PDA

View Full Version : I cant make myself buy an f150

TPnTX
01-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Im looking for a used truck. I want a GM/Chev and have a few Im considering.
There is a real good deal on an 06 F150. I simply can't make myself do it.

The brakes, the mpg, the overall poor consumer reviews. I sure hate it because I actually like the truck.

TXNSLighting
01-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Poor consumer reviews? What are you reading?? The F-150 is one of the best half tons on the market! Tows great, has a fantastic ride, Gets good fuel economy for a truck. Super quiet on the inside. Best built truck hands down. So whats the problem?

TPnTX
01-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Not a Ranger an F150 :)

TPnTX
01-05-2009, 02:14 PM
edmunds talking about the 04 - 07? thats one
In reviews, we found this generation Ford F-150 to be the best in the long history of the pickup. Ride and handling were excellent, and the interiors were attractive and functional. Acceleration and braking, however, were lackluster, and we often found the F-150, even with larger engines, to be underpowered relative to the competition. The truck's heft and old-school four-speed transmissions didn't help.

TXNSLighting
01-05-2009, 03:02 PM
edmunds talking about the 04 - 07? thats one
In reviews, we found this generation Ford F-150 to be the best in the long history of the pickup. Ride and handling were excellent, and the interiors were attractive and functional. Acceleration and braking, however, were lackluster, and we often found the F-150, even with larger engines, to be underpowered relative to the competition. The truck's heft and old-school four-speed transmissions didn't help.

Eh who cares what edmunds says...I care about what i have seen personally. I have a bud on here (woody8296 i think) He bought an 05 the same time i bought my dodge, and that truck has been perfect. Im sure hell correct me but its got around 150k on it with zero problems. Ive driven it multiple times and it is better than any other truck ive driven. Plenty of power. Go drive one. Your mind will be changed. Very very comfortable trucks. All the bumps you hit feel like youre getting a message. You want an even better one, drive the 09 F-150! Superb truck there!

JB1
01-05-2009, 03:04 PM
is these the same people that right movie reviews, when they say a movie is bad is when they are good.

jefftb
01-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Well, I have one, 2007 F150 4X4 CC Lariat.

MPG is fine if you keep your foot out of it. Not sure about the poor consumer reviews-my truck has been flawless since purchase. Driving it compared to my 2003 F350 is like stepping into a limousine. Ride is firm w/o being overly so and the noise level is very low.

I can assure that I would much rather have an 06 F150 than any 06 GM 1500 series.

You can work the F150 harder than the other two.

But its your money and if want the other trucks then have at it. I care not what you drive.

Just ask yourself which truck you see more of in work environments-F150 or the other ones.

Finally, I am confused. You like the truck but are willing to base your purchase decision on everyone else's opinion of the truck and negate your own.

HenryB
01-05-2009, 03:18 PM
If you are not used to the Fords, It'll take some time. They feel like the emergency brake is on, but it is not. My 05 F 150 gets about 8-12 mpg empty no towing.I'm not a Ford hater I own 4 of them. They just could and should be a lot better.

nosparkplugs
01-05-2009, 03:40 PM
You can always go to Edmonds for good or bad reviews their is no perfect truck. Look at what others are towing with. The F-150 has been a top seller for at least 40 years. Have you not realized these truck wars have been going on for years!!! Their all good

TPnTX
01-05-2009, 05:41 PM
[But its your money and if want the other trucks then have at it. I care not what you drive.]
[Finally, I am confused. You like the truck but are willing to base your purchase decision on everyone else's opinion of the truck and negate your own. ]

well I'm so glad you told me that. It a real load off my mind to know you're not going to lose any sleep.

and no I just made an fng thread.

anyway, the cars.com is stuck it won't open up all the reviews anymore. Isn't it fairly commom knowledge that the Ford gas milage is a joke? ]
I had a couple of heritage fords they where junk after a few years.

Frontend problems drinking gas.

On the 06, I've read many reports about how bad the brakes are. I don't know I just read it.

I got an 03 Avalanche which isn't a truck it's Suburban with a patio. My sister in law has an 03 Expedition. Both have been used about the same. The Ford is a piece.

