PDA

View Full Version : No Skid Sprayer

Scott's Lawn Maintenance
01-08-2009, 11:23 AM
How many of you operate your business without a skid sprayer? Is it possible to make applications only with ride ons, push spreaders and backpacks? It would seem at some point you would need a skid sprayer for fungus treatments, blanket weed control; pest control and etc.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Scott - I am planning to start out small scale weed control with only a backpack. We are talking 1/4 acre resi lots here. Don't have the funds for a $3K investment in a skid this next season.

rcreech
01-08-2009, 03:13 PM
You DO NOT need a skid sprayer if you have a ride on, but could you use one if you had it? Probably.

You will get by just fine without it.

I do have a skid type sprayer (actually home made) and 98% of its use it for carrying water only for my ride on.

I do limited insect control out of it, but that is it!

Other then that it is just a glorified water tank! :)

FdLLawnMan
01-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Could I get by without a skid sprayer, maybe, but I wouldn't want to try. On anything smaller than 5k to 6k I drag the hose. It is so much faster than getting the ride-on off the trailer, getting the small spots and trimming the edges. I also use it for mosquito control, liquid dimension and Bifenthren for sod webworm. It is just a nice tool to have in the toolbox that I would not want to be without. I did my applications for 3 years without it, but now can't imaginebeing without it. JMHO and experience.

rcreech
01-08-2009, 05:27 PM
On anything smaller than 5k to 6k I drag the hose.

Oooohh Yuck!

That sounds like manual labor to me! :laugh:

You won't find this fat boy walking a lawn! :laugh:

DLAWNS
01-08-2009, 08:03 PM
I do it with just a backpack sprayer. I couldn't justify anything more right now. However, if we keep growing at the rate we are, I will be looking into a ride on.

CHARLES CUE
01-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Oooohh Yuck!

So what do you weigh now 300 + do you need a WIDE LOAD sign for that permagreen and eight ply tires :laugh::waving:

CHARLES CUE
01-08-2009, 09:16 PM
How many of you operate your business without a skid sprayer? Is it possible to make applications only with ride ons, push spreaders and backpacks? It would seem at some point you would need a skid sprayer for fungus treatments, blanket weed control; pest control and etc.

I do have a skid sprayer but you could use all three and do a fine job you can do blanket weed control with a ride on as many do and if you dont have to many irrigated yards you wont have to much fungus problems pest control some can be done dry like merit and than play it buy ear from there
Good Luck Charles Cue

rcreech
01-08-2009, 09:32 PM
So what do you weigh now 300 + do you need a WIDE LOAD sign for that permagreen and eight ply tires :laugh::waving:

I posted this in another thread...meant to go here! Guess it ain't funny now...or maybe it never was! :cry:

Is that why when I back up now it goes....beep, beep, beep. :laugh:

No...I should be about 185-190....but unfortunatly I will start out the season around 225! Unfortunatly it happens every winter!

I will lose all my winter fat come sping...but not from physical labor, just STRESS~! :laugh:

CHARLES CUE
01-08-2009, 09:40 PM
I posted this in another thread...meant to go here! Guess it ain't funny now...or maybe it never was! :cry:

No...I should be about 185-190....but unfortunatly I will start out the season around 225! Unfortunatly it happens every winter!

I will lose all my winter fat come sping...but not from physical labor, just STRESS~! :laugh:

I will let you stress your off i will work mine off work is better for you than stress any way stress gives me a headache
Charles Cue

ted putnam
01-08-2009, 09:56 PM

Geez Rodney, when you haul a$$, do you have to make 2 trips? :laugh: just kidding.

KACYDS
01-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Geez Rodney, when you haul a$$, do you have to make 2 trips? :laugh: just kidding.

lol:laugh::laugh::laugh:

FdLLawnMan
01-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Oooohh Yuck!

Yea, its work, but I gotta tell my wife I do some manual labor.

JeffW0011
01-08-2009, 11:45 PM
I have some questions (several actually) regarding sprayer options and fert/weed programs. 2 years ago it was all about mowers and cutting so I guess I'm making progress.

