PDA

View Full Version : Allison 1000 vs Aisin 6 speed

nosparkplugs
01-07-2009, 07:17 PM
The Allison name is legenadry in transmissions, Aisin at face value may appear new; however the Aisin 6 speed is the NPR automatic, with a legendary record for reliabilty. Aisin is the Japanese "Allison".

Transmission rebuilders have long said the Allison 1000 is almost too smart. The argument is that the Allison is always learning or hunting for gears. Of course Allison is always offering upgrades to correct these problems.

With the introduction of the Aisin 6 speed the Allison weakness's are now being uncovered again. The Aisin 6 speed is suppose to shift much smoother than the Allison is not prone to the Allison gear hunting.

Folks also need to remember the Allison 1000 is built to GM spec's, it can only handle 150lb/ft over stock. Aisin 6 speed is no better either. SO no matter the choice all these auto slushbox's are pushing the OEM envelope

Both are heavy duty transmission's, at this level of quality yes it comes down to splitting hairs:laugh:

stuvecorp
01-07-2009, 07:31 PM
It will be interesting to see how the Aisin does, have read good things on the interweb but haven't meet anyone with real world experience. I really like the Dodge(& former Bullet) specs but they just don't seem to be out there.

02DURAMAX
01-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Smoother?....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

GravelyNut
01-07-2009, 09:06 PM
The Allison name is legenadry in transmissions, Aisin at face value may appear new; however the Aisin 6 speed is the NPR automatic, with a legendary record for reliabilty. Aisin is the Japanese "Allison".

Transmission rebuilders have long said the Allison 1000 is almost too smart. The argument is that the Allison is always learning or hunting for gears. Of course Allison is always offering upgrades to correct these problems.

With the introduction of the Aisin 6 speed the Allison weakness's are now being uncovered again. The Aisin 6 speed is suppose to shift much smoother than the Allison is not prone to the Allison gear hunting.

Folks also need to remember the Allison 1000 is built to GM spec's, it can only handle 150lb/ft over stock. Aisin 6 speed is no better either. SO no matter the choice all these auto slushbox's are pushing the OEM envelope

Both are heavy duty transmission's, at this level of quality yes it comes down to splitting hairs:laugh:

Maybe on the DM it might hunt for the right gear. But on my 01 5-speed, it tends to go down a gear and stay there longer than needed. Doesn't hunt empty or loaded. Mine did have a factory valve spring change in it back about 50K miles ago which took care of the hard engagement. It got a new flex plate, pump, and seal then too as the flex plate was starting to fracture. Of course, you're not supposed to exceed a tailshaft speed of 4600 RPM either. :laugh:

Gravel Rat
01-07-2009, 09:07 PM
The Allison transmission in the GM trucks isn't a true Allison it doesn't live up to the Allison name. It was designed for P/U trucks and that was it. Built cheap as it could be so it wouldn't drive the price up on a P/U truck.

The true Allison transmissions is the ones used in the old HDX logging trucks they are 6spds with a 12v71 infront of it. The trucks are designed to gross 200,000lbs and decend the bush grades of 15-18%.

GM doesn't even own Allison anymore it used to be Detroit Allison. They used to make marine transmissions. Now you have ZF making automatics, Eaton is making them there are other manufactures building them for class 8 trucks.

People hear the word Allison and think that the transmission used in the GMC P/Us is good. Its not like I said its build cheap as they can. If it was built the way a Allison should be you would be paying allot more for a GM pickup.

The max gvw rating for the 1000 Series is 19,000lbs so the tranmission is maxed out in a 4500-5500 Chevy truck.

Gravel Rat
01-07-2009, 09:13 PM
These trucks have the legendary Allison transmissions your not going to see a 1000 series do this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2--nyXHQy4s

02DURAMAX
01-07-2009, 09:17 PM
The Allison transmission in the GM trucks isn't a true Allison it doesn't live up to the Allison name. It was designed for P/U trucks and that was it. Built cheap as it could be so it wouldn't drive the price up on a P/U truck.

