PDA

View Full Version : Dodge/Sterling 4500/5500 sales?

stuvecorp
01-07-2009, 09:56 PM
I don't know how they are selling in other areas but have only seen one Dodge 4500 in town and with Sterling shutting down, how are these trucks selling? I really like the specs and think the truck could be good and kinda expected to see more of them out there. What is holding them back? Is it dealers not trying, pricing, something else? What do you think?

JosephLawnCare
01-07-2009, 10:01 PM
there's a lot of em around here. Mostly fitted with electical bodys with a man bucket/boom. Not too many landscapers yet. I'm sure they'll catch on, nobody wants a 50k truck at the moment. I know I don't

meets1
01-07-2009, 10:02 PM
My area is all chevy/ford. There is one here but dodge dealers by me (neighbor owns a dealership ) there giving trucks away and still no one buying. There offering a mega cab 08 (many in stock yet) diesel, no leather or other whistles for $30K. He is also a ford dealership and is outselling the dodges 5 to 1.

Maybe to new yet but hard market to be in right now.

Junior M
01-07-2009, 10:03 PM
I've seen 4 around here, 2 have been ambulances, and one was a service truck and one was a bucket truck.

My great cousin runs a Dodge dealer in WV, and he has sold quite a few, mostly dump bodies..

I would assume there not selling because of Ford holding such a big share of the market in the 4500/5500 market. After all they do sell the most diesel trucks per year. And I would assume most people dont think of Dodge when they go to buy this size of truck because you never see them all you see is Ford..

stuvecorp
01-07-2009, 10:12 PM
I talked to the local Dodge dealer and they weren't really too eager and the Sterling dealer was way more than a Ford, was wondering if that attitude was common. Now I was wondering if they are more receptive to deal? What's going to happen with the Sterling Bullets? Are they going to deal on them?

jefftb
01-07-2009, 10:12 PM
I think I would take the Dodge 5500 over the Ford 550. I would take a Ford 450 with 4.88 over the Dodge 4500 in all likelihood.

I think Dodge makes the best improvement in the 45**/55** up category truck offerings.

jefftb
01-07-2009, 10:14 PM
I talked to the local Dodge dealer and they weren't really too eager and the Sterling dealer was way more than a Ford, was wondering if that attitude was common. Now I was wondering if they are more receptive to deal? What's going to happen with the Sterling Bullets? Are they going to deal on them?

They'll be sitting if they don't. I can truthfully say that since the Bullet intro I have not witnessed one in my travels through Tennessee, North Georgia, and Western NC for work.

Hmmm, now maybe that's why they are being 86'd

02DURAMAX
01-07-2009, 10:16 PM
There are alot in my area.

TXNSLighting
01-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Ive only seen a handful of 4500/5500's around here. Seen 2 sterlings. Theres hundreds of thousands of Ford and chevy 450/4500+.

stuvecorp
01-07-2009, 10:35 PM
I was all fired up but it just didn't seem to gain traction. I thought they would do good because of Ford's new motor reputation but maybe got stopped because of the economy. I would go for a Bullet 5500 if one was cheap.

westcoh
01-07-2009, 11:34 PM
I know around here I've only seen a handful of the dodge 4500's on the road. A couple months back in the newspaper a dodge dealer had a 4500 cab and chassis for sale for only a thousand dollars more than a 3500 with a flatdeck, both brand new trucks. I'm not a dodge guy at all but if I was looking for a new truck I definitely woulda been on that deal.

Gravel Rat
01-07-2009, 11:54 PM
The 4500 and 5500 series is going aswell as a lead balloon. The Ford and Sterling dealer in B.C. was carrying the Bullets and got rid of all the Fords seeing as the Bullets didn't sell the Fords are all back.

Dodge has left a sour taste in allot of peoples mouths nobody wants them. When your spending 40-50 grand on a truck your going to haul heavy loads on you want something proven. The 4500 and 5500 isn't proven and Dodge cab and chassis were never anygood. Too many bad horror stories of bent frames and under sprung suspensions from the past scare people away.

Ford and Chev have proven themselves in the cab and chassis market all the way back from the 70s. The Ford and Chev have been building reliable cab and chassis trucks for decades.