I just like chevys always have. I've got a 98 Z71. Its fine other than the leather is decaying and it has no 3rd door which is driving me crazy. So when the 06 Ford caught my eye, I started reading the reviews...horrific gas milage over and over. I thought "same ole Ford"

Back in 92 I bought an f150. That thing got 13 mpg driving like a granny.

I had an 02 Silverado that got great gas milage. I wish I still had it. You can throw a stick and hit someone who will tell you the GM Vortec gets great milage. You never hear that about a f150.
I think the 06 is a slick truck though.

nosparkplugs
01-05-2009, 05:52 PM
[But its your money and if want the other trucks then have at it. I care not what you drive.]
[Finally, I am confused. You like the truck but are willing to base your purchase decision on everyone else's opinion of the truck and negate your own. ]

well I'm so glad you told me that. It a real load off my mind to know you're not going to lose any sleep.

anyway, the cars.com is stuck it won't open up all the reviews anymore. Isn't it fairly commom knowledge that the Ford gas milage is a joke? ]

On the 06, I've read many reports about how bad the brakes are. I don't know I just read it.

I got an 03 Avalanche which isn't a truck it's Suburban with a patio. My sister in law has an 03 Expedition. Both have been used about the same. The Ford is a piece.

I just like chevys always have. I've got a 98 Z71. Its fine other than the leather is decaying and it has no 3rd door which is driving me crazy. So when the 06 Ford caught my eye, I started reading the reviews...horrific gas milage over and over. I thought "same ole Ford"

I had an 02 Silverado that got great gas milage. I wish I still had it. You can throw a stick and hit someone who will tell you the GM Vortec gets great milage. You never hear that about a f150.

Wait till 2010 you can snag a GM 1/2 ton Duramax diesel, and beat up one everyone. The gasburners will loose the premium status quickly

jefftb
01-05-2009, 05:57 PM

Well, here's the point then. I've just read all of your negative opinions on Ford but yet you still post about how you like the 06 F150. What gives? Were you hoping someone here would persuade you to buy it? IMO mine does not drink fuel-I think mine gets good gas mileage-there I just said it.

Maybe it was the rest of us and our good experiences that were of interest to you. I'm no Ford shrill and have bashed a Ford 6.0 right here on Lawnsite but am still lost-what did you want the members here to say on this? Just as many here will say Ford as will GM or Dodge or, or, or.

TXNSLighting
01-05-2009, 06:13 PM
I dont kow where the bad fuel mileage came from cuz the new tritons get very good economy. I like em and thats all that matters to me. I will own one before long. Like i said before go test drive one.

genesis215
01-05-2009, 08:47 PM
F150's are great. The MPG with the 5.4L is bad IF you are gunning it like a hotrod. If you would just drive like an old man, then you could get 18-20 MPG. Maybe 16 towing. I got that from the one I had. Ford's do get good mileage, but the 5.4L does need babied to get good mileage. The Chevy's won't be any better mileage-wise than Ford if you drive them like a hotrod. It's the driving style that makes it good or bad. Both should get close to 20 if driven right.

Lakewlc
01-05-2009, 08:51 PM
dont buy the smaller v8 on the f-150's. the think cant get out of its own way

HenryB
01-05-2009, 08:58 PM
F150's are great. The MPG with the 5.4L is bad IF you are gunning it like a hotrod. If you would just drive like an old man, then you could get 18-20 MPG. Maybe 16 towing. I got that from the one I had. Ford's do get good mileage, but the 5.4L does need babied to get good mileage. The Chevy's won't be any better mileage-wise than Ford if you drive them like a hotrod. It's the driving style that makes it good or bad. Both should get close to 20 if driven right.

A 4 cylinder Passat gets 20mpg. Not a 5.4 F150. It's fine to tell yourself that but not a potential buyer. 16 mpg towing? Please let's not misinform or flat out lie to make ourselves feel better about our truck. This is a great site but I feel the truth is most important.

Toy2
01-05-2009, 09:07 PM
My work truck is a Ford F-150, 2007, I put 30K miles in one year with no major problems, not happy with the tire wear......

Would I buy one? No, I'm hardcore Toyota, but it might be my second choice....:)

clay duncan
01-05-2009, 09:07 PM
i just bought a dump trailer and towed it 150 miles on the interstate and got 15.5. 2003 expedition 5.4..............

jefftb
01-05-2009, 09:47 PM
I talked to my brother earlier this evening about something else but asked about his fuel mileage in his CC Silverado 1500 with 5.7 and cylinder management. Its a 2008.
He gets 18-19 on the interstate running 70-75. I get about 17 running the same speed in the F150. Not much difference there.

