PDA

View Full Version : Solo LCO's with websites

Big C
01-04-2009, 02:05 PM
I am thinking about building a website for my business....from what I have seen it seems like a really cheap investment with a potentially big upside. Is a website for a solo guy overkill?....how much did it increase for business?....all opinions/advice appereciated......thx

Woody82986
01-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Quite a bit of my business comes from the internet through my website. Well more than half. It's one of the best decisions I have made.

birdturd9726
01-04-2009, 02:27 PM
if you live in a densely populate area, that is computer literate, then it will help a lot. I only advertise in the spring trough fliers and such...all year long my website brings in my work, and it brings 2-3 calls a day.

kmclawn
01-04-2009, 02:27 PM
I think you need one as a business. It will also give your customers a way of reaching you on their own time. You can use it for things like newsletters, savings coupons and just keeping your customers informed. I think that customers both current and future, use the net for information before deciding what company they will chose to hire.

Tyler7692
01-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Get a website and put its address on everything, your invoices you send out, business cards, postcards, magnets, commercial bids, EVERYTHING.

I believe that pretty much no one gets online to look for landscaping services. So who cares about search engines?

The point is just to have a website and just being able to have www.ClarkUnlimited.com will make you look much more professional.

Its only like $5 a month. Seriously easy and cheap investment. Think big man, I'm sure you'd like to run a large organization one day rather than cutting grass 'til your 75 by yourself. The single best business advice I ever received was "You won't get rich on your own labor."

ryry278
01-04-2009, 02:31 PM
I got one. All together for 3 years paid up and a host was $250 i think. I would suggest finding someone to atleadt guide you through doing flash and stuff like that but its a great idea for you especially if you the businesses around you don't have one it will give you an advantage. I also listed myself with google and yahoo so you get your website preferred

birdturd9726
01-04-2009, 03:06 PM
I believe that pretty much no one gets online to look for landscaping services. So who cares about search engines?

i think you have gone crazy. So many people going online looking for landscaping. Typing in their city and landscaping. here are the stats for my website in the past 7 days:

41 visitors
156 actions
1 minute 25 seconds average time spent

here are some of the google searches to get to my website they used:

landscaping suffolk county new york
gutter cleaners 11788
suffolk county landscaping
town of brookhaven & residential snow removal
snow removal riverhead
photos for maintenance services
home maintenance services
nassau county light demolition
snow shoveling west islip ny
snow cleaning in suffolk county
clean parking lot maintenance long island
lawn cuttings and cut backs, suffolk county
gutters cleaned in suffolk county
"Gutter Cleaning" 11743
Tree removal, Suffolk County, New York
bbmaintenanceservices.com
suffolk county parking lot sweeping
price sod installed ny hampton
maintenance companies in ronkonkoma, ny

today i have received 3 hits but all 3 were from this forum so 3 of you out of the 5 above me clicked my link.

A website is essential. If you don't want to be bothered getting optimized onto google, yahoo, yellow pages and such... then a website is probably a waste of time. Yeah it will give you a great image but you looking for a means of advertising. I would recommend creating a merchant circle account along with a website, you get automatically listed on search engines. if you post you website address around everywhere google will pick it up... just keep linking to your website. you can make a free website at webs.com that's where i made mine. i think i payed 100 for the year for domain and premium hosting.

jeffex
01-04-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm solo with some help from my wife in my pressure washing business. I used tripod.com to build it myself for free and godaddy.com as a host for $21 for a year. i just built a simple web site for mowing for the spring as I believe I may have to step up the lawn mowing side in the tight economy. www.AmericansCutLawns.com not fancy but easy to remember from a sign on a lawn.

Florida Gardener
01-04-2009, 04:13 PM
guys, i have a friend who wants to design a website for me which i will have him do very soon. What do you think is the most important things to include on a website? dont respond with stupid comments please.....

mowerbrad
01-04-2009, 04:15 PM
I will be getting a website up this winter or spring. My dixie chopper dealer will be making it for me. I was a little nervious at first about getting a website, but he was able to talk me into it so I will have that up well before I start. It seems like a good way to pull in business without really doing anything.

Tyler7692
01-04-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm solo with some help from my wife in my pressure washing business. I used tripod.com to build it myself for free and godaddy.com as a host for $21 for a year. i just built a simple web site for mowing for the spring as I believe I may have to step up the lawn mowing side in the tight economy. www.AmericansCutLawns.com not fancy but easy to remember from a sign on a lawn.

Jeffex, no offense, but I would be mortified if a customer viewed that website. Completely unprofessional.

For starters, drop the ALL CAPS everwhere on the site and PLEASE do spelling & grammar check (Its pretty bad).

jeffex
01-04-2009, 06:40 PM
none taken... in fact I agree..I have all winter to edit. Just a basic fill in. I appreciate you comments. I downloaded an editor program and we'll see if I get it done. My basic point is something is better than nothing. People tell me all the time they saw my website on my truck and called. It is easier to remember a website than a phone mumber. My website for my pressure washing business is edited on the same service and for my $21 a year to keep the domain name I get a bunch of calls from it. In fact tht is my total budget for advertising. I wouldn't over think the design too much unless your goal is to show high end landscaping etc. Pictures tell the story and I need new ones for my site . I don't want to steal someone else's so tht will have to wait for the spring.

Big C
01-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks....and a bump

Kiril
01-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Jeffex, no offense, but I would be mortified if a customer viewed that website. Completely unprofessional.

For starters, drop the ALL CAPS everwhere on the site and PLEASE do spelling & grammar check (Its pretty bad).

I agree .... ouch. Complete rebuild is in order.

Kennedy Landscaping
01-04-2009, 11:16 PM
I setup one just for $hits and giggles cuz i was bored. Its free, the only disadvantage is the URL. www.kennedylandscaping.synthasite.com

Kiril
01-05-2009, 12:00 AM
I setup one just for $hits and giggles cuz i was bored. Its free, the only disadvantage is the URL. www.kennedylandscaping.synthasite.com

HFS .............. RESIZE THE IMAGES!

Get rid of the date stamps, and lose the main page pic. Potential clients don't care about your equipment.

Photo layout needs some serious work. I hope you got permission to use the aeration pic.

jeffex
01-05-2009, 07:24 AM
thats a nice editor for free . Much slicker basic templates. Can you edit from other computers. that is the advantage of tripod , I can add content or edit anywhere. Not very slick but effective.

jeffex
01-05-2009, 03:58 PM
well I can answer my own question YES you can edit from a remote computer on this editor as it is browser based....Great

jeffex
01-05-2009, 08:38 PM
now all I have to do is remember my account # to change the domain to the new site http://ide.synthasite.com/sites/D72b/D2f0/D9ba/D76a/U8a49866a1e87a52f011ea67ab90f2b27/8a49866a1e87a52f011ea67e80342b82/ still working on content but I like this format better . I need to figure out how to enter links on this editor