I looked at a 5500 Bullet a cab and chassis was parked in a lot so I went and looked. There is lots of little things that are cheesy and cheap. The spring hangers are not built very well. The overload springs are not designed well they are almost useless. The frame behind the cab is poorly designed I don't know why they made it that way. I forget what the front suspension looked like but if its still the 4 link its too many bushings that wear out.

I'am surprised the Bullets are not selling they are 10 grand cheaper than the Fords.

Junior M
01-08-2009, 07:32 AM
The 4500 and 5500 series is going aswell as a lead balloon. The Ford and Sterling dealer in B.C. was carrying the Bullets and got rid of all the Fords seeing as the Bullets didn't sell the Fords are all back.

Dodge has left a sour taste in allot of peoples mouths nobody wants them. When your spending 40-50 grand on a truck your going to haul heavy loads on you want something proven. The 4500 and 5500 isn't proven and Dodge cab and chassis were never anygood. Too many bad horror stories of bent frames and under sprung suspensions from the past scare people away.

Ford and Chev have proven themselves in the cab and chassis market all the way back from the 70s. The Ford and Chev have been building reliable cab and chassis trucks for decades.

I looked at a 5500 Bullet a cab and chassis was parked in a lot so I went and looked. There is lots of little things that are cheesy and cheap. The spring hangers are not built very well. The overload springs are not designed well they are almost useless. The frame behind the cab is poorly designed I don't know why they made it that way. I forget what the front suspension looked like but if its still the 4 link its too many bushings that wear out.

I'am surprised the Bullets are not selling they are 10 grand cheaper than the Fords.
GR, all these horendous frame bent stories you keep saying, I've never heard of that, and Dad has never had that problem with 8 c&c's at one time, and he consistentally hauled a 21,000lbs directional drill with his 3500 Dodge p/u and two of the c&c's, and never any frame troubles. He's hauled the 773 loader, 331 mini ex, and two transformers on the goosenecks behind the trucks all the time, and he never had frame trouble.

It seems you guys have there have unique problems of your own. And it sounds like those guys had Dodges from the 80's and had bad luck with them back then, and now wont even look at a Dodge..

Gravel Rat
01-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Tow trucks had the worst problems the frame would snap and crack behind the cab. The other trucks would break behind the cab and the frame hump would crack. The trucks always had too light springs the trucks would drag azz with any kind of load.

There hasn't been a Dodge cab and chassis truck used for a Pick up and delivery flatbed or tow truck for decades. Dodge got a reputation for a poorly built truck and its stuck with them for a long time.

Swampy
01-09-2009, 11:06 AM
GR maybe back then they had frame problems but the new Dodge's have the highest strength frame over ford, GM, and yota.

Junior M
01-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Tow trucks had the worst problems the frame would snap and crack behind the cab. The other trucks would break behind the cab and the frame hump would crack. The trucks always had too light springs the trucks would drag azz with any kind of load.

There hasn't been a Dodge cab and chassis truck used for a Pick up and delivery flatbed or tow truck for decades. Dodge got a reputation for a poorly built truck and its stuck with them for a long time.
Are you serious? Would drag with any load? Thats total BS, that maybe true for the early 90's and before that Dodges, but from 95 on it up, never a problem, Dad put a 500 gallon water tank on the bed of one and it wouldnt sag a bit with a trailer with a 331 on it and it wouldnt sag enough to really notice. He had one with a utility body full of tools, transfer tank, air compressor and it wouldnt sag..

Panhead
01-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Slowly, everybody around here and up north from me are replacing there Ford/Chevy trucks for the Dodge's.

I didn't know if you guys knew but Sterling Trucks is a subsidiary of DaimlerChrysler.

http://blogs.dieselpowermag.com/6203166/diesel-news/sterling-trucks-to-sell-version-of-dodge-ram/index.html

Gravel Rat
01-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Yes the older Dodges were worse the ones from say 85 to 93 when the square boxy body was used. The 94 and up the springs are not much better. The trucks in the years from 94-97 the front spring buckets would tear off the frame.

My brothers 94 Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton 4x4 has 1000lbs worth of tools on it all year round. The truck is almost loaded with that. I don't like driving the truck it wallows all over the road. I'am used to driving a F-450 everyday.

People that are in the pick up and delivery service know Dodge trucks are no good why do you think the 4500-5500 series isn't doing so well.

If your a P+D operator you make your living with the truck its your only source of income. You can't fool around so you don't take your chance on a unproven truck. Ford and Chev chassis have been proven for decades and Dodge has not. Just the way it is you Dodge lovers they just don't stand up to daily use.

