PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Lesco Fert Spreaders?

jbmillion
01-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Where'd ya get em and how much? anywhere online?
Im looking for the Lesco 80lb spreader

anthonyslandscaping
01-03-2009, 11:12 AM
John Deere Landscape bought Lesco last year. You can go to any JDL dealer and get one.

80lbs. Speader new $389.00

ro1207
01-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Actually the JDL does not sell the original "Lesco" spreader any more. They have a duplicate one produced in China for less. You can still find the original one at any Cub Cadet Commercial dealer. Cub Cadet had been making this spreader for Lesco forever and JDL cut them out when they purchased Lesco. The Cub Cadet model is a much better built model in my opinion and priced competitively.

DLAWNS
01-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Actually the JDL does not sell the original "Lesco" spreader any more. They have a duplicate one produced in China for less. You can still find the original one at any Cub Cadet Commercial dealer. Cub Cadet had been making this spreader for Lesco forever and JDL cut them out when they purchased Lesco. The Cub Cadet model is a much better built model in my opinion and priced competitively.

That's very interesting. I was not aware of this.

ro1207
01-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Most people are not aware of this

Fert33
01-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Yeah I would agree. If you can get your hands on the older better built spreaders, that is the way to go. If you look at the new JDL version closely, you can see the difference. It just looks cheap. The price is still the same though in my area. $389.00 It's funny how the same product built with cheaper parts can cost the consumer the same. :dizzy:

lawntennis
01-03-2009, 03:56 PM
There were two on ebay this morning.

greenbaylawns
01-03-2009, 04:12 PM
$349 here for a Cub Cadet 20 more for a cover

Jason Rose
01-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Wow... I thought I had heard wrong about them outsourcing the spreaders to china. I saw some as I was walking by them at my "lesco" (I still call it that) and thought they were the same spreaders.

Talked to my guy there and he said that JDL is selling a "Lesco" line of mowers now too. But it's NOT cub cadet pro. He said the new machines are overpriced junk and they had them painted the old Lesco green and stuck Lesco stickers on them. He said he told them it would NEVER fly, but they did it anyway. No one that likes lesco mowers is going to contine to buy them if they are crap just because they have a Lesco decal. They will just move on to Cub.

The Ranger
01-04-2009, 09:09 AM
much better spreader is the Anderson/Scotts spreader

RigglePLC
01-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Anderson/Scotts is better. Better pattern adjustment. And the new (in the last 5 years) Lesco spreader is bigger with a longer handle, too big and too heavy--for some people.

However, I looked at the China-built spreader. The quality looks to be fine. Frame is more shiny and the hopper is a little more shiny with a slightly less flexible green plastic. If you have to lift it onto your truck, try to get a spread under 35 pounds. Bolt a handle on the left side for easiest lifting.

Fert33
01-04-2009, 10:48 AM
I don't know maybe it is just me. I thought that it was much rougher sounding than the old lesco spreader. Also the axle is not as thick. For those of you who assembled your own be sure that you are greasing the the axle. The old spreaders came in a box with all of that stuff assembled and greased. all you had to do was slap the handle on and calibrate. Now it is all in pieces. Be sure that the JDL guys greased it if anyone bought it fully assembled. That could be an issue.

RigglePLC
01-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Ya, the axle looked cheaper. And grease is a good thing. Didn't know you had to assemble it yourself.

RigglePLC
01-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Here is Lesco data, shows a few improvements--but I could not find the weight.
http://www.lesco.com/ProdCatalog/ProdCatalogNav.aspx?ProdGroupID=49&SKUGroupID=102

Hissing Cobra
01-04-2009, 10:48 PM
The new Lesco (sold at John Deere Landscapes locations) 80 lb. spreader is priced at $369.00 and now comes with the cover at no extra charge. Yes, it is now manufactured in China but the quality is the same. I know this because I build them all the time. I also have an old one and a new one side by side at my location and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. All of the parts from the old models will fit the new models because they're all manufactured to the same sizes and this includes axles and bearings. The new model now has a higher quality of stainless steel and it's fully polished, with less sharp edges. Yes, the axles and wheels now have to be installed and greased, but that only adds 5 minutes to the build time for the JDL employee. This was done as a cost cutting measure and now allows more of them to be shipped on a pallet, as the boxes are smaller.

Also, you should NOT be purchasing these spreaders in un-built form! Your JDL reps should be building these in the store and selling them in fully built form. They should have at least one in built form and on display, ready to be sold at a moment's notice. In fact, it may be overkill but at my store, I have one built with the Synergy Sprayer, one built with the remote side shield/3rd hole closer kit, one built with the manual side shield, and 6 built with no options whatsoever. I also have 2 to 5 of the new, smaller 50 lb. spreaders built and ready to go on a regular basis.

jbmillion, if you're still looking for one, stop on by our Warwick store and talk to Paul. He's sure to have one or more of them in stock.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Good to know

americanlawn
01-05-2009, 05:49 PM
I recommend Spyker, but that's just my opinion.

