PDA

View Full Version : Taxing Labor

solaras
02-25-2002, 09:26 PM
When can you tax labor? Or is it not legal.

Lanelle
02-25-2002, 11:51 PM
Each state has its own set of sales tax laws which vary widely from state to state.

LoneStarLawn
02-25-2002, 11:52 PM
Are you refering to sales tax? Each state has their own guidelines.

MOW ED
02-26-2002, 08:10 AM
Yep and those are some goofy guidelines here.
I have to tax all of my work at 5.5% but tree guys don't have to tax anything. It depends on the type of work you do and who you do it for. Its nice that they change it a little every year or so. Ya need a degree in accounting to follow all the changes.

Politicians can screw up a good wet _)(** ah forget it. It gets me angry. But I still pay it every month.

crayguzman
01-08-2005, 03:03 PM
Are you refering to sales tax? Each state has their own guidelines.
Where could I find information on Taxing labor for Florida State Or any state for that matter???? :blob3:

Soupy
01-08-2005, 03:28 PM
Yep and those are some goofy guidelines here.
I have to tax all of my work at 5.5% but tree guys don't have to tax anything. It depends on the type of work you do and who you do it for. Its nice that they change it a little every year or so. Ya need a degree in accounting to follow all the changes.

Politicians can screw up a good wet _)(** ah forget it. It gets me angry. But I still pay it every month.

You mean your customers pay it, and you send it in?

Fvstringpicker
01-09-2005, 12:41 AM
In most states that I'm familiar with only fabrication labor for work done fabricating tangible personal property (i.e. your company builds equipment and sells the equipment directly to the consumer) is taxable as part of the sales price. Also, in these states, the contractor is considered the consumer and pays sales tax on the material purchased (i.e. building a house) Construction labor is not ordinarily taxed. But the laws in each state vary.

MOW ED
01-09-2005, 09:43 AM
You mean your customers pay it, and you send it in?
Yep. I have the set price of $xx.00 per mow and the invoice shows that for each week or for whatever function that I do (fert, spray, aeration etc.) and at the bottom there is the sales tax box that multiplys the price times the tax rate for the total tax due. Its all added to the grand total which I expect in the mail.
I take the tax amount and put it in a seperate account and every month I file my sales tax payment with the state. I can do it online in about 5 minutes.

The one thing that is ok for me is that I do not have to pay tax on my raw materials for resale. That is all of my fertilizer and herbicides and specialty chemicals do not get taxed when I buy them. I do collect on every property that I apply on. The state makes out well on this but I am no worse for wear.

PR Fect
01-09-2005, 10:05 AM
Ed, learned that one a ways back from my old employer. We would go on a job, trim or remove a few trees, install a retaining wall, put in a lawn, redo the drive. Half the job has sales tax, the rest does not. We would tax it all and send it in. The customer is the one who loses. By the way on this side of the county line its just 5%, go Green Bay Packers!

MOW ED
01-09-2005, 12:44 PM
Ya PR that extra tax frosts my a$$. I wishe the state of Wisconsin would impose an extra tax so that my small business could buy more equipment and expand. Doesn't seem right especially since the Packers are a money making organization.
You know that being from Chicago I am not a Packers fan at all so I am looking forward to their season closing today against my second favorite team.

Go Vikings. ;)