PDA

View Full Version : Salt?

NewHorizon's Land
01-06-2009, 12:36 PM
What is a better alternative to Rock salt for pavers? I know -- heated pavement. But that is not in the question/budget for us where it does not freeze alot.

Twitchy
01-06-2009, 12:56 PM
I use a calcium chloride blend for pavers and concrete. I leaves no white residue also.The Dow company makes it.

Fiano Landscapes
01-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Make sure to check with your paver manufacturer. I have one of my manufacturers tell me that if salt is used on the pavers in voids the warranty. We offer a five year warranty ourselves, and when we give the customer that our manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty. I would at least ask them, and put it in your warranty part of your contract. It never hurts to cover your butt.

NewHorizon's Land
01-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Fiano what do you use to remove ice?

Fiano Landscapes
01-06-2009, 01:35 PM
If the customer wants to pay for it we install radiant heat systems. If they do not want to pay for the system them I simply explain to them that your going to have a problem with ice then, or I have thrown sand before. It's not very fun to cleanup in the spring though. You could probably use backpack torch, i haven't ever used on in that senario though.

ford550
01-07-2009, 03:30 PM
That's why we use Techo Bloc, you can use rock salt and it is still warranted for life against deterioration and that's in writing. No brainer.

With any other manufacturer, use CaCl