Interestingly, he thinks he gets better mileage w/o the cruise on and the cylinders turning on/off.

TPnTX
01-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Jeff, come on man your over analyzing things. It's a thread about a truck.

Perception is reality I suppose. My red flag on a ford is this MPG as we've stated. I've driven and owned plenty of Vortecs and have had real good experiences with every one of them including MPG.

The F150 history in my mind; up to 97. They are notorious for the front end problem. Drink gas even the inline 6. And they sold millions of them.

Heritage, 97 - what 04-05. Gas drinking trucks. I owned one and you could watch the gauge move. Even driving like a human. Not an uncommon story.

06 to preasent. I do not know. I've got such a bad taste over the years, especially after being so pleased with a GM in terms of Engine and trainy. Thats why I posted this thread. Not bash or have a pissing contest. I need to add a route truck and I don't want to buy new.

As far as ROI, I have to stay under 100k on milage. That puts me in a 2003 - 2005 on a GM. I don't want to buy a LS and have a route truck all trimmed out. There are very few GM work trucks out there on the used market.

Now Ford on the other hand has put tons of XL's on the road. As a practical matter it's looking like I have a better chance of finding a good deal on a used XL. As it stands if Ford hasn't changed what I already know, then I'd rather not go there. So I look at this 06 and right off the bat the consumer reviews are far worse than gm consumer reviews. Mostly Gas milage. Go I go to my trusted website to state my position and perhaps get some feed back. So again Jeff thanks for analyzing my motives and setting me straight but I think you misunderstand my situation.

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
01-06-2009, 11:29 AM
then dont buy one....simple as that

jefftb
01-06-2009, 11:34 AM
then dont buy one....simple as that

This was my point all along. You said it much more plainly than my over analyzing statements......:rolleyes::waving:

TXNSLighting
01-06-2009, 11:46 AM
A 4 cylinder Passat gets 20mpg. Not a 5.4 F150. It's fine to tell yourself that but not a potential buyer. 16 mpg towing? Please let's not misinform or flat out lie to make ourselves feel better about our truck. This is a great site but I feel the truth is most important.

Not quite guy. The chevy and ford half tons do get 18-20 hwy no problem. You obviously dont know what youre talking about.

DLAWNS
01-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Im looking for a used truck. I want a GM/Chev and have a few Im considering.
There is a real good deal on an 06 F150. I simply can't make myself do it.

The brakes, the mpg, the overall poor consumer reviews. I sure hate it because I actually like the truck.

I feel ya'. I'm a Chevy guy also and even if a Ford seems to be a good deal...I just go right back to looking at Chevys.

HenryB
01-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Not quite guy. The chevy and ford half tons do get 18-20 hwy no problem. You obviously dont know what youre talking about.

Ryan,
I wish I were wrong. I'd save a lot of money in fuel. I'm not wrong. I'm pretty meticulous with all my calculations. Most important whatever makes you feel good; believe. The big three can make a lot better vehicles. Lying to make there stuff look better will only help to sink them. Telling someone that their F150 will get 16mpg towing and 20 mpg hwy is going to make them hate Ford after the purchase. Use your brain really think about what I'm saying. I'd love to see the big three dominating with great vehicles. Blindly devoted fans loving poor quality vehicles is not helping

TXNSLighting
01-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Ryan,
I wish I were wrong. I'd save a lot of money in fuel. I'm not wrong. I'm pretty meticulous with all my calculations. Most important whatever makes you feel good; believe. The big three can make a lot better vehicles. Lying to make there stuff look better will only help to sink them. Telling someone that their F150 will get 16mpg towing and 20 mpg hwy is going to make them hate Ford after the purchase. Use your brain really think about what I'm saying. I'd love to see the big three dominating with great vehicles. Blindly devoted fans loving poor quality vehicles is not helping

Not quite bud! I am not blindly devoted or anything. I go off experience. I never said they get 16 towing. more like 12 would be accurate. But i had a f-150 4x4 that consistently got 19 mpg hwy. In no way am i trying to make them look good, im stating facts!

I also never said they were perfect. They definately have room for improvement and Ford is definately getting there, as well as dodge.

TPnTX
01-07-2009, 09:12 AM
This was my point all along. You said it much more plainly than my over analyzing statements......:rolleyes::waving:

lol you guy lighten up and don't act like a 13 girl who just got punched in the tiddy. *trucewhiteflag*

What I'm finding out there is on the GM side you pay the same for an 00 - 01 LS trim as you do for a 03-04 XL.

If I were to run across a GM extended cab work truck with low'ish miles I'd be all over it. Reminds me of the old saying people by fords to work and chevys to go to the store. cute huh?

I have found an 03 F150, XL V8 ext cab long bed w/76k extremly well kept. Looks like it was a super's truck or something.

I also see a 06 same truck with 50k for 2000 more. Between the two I lean toward the 06.

Man what will the neighbors say if I buy a Ford

TPnTX
01-07-2009, 09:16 AM
I feel ya'. I'm a Chevy guy also and even if a Ford seems to be a good deal...I just go right back to looking at Chevys.

bill which blower is that in the pic on your website 8001?

CLARK LAWN
01-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Guys they are TRUCKS they are made to work not get good milage, if you want something that gets good milage get a chevy cobalt. Ive had thrucks from all 3 and they all got about the same milage. currentley i have 3 fords becuase they seem to hold up the best under WORK conditions.

TPnTX
01-07-2009, 10:09 AM
what is the latest model GM 1/2 ton you've owned?

DLAWNS
01-07-2009, 11:20 AM
bill which blower is that in the pic on your website 8001?

It's a 7001 and there is I believe a 4401 with that also. I love Redmax handhelds!

TPnTX
01-07-2009, 01:31 PM
I just got one of the 8001s it sounds like a dirt bike starting up. Its heavy but it does get the job done. I've been so pleased with echo in terms of dependabilty and always starting. I was a little apprehensive to drop 5 bills on a different blower. Nothing worse that a pos 2stroke.

I see redmax is all you run.

I got another nosey question. When you fill up your truck and cans do you always have to let an attendant do it? Is that a NJ state thing. We were at Cape May a while back, drove in from NYC. I pulled in to get gas in the rent car and basically got my azz handed to me when I tried to pump it myself. I don't remember where we where exactlly so I always wondered if it was state wide.

TXNSLighting
01-07-2009, 03:50 PM
You said you had one of the 97-03 f-150's right tom? Thats not the current engine or body style. They have made big improvements since that body style. Like i said just go drive one and mess around with it. They are fantastic trucks.

mjlcare
01-09-2009, 11:47 AM
i have an 02 f150 supercrew, 5.4 lariat, with 106K on it right now, will pull a fully loaded trailer circles around a comparable chevy of the same engine class and size truck. Ford has just made there half tons that much better than the rest, i work also at discount tire through the winter months, and see the under bodies of all these trucks and you wouldnt believe the difference between the three, dodges are just too fking big, lol chevy's just dont have enough and fords are big and beefy but at the same time small. great truck you wont be sorry. i have had not major prob, a few spark plugs and a front brake caliper. major $500 in repairs. compared to trannies and radiators and other repairs known to chevys.

look at pics of my rig and

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=230351

DLAWNS
01-09-2009, 12:05 PM
I just got one of the 8001s it sounds like a dirt bike starting up. Its heavy but it does get the job done. I've been so pleased with echo in terms of dependabilty and always starting. I was a little apprehensive to drop 5 bills on a different blower. Nothing worse that a pos 2stroke.

I see redmax is all you run.

I got another nosey question. When you fill up your truck and cans do you always have to let an attendant do it? Is that a NJ state thing. We were at Cape May a while back, drove in from NYC. I pulled in to get gas in the rent car and basically got my azz handed to me when I tried to pump it myself. I don't remember where we where exactlly so I always wondered if it was state wide.

It isn't nosy at all! Unfortunately it is all self serve! It drives me crazy!:angry:
I usually just fill all my stuff before they even get to me. Some don't mind, some don't like it all! It's funny, they want to fill the truck and the gas cans, but they will not touch the mowers. I don't like them doing the gas cans because of mixing gas and oil and I like to fill the straight gas cans to a certain level so that they are maxed out without spilling. I got used to doing it myself when I lived down in Florida so it's a little annoying.