PDA

View Full Version : Pesticide application rig. Whats everybody think?

derek_mp
01-03-2009, 02:49 AM
Okay, so i asked for some advice on pesticide application and everyone told me to buy a skid. i didn't have 4000 dollars to cough up at the moment so i went and got a $200 50 gal spot sprayer with a pump 100 ft of hose and a spray gun with a 80 degree flat spray. works great. has anyone every tried this? check it out at this link:

http://www.fimcoindustries.com/lg40ss.htm

tell me what you think?

RigglePLC
01-03-2009, 08:46 AM
Swell, but how are you going to reach the back yard? Or, do you intend to mount this on a trailer or some pirce of equipment? Also I think the pictures look rather optimistic, I don't think 45 pounds pressure is going to be spraying trees. Remember the longer the hose, the more pressure loss results from friction in the hose. Around 10 percent for each hundred feet. Remember you cannot "wave your wand" with a flat fan spray tip. If you want to move your arm back and forth to get 7 feet coverage, you need a raindrop or solid cone type nozzle. Later you can always buy a bigger tank, and an electric hose reel, they are handy.

azjojo99
01-03-2009, 10:58 AM
It's real hard to get good coverage on a lawn with a "spot sprayer". These are made to spray spots. Maybe changing the tip as above would help. I feel a battery powered back pack is better than a 100' hose for spot spraying.

DLAWNS
01-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Looks good man! Let us know how it works out for you.

Ric
01-03-2009, 11:48 AM
derek

Been there done that only with a 300 ft hose reel. You can mess with the pressure switch and increase the PSI a little. Be sure you have a "by pass" to stir the tank before each job depending on what you are spraying. These tanks generally have a problem mixing so use your wand to stir the tank when first mixing or before spraying some products.

derek_mp
01-03-2009, 02:19 PM
This isn't the exact setup i bought. Just the closest pic i could show everyone. it actually pumps at 80 psi. So i think i should be fine. Seems to work very well for me. Set up almost just like a skid just not as big.

RAlmaroad
01-03-2009, 07:35 PM
This isn't the exact setup i bought. Just the closest pic i could show everyone. it actually pumps at 80 psi. So i think i should be fine. Seems to work very well for me. Set up almost just like a skid just not as big.

Good Evening Derek: If you are not fully committed with a unit just yet, please check out this on craigslist: http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/grd/966894892.html

It has a small Hypro D252 pump. The only drawback is that it only produces 6GPM.

Anyway check it out.
Roy

jspray
01-04-2009, 12:13 PM
We use front mounted boom push or self propelled units from Proedge--web site is proedgesprayer.com.
Application coverage on a lawn that belongs to your customer is critical. Will the sprayer spray the lawn will one coat evenly? If not, an over application will cause you a major problem--possibly even dead turf.
Buy a sprayer that is easy to calibrate--one that calibration info. is furnished by the manufacturer. Check out Proedge and get all the calibration info. you need furnished with each sprayer unit.
Get a sprayer easy to calibrate, with excellent coverage, with low volume and low drift for speed of application. You will make high quality and safe applications and make money.

Good spraying,

Bill J.

Ric
01-04-2009, 12:23 PM
derek

At 80 psi you should be able to easily push 300 ft of hose depending on your tip size and gpm. Your area normally requires low volume applications and this unit should work great for you and be quite enough to not disturb your customers.

RigglePLC
01-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Derek, Since you already bought it. What exactly did you intend to spray? Roundup? Weed killer? Crab killer? Image? Wettable powers? Simazine? Drive?

Do you need to buy a battery? Is there good bypass agitation--or is pump "Demand switch" type? Calibrate with water and let us know how it came out. Spray some cement with water and photograph the pattern showing the eveness or lack of it. How many gallons per minute do you get? There is a good chance the manufacturer exaggerated the output slightly. You can get high pressure or high volume--but not both at once.

RAlmaroad
01-04-2009, 02:16 PM
I'm really confused! I've never seen any 12-Volt pump put out 80 PSIG. I'd like to know who makes that kind of pump. The most I've ever seen is a 1.2GPM at 60 PSIG. If not a 12-volt, still let us know the make and model. Thanks

jspray
01-05-2009, 01:53 PM
In reference to my thread yesterday about sprayers, I am attaching some photos of the PE-B-AL Proedge aluminum electric push we use. Its a great unit for small to med. lawns and will paint also. Web site: proedgesprayer.com 130733

DUSTYCEDAR
01-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Thats cool

rcreech
01-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Shorts and flip flops!!!! :laugh:

What are you spraying?

ted putnam
01-05-2009, 03:16 PM

What are you spraying?

