PDA

View Full Version : St Augustine experts

jsw2008
01-06-2009, 10:56 AM
I have a new customer who had st aug sod put down last summer and the installers left a few low spots around a french drain that are collecting lots of water when it rains. The area does drain slowly but stays wet and the sod is not doing well there. Its raining hard here today and the customer just called and wants me to put down some river sand in the low spots. Will this do any good as a long term fix for the low spots or will the sod stay too wet and die or the long run? My idea is to build the area up with top soil and lay new sod on top. But will the existing grass run and grow into the sand filled areas if the customer won't go to the expense of top soil and new sod for the area?

ignat0
01-06-2009, 02:59 PM
St Aug should have no problem filling in if you just put sand in. This time of year it is dormant. You won't see growth till night temps hit 65^ I've had problems around gutters not from too much water but from tile or shingles used on roof or roof cleaning can leave a residual that drains into turf.

ICT Bill
01-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Course sand will tear up the blades on your mower throughout the year, try to make a permanant fix by tearing the area up and regrading it

jsw2008
01-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Well, the customer changed his mind about the whole thing. Turns out this is not the first time the area has been re-sodded. It always stays wet (must be an underground spring or something) and he's tired of spending money on what he sees as a losing battle. Now he has decided to make a planting bed out of the area and use plants that like their feet wet. Thanks anyway for the replies guys.