I have some decisions to make in the next few months and since I have always got excellent advice down here I want to run this by you guys. Since I have a lot of questions and tend to be long worded to start with I will break things down in different posts on different threads. This thread was very germaine to a couple of the questions though.

In the near future I have to decide on my next major equipment purchase or possibly decide against it. First some quick background-This past season I implemented a five step fert/weed control program. Spent this time of last year taking the classes and got all credentialed up. I knew I was not going to buy a major peice of spray equipment last season but I got a top of the line Lesco spreader, and a nice back pack, and several smaller handhelds for different stuff. I arranged with a friend of mine to sub for the major spray rounds in the late spring and the fall. I figured I could handle anything else with my backpack.

I end up with about 30 Applicaion customers to start the season. About half of them are routine maintenance customers and the other half started out anyway as strictly Lawn App clients. So I go out do my first round...smooth sailing.

Round 2 comes around and my boy puts down the blanket spray for me and I do the fert. Not the most economical way to do things but sometimes you have to make due. My guy is real good and does great work but he was a bit slow getting to some of my stuff cause he was so busy himself. Anyway we get through round 2...pretty much break even for me after paying him and making the first year mistake of underpricing several of them. Mainly just did not consider that fertilizer was going to go through the roof between the time I priced out my plan and actually bought the stuff.

We get to round 4 time. Obviously I would keep a small sprayer in my truck over the summer and when I was at a routine maint customers house and I saw something I woukd spray it. Anyway, my sub is telling me he is way behind and stuff at the same time I am thinking round 4 is going to be a loss if I have to pay him to spray and then do the fert myself....My routine customers yards all look as good as could be expected respectivly for there watering patterns and other cultural stuff out of my hands. I tell me sub to forget about those, I have been on top of them all summer and I decided I would just heavily spot spray them with the backpack. I end up doing all of them with the backpack because he is so swamped. Prior to this I had only had one call back all year. Chick is nice but unrealistically picky so I took it with a grain of salt. I was fairly confident my 15 regulars would be fine but was a little concerned over the 15 that I did not blanket spray and had not been there on basically a weekly basis. I was very pleasantly surprised when 2 of the latter group, in fact the 2 I was most concerned about each sent me nice little notes with the final check saying they really liked my service and were very pleased with things.

Question 1) Does anyone provide applications only for there full service type customers. I have considered this option. I have heard a lot of guys say that applications was the way to go and you make a lot more than doing routine maintenance. Not sure on this....I figure if you go this route you could probably get by with a backpack and maybe use dry stuff on the 2 weed control app's. I did experiment with a few of my accounts and did only dry and backpack on last year....Did not include these in the 30 previously discussed. They looked as good as any of the others IMO. This might not be realistic if your business model was to have a big revenue percent come from App's but might be a good way to go if you were doing 20-30 clients you were at every week anyway. Thoughts??

Question 2) Since I got 30 Application people real quick last year and based on the way my business has been growing season to season and have had a lot of people make verbal committments or at least inquire about estimates etc, all that coupled with the fact that I market year long and am putting out a major campaign this spring I find it realistic that I could have a 100 Application accounts this spring. If I decide to go that route I obviously have to get some appropriate equipment.

I have been hanging around Lesco a lot and asking all kinds of questions. They are trying to steer me to a skid mount system. I don't think they are BSing me because it is about $3000.00 cheaper than the Perma Green. They say it is best to start off with the skid mount. More versatile and when you graduate to the perma green you got the fill system in place and/or can have it filled for something else. If I go skid mount (brand new) and pick up a utility truck that is reasonably presentable to haul it around in I am probably talking about the same as the Perma Green with a few odds and ends to go with it. I guess I could use one of my trailers to haul the PG and a cheap simple fill tank. Which setup makes the most sense? What would you do if you could do only one this season? I can think of multiple advantages/disadvantages of each. Can you guys help me think of somethings I may not have considered? Appreciate any input.

More questions to follow: Thanks all in advance for your help.