Marcos
01-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Yes, it is now manufactured in China but the quality is the same.

C'mon!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
What do you think we ARE, Cobra, blind?

We know you're a Deere/Lesco employee, but it's not necessary for you to be such a 'homer' all the time!

Be HONEST, instead!:)

It's O.K. to admit when a product's gone downhill...just like when Lesco bode farewell to p.o.s. ZTR, the "Viper" :cry: some years ago, and consequentially made some type of monetary or trade-in restitution with the lion's share of its purchasers, (if they b!tched loud enough, that is :laugh:).

Hissing Cobra
01-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Marcos, I knew you'd pop into this thread and ruin yet another Lesco/John Deere Landscapes thread. Why can't you just go off into the sunset and take your crappy, "know it all" attitude with you?

To the rest of the members here, am I the only one who's sick of this guy and his negative rant toward everything? I'm a member of many website forums and this tool would be banned on the majority of them. Why not here? He adds nothing constructive to anything he posts and LOVES to stir the pot whenever he can. We should purchase a trophy and inscribe his name onto it, we'll call it "Marcos, Homer of the year".

Marcos
01-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Marcos, I knew you'd pop into this thread and ruin yet another Lesco/John Deere Landscapes thread.

This absolutely says it all! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Cobra, I'm sure there's a more apropos position for you somewhere in a Beijing high-rise, in a little grey 4' x 4' cubicle, working to 'cleanse' the commie Chinese internet. :waving:

Grassmechanic
01-06-2009, 12:48 PM
The new model now has a higher quality of stainless steel and it's fully polished, with less sharp edges.

My new SS one is rusting! My old one doesn't have a bit of rust. I can't see for the life of me how the new SS is a better quality than the old.

Hissing Cobra
01-06-2009, 07:33 PM
The spreaders are now made with Grade #1 Stainless Steel vs. Grade #3 Stainless Steel. If it's less than a year old, speak to your local dealer reps about the rusting issue.

jbmillion
01-07-2009, 01:09 AM
thanks guys

Grassmechanic
01-07-2009, 10:40 AM
The spreaders are now made with Grade #1 Stainless Steel vs. Grade #3 Stainless Steel. If it's less than a year old, speak to your local dealer reps about the rusting issue.

They laughed when I told them. Regardless, the thing should rust.

There is no such thing as Grade #1 or #3 SS. Stainless is graded by numbers such as 430, 409, 304, etc.

The simple fact is that the SS on the older ones was a better grade than the new ones. They didn't rust.

TMlawncare
01-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Something to ponder on. When was the last time you heard the words "quality" and "made in China" used together.

KACYDS
01-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Something to ponder on. When was the last time you heard the words "quality" and "made in China" used together.

I don't think I every heard those words together.........:usflag::usflag:

TMlawncare
01-07-2009, 11:50 AM
EXactly, however as the years pass probably everything we will use will be China made crap but the price will continue to climb. Anyone since a trend? Get a little less, pay a bit more.

Grassmechanic
01-07-2009, 11:53 AM
The old lescos were made in USA. It's too bad. I won't buy another from Lesco. I'd buy a old one of ebay first. I'd gladly pay for one that is advertised to be stainless - and NOT rust!

RigglePLC
01-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Rittenhouse has Lesco spreaders,
http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=1328

Marcos
01-08-2009, 02:04 PM
The old lescos were made in USA. It's too bad. I won't buy another from Lesco. I'd buy a old one of ebay first. I'd gladly pay for one that is advertised to be stainless - and NOT rust!

We spent a few hours during rain days this summer researching ways to find quality Lesco spreader parts & attachments that were made in the USA, before the recent switch over to chinky-chinky chinaman quality.

They couldn't be found in Deere/Lesco stores anymore, that's for sure!

We ended up getting most of these parts by buying complete Lesco spreaders (working or not) at various sherriff's auctions around Cincinnati and s.w. Ohio.
We bought 4 of them, and I believe $75 was about the most we paid for any one of them. We used two of them this past fall "as-is".
The other two, we've completely parted out, saving us a whole bunch of money this winter in parts.

Marcos
01-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Rittenhouse has Lesco spreaders,
http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=1328

So?
All Rittenhouse is... is another middleman, and yet another price mark-up between the factory in China and the end consumer.
The way things are going...I wouldn't be surprised to see Lesco spreaders in a Dollar General sometime down the road. :cry::cry::cry:

Deep down.....It really kills me to see the Lesco name be drug through the mud like this!
There used to be SOOOOOO many good people who worked for Lesco; most of them were already long-gone, even before the Deere buyout!
"Lesco" was once such a centerpiece of the Green Industry, hell, only 10-15-20 years ago.
But they collectively lost their focus on "people", and instead focused on "profit", taking their eye off the ball of what really matters in things like customer relations, product management & development, etc.
In essence...they had it coming, I suppose.

