PDA

View Full Version : trailer size

lukemelo216
01-03-2009, 06:17 PM
I am deciding on my trailer right now and just need some opinions. You guys who have or have owned 14' trailers can you fit 2z's on your trailer plus a wb and a 21". If you did what size mowers do (or did) you have too.

nobagger
01-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Here's my experience.....We can only fit 1-52" ZTR with bagger, 1-36" w/b 2-21" mowers and a few gas cans on the floor of our 8.5x16 foot enclosed trailer. If you can afford to buy any size, buy at least a 18-20ft trailer. Trailers fill up quickly especially an enclosed one. BTW mines only 3 seasons old and I'm already looking to buy a larger one. Just know your limitations like, what are you going to be towing it with, how easy is it going to be to park it at properties, if your mainly in subdivisons then a larger trailer wont be so hard to park but if your in a metro area then good luck finding room some times.

Kennedy Landscaping
01-03-2009, 07:09 PM
I want a new trailer sometime but its not looking like it will happen any time soon. But I have heard the way to figure it out on the size is park all your equipment just like it would be on the trailer and measure it out, then go the next size up from that.

lifetree
01-03-2009, 07:20 PM
... I have heard the way to figure it out on the size is park all your equipment just like it would be on the trailer and measure it out, then go the next size up from that.

Sounds like a plan !!

mowerbrad
01-03-2009, 07:32 PM
On my 14' I can fit my 52" ztr (with bagging system) and a 21" with only about 2 feet to spare. I will be upgrading this year to a 16 or 18 foot enclosed trailer. With what you want to put on the trailer I would suggest at least any 18 foot but probably bigger like a 20'.

Glenn Lawn Care
01-03-2009, 07:51 PM
i own a 14 foot trailer and i can fit 3 52" wb's on it. its a tight fit and it takes alittle bit of time to get them on there so they fit just right. i'd go bigger if you can afford it.

born2farm
01-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Depending on you area I would buy a 16ft trailer. I bought a 12ft trailer and kicking myself for it. 18 or 20 would be to big to manuver around here in town.

like lawn freak said....park everything like you want it, measure it then get the size bigger

Right Touch
01-03-2009, 09:22 PM
my first trailer was a 6x12 enclosed single axle. i fit a 52" lazer and a 36" wb with all my other equip and it was like you had to take yoga to climb in and out of the thing. I thought I was pretty special cuz guys would always ask me how I got it so organized. Then I upgraded to an 8 1/2' x 20'. i originally was going to go with a 16' due to cost, but now am so happy i went with the 20'. its just got so much space for everything with room to walk around in. Now I wonder why I spent 2 years maneuvering around in such a small trailer. True, the longer trailer will pose some parking problems but i think the space inside outweighs the parking issue.

genesis215
01-03-2009, 09:24 PM
I have a 5x13, and it only holds a 48" WB, 32" WB, and a 21". If I had the 6' width then I could fit two WB's and 3 21's. The bare minimum size that could hold 2 Z's (assuming 6 feet long each), a 36" or 48" WB, and a 21" would be a 6x18. 7x20 is much more preferable, as you could fit a 32" and 48" side by side. Or even better, an 8' wide trailer.

lawnpro724
01-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Buy the largest trailer you can afford 16' or larger. Remember unless your just the mow and go type your trailer is going to be hauling more than just mowers. We use ours for just about everything from shrub trimmings, trees, brick and the list goes on. A 16' trailer is a good all around size for most things but if your like us your going to need more than just one.

lukemelo216
01-03-2009, 10:05 PM
thanks for the help guys...............im going to go with either a 16 or 18 footer now, depending on the truck i get. I am talking to one of my buddies about a buying a 1 ton off him so i will just wait and see.

topsites
01-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Did you know a lot of time is wasted loading and unloading?
In this day and age, charging the customer for this time may not be the best idea, no offense but
especially when there are guys who have the work done before you've got your equipment off.

Also there's more of a chance for equipment breakage during this process.
Having more equipment to deal with and getting in the way merely compounds this problem.

You guys who have or have owned 14' trailers can you fit 2z's on your trailer plus a wb and a 21". If you did what size mowers do (or did) you have too.

No way, not even on a 16 footer.
Well maybe but super duper tight and what a pita.

Don't think bigger, instead think of a better way of doing things.

derek_mp
01-04-2009, 03:42 AM
what i would do is get a 16' and plan your lawns out by the equipment you will be mowing that day. that way you dont have so much extra equipment on the trailer. less time loadin and unloaded. less gas to pull. less liability with stolen equipment or damaged equipment in a wreck blow out or whatever life might bring you that day.

sweetz
01-04-2009, 04:39 AM
My thoughts on this - my truck would pull just about anything up to 18-20 feet, but with 90% of my accounts I would have to park a 1/2 mile away to be able to park. So it's a PITA, but I have to deal with my 6 1/2'x10' trailer. I might be able to get away with a 12' or possibly a 14' (probably not). I don't know your area, but I'm talking about postage stamp size lots.

anthonyslandscaping
01-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Like said before, enclosed trailers fill up fast. We have a 20' with a 5' V-nose and that thing fills up fast. Advantage is we have enough room to carry landscape supply's (shrubs, flowers, etc.) plus the mowers 60" and 42" rid-on's and tools.

Downside is when we have to park on some of the city streets (small community) we can't find spots to park a 45' long rig without blocking someones driveway.

Jason Rose
01-04-2009, 10:59 AM
Topsites hit on something... Wasting time loading and unloading. If you have 2 Z mowers and a Walkbehind, do you have to move 2 mowers to get to the one you need all the time? Or even have to move the WB off the end of the trailer everytime?

Consider getting a side gate, up front, passenger side, on your 18 to 20 foot trailer. Use the side gate for the 36" walk, and if you can, even the 21". Make sure that the gate is a good 50 to 52" wide, so if you have or get a 48" walk it will fit!

Green Pastures
01-04-2009, 11:03 AM
I went through a few trailers before I settled on 8 x 20 enclosed as the standard maintenance crews.

I have NEVER thought to myself "gee I wish my trailer was just a wee bit smaller", but there have been times even with an 8' x 20' I have wished it was a wee bit bigger.

Go big.

1wezil
01-04-2009, 11:14 AM
I have a 16' now and on there I haul 2 61" z turn's and a 21" walk-behind .but it is time to expand to a 24' or bigger . what ever it will take to haul 3 z turn and 1 new walk-behind and a golf cart to save time on large properties.

Andyinchville
01-04-2009, 11:39 PM
HI,

I started with a 16' open trailer then ended up with a 18' trailer....I like the 18' better.

Andrew