PDA

View Full Version : 2001 gmc 2500

mikeylikesit5805
01-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Hey Guys

There is a 2001 GMC 2500 on craigslist, that is stuck in second gear. The mileage is unknown (not sure what thats about) and he is asking 3000. Its at a dealership what do you think?

WE ARE OFFERING FOR SALE A 2001 GMC SIERRA 2500 EXT CAB 4X4! VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH A 6.0 LITER V8 - ****VEHICLE IS STUCK IN 2ND. GEAR!!!***** MECHANIC SPECIAL...OUR LOSS IS YOUR GAIN!!! (1) OWNER VEHICLE WAS USED AS A WORK TRUCK DINGS, DENTS, SCRATCHES, SCUFFS TO BE EXPECTED! - TRUE MILEAGE IS UNKNOWN. $3,000.00

What you you guys think?

TXNSLighting
01-04-2009, 10:15 PM
lotsa red flags around that one...

mikeylikesit5805
01-04-2009, 10:26 PM
I know, I really don't like how they say Mileage is unknown, that worry's me.

nosparkplugs
01-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Expect a $$$ tranny rebuild on top of the $3,000, some folks are sort on cash right now, and just don't have the money to do repairs even a simple transmission rebuild. One good note its at a dealership so it might only need a transmission rebuild as stated. I would attempt to make contact if possible. If you don't purchase it ASAP Some will snag that truck quickly. I would say that your going to spend $3,000 for the truck, minimal $2500 for a stock OEM transmission $5,500 total investment guess IMO

mikeylikesit5805
01-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Yea, I know I sent the guy an email I will call him tommorow. I am going to try and get the mileage and VIN and go from there. Thanks for all the help guys, keep the opinions coming !

DLAWNS
01-04-2009, 11:17 PM
I would have to say keep walking. That sounds sketchy!

Kennedy Landscaping
01-04-2009, 11:19 PM
Yeah I see alot of red flags with that deal.

mikeylikesit5805
01-05-2009, 08:10 AM
thanks guys, That what I was thinking but I figured I would get some other opinions. Ill Keep looking

Petr51488
01-05-2009, 06:44 PM
I don't get it. Why would you look at buying a truck with all these red flags when your trying to run a business. Without a reliable truck, the business is nothing. Mileage unknown, work truck, stuck in 2nd gear, dents etc etc.. Even if its 3k, its not worth it. You can get a brand new truck cheap these days. Spend a few extra and buy something much newer.

nosparkplugs
01-05-2009, 07:01 PM
I don't get it. Why would you look at buying a truck with all these red flags when your trying to run a business. Without a reliable truck, the business is nothing. Mileage unknown, work truck, stuck in 2nd gear, dents etc etc.. Even if its 3k, its not worth it. You can get a brand new truck cheap these days. Spend a few extra and buy something much newer.

Not everyone buys new trucks or equipment, and loans are harder to come buy for some right now. Each of us to our own poison, and we have only "kicked to can into the spring" with the big three financial troubles their not out of the woods yet.

I personally have always invest in new equipment before trucks or vehicles. That has served me well over the years. I spend the hardest time on the job or ridding the ZTR's or tractor, how nice do we really need to be "rollin" from job to job.

jefftb
01-05-2009, 07:11 PM
I would take a pass. They can't tell you the actual mileage? Why? Is the odometer busted too?

You might be in for more than just a rebuild on the tranny. I'd ask for a third party review by the mechanic of your choice for at least a day if you are really interested in this vehicle. You might be picking up a good truck that needs some TLC and then it might just be a proverbial bottomless pit that you can never off-load.

I'm always afraid of these choices-if you are buying this as a Daily Driver I would really be concerned. You cannot produce revenue in the Lawn/Landscape business generally from the comfort of your couch while your truck is being repaired.

As an afterthought, if you get the truck for $3k, and it needs $3k in repairs could you find another truck in better shape for $6K?