The true Allison transmissions is the ones used in the old HDX logging trucks they are 6spds with a 12v71 infront of it. The trucks are designed to gross 200,000lbs and decend the bush grades of 15-18%.

GM doesn't even own Allison anymore it used to be Detroit Allison. They used to make marine transmissions. Now you have ZF making automatics, Eaton is making them there are other manufactures building them for class 8 trucks.

People hear the word Allison and think that the transmission used in the GMC P/Us is good. Its not like I said its build cheap as they can. If it was built the way a Allison should be you would be paying allot more for a GM pickup.

The max gvw rating for the 1000 Series is 19,000lbs so the tranmission is maxed out in a 4500-5500 Chevy truck.

and who said the C4500 and C5500 have a 1000?

they have the 2000/2400 Series Allisons NOT the 1000's!!

so they are not maxed out and a 1000 allison is rated for 26,000Lbs

tnmtn
01-07-2009, 09:20 PM
on many forums i have read how people say the best truck would be the ford chassis with a cummins engine and the allison transmission. i have had to trucks with the allison and have worked them both very hard in very mountainous terrain. they both have held up great with no problems. as far as hunting for gears i've never experianced this problem, mine have been right where they need to be. i have heard many good things about the aisin as well, just have no experience with them. i am sold on allisons as is about every GM owner i have come across. perhaps some of the ford/chrysler guys may know better about the allison. lol.
good luck,

jefftb
01-07-2009, 09:20 PM
I said this in another post. The Allison 1000 is a GM spec'd product, on an Allison design, with an Allison name. At the end of the day its not a true Allison product.

Allison will clearly have a say in the end product because they are not going to wish the longterm survival and name of Allison for the GM cash flow stream.

GM may be gone next year but Allison does not want to be the baby thrown out with the bath water.

(P.S.-Nooo, I'm not predicting that GM will be "gone" next year. Its a figure of speech. -Not an apparition "Junior M".

Why does writing "Junior M" both make me think of Bond 007 and chuckle at the same time. Really, Junior M?

02DURAMAX
01-07-2009, 09:25 PM
I said this in another post. The Allison 1000 is a GM spec'd product, on an Allison design, with an Allison name. At the end of the day its not a true Allison product.

Allison will clearly have a say in the end product because they are not going to wish the longterm survival and name of Allison for the GM cash flow stream.

GM may be gone next year but Allison does not want to be the baby thrown out with the bath water.

(P.S.-Nooo, I'm not predicting that GM will be "gone" next year. Its a figure of speech. -Not an apparition "Junior M".

Why does writing "Junior M" both make me think of Bond 007 and chuckle at the same time. Really, Junior M?

GM owned allison untill early last year when they sold it off. So why would it not be an Allison?:confused::hammerhead:

02DURAMAX
01-07-2009, 09:27 PM
on many forums i have read how people say the best truck would be the ford chassis with a cummins engine and the allison transmission. i have had to trucks with the allison and have worked them both very hard in very mountainous terrain. they both have held up great with no problems. as far as hunting for gears i've never experianced this problem, mine have been right where they need to be. i have heard many good things about the aisin as well, just have no experience with them. i am sold on allisons as is about every GM owner i have come across. perhaps some of the ford/chrysler guys may know better about the allison. lol.
good luck,

Same Here I have never Experianced that either..both trucks alwasy do Amazing loaded and empty!

stuvecorp
01-07-2009, 09:29 PM

Junior. Junior M.(in your best Sean Connery voice):laugh:

GravelyNut
01-07-2009, 09:30 PM

I think you need to go back and do a little more reading GR. The tranny in mine is the same 1000 series as used in dump trucks and buses. Where you get the 19K rating is beyond me as mine is rated for over 21K. The name was Detroit Diesel Allison also. Detroit Diesel was a part of GM, just like EMD was. If you looked on the valve covers of older DDs, you'd find General Motors stamped into them. And I did pay a hefty fee for that tranny. $3K above the manual ZF.
Brings superior performance of electronic controls from 6 to 11.8 tonne vehicle GVW. The engine and transmission communicate by a powerful microprocessor providing precise, perfectly timed shifts whatever the road or load conditions. Standard features include lock-up operation in second to fifth range and helical gearing for reduced transmission noise.

