PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Compost Spreader

replenish&subdue
01-08-2009, 04:11 PM
I researched and found two that stand out,both motorized. One is the Bull Spreader which is more affordable than the EcoLawn Applicator. I don't know if the Bull would hold up as well as the Eco. I thought also the Bull may spread easier in tight residential areas.
Is anyone familiar with either of these two and can give feedback.Or is there another brand I might look into.

JDUtah
01-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Haven't used either, but the bull looks like you can't go less that 1/4". Something to consider.

Smallaxe
01-09-2009, 10:04 AM
The biggest problems with spreaders that I consider is volume.
How many cu. ft. can you spread b4 refilling? and How much ground will it cover b4 refilling?
So far a 5cu.ft. wheelbarrow is the most time efficient.

treegal1
01-09-2009, 12:38 PM
go with the ecolawn..............

Barefoot James
01-09-2009, 04:09 PM
The Bull is drop vs spread. the Eco has a conveyer system that is a proven method to reduce clogs and comes with a Honda engine. I will be getting one after two years of research on the pros and cons and tree uses them which is enough proof for me as they spread 1000's of yards a year.

treegal1
01-09-2009, 04:20 PM
I like em so much I want to become a distributor.....

mnturfmaster
01-16-2009, 12:42 PM
I am also considering buying a topdresser. First of all, I just got an e-mail back from the company that makes the bull spreader and they said that they have shut their doors