PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever run an on-board air compressor? What setup?

Chop Stuff Up
01-06-2009, 07:14 PM
I have a 2HP 8 gallon 120v compressor now, I want to be able to run air tools off of my truck. I'm thinking of just running this off of a 1,500 or 2,500 watt power inverter. I can't find anything that tells me how many watts a 2hp compressor actually draws. And whether the power inverter would be the best option, or if I should consider a gas generator. Or if there is any such thing as a decent 12v air compressor capable of running air tools.

02DURAMAX
01-06-2009, 07:29 PM
2 gallons will run out fast with air tools!

Chop Stuff Up
01-06-2009, 07:38 PM
2 gallons will run out fast with air tools!

Who said anything about 2 gallons?

Potomac Lawns Inc.
01-06-2009, 07:41 PM
instead of a generator why not buy a gas air compressor

Chop Stuff Up
01-06-2009, 07:50 PM
instead of a generator why not buy a gas air compressor

:hammerhead: why didn't I think of that.

CrystalCreek
01-06-2009, 11:38 PM
I have a 2HP 8 gallon 120v compressor now, I want to be able to run air tools off of my truck. I'm thinking of just running this off of a 1,500 or 2,500 watt power inverter. I can't find anything that tells me how many watts a 2hp compressor actually draws. And whether the power inverter would be the best option, or if I should consider a gas generator. Or if there is any such thing as a decent 12v air compressor capable of running air tools.

AWDirect.com They sell heavy towing gear and some awesome 12 volt compressors. Very expensive. I think its under the truck tools section. I will try to find them and post a link.

Gravel Rat
01-06-2009, 11:56 PM
You can get a Vmac underhood compressor but your looking at big bucks. Your other option is build some reserve tanks something you could saddle mount on under the box. The compressor you keep in the box or the portable one can be small enough that you can move around. You use the little compressor to feed your reserve tank and you work off the reserve tank.

The gas powered compressors are heavy and you would have to perminately mount it.

Even with a reserve tank mounted under the truck you can go to a gas station and fill the tank up with their tire filling station.

02DURAMAX
01-07-2009, 01:21 AM
Who said anything about 2 gallons?

read wrong..2hp not gallons..:hammerhead:..but 8gallons is still very little...I have a 25Gallons and it runs out fast.

44DCNF
01-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Forget all that mess and get a CO2 tank. Look up Powertank.

nosparkplugs
01-07-2009, 12:36 PM
I have always carried a 25 gallon compressor in my truck bed, it's electric I mainly use it for tire inflation, lug nuts, breaking spindle nuts & bolts loose, use the blow gun for onsite equipment cleaning.

I would not want to be caught with less than a 25 gallon compressor. If I am running low on air pressure, and I cannot find a electrical outlet I conserve air volume, and only use the air impact for the intial breaking loose of nuts & bolts.

My biggest problem hasd always been theaft, Folks love stealing air compressors

buyisuzu
01-07-2009, 01:44 PM
You can also get a small bottle of Nitrogen @ 2200psi which will last a while it will cost next to nothing and when you run low you just fill it back up. Cheap regulator will cost you 30-40 bucks.

Nitrogen is one the cheapest gases Air Gas/National Welders sells

brandon9996
01-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Blue max, best built portable compressors for years, ive got 2 and they are great

Chop Stuff Up
01-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Actually after giving it more thought, I don't think a gas powered one would really make sense. I need something I can mount inside a cargo van. Maybe if I just suck up and buy a 2,500 watt power inverter (5,000 surge). I don't want to run into electrical issues later on like burning up the alternator though, that was my other concern. Or I was thinking the 2hp compressor and add a 10 gallon reserve tank? The largest 12v compressor I saw on AWdirect was only 3/4HP, it would probably be running forever to re-fill.

nosparkplugs
01-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Generally speaking the portable high PSI CO2 small tank or these smaller portable tanks are very expensive, and geared towards the rock crawling or off road industry. The product line's description goes something like " if you don't have room or only need occasional use a power tool or inflate a tire" their not for true commercial use. Nothing will replace air volume when running air tools. All your doing is increasing PSI with a smaller volume that's really smart for air tool life.

IdealLawnCare
01-10-2009, 10:11 PM
I dont have any use for a lot of air so I carry a 5 gal. bucket full of air. No thats not right. I have a 5 gal. air tank I carry Just for a low tire or something like that.

TandM
01-11-2009, 07:51 PM
how about a 13hp ingersoll rand compressor we have 2 on our service trucks haha