02DURAMAX
01-07-2009, 09:35 PM
I think you need to go back and do a little more reading GR. The tranny in mine is the same 1000 series as used in dump trucks and buses. Where you get the 19K rating is beyond me as mine is rated for over 21K. The name was Detroit Diesel Allison also. Detroit Diesel was a part of GM, just like EMD was. If you looked on the valve covers of older DDs, you'd find General Motors stamped into them. And I did pay a hefty fee for that tranny. $3K above the manual ZF.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Also its like 4K now! for the allison.

Gravel Rat
01-07-2009, 09:35 PM
The Allison 1000 has a gross combine weight of 26,000lbs but the gvw on the truck is 19,000lbs.

You will probably see Allison drop the 1000 series transmission if GM goes down.

You better go read the litterature because thats where I found the specs 10 minutes ago.

Gravel Rat
01-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Here you go better read the max gvw for the truck size for the 1000 Series

www.allisontransmission.com/servlet/DownloadFile?Dir=publications/pubs&FileToGet=SA3741EN.pdf

Max gvw for the 1000 series is 19,500lbs the gross combine is 26,000lbs. So you have a truck the size of a 5500 Chevy maxed out with a load on its back its 19,000lbs.

Junior M
01-07-2009, 09:45 PM

Junior. Junior M.(in your best Sean Connery voice):laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: M stands for Mankins, Genius! And I wanted Junior but somebody already took my name :angry:

Apparition? Jeff, you use to many big words.. :confused:

tnmtn
01-07-2009, 09:59 PM
i don't understand what is the problem with a medium duty truck using a transmission made for a medium duty truck. many people tow over the max weights recomended by the factory with no troubles. personally if needed more GVW or GCVW i would have gotten a larger truck. same for towing. i don't believe the medium duty GM's were meant to tow 10 tons any more than the other medium duty trucks were.
good luck,

02DURAMAX
01-07-2009, 10:05 PM

www.allisontransmission.com/servlet/DownloadFile?Dir=publications/pubs&FileToGet=SA3741EN.pdf

Max gvw for the 1000 series is 19,500lbs the gross combine is 26,000lbs. So you have a truck the size of a 5500 Chevy maxed out with a load on its back its 19,000lbs.

They only use the allison 1000 on the Bus style C4500s

GravelyNut
01-07-2009, 10:16 PM

Max gvw for the 1000 series is 19,500lbs the gross combine is 26,000lbs. So you have a truck the size of a 5500 Chevy maxed out with a load on its back its 19,000lbs.Nope, add a 7K trailer to that 5500 and it still is rated at 26K. 19K for the truck and 7K for the trailer going across the scales still equates to 26K rated.

Note also GR that that is a 6-speed and not the 5-speed T-1000 as is in mine. The 6-speed adds 6th gear that is a .61 OD while my 5-speed stops at the .75 OD. 4th gear is .81 OD. 3rd gear was 1.00 to 1.00. Makes a difference in capacity. Also the max input HP on the 5-speed was higher with a higher torque rating too. It came with the 2.05 Stall Ratio pump also.

Plus if you look at the MH series, you'll see it rated at 22K GVW and still the 26K GCWR.

jefftb
01-07-2009, 10:16 PM
:laugh: :laugh: M stands for Mankins, Genius! And I wanted Junior but somebody already took my name :angry:

Apparition? Jeff, you use to many big words.. :confused:

Yarrr, genius. Yeah, I think we understood what the Junior and "M" represents.