fl-landscapes
01-08-2009, 07:57 PM
I have a lesco push spreader. I converted it to an ornamental fertilizer spreader by adding the Vortex unit to it. We have a commercial account that calls for 3 tons fert. 4x year trees and shrubs. The Vortex has saved so much time and cut down on waste. Bought it from Lesco they did the conversion and install. But I now have a Spyker gas spreader for the turf. I think its a better built unit then the lesco gas unit.

vortexspreader
01-10-2009, 10:04 PM
I have a lesco push spreader. I converted it to an ornamental fertilizer spreader by adding the Vortex unit to it. We have a commercial account that calls for 3 tons fert. 4x year trees and shrubs. The Vortex has saved so much time and cut down on waste. Bought it from Lesco they did the conversion and install. But I now have a Spyker gas spreader for the turf. I think its a better built unit then the lesco gas unit.
We appreciate your purchase of a Vortex Spreader. The Vortex Spreaders can be seen on LawnSite TV (link at top of page).

PSUTURFGEEK
01-11-2009, 11:15 PM
FL and FL I see an advertising connection going on here...

SpreadNSpray
01-25-2009, 10:36 PM
The "original Lesco spreader" was made by Cub Cadet. Cub Cadet makes them under their own label now. It looks just like the "legend" with a yellow hopper.

KACYDS
01-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Actually, the original Lesco spreader (and other Lesco Equipment) were made by Lesco in a old airplane hanger in Seibring, FL. In the late ninties, Lesco Partnered with MTD to form CTP (Commercial Turf Products). That was a big mistake. Before the partnership, all equipment was tested, before shipped to the stores. When CTP started to make equipment, there was a big quality problem. Mowers were being shipped with missing parts, loose bolts, blades on backwards, etc, etc, etc.

Cub Cadet is made by CTP, so thats why you are seeing the same Lesco equipment, just in yellow.

SpreadNSpray
01-25-2009, 10:56 PM
Actually, the original Lesco spreader (and other Lesco Equipment) were made by Lesco in a old airplane hanger in Seibring, FL. In the late ninties, Lesco Partnered with MTD to form CTP (Commercial Turf Products). That was a big mistake. Before the partnership, all equipment was tested, before shipped to the stores. When CTP started to make equipment, there was a big quality problem. Mowers were being shipped with missing parts, loose bolts, blades on backwards, etc, etc, etc.

Cub Cadet is made by CTP, so thats why you are seeing the same Lesco equipment, just in yellow.

Pre JDL, not B.C.:laugh:
You must be as old as me.:cry:

Marcos
01-26-2009, 12:18 PM
Actually, the original Lesco spreader (and other Lesco Equipment) were made by Lesco in a old airplane hanger in Seibring, FL.

It's not been all that long ago, has it, since Lesco stopped making equipment in Sebring?
No more than 10 years ago, I'm guessing...

Truly unbelievable...how in well less than 10 years from the Sebring equipment move to Cleveland, a powerhouse like Lesco was knocked to its knees by its own stupid internal decisions, and forcefully taken over by John Deere at (a relatively pathetic) $14.50 / share !! (Doh!!) :hammerhead:

JJKinIL
06-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Actually, the original Lesco spreader (and other Lesco Equipment) were made by Lesco in a...

So... Cub Cadet is also made crappily by CTP? Or is Cub still quality? I'm so confused...:confused:

Thanks to everyone on here.

SCB
06-09-2009, 11:55 AM
They laughed when I told them. Regardless, the thing should rust.

There is no such thing as Grade #1 or #3 SS. Stainless is graded by numbers such as 430, 409, 304, etc.

The simple fact is that the SS on the older ones was a better grade than the new ones. They didn't rust.

I would be very surprised if you saw frame rusted, they were all 304 SS, and the welding areas were well polished and passivated. Contamination can cause some surface rust, if that's the case, they should be wiped off easily.

SCB
06-09-2009, 11:59 AM
I would be very surprised if you saw frame rusted, they were all 304 SS, and the welding areas were well polished and passivated. Contamination can cause some surface rust, if that's the case, they should be wiped off easily.

BTW, have you guys seen the difference of agitator between CTP and the new one? You will see there is some improvement. I don't see the old CTP spreader look significantly better quality than the new one.

bx24
06-09-2009, 03:38 PM

304 can rust if junk material. 304 is also used since it is easy to make compared to other 300 series.

It could have not been Annealed correctly.It could be from a build up of chlorides from the water or drag in from somewhere else. Passivation solution is / was contaminated.

Marcos
06-10-2009, 02:37 PM
BTW, have you guys seen the difference of agitator between CTP and the new one? You will see there is some improvement. I don't see the old CTP spreader look significantly better quality than the new one.

We have 1 chinese Deere / Lesco spreader purchased in '08, and probably a half dozen CTP SS spreaders purchased new, or at auctions. Plus one Cyclone for spreading Penn Mulch, etc.

Hands down, the CTP spreaders give us far less trouble in the field as compared to that chinese-made p.o.s. I'll probably be dumping that piece of junk off on Craig's list later this summer, or maybe try to get rid of it during a neighbor-organized garage sale.