PDA

View Full Version : Removable Trailer Tongue

jefftb
01-05-2009, 08:28 PM
I've got in my mind a custom design for a jobsite trailer using JOBOX site storage boxes. I would like to mount these on a tandem axle trailer.

However, part of my design is for a removable tongue on the trailer to provide a better level of security for it. Its harder to steal a trailer if there is no trailer hitch on it. Yeah I know they could bring a roll-back and just winch it up.

Anyone ever seen something like it? I know Fulton has something like this but I cannot get any information on it. Any ideas?

How about opinions on what DOT would think of the removable tongue setup if it were a modification of a standard trailer. We could certainly cut the tongue off a trailer and then drill the two pieces for mating back together with nut/bolt setup.

The total trailer weight would not exceed 7,000 lbs including the trailer itself.

jimslawns
01-05-2009, 08:34 PM
What about a slide in tounge??

One big piece with bigger/smaller slide in/over with a couple of 3/4" pins.

IdealLawnCare
01-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Ive seen a folding tongue on boat trailers that uses pins I think. I believe you can remove it a the folding point. You remove about 24".

jefftb
01-05-2009, 08:41 PM
What about a slide in tounge??

One big piece with bigger/smaller slide in/over with a couple of 3/4" pins.

Kind of like a receiver hitch? Pretty cool idea. We could fab something like that up.

nosparkplugs
01-05-2009, 09:13 PM
I've got in my mind a custom design for a jobsite trailer using JOBOX site storage boxes. I would like to mount these on a tandem axle trailer.

However, part of my design is for a removable tongue on the trailer to provide a better level of security for it. Its harder to steal a trailer if there is no trailer hitch on it. Yeah I know they could bring a roll-back and just winch it up.

Anyone ever seen something like it? I know Fulton has something like this but I cannot get any information on it. Any ideas?

How about opinions on what DOT would think of the removable tongue setup if it were a modification of a standard trailer. We could certainly cut the tongue off a trailer and then drill the two pieces for mating back together with nut/bolt setup.

The total trailer weight would not exceed 7,000 lbs including the trailer itself.

Sounds like a great idea, don't be fooled into a false sense of security. Criminals here in Memphis are targeting, and stealing Lawn care & equipment trailers, and doing it with great efficiency. A buddy of mine in the business had his whole trailer stolen within a secured storage facility. The criminals rented a storage unit using fake Id's. Then staked out the place, Picked my friends truck & trailer. Under the cover of darkness proceeded to cut the tongue off the trailer, and somehow attach the trailer to their truck bumper, took down a wood fence drove the trailer trough, and then rehung the fence drove off with $52,000 worth of equipment. The trailer was found in Olive Branch, MS cut into pieces on a side road, ZTR's, handhelds were gone, they left nothing of any value took axles, copper wire, nothing much left.

I personally have quit leaving trailers or equipment on jobsite's it's not worth the risk anymore. It's cheaper to burn the extra fuel than replace a trailer

I store my equipment separate from my trailers, and even rent a 22x30 fully enclosed storage unit for my most expensive trailer.

lifetree
01-05-2009, 09:34 PM
... I personally have quit leaving trailers or equipment on jobsite's it's not worth the risk anymore. It's cheaper to burn the extra fuel than replace a trailer ...

Smart man !!

jefftb
01-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Sounds like a great idea, don't be fooled into a false sense of security. Criminals here in Memphis are targeting, and stealing Lawn care & equipment trailers, and doing it with great efficiency. A buddy of mine in the business had his whole trailer stolen within a secured storage facility. The criminals rented a storage unit using fake Id's. Then staked out the place, Picked my friends truck & trailer. Under the cover of darkness proceeded to cut the tongue off the trailer, and somehow attach the trailer to their truck bumper, took down a wood fence drove the trailer trough, and then rehung the fence drove off with $52,000 worth of equipment. The trailer was found in Olive Branch, MS cut into pieces on a side road, ZTR's, handhelds were gone, they left nothing of any value took axles, copper wire, nothing much left.

I personally have quit leaving trailers or equipment on jobsite's it's not worth the risk anymore. It's cheaper to burn the extra fuel than replace a trailer

I store my equipment separate from my trailers, and even rent a 22x30 fully enclosed storage unit for my most expensive trailer.

Damn that's like the syndicate. That much effort and planning for a landscape operation trailer. Geez ol' pete.

wellbuilt
01-05-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm looking to do the same type of thing . First I thought i would sell one of my 12' dump trailers and replace it with a new14' roll off dump trailer. Then i can make a shop trailer on a flat deck with job boxes bolted to the inside and drop it on the ground . Also extra dump boxes , flat bed . Its nice to work off the ground . My next thought was to roll a 6'6 " x11'6 x 7'high shop box in to a 12' dumpster and roll it out on a new location . The question is how to pull it in the dumpster ? A winch would be nice . How about 2 large coma longs . I move to a different job every few week. I have a removable tong on my cement mixer . I think you would have to get the trailer recertified if you change the structure . I really want a 8x20' trailer but don't have a spot to park it now John

Gravel Rat
01-06-2009, 01:51 AM
If a theif wants it bad enough no hitch or not if they have a way of moving it they will.

Nothing is safe if you have bad crime in the area you live in.

The best theft deterent is a electric shock some enough to give them a good jolt that might knock them on their azz :laugh:

topsites
01-06-2009, 04:56 AM
I personally have quit leaving trailers or equipment on jobsite's it's not worth the risk anymore

Please tell me this is NOT the reason you're looking for a removable tongue!
Oh hell no, do forget this idea quickly, no way, no how.

PhillipsBrosLawnCare
01-06-2009, 10:29 AM
All the boats I've had have folding tongues to make the set-up shorter. If you want some good ideas you may look into this - BoatMate is the manufacturer. They pivot, but they're held in by big pins - so you can take these out and "remove the tongue" to some degree - keep in mind you're still going to have all your wiring harness and brake harnesses that go through this tongue... or most due. But simple issue to resolve.

ken gustafson
01-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Just my input.......... www.trailerlocksonline.com Then click on the picture that appears like your setup. If I could speed up the U.S. Patent Office....I would have other types of trailer locks.
Everyone knows that speeding up the U.S. Government on anything is a very big task. So far.....it is a bigger task than I can generate..........and I have already paid $15,000 and they seem to be in no hurry to get the other $15,000. Ken