PDA

View Full Version : Hose reel power supply

VARMIT COMMISSION
01-04-2009, 10:13 PM
I have been using a deep cycle battery to supply power to my electric hose reel on my trailer. How do you guy's use the truck power supply to use with hose reel? Are you tapping the trailer wire for power, or you running a wire all the way to the battery?

mngrassguy
01-04-2009, 11:13 PM
I fried my trailer power supply wire running it through my 9 pin connector. I got a 6 gage wire with a fusable link that goes right to my truck battery from Minnesota Wanner. I think it ran me about $70.00. I have to be careful now with that much power. My hose could rip out a small tree and it's VERY fast!!! lol

JB1
01-05-2009, 07:18 AM
went to the battery on the truck and added a breaker for protection and ran it back.

I might add with good heavy wire.

rcreech
01-05-2009, 07:23 AM
Yep..

I also ran to truck batter with fuse.

VARMIT COMMISSION
01-05-2009, 08:16 AM
You guys running 6 guage wire also?

ted putnam
01-05-2009, 08:47 AM
What amp fuse?...also?
Thanks

VARMIT COMMISSION
01-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Are you guys just using a zip tie along the frame and up to battery?

ToniDavies
01-05-2009, 10:02 AM
We use a 10/2 double insulated wire with a heavy rubber outer protective cover zip tied to the under body of truck up to the battery. You will also want to use a 40 amp circuit breaker.

Ric
01-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Yo

I am running only 12 ga wire and should up grade to a heaver wire size. I only used an outside extension cord and cut it in half to use the original plug ends to connect the trailer to the truck. So far no problem but reading this gets me thinking I might have too much resistance and not enough amps for the life of the motor.

On my cab-over I only have 10 ga but a much shorter distance from the battery just under the frame to the hose reels above. From my first power reel on I have used only 10 ga wire but they have always been on the truck and a shorter distance than my now trailer with power hose reel. Besides my Cab-Over I have two 5 X 10 trailers with skid sprayer set up. The 50 gal hand crank reel is used for all those one time special jobs that can be a PITA to set up for. The other 300 gal which I only load 200 gal is used for straight insect treatment with out any fertilizer.

While Trailers can be a PITA to park or turn around on some jobs. They are a very economy way to set up equipment. Both my trailers were set up from equipment I had from my days of the big show. But now as a one man band, I find trailers to come in very handy and use them more than I expected.

Jason Rose
01-05-2009, 11:09 AM
6 gauge here, with a 50 or 100 amp fuse/breaker at the battery. Then using a 2 pole 40 or 60 amp plug (male and female) to connect the hose reel to the truck lead. I have the female end on the back of the truck right there with the trailer plug. Spray tank on a trailer. I don't do the back of the truck because I don't spray every day and it's much too hard to get it in and out of the truck bed.

I recall that I went with 6ga. because the book on the hanney reel was very clear about not using less because of the amp draw of the motor and if the wire was too small it actually stresses the motor and can burn it up... Now, I've also seen other guys running off their trailer plug too, and this is a guy that does fert full time, so it can work obviously. I just wanted mine to be right.

One other note, i also went with 6ga because I was runnning from the engine compartment all the way to the back of the truck, then another 10 feet onto the trailer. That's a long ron for 12 volt. On my latest truck I just tied onto the line side of the solenoid for the bed hoist (dump bed) so the run is only 6 or 8 feet now, could probably get by with smaller wire if I had too.

rcreech
01-05-2009, 01:57 PM
What amp fuse?...also?
Thanks

I am running a 30 amp fuse I believe.

Rhett@Gregson-Clark
01-05-2009, 03:26 PM
We offer a kit for powering a hose reel from your truck battery. It is 20 foot long overall and includes a 30 amp circuit breaker, 6 gauge wire (with terminals) for the hot and ground and a quick disconnect. If you need to remove your sprayer, the long portion of the wiring assy. stays with the truck and a short lead stays on the sprayer. This comes standard on our sprayers with electric reels and is also available as a kit for $ 69.

mngrassguy
01-05-2009, 03:50 PM
There you go. Do it right. That 10/2 wire won't give out in January. It will stop working mid-May on your busiest day when you have ALL your hose out. BTDT

ted putnam
01-05-2009, 04:08 PM
We offer a kit for powering a hose reel from your truck battery. It is 20 foot long overall and includes a 30 amp circuit breaker, 6 gauge wire (with terminals) for the hot and ground and a quick disconnect. If you need to remove your sprayer, the long portion of the wiring assy. stays with the truck and a short lead stays on the sprayer. This comes standard on our sprayers with electric reels and is also available as a kit for $ 69.

