PDA

View Full Version : Marking equipment

freshprince94
01-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Does anyone mark their equipment with paint or their company name to prove it's yours if stolen? Im thinking of doing this to my Stihls.

DLAWNS
01-04-2009, 10:22 PM
I haven't done it yet, but I would like to. I'm trying to think of something a little more distinct like asset tags or something similar.

Jason Rose
01-04-2009, 10:24 PM
I've seen some of the BIG companies (not around here) that just take some horrid color spray paint and spray all over brand new equipment as they get it. I can't fathom doing that, but I guess for big operations they are more worried about theft than they are their equipment looking pretty. I've seen some of these old machines for sale on Ebay before...

You could always use a metal stamp set and stamp your name in some inconspicous spot, or use one of those electric engravers. I don't think any of it will really help though since most of the time the authorities make NO effort at all to actually help retrive stolen equipment. Bigger fish to fry I guess.

rflawnman
01-16-2009, 08:07 PM
all my stuff is marked by engraving or welds, I use the engraver on small stuff and mark it in several visible and non visible places, on large equipment i use my welder to write the markings, all my stuff is marked from my trailer to my rakes........

nosparkplugs
01-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Handhelds are left for the crack heads& amateurs. Around here the pro's are steeling the whole rigs now. Their driving them to Chop shops, and disassembling the equipment to be sold in parts.

Crime is only getting worse the unemployment rate is 12.5% in some area's and growing. That equals more desperate people who are turning to crime. Your only going to be able to stop the honest criminal buy painting your equipment.

djagusch
01-17-2009, 10:34 AM
At one place I worked at a mechanic painted all his wrenches pink to identify they were his. He rarely lost a wrench. I engrave the trimmer shaft at the motor end, blowers are done on the engine case.

rlpsystems
01-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Best thing to do is paint it your company color, put duct tape on it and write on it with a sharpie. No one wants to steal old clapped out equiptment.....