it, even restarted my computer and republished, but that didn't help. Any ideas? If you want to see the page, you'll have to use this link" www.tomberlawn.com/photos.html

TomberLawn
01-18-2009, 02:46 PM
I just did away with the link menu altogether and used text boxes for links. It works.

punt66
01-18-2009, 03:46 PM
I would get a pic that wont stretch for the header. And loose the fake striping photo on the main page. Wait, I am not punt???

The over all look of your page is good. The colors are good. But you have functionality issues. The above stated is correct. Your picture page wont allow someone to click on and enlarge the pics and their too small too see. Things like that. The the over all look is very good.

TomberLawn
01-19-2009, 11:51 AM
I just found a really cool graphic of grass that I tiled for the background. What do you think?

JDUtah
01-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Looks like AstroTurf

punt66
01-19-2009, 05:52 PM
I just found a really cool graphic of grass that I tiled for the background. What do you think?

I like it. But make your Text boxes larger. It looks cramped. Keep working on it. Try different things.

TomberLawn
01-20-2009, 07:13 PM
I made a new logo this afternoon. I think it's a little cooler than the other one, which was just black and white text with a box around it. The problem--I made it in PowerPoint using WordArt and other drawing tools and I can't get it formatted right to look good on the website. When I save the logo as a gif or jpg, it get's blurry and is either too big or too small to fit on the website without resizing it a lot and further distorting it. Here's what the new logo looks like. If anybody knows anyway to make it work, please help. I downloaded GimpShop and tried to mess with it in there, but I don't know what I'm doing with that program yet.

K/B, especially, since you did a good job making my other logo look good, so you have any suggestions?

If it helps, there's a little icon at the bottom of the homepage where you can download the pptx file.

divine190
01-22-2009, 01:09 AM
Hey K/B this looks neat.Great.

TomberLawn
01-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Well, just my first email from my website, but it was bogus. The name was some actor, the phone number was a strip club, and the address was at least 50 miles away. Some jerk doesn't have enough to do, but it might be one of my friends from school.

Kiril
01-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Well, just my first email from my website, but it was bogus. The name was some actor, the phone number was a strip club, and the address was at least 50 miles away. Some jerk doesn't have enough to do, but it might be one of my friends from school.

Oh, you haven't seen nutin yet.