Thanks Rhett, I've been using a deep cell like some of the other guys and have seen what you have on other rigs but didn't know where to get it. Nobody local has it except for a RV supply store(maybe) and I just never got around to checking them. I'll be ordering soon.

brizine
01-05-2009, 05:30 PM
4 guage from the battery to back of truck with 50 amp breakerand quick connect. Go to a forklift supply and buy there battery quick connects (about 15.00 a set) so you can back up to the trailer and plug in and go.

azjojo99
01-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Yo

I only used an outside extension cord and cut it in half to use the original plug ends to connect the trailer to the truck. So far no problem but

Ric,

What happens if someone plugs in the extension cord to 120V? Could be a bad day. I seen this happen on a 12V pump for a diesel fuel tank. You may want to upgrade the connectors to something unique.

Joe

Ric
01-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Ric,

What happens if someone plugs in the extension cord to 120V? Could be a bad day. I seen this happen on a 12V pump for a diesel fuel tank. You may want to upgrade the connectors to something unique.

Joe

Joe

You make a good point. I am glad this thread was started. While my cab-over power hose reels are wired with 10 ga for many years, the distances is rather short. I am not going to make any changes there. However the 12 ga extension cord was a fast jury rig that has to be redone. I will look into 6 ga wire because I need at least 20 feet. The longer the run the more resistances.

RigglePLC
01-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Varmit, you left out an important, part of your farmer engineering. Did you plan to keep the deep-cycle battery near your reel? If so, a small 12 guage wire should work fine as you would only be charging the battery with juice from your alternator. If you plan to use the truck battery power--use the six guage. And yea mine has many zip ties along the frame. For safety in case it rubs through--best to run the wire through an old piece of garden hose.

Ric
01-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Riggle

I like the garden hose Idea. I have used PVC pipe on trailers for tail light wire but the garden hose is more pliable and easier to fit.

Ric
01-06-2009, 08:42 AM
Yo

I have been backing up to trailers for years. But I also have been banging up my license plate for years. Sure get dead in front of a trailer and use both your side mirror and back up, you are dead on the ball. But I almost always banged my license plate. no depth perception in mirrors!!!!

I got a brand new license plate this year and some how I didn't want to bang it up too. In the auto parts store was the answer. After many years of backing up to a trailer I was ready for the armature magnet guides that helped line you up. Only the darn things are $ 31.00 and being cheap and proud I would not buy them. However I had a cheap old fishing rod I was ready to throw away. The top end of the rod was perfect and sides into the hitch of both my trailers in such a way as to touch the tail gate just as the ball lines up. How an other advantage is you can better see this when backing up from an angle. I hit the ball dead on by looking in the center mirror or turning around and looking out the rear window. My new license plate is now 3 months old and yet to get banged the first time. I see a lot of license plates that get banged so I know I am not alone in hitting the license plate.

RigglePLC
01-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Bravo Ric--a pristine license plate is so kewl! But what if you want to go fishing?

Ric
01-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Bravo Ric--a pristine license plate is so kewl! But what if you want to go fishing?

Riggle

I will use my brand new KEWL fishing rod. But some how I don't believe you really liked my pristine license plate idea. But look at how many license plates you see on the road with the trail hitch bang.

sprayboy
01-07-2009, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=Ric;2683708]

I will use my brand new KEWL fishing rod.

Ric,

Would that mean a nice lake away from everybody, a few cold beers, no telephone to answer (turning off cell).

Nice way to enjoy life.

Ric
01-07-2009, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=Ric;2683708]

I will use my brand new KEWL fishing rod.

Ric,

Would that mean a nice lake away from everybody, a few cold beers, no telephone to answer (turning off cell).

Nice way to enjoy life.

Sprayboy

Actually that would mean the natural river behind my house. Turn west and go to the Gulf of Mexico, Turn east and go up stream to bass country. But why go any where when you can sit on the dock and catch blue gills with ultra light tackle and fight them like you are bring in wales.

CHARLES CUE
01-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Yo

I have been backing up to trailers for years. But I also have been banging up my license plate for years. Sure get dead in front of a trailer and use both your side mirror and back up, you are dead on the ball. But I almost always banged my license plate. no depth perception in mirrors!!!!

I got a brand new license plate this year and some how I didn't want to bang it up too. In the auto parts store was the answer. After many years of backing up to a trailer I was ready for the armature magnet guides that helped line you up. Only the darn things are $ 31.00 and being cheap and proud I would not buy them. However I had a cheap old fishing rod I was ready to throw away. The top end of the rod was perfect and sides into the hitch of both my trailers in such a way as to touch the tail gate just as the ball lines up. How an other advantage is you can better see this when backing up from an angle. I hit the ball dead on by looking in the center mirror or turning around and looking out the rear window. My new license plate is now 3 months old and yet to get banged the first time. I see a lot of license plates that get banged so I know I am not alone in hitting the license plate.

