PDA

View Full Version : Go daddy web builder??

N.H.BOY
01-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Has anyone have any info on go daddy web builder?? pro's --con's?? thanks in advance for any info. Thinking about going this route. Scott.

Kiril
01-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Generally speaking, all site builders suck.

ritchiem
01-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Hey Scott,

Sitebuilders are pretty bad, but to put up a website for the sake of putting up a website it can be your best bet.

If you would like professional results, seek a professional. However most web savvy people can edit HTML these days (or at least try it seems). Lots of free templates out there.

WebMan
01-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Generally speaking, all site builders suck.
Most do, but not all. It's like everything else, the good ones cost the host a lot more to provide than the cheap ones so you will see more hosts with lousy ones than good ones.
I certainly would not recommend GoDaddy's but there are some (used by a couple of people here) that are good ones that allow you to produce a professional looking site that will perform well on the search engines. (Of course like anything you have to learn to use it. All software has some learning curve. Most site builders have an easy "wizard" that will produce a site with little effort but not the quality you will get if you learn to use the program and really get into it)

Also there is only one I know of that allows you to take your site with you if you change hosts. With most if you change hosts you lose all the work you put into the site. You can build a site that's good-looking without spending forever trying to learn an expensive program like Dreamweaver and after paying hundreds for a program like that you can still build a lousy site with it if you don't learn how to use it well.

If it's your first site and you can't afford $200-$300 to have one built and maybe you are "snowed in" right now with time on your hands, a good site builder can be a good place to start--better than no web site at all (which these days is like a flag that says "we're not really serious about business")
The main mistake I see with site builders is the person building them. When you build your own you tend to build it from your point of view instead of the customer's. So it's easy to make an ineffective web site that looks good to you but won't get the customer to call or contact you (which is the goal of ALL service web sites...if they don't contact you-No Sale). Remember to look at the site from a customer's point of view (or get some friends or basically uninterested parties to look at it when you are finished ...or post it here---this forum is full of critics if you ask :laugh:

N.H.BOY
01-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Yea the wife has dreamweaver software and we are in the process of working on my web site, just about done, just need to get a domain name and fine a place to host it..any ideas? yahoo maybe?

WebMan
01-09-2009, 10:15 AM
By domain from GoDaddy or Dotster (or your host IF they are reputable and use your name as ALL the contacts) then get a web host to host your site. Anybody can technically host Dreamweaver so you just need a quality host and for that go with a host; not a search engine (yahoo) or domain name company (GoDaddy-Dotster) but someone who specializes in business web hosting for small business where you will get all the "good stuff" you need and still have personal support.
Don't worry about big numbers on hosting plans (lots of GB's of this and that) I host a lot of Dreamweaver sites and they are generally very efficient and use almost no disk space or bandwidth (measured in MB's not even 1 GB so why fall for an offer with 750GB for $3.99?)