PDA

View Full Version : Need personal opinions on use of wide area mowers.

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
01-03-2009, 12:32 AM
Anybody out there run wide area mowers? Pros and cons, manufacturers that are sound, those that are unreliable. I run a fleet of 72" zero turns over my park acres and won some contracts this year with huge swaths of land. Any and all opinions and personal experiences is gratefully appreciated.

nlminc
01-03-2009, 02:10 AM
I used to have a large contract with a school system. 38 acres...the company before me used a batwing with a 12' cut. We used 2 Dixie Choppers 72" decks and beat his time by half...also only paid 20k for the choppers as opposed to 42k for one batwing.Plus the choppers were easier to sell at the end of the contract.
My 2 cents...

Congrats on the contracts! I would love to have one or two of that size right now!!

packey
01-05-2009, 11:39 PM
get a good tractor and a 15 foot land pride finish mower

RonAyersMotorsports
01-06-2009, 06:39 PM
The bigger mowers are great, however I've gotten alot of really good reviews on our 66" Hustler Super Z. Less scalping and better quality cut than 72", and at 15 mph it'll make up for the lost time of a slower 72.

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
03-17-2009, 09:40 PM
The thing I love about 72" zero turns over batwing wide cut mowers is that I can get them on a regular trailer, on and off quick, and bada bing on to the next park.

RonAyersMotorsports
03-18-2009, 10:08 AM
Not to mention the faster cutting speeds. And the cheaper price!

White Gardens
03-19-2009, 01:15 AM
I used to have a large contract with a school system. 38 acres...the company before me used a batwing with a 12' cut. We used 2 Dixie Choppers 72" decks and beat his time by half...also only paid 20k for the choppers as opposed to 42k for one batwing.Plus the choppers were easier to sell at the end of the contract.
My 2 cents...

Congrats on the contracts! I would love to have one or two of that size right now!!

Good call on the chopper for wider areas.

A Dixie can cut a well-groomed football field in 15 min.