Ric dont know for sure but it sounds like you using the bumper with a ball y dont you just use a Reese hitch it keeps you away from the bumper and lic plate mines not banged up and know one helps me hook up the trailer
Charles Cue

Ric
01-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Ric dont know for sure but it sounds like you using the bumper with a ball y dont you just use a Reese hitch it keeps you away from the bumper and lic plate mines not banged up and know one helps me hook up the trailer
Charles Cue

Charles

Actually I use both. One trailer go on the bumper and the other on the Reese hitch. It is easier than changing the draw bar to keep them level. The taller trailer is actually much lighter than the lower one and the bumper ball is strong enough.

But what I really like about fishing rod jury rig, is being able to line up at any angle.

rcreech
01-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Hey Ric! I know what you use works...but here is another option!

Garmin has a new navigation system (Nuvi 5000) that works as GPS, but also hooks up to a back up camera. When you put your vehicle in Revese the GPS unit goes to a backup monitor.

You can also save "routes" in it. I think it will hold like 3000 stops and it will route them for you.

I am getting it for my big truck (more for safety and routing), but it will help when backing up to a trailer. You may want to check it out!

If you need a GPS unit and hook up to trailers alot it may benefit you!

It is a pretty cheap outfit considering you get the GPS and the backup camera. You are looking at about $420 off ebay.

Let me know if you need any info!

:)

Ric
01-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Hey Ric! I know what you use works...but here is another option!

Garmin has a new navigation system (Nuvi 5000) that works as GPS, but also hooks up to a back up camera. When you put your vehicle in Revese the GPS unit goes to a backup monitor.

You can also save "routes" in it. I think it will hold like 3000 stops and it will route them for you.

I am getting it for my big truck (more for safety and routing), but it will help when backing up to a trailer. You may want to check it out!

If you need a GPS unit and hook up to trailers alot it may benefit you!

It is a pretty cheap outfit considering you get the GPS and the backup camera. You are looking at about $420 off ebay.

Let me know if you need any info!

:)

Price of Garmin ................$ Big Bucks

Price of old Fishing rod............$ 0.00

Being a Cheap Old Guy ........Priceless

For everything else there is the second hand store.

Ric
01-09-2009, 09:26 AM
rcreech

Part of being cheap is the Microsoft Streets & Trips with GPS for $ 59.00. No is doesn't have a back camera that what the fishing Rod is for. But is does have all the other features of the Garmin including voice command. However unlike the Garmin it can not be up dated off the Net. You have to buy the newer program. I looked into both and felt the Lap top program best filled my needs for in town business applications since I already carry a lap top in my work truck. But To go on a trip in my car or small truck is a PITA compared to the small size and ease of moving the Garmin from one vehicle to an other. It is the trips to big cities where GPS really pays for it's self for me. However finding that new Account address is very valuable also. Seems like I don't use it a lot, But when I do it is a great time saver.

rcreech
01-09-2009, 06:03 PM
I have Streets and Trips and it is way off. Sometimes I am on the road and it shows me way off in a field and many roads are not even on there. These are old roads so I don't think it is a verision issue.

Garmin is really accurate. Every time I type in an address it puts me right in front of their mailbox.

I was just giving the the idea as I just found out last week that you could run the camera off the Garmin.

I am cheap, but love my technology and gadgets that make my job easier and more effecinent on a daily basis. I actually hate to spend money!

whoopassonthebluegrass
01-09-2009, 07:31 PM
I mounted an exercise bike to the tongue of the trailer that I wired to the hose reel to provide the needed juice. I just pedal hard while leaning over and holding the button.

That way, between the sweat, the walking, and the biking, I do a full Ironman Triathlon every day I spray.

VARMIT COMMISSION
01-09-2009, 08:01 PM
I went ahead and ordered the greggson-clark cable. It was $96.00 and it has a 14 foot lead from the trailer tongue to my sprayer. Along with the 20 footer for the truck. I believe it was a 30 amp fuse also. When I was at it I went ahead and ordered a shurflo battery backpack from them also. Now that I am excited about. It was 75 degrees with a 10mph wind here today! That gave me an excuse to recalibrate my PG, push spreader and backpack sprayers. My lawn is now blue (DYE) in 1000 square foot blocks. My acre look's like a checker board.

Ric
01-09-2009, 08:32 PM
I have Streets and Trips and it is way off. Sometimes I am on the road and it shows me way off in a field and many roads are not even on there. These are old roads so I don't think it is a verision issue.

Garmin is really accurate. Every time I type in an address it puts me right in front of their mailbox.

I was just giving the the idea as I just found out last week that you could run the camera off the Garmin.

I am cheap, but love my technology and gadgets that make my job easier and more effecinent on a daily basis. I actually hate to spend money!

rcreech

$ 59.00 vs $ 420.00. You don't always get what you pay for, But you sure don't get more than you pay for.

Ok I admit Streets and Trips it's perfect, but it close enough for me.