Since your school does not require uniforms I have taken it upon my self to expand your vocabulary to a level commensurate with your education level. Gee, there's another one......Big word that is.:laugh:

nosparkplugs
01-07-2009, 10:22 PM
4K for the stock Allison 1000. It costs more than 4K to rebuild one now. About 90% of all the diesel automatic transmission trouble is in the oem torque converter. On average a stock stamped metal oem torque converter runs $250-$400 wholesale, the high priced torque converts are billet steel, single or triple clutch/disc up to $500- $1900. I have learned over the years cost does equal quality with transmissions. You can save money buy doing the part sourcing yourself, but all truck transmissions behind the diesels are expensive.

GravelyNut
01-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Also its like 4K now! for the allison.Bet your 2002 Allison T-1000 is a 5-speed also. How many miles did you have on yours when you had to have the flex plate replaced? Mine had less than 30K miles. Everybody knows mine has the Allison by the gear whine. :cool2:

Junior M
01-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Yarrr, genius. Yeah, I think we understood what the Junior and "M" represents.

Since your school does not require uniforms I have taken it upon my self to expand your vocabulary to a level commensurate with your education level. Gee, there's another one......Big word that is.:laugh:
I meant I wanted just Junior but somebody already has that..

Them big words you use really get me ;) :confused:

GravelyNut
01-07-2009, 10:31 PM
4K for the stock Allison 1000. It costs more than 4K to rebuild one now. About 90% of all the diesel automatic transmission trouble is in the oem torque converter. On average a stock stamped metal oem torque converter runs $250-$400 wholesale, the high priced torque converts are billet steel, single or triple clutch/disc up to $500- $1900. I have learned over the years cost does equal quality with transmissions. You can save money buy doing the part sourcing yourself, but all truck transmissions behind the diesels are expensive. Amen to the billet pumps. Mine that went in at GM's expense was something like $850 5 years ago.

Other thing you have to remember with the older T-1000s is what they weigh. Not all shops have tranny lifts that can handle a 1000lb tranny. Pays to go to a Commercial truck dealer/Service Dept, except for the costs.

jefftb
01-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Now, if you'll just look them up.....Junior M :hammerhead::cry:

Junior M
01-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Now, if you'll just look them up.....Junior M :hammerhead::cry:
Nah, I'll just stay dumbfounded (I know some big words :cool2:) Although I might look up the last one tomorrow when I am in class, being bored..

jefftb
01-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Nah, I'll just stay dumbfounded (I know some big words :cool2:) Although I might look up the last one tomorrow when I am in class, being bored..

I'll save you the lookup...

Commensurate-equal to or the same extent as, or proportional.... as in "if your in the 11th grade your vocabulary capacity should be commensurate with your grade level".

Simple terms... you better not be in the 11th grade and have a 7th graders vocabulary.

Junior M
01-07-2009, 10:49 PM
I'll save you the lookup...

Commensurate-equal to or the same extent as, or proportional.... as in "if your in the 11th grade your vocabulary capacity should be commensurate with your grade level".

Simple terms... you better not be in the 11th grade and have a 7th graders vocabulary.
Oh, thanks, now I have nothing to waste my time on in class tomorrow.. :laugh: I learn something new everyday, thanks to that, I learned something new today! :laugh:

jefftb
01-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Oh, thanks, now I have nothing to waste my time on in class tomorrow.. :laugh: I learn something new everyday, thanks to that, I learned something new today! :laugh:

I can type you a list......:rolleyes::weightlifter::laugh:

TXNSLighting
01-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Ive never had an issue with my allison searching for gears. It always seems to know where it needs to be. Some times with really heavy loads it can seem to be confused but figures it out pretty quick.

In all hosty i dont know if its a "real" Allison or not, as long as it gets the job done for me i dont care. And right now its leaking all over the driveway so i got kicked to the street! :cry:

02DURAMAX
01-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Bet your 2002 Allison T-1000 is a 5-speed also. How many miles did you have on yours when you had to have the flex plate replaced? Mine had less than 30K miles. Everybody knows mine has the Allison by the gear whine. :cool2:

My trans has never had any problems and have never been at teh dealer for a trans fix of any kind.

All I have done is trans oil changes.

Mine has 106,000 Miles!:weightlifter:

02DURAMAX
01-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Ive never had an issue with my allison searching for gears. It always seems to know where it needs to be. Some times with really heavy loads it can seem to be confused but figures it out pretty quick.

In all hosty i dont know if its a "real" Allison or not, as long as it gets the job done for me i dont care. And right now its leaking all over the driveway so i got kicked to the street! :cry:

Cooler Lines the new ones have that problem!!:dizzy:

TXNSLighting
01-07-2009, 11:30 PM
Cooler Lines the new ones have that problem!!:dizzy:

I figured that was the problem, just have no time to be without it! :hammerhead::hammerhead:

I want to trade this thing off so bad..

duke12
01-07-2009, 11:55 PM
All I can say is that my 2005 durmaxy is a beast.I kid you not, I have a 8 foot box and Ive hauled 5-6 yards of hard paccked clay. And that truck shifted even better than empty!!To me its seems these trucks like it when you beat the sh@# of them.
I'll be honest, My next truck is going to be another GMC.
Only problem I have is I have to replace the braks at 35000 miles.

westcoh
01-08-2009, 12:38 AM
I think those transmission cooler lines have been a problem for quite a few years now. It's especially a problem in colder climates in the winter, I know around here the majority of the people I know with the Duramax/Allison have had the problem once it starts getting cold out. My 05 had the problem last winter so I had all the lines replaced with what was supposed to be an updated version. Wouldn't you know it last week I noticed they're leaking again. GM deserves to be slapped in the back of the head for the cheap piss-poor design of them. I'm looking for an aftermarket solution to the problem now, and I won't ever be relying on GM getting it right again.

Aside from all that, I think the Allison transmission is great, one of the main reasons I went with Chevy at the time.

02DURAMAX
01-08-2009, 12:39 AM
I figured that was the problem, just have no time to be without it! :hammerhead::hammerhead:

I want to trade this thing off so bad..

I would buy it from you but its a 2wd!!!

TXNSLighting
01-08-2009, 01:07 AM
I would buy it from you but its a 2wd!!!

I wish you would, i could put 4x4 stickers on it for you!

hosejockey2002
01-08-2009, 01:26 AM
and who said the C4500 and C5500 have a 1000?

they have the 2000/2400 Series Allisons NOT the 1000's!!

so they are not maxed out and a 1000 allison is rated for 26,000Lbs

Well, yes and no. The 4500 and 5500 are equipped with the 1000 series auto as the "standard" automatic. The 2350 series Allison is available on these models to increase towing capacity, as the 1000 is limited to 26,000 GCWR.

02DURAMAX
01-08-2009, 06:38 AM
Well, yes and no. The 4500 and 5500 are equipped with the 1000 series auto as the "standard" automatic. The 2350 series Allison is available on these models to increase towing capacity, as the 1000 is limited to 26,000 GCWR.

Not standered around here!

I have yet to see one with a 1000.

02DURAMAX
01-08-2009, 06:40 AM
I wish you would, i could put 4x4 stickers on it for you!

My brother Is looking for your exact same truck but 4X4!

It would of been sold aready if it was!

GravelyNut
01-08-2009, 08:17 AM
My trans has never had any problems and have never been at teh dealer for a trans fix of any kind.

All I have done is trans oil changes.

Mine has 106,000 Miles!:weightlifter:Must have corrected the problem on the assembly line by the time yours was built. 01s had a recall because they failed to torque the bolts down correctly on the flex plates which lead to flex plate failures and pump failures from cracking. Mine now has 80K+ which have been trouble free since the repair. Took a month for the repair as it was a 2 week wait for parts for each vehicle that needed done and there was an 01 DM/Allison dually that failed the week before mine started having problems.

TXNSLighting
01-08-2009, 11:43 AM
My brother Is looking for your exact same truck but 4X4!

It would of been sold aready if it was!

Now youre just teasing me...

Junior M
01-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Since yall are talking about 4x4, Ryan, have you seen the kit you can buy to make Chevy's a straight front axle and 4x4? We are thinking of doing it to mine, since we cant get out from under the stupid thing..

02DURAMAX
01-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Since yall are talking about 4x4, Ryan, have you seen the kit you can buy to make Chevy's a straight front axle and 4x4? We are thinking of doing it to mine, since we cant get out from under the stupid thing..

Its not worth it.

&& It will have to be lifted

Junior M
01-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Its not worth it.

&& It will have to be lifted
Really? I didnt see anything about that, and we dont want to sell the truck fro 4,000 which is what it is supposedly worth, and we like the truck, well I do, but our biggest problem isnt being 4x4 and its an HD so it already sits up like a 4x4..

02DURAMAX
01-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Really? I didnt see anything about that, and we dont want to sell the truck fro 4,000 which is what it is supposedly worth, and we like the truck, well I do, but our biggest problem isnt being 4x4 and its an HD so it already sits up like a 4x4..

did you guys buy it new?

Junior M
01-09-2009, 12:15 PM
did you guys buy it new?
No, we bought it used with 70,000miles on it.. why?

02DURAMAX
01-09-2009, 02:34 PM
No, we bought it used with 70,000miles on it.. why?

was ganna say why didnt you buy it 4x4.

& why didnt you guys look for a 4x4?

Junior M
01-09-2009, 02:47 PM
was ganna say why didnt you buy it 4x4.

& why didnt you guys look for a 4x4?
Cause this truck was originally my moms truck, and then my parents ended up selling my Dads old 1500 Dodge, to get out from under the payment, and my Dad got this truck. And when they bought the Chevy, they didnt think we would ever have the need for a 4x4 truck, and they were looking for a 4x4 truck because a 4x4 truck looks better than a 2x4 truck and this truck looks just like a 4x4..

And Dad doesnt want to sell this truck for $5,000 or $6,000, he said if he was to sell it for that cheap it would be to me, and I want a 4x4 truck for hunting...

02DURAMAX
01-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Cause this truck was originally my moms truck, and then my parents ended up selling my Dads old 1500 Dodge, to get out from under the payment, and my Dad got this truck. And when they bought the Chevy, they didnt think we would ever have the need for a 4x4 truck, and they were looking for a 4x4 truck because a 4x4 truck looks better than a 2x4 truck and this truck looks just like a 4x4..

And Dad doesnt want to sell this truck for $5,000 or $6,000, he said if he was to sell it for that cheap it would be to me, and I want a 4x4 truck for hunting...

you can sell it for more than that!

How many Miles?

Does it have the 6.0 or 8.1?

Junior M
01-10-2009, 12:34 PM
you can sell it for more than that!

How many Miles?

Does it have the 6.0 or 8.1?
Nobody down here wants a gas 3/4 ton, and its a 6.0. Dad wants a 1ton Dodge and everytime we take it up there when they have a decent used 1ton, they only offered him $6,000. Another place offered him $5,500 for it, and its not beat up, its got a couple little dints, and only a couple scratches, for an 02 thats been worked out of for most of its life, its really clean imo..

TMlawncare
01-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Now, a little on the Aisin. I have an 2007 Isuzu NPR with the Aisen behind it and yes it is an extremely rugged transmission. They are designed to go over 300,000 miles before a rebuild. I read in an earlier post that they are suppossed to shift smoother then the Allison. I almost fell over. The Aisin atleast in the Npr shifts like you are get punched in the face. Yes it shifts that hard. Another thing is they shift extremely quick. You can tell that they want to get in the highest gear quickly for economy reasons. When I first drove mine off the showroom floor I thought it was defective. After driving a few others, its just the way they are. I really don't mind it anymore because it is what it is, a heavy duty commercial transmission. Smoother then the Allison, I guess I will have to test drive one the new Dodge trucks. I know its a different tranny, however the Aisin's do have a reputation and smooth isn't it.

02DURAMAX
01-12-2009, 07:22 AM
Nobody down here wants a gas 3/4 ton, and its a 6.0. Dad wants a 1ton Dodge and everytime we take it up there when they have a decent used 1ton, they only offered him $6,000. Another place offered him $5,500 for it, and its not beat up, its got a couple little dints, and only a couple scratches, for an 02 thats been worked out of for most of its life, its really clean imo..

put it on ebay or on here and it will sell for more than that!

CF1128
02-12-2009, 08:23 PM
At least in the North East, but I believe nationally, the "Allison 1000 series with 4th Generation Electronic Controls are standard equipment" on Kodiak C4500 and C5500 starting in 2006.
Right from G.M.
*trucewhiteflag*

mjealey
02-12-2009, 11:03 PM
All right guys, I am completely confused after reading this post. I have a 2004 2500HD with the Duramax. How can I figure out exactly which transmission is in my truck?

TXNSLighting
02-12-2009, 11:19 PM
all duramaxs have the allison...How is that confusing?

mjealey
02-12-2009, 11:29 PM
What I meant was which Allison. I knew I had the Allison, but they were talking about which series of the Allison and then 5-speed or 6-speed transmissions and I wasn't sure and started second guessing. All I know is that I have not had my truck very long, but I love the Allison. It is very smooth and shifts right where it should while I am towing. I know there is people out there that have had problems with them, but most of the people around here love them and swears by them.

TXNSLighting
02-12-2009, 11:57 PM
O! you have the 5 speed. Only the 06+ LLY/LBZ and up have the 6 speed. You will also know you have a 6 speed when you have the manual taps on your gear shift.

mjealey
02-13-2009, 12:03 AM
Thanks, I went back and read again and it all made more sense the second time.

One other question, I am coming up on a transmission service here in a few thousand miles, should I go the dealer and have them replace the fluid and filter with GM products or is there something better out there? I know a lot of people speak highly of Amsoil on here. What screw on filter does everybody run? Any help would be much appreciated.

TXNSLighting
02-13-2009, 12:10 AM
Dont know there, I doubt you would want to go to the dealer. theyre most likely the most expensive. Im sure theres some amsoil crap..ha! j/k

mjealey
02-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Yeah, I am not being negative at all, but if oil is even mentioned on any forum within 5 minutes, there is someone chiming in pitching Amsoil. I have heard good things about it though. I am tempted to try it now because it is all over every thread!!! Where's Hoyt Matthew at, I know he will be all over me if he sees this!!!

Looking Good Lawn Service
02-13-2009, 12:22 AM
Detroit Diesel and Allison auto have not been owned by GM for years,....they are and have been owned my Damlier Benz, aka....freightliner, western star, sterling, american lafrance, thomas buses, ect...and the list prob goes on...that is why International no longer puts DDS60 in their trucks, duh, its from a competitor now,lol Been so since international came out with the new cabs on the 9000 series and went to the "i" series. However, they still use the allison and it is terribly expensive, like 15K extra,lol, same with autoshifts

lawn king
02-13-2009, 09:57 AM
I have the aisin 3 speed in my 2003 npr and the allison in my 2008 silverado. Both trannys have endured serious duty including plowing snow. Both trannys have been great. The allison is very versatile with the tow haul mode and the manual shifting features, it's quiet, smooth and finds its gear and stays there. I have no issues with constant gear searching at all? My aisin is a no frills, basic 3 speed overdrive. Im sure the new aisin 6 speed is very nice. I got a close look at the new isuzu cabovers at the N E grows show last week. They have come a long way in the past 6 years, more HP, more comfortable interior, 6 speed trannys and the ride is much better. I would buy another cabover, no question. The weak link in these trucks without a doubt is their wiring!

AmsoilPower
02-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I am not being negative at all, but if oil is even mentioned on any forum within 5 minutes, there is someone chiming in pitching Amsoil. I have heard good things about it though. I am tempted to try it now because it is all over every thread!!! Where's Hoyt Matthew at, I know he will be all over me if he sees this!!!

Here I am!!!! I promise I won't be all over you!!! If someone wants something, they know how to find me.

I am happy to hear you are seeing the Amsoil name alot and hearing good things about it.:clapping::clapping:

mjealey
02-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Hoyt, I got a transmission service coming due this summer. I will come find you!!!