A landscaper or somebody that pulls a trailer couple times a week doesn't compare to a P+D truck that hauls loads 8 hours a day 5-6 days a week 365 days a year. The loads for a 1 to 2 ton truck range from 1000lbs to 8000lbs. A friend of mine that used to do P+D put over 6000lb loads on his Chevy some I loaded were 8000lbs. These trucks don't run a useless 8 foot bed a P+D truck uses a 12x8 or 14x8 flatdeck. The F-550 I used to run putting 8000 pounds on it was no big deal hell I had 12,000lbs on it.

The F-550 we used to put the 7000lb bobcat mini on it and go deliver it to a jobsite.

My 03 F-450 I have some ballast on my truck for traction it is a 3400lb chunk of lead in a steel box. It is 3 feet wide 4 feet long and 3 feet tall it is sitting right over the rear axle of the truck. I scaled the truck the other day its 100lb way from grossing 13,000lbs. You really don't notice it powerwise and handling. Going down the hills you know its there.

You guys have to keep in mind I have been loading and unloading freight off of trucks since I was 14 when I started running forklifts for my familly. So I know what what a truck can handle and what you can't put on a truck.

Oh ya Sterling is going to be no longer and Dodge isn't controlled by Daimler anymore. So when Sterling does shut down completely there will be no more Bullets made under the Sterling badge. As for Dodge dealers working on a 4500-5500 truck good luck. Most Dodge dealers can't even work on a 3500 dually because they don't have the capacity in there lifts. Most Dodge dealers have no diesel mechanics the ones they do have no clue.

There is a reason why the Sterling Bullets are selling so cheap because the 2008 model year is the last year. Right now I can get a 2008 4500 2wd with a 84 inch cab axle for 36,000 that is 10 grand less than what I can get a F-450 with the same wheelbase. The Freighliner dealers will work on the Bullets but I don't think a Dodge dealer will.

Junior M
01-09-2009, 02:20 PM
I dont know what your talking about being able to handle a load, maybe the 3/4 ton trucks, he only had one problem the whole time, and one of his guys popped the clutch with the drill behind it, torqued the drivetrain so bad it dropped out and put a whole in the transfer case, he never had any other problem than that. This is the one thing I dont agree with GR, I usually dont argue with ya, but this is just BS, imo..

And Dad didnt just pull a trailer a couple times a week, the trucks always had a trailer behind them unless they were heading in to town for something, or it was just an off day, or they just left the trailer and hoe at the job. But there wasnt a day that those trucks didnt have some kind of trailer behind them...

shade tree landscaping
01-09-2009, 02:24 PM
only sterlings I have seen around here in central NJ were on the dealers lot, and they are about 35-45min away. Mostley Ford F350's and higher and Isuzu NPRs around here

stuvecorp
01-11-2009, 01:45 AM
Interesting, they just don't seem to get any love. I still would like a pimped out black 5500 if I find one.:)

Swampy
02-02-2009, 01:31 AM
Interesting, they just don't seem to get any love. I still would like a pimped out black 5500 if I find one.:)

You will.

Sorry for bringing up a old thread but my computer was broken. Well at the CONEX trade show (Jan 28th and 29th) I ran into Monroe Truck the Sterling is no more. Frieghtliner bought Sterling from Chrysler just to shut them down. That was the entire point why Sterling is no more. For the current Sterling owners the US still has in effect that a manufacture or someone that buys a manufacture still must produce and stock parts for 10 years, in about 7 years start looking at getting rid of those old Sterlings. But what I get from Monroe that in the future that Sterling and Frieghtliner truck parts will be interchangable as the staff of Sterling is now in line with Frieghtliner, I really don't get it but that is his words. As for the Bullet it is not truely dead Frieghtliner is jumping into the C&C models and the current Bullet will be a Frieghtliner Bullet instead of a Sterling Bullet around late 2010/2011, its going to be the same as the Sterling bullet with a Dodge cab and frame for 3500, 4500, and 5500 with a improved ISB Cummins/Transmission combo with a new rearend on 19.5 wheels down the road. Along with a 6500, 7500, and 8500 class with a choice of a Cummins, Mercades, and another engine that I don't remember off the top of my head. All those three have a air brake option along with a bunch of other opitions. After taking on Sterling, Freightliner is supposed to compete with Peterbilt and International both in the commerical truck industry but producing 1ton to 2ton class as well in the Municapal truck as well. There is a rumor as of right now that a Cab over from Freightliner backed by Mercades will make a show soon as well.

So the Bullet isn't dead. Its both companies of a Auto manufacture and a Truck manufacture talking together. Something that Ford and GM should do if they want to do to survive in the Commerical Truck industry. Note on a personal note GM should do the same and team up with Mack or Peterbilt but Ford will survive on their own its just Ford's nature to be independant which I respect them for it.

I've seen those old scouts from International but I want to see a 1 ton Peterbilt as Peterbilt still doesn't have a engine on its own, it might be cool. :cool2: or a Ford built by Peterbilt since both want to be independent from the rest.

stuvecorp
02-02-2009, 02:07 AM
I have found some out there but most are spec'ed basic work truck style. I talked to one dealer but they were still close to 40 and didn't seem to interested in selling one. I want one but will probably hold off for awhile.

Why don't they have aluminum wheels available? Ford and GM have them and it makes the truck look nice and the weight savings is a bonus.

Swampy
02-02-2009, 03:52 AM
I have found some out there but most are spec'ed basic work truck style. I talked to one dealer but they were still close to 40 and didn't seem to interested in selling one. I want one but will probably hold off for awhile.

Why don't they have aluminum wheels available? Ford and GM have them and it makes the truck look nice and the weight savings is a bonus.

When you have the Aluminum wheels here in WI the seem to leak from the bead a lot faster with our colder temps. If you want Aluminum wheels I can look into the junk yards or down south for you, I got some family in the auto world.

It might look cool but if you got 6 flat tires, no story that sucks dude.

bobcat_ron
02-02-2009, 10:01 AM
I looked at a Dodge 4500 that was parked next to my F450, their frames sure are small, my frame above the rear axle was at least 2" higher than the Dodge.

nosparkplugs
02-02-2009, 11:05 AM
I test drove a Dodge 5500 Chassis quad cab Laramie, loaded. 6 speed manual 4.33 gears. Even the most Anti-Dodge critics in the Auto industry have praised the Dodge 4500/550. Personally the Interior of the 5500 was a improvement for me it was luxury status thats for sure it had all the bells & whistles.

Those comparing the older Dodge 3500's to these new 4500/5500"s STOP their totally different frames. Those questioning the Dodge quality are Ford diehard; what Ford guys wants a new contender on the block to deal with.

If Dodge got anything out the of the Mercedes-benz relationship was new more reliable OEM transmissions. This is why Dodge is now entering the 4500/5500 market.

If you don't like Dodge, thats fine stick with your Ford or Gm's. To say Dodge is not a contender would be a under estimate. Dodge has a long time to go before their 4500/5500 truck sales will catch Ford or GM; whether you see them on the road depends on the area of the country.

I know for a fact you can Get a Dodge or Ford 4500 chassis cab for under 45K. The Dodge 4500/5500 entry into the market, and the economy has pulled all 4500/5500 truck price's down. Now is the time to buy

stuvecorp
02-02-2009, 11:53 AM
When you have the Aluminum wheels here in WI the seem to leak from the bead a lot faster with our colder temps. If you want Aluminum wheels I can look into the junk yards or down south for you, I got some family in the auto world.

It might look cool but if you got 6 flat tires, no story that sucks dude.

Never thought about that, would still want some.:hammerhead: I would just have to check air pressure more I guess. I hate the steel and the simulators just look cheesy.

The one cool feature is the exhaust brake and six speed transmission. I still come back to the feeling that the dealers dropped the ball with these trucks.

TXNSLighting
02-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Did your 4500 deal fall through NSP??

nosparkplugs
02-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Did your 4500 deal fall through NSP??

Still on the Table, I'm going to rebuild my 47RE first, I don't want to leave anything on the table for the dealer to haggle me down on the 02 Dodge Cummins, I'm trading in on this new Dodge 4500. I always follow through on my statments, I am patient, Just like I said I would snag the AOS diesel:laugh:

I am shooting for the end of Feburary or early March Thumbs Up. I suspect the economy will keep truck price's low, only if California gets to set their own emission standards will their be a shortage of trucks; becuase everyone will want to purchase new to be "grandfathered" in :laugh:

Like I said we thought these new Tier III diesel emission standards were tough:dizzy:, If California gets its way to set it's own State emission standards they will be 25% tougher than current standards on these new DPF diesel trucks. Basically these NEW Blue-Tec DPF diesels would be illegal in California:laugh:

Swampy
02-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Never thought about that, would still want some.:hammerhead: I would just have to check air pressure more I guess. I hate the steel and the simulators just look cheesy.

The one cool feature is the exhaust brake and six speed transmission. I still come back to the feeling that the dealers dropped the ball with these trucks.

You can paint the steel rims. Below is a picture of the old SuperDuty with her messed up green metal flake paint and gold steel rims.
http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr239/SwampyWI/STA70169.jpg

TXNSLighting
02-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Still on the Table, I'm going to rebuild my 47RE first, I don't want to leave anything on the table for the dealer to haggle me down on the 02 Dodge Cummins, I'm trading in on this new Dodge 4500. I always follow through on my statments, I am patient, Just like I said I would snag the AOS diesel:laugh:

I am shooting for the end of Feburary or early March Thumbs Up. I suspect the economy will keep truck price's low, only if California gets to set their own emission standards will their be a shortage of trucks; becuase everyone will want to purchase new to be "grandfathered" in :laugh:

Like I said we thought these new Tier III diesel emission standards were tough:dizzy:, If California gets its way to set it's own State emission standards they will be 25% tougher than current standards on these new DPF diesel trucks. Basically these NEW Blue-Tec DPF diesels would be illegal in California:laugh:

If they actually offered you 22,500 for that truck you better hurry before they realize their mistake. They will lose their ass if they give you that much. I wouldnt be waiting, but thats just me.

nosparkplugs
02-02-2009, 07:53 PM
If they actually offered you 22,500 for that truck you better hurry before they realize their mistake. They will lose their ass if they give you that much. I wouldnt be waiting, but thats just me.

I have worked with this Dealer before,and they have fixed the vehicle invoice to reflect what i needed on a trade in to get the note where I need it. Folks are always talking about that "special dealer treatment" on Lawnsite:dizzy: I get none with my equipment purchase's:nono:, but my car & truck dealer makes deals happen for me.

TXNSLighting
02-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Alright...Well either way! come on now!

nosparkplugs
02-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Alright...Well either way! come on now!

you just want to rag on me when I buy it:laugh:

TXNSLighting
02-02-2009, 11:45 PM
Yeh cuz i know youre going to say i bought it, then you wont post pics!! :laugh::laugh:

mag360
02-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Since when do you two get along:laugh:

TXNSLighting
02-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Ha! You havent been around much huh? We came to an understanding...:laugh:

meets1
02-04-2009, 09:09 AM
so isn't sterling stopping truck production and sales by 2010?

stuvecorp
02-04-2009, 11:17 PM
so isn't sterling stopping truck production and sales by 2010?

The way I understood it, they are done like now.

meets1
02-04-2009, 11:32 PM
That is what chevy/gmc should do. Well maybe.............

TXNSLighting
02-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Why? GM and Ford dominate that market.

Swampy
02-05-2009, 01:27 AM
I don't think so. Ford and GM lost the municpal market when the L8000 and the Top Kick left production.

Gravel Rat
02-05-2009, 03:25 AM
Soon as Ford let go of the Louisville trucks they lost allot of the medium duty truck sales. Nobody buys F-650 and F-750 trucks they are a medium duty truck with a P/U cab. When your getting into 5 ton single axle trucks you want a truck cab on it. You sit up right you have better visability etc.

Now that Sterling has decided to pull the pin and close up shop there goes more choices for trucks. Sterling made a fairly good truck for a reasonable dollar they are no Paccar quality by any means but they were built decently not as good as the old Ford Louisvilles.

As for the Sterling bullet is is manufactured buy Dodge it is no different than the 1.5-2 ton Cabovers Sterling sells they are rebaged Mitsus.

Ford and GM do dominate the 1 to 2 ton market it is just the way it goes they have been doing so for years. No way Dodge was able to compete with Ford or Chevy. Ford has been building a 1.5 ton truck since 1988 back then the truck had a 14,500gvw then later the F-450 had a 15,000lb gvw now the current F-450 has a 16,000lb gvw. The F-550 up to 19,000lbs which in my mind is maxing the braking capacity.