I don't know but it looks like he already "torched" most of it before the day he decided to wear flip flops and shorts. :laugh:

JDUtah
01-05-2009, 04:16 PM

What are you spraying?

I wonder what the little bottles are for in that pic.

SpreadNSpray
01-05-2009, 04:21 PM

Foam marker?

JDUtah
01-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Foam marker?

Makes sense to me. Good eye

KACYDS
01-05-2009, 05:18 PM

Thats for the sun screen, when you spraying in shorts and flip flops........:laugh::laugh::laugh:

JDUtah
01-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Thats for the sun screen, when you spraying in shorts and flip flops........:laugh::laugh::laugh:

That gets a couple :laugh::laugh:

jspray
01-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Sorry about the clothing, he is spraying water testing the foam marker system. It uses Joy or Ivory liquid--just a couple of shots in each 1 qt. tank.
It is a compact system made by Richway just right for this sprayer. You can see the wheel tracks most of the time and the marker may not be necessary.

The sprayer version uses a 1.8 gpm Shurflo pump. We spray at 20 psi with the TTI11002VP tips at 2.5 mph or normal walking speed. This allows 16 gpa or 1/2 acre per 8 gal. tank. It's low volume--low drift with air induction tips which makes a very efficient operation.

The painter version uses a 3 gpm Shurflo pump with the 10"x10" boom set-up of 7 XR8003VS tips. At 30 psi and 2.5 mph it sprays 1.5 gal/1,000 sq. ft., a high flow rate necessary for painting lawns. It can also be used as a sprayer by just switching tips and using 3 blocking caps. Then you are back to the low volume application.

Bill J.

Ric
01-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Sorry about the clothing, he is spraying water testing the foam marker system. It uses Joy or Ivory liquid--just a couple of shots in each 1 qt. tank.
It is a compact system made by Richway just right for this sprayer. You can see the wheel tracks most of the time and the marker may not be necessary.

The sprayer version uses a 1.8 gpm Shurflo pump. We spray at 20 psi with the TTI11002VP tips at 2.5 mph or normal walking speed. This allows 16 gpa or 1/2 acre per 8 gal. tank. It's low volume--low drift with air induction tips which makes a very efficient operation.

The painter version uses a 3 gpm Shurflo pump with the 10"x10" boom set-up of 7 XR8003VS tips. At 30 psi and 2.5 mph it sprays 1.5 gal/1,000 sq. ft., a high flow rate necessary for painting lawns. It can also be used as a sprayer by just switching tips and using 3 blocking caps. Then you are back to the low volume application.

Bill J.

Bill

What turf paint are you using and do you know your approx material cost per thousand??

rcreech
01-06-2009, 11:12 AM
That is a sweet looking rig! I was just messing with you on the clothes! :laugh:

Is that a Richway 4401 foamer?

I have the 4401 on my boom sprayer and it is a sweet setup!

Why does the unit have such small booms? It looks like you could go bigger and cover some serious ground.

What is the cost of the unit?

ted putnam
01-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Yea, me too. I wear flipflops all the time. I've found that daily doses of MSMA(low volume of course) help keep Athletes foot under control:laugh: Seriously, it looks like a sweet setup and it definitely has some advantages, especially in certain situations. My concerns would be size and weight and how they affect loading and use on hills.

jspray
01-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Ric, We use Green Lawnger, I can usually buy it for $35/gal. We use a gal. per 5,000 sq. ft. It works well--looks better next day after painting.

rcreech, It is Richway 4401 unit. We could add 2 tips to boom easily for 120" and use 3 gpm pump--would work well--then you would need foam marker. Price of sprayer $1,995 painter/sprayer $2,195. Foam installed is $395.

ted, We estimated shipping weight in box/crate to be 100 lbs.--it's light but well built--pushes easy. On hills it's very stable but on steep hill need to follow the contour to make pushing easier.

Thank all of you for the comments. This is my brain child and I may be slightly opinionated towards it.

Bill J.