PDA

View Full Version : Hydrilia, and how to kill it.

EagleLandscape
01-06-2009, 12:37 PM
There is Hydrilia in a pond at an HOA that we manage. It's growing, and I would assume eventually clog up the drain.

The pond has no fish, but it does have frogs and ducks from time to time.

No other desirable vegetation is growing in the pond.

How can I get rid of Hydrilia?

thanks,

Ric
01-06-2009, 12:59 PM
jwing

Hydrilla can be a PITA to control without Grass Carp to eat it. Once it is over grown the only way I have found to gain control quickly is mechanically removing it.

Copper Sulfate and Diquat (Reward) Mixed to the highest label rate can control it or suppress over grown Hydrilla. But Diquat only has a short half life once sprayed into water. Other chemicals that work have side effects you don't want to deal with. But the real key is Grass Eating Carp. You can purchase them from suppliers in the 10 inch fingering size and in a couple of years they get to 30 or 40 pounds. But until they reach full maturity they can not clean a over grown pond. Of course the more food the quicker they will grow. But I have found that by first cleaning the pond, then stocking it, I have no more Hydrilla problems. This is a case of Biological control at it's best.

Hydrilla only grows in shallow water. Therefore you can wade the areas where Hydrilla grows. I have found the old Stihl pole hedge trimmer with the fixed 45 degree head to work well in cutting Hydrilla off the bottom. It then floats for Easy but back breaking collection. Rake it to shore and then Pitch fork it into wheel barrows to be hauled away. BTW it does made good compost.

EagleLandscape
01-06-2009, 01:15 PM
oh geez.

sounds like a big deal.

the pong guy ID'd it has hydrilla, but I looked at pictures online and it doesnt look like what I've seen in the pond. I'll snap some pictures and report back.

A.T.A.K
01-06-2009, 07:13 PM
You can allso try Avast or Sonar works great in closed bodies of water. Now you will pay a very high price to use these products around $1400.00 a gallon but it goes a long way. Look them up they will be your best choice.

Ric
01-06-2009, 08:16 PM
You can allso try Avast or Sonar works great in closed bodies of water. Now you will pay a very high price to use these products around $1400.00 a gallon but it goes a long way. Look them up they will be your best choice.

Tim

Grass Carp are only $ 5.00 each and work for several years. :)

bug-guy
01-07-2009, 07:44 AM
check out products by a company called pond champs they have a 4 step program

A.T.A.K
01-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Tim

Grass Carp are only $ 5.00 each and work for several years. :)

LOL I have allways had a problem buying them. E-Mail me where you buy yours. Most of the time when Hydrilla is involved people want instant results so avast has allways been my drug of choice. Ric is right for long term control Carp are the way to go if you can get them.

Ric
01-07-2009, 11:21 AM
LOL I have allways had a problem buying them. E-Mail me where you buy yours. Most of the time when Hydrilla is involved people want instant results so avast has allways been my drug of choice. Ric is right for long term control Carp are the way to go if you can get them.

Tim

Twice I have typed a novel about Grass Carp and twice my Computer has crashed just before hitting the submit button. I am not typing that novel again. Call me if you have any question. I sure call you enough with structural pest control questions.

Dept of Wildlife Website has both permits and supplier of Grass Carp listed. My Local supplier has quite the tropical fish operation and only does Grass Carp as a side line.

BTW At $ 1400 a gallon I am more Scrooge than Al Gore. :waving: