PDA

View Full Version : Mycorrhizal spores float in water solution?

Mr. Nice
01-07-2009, 08:19 PM
I was wondering if anybody out there has experienced or observed that when commercial mycorrhizal products consisting of common endo ecto blends on powdered carriers are put into solution that a majority of these spores will float to the surface and the carrier will sink once agitated and left to settle?

These are some picture's I took , you can see the large circular spores floating that i believe to be some of the glomus family species possibly?, I noticed none at lower depths in solution except smaller "possible" spores of unknown type.

In some of the pictures it may look like there are large clear spores too, but it is the way the light is refracting of smaller deeper materials that is causing that effect as I recall.

Any feed back would be much appreciated.

treegal1
01-07-2009, 09:07 PM
yes they float they are dry to start= more air than water. most of the time we use a myco powder we let them set in water over the days before we use them 24 hours or so. also what is the water got in it to start with??? more dense water = better float like dead sea water..........

treegal1
01-07-2009, 09:14 PM
most spores I thought were low water to start with????? maybe tim or kiril will help here...............

Mr. Nice
01-07-2009, 09:35 PM
they use sugar water for a gradient i think, more dense, you where right the first time.
thanks for the tip about soaking

Mr. Nice
01-07-2009, 09:37 PM
O yah..... i only used RO water

ICT Bill
01-07-2009, 09:56 PM
cool pictures how did you do that? Is that a microscope?

Most dry inoculums have a clay base, the clay will sink to the bottom for sure

Kiril
01-08-2009, 12:22 AM
most spores I thought were low water to start with????? maybe tim or kiril will help here...............

I think that is a safe bet (given moisture is a germination requirement), but I can dig through my archive if you want.

treegal1
01-08-2009, 07:43 AM
it also would appear to me that that is a cotton seed meal base. is that myco from terranova or O labs??

DUSTYCEDAR
01-08-2009, 11:03 AM
That is some cool pics