PDA

View Full Version : lespedeza

clay duncan
01-05-2009, 09:36 PM
i have a road right of way i maintain that has lovegrass, fescue and lespedeza mixed with it. the lespedeza is taking over and i need to kill it off. i plan on spraying this spring but i am not sure what chemical to use. would weedbgone work? i am open to any ideas or suggestions......i have 5 miles to spray......

RigglePLC
01-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Lespedeza, crown vetch, clover, sweetpea and all legumes are great for road sides. They add about a pound of nitrogen per year. To keep it thick and healthy, you don't need to fertilize (except P and K, and lespedeza doesn't need much P, and acid soil is OK). Why would you want to get rid of it? Better you should try to spray to get rid of dandelions and thistles--and leave the lespedza alone. Can you mow once per year just before greenup? This might be a good place to apply manure waste.

clay duncan
01-05-2009, 11:26 PM
the lespedeza is growing thick and tall and falling over, it looks unkept. the POA wants something done about it. alot of the terrain is steep and it is not possible to mow. we keep about 3 to 4 feet mowed along the road and the lespedeza has taken off and is hanging everywhere. i dont want to kill it all, but maybe peel it back 2 or 3 ft. i need something selective because i want to keep the grass for sroision control......

greendoctor
01-06-2009, 01:43 AM
Milestone or Garlon4. That will kill anything that is not a grass. Weed-B-Gon might work partially, but I have had bad experiences with amine based Three-Way herbicides.

Grandview
01-06-2009, 07:01 AM
If you just want to set it back triplett or three way will do. If you need more try crossbow or something with Chlorypid. Not sure I got that spelling right.

Ric
01-06-2009, 09:11 AM
If you just want to set it back triplett or three way will do. If you need more try crossbow or something with Chlorypid. Not sure I got that spelling right.

Not being familiar Lespedeza I didn't want to answer. But in Aquatic work where I don't want to kill a steep bank because of erosion control, but still want knock down height. I use Diquat (Reward) as a non systemic contact kill and spray lightly (depending on height) over the top. This seems to knock back or suppress height with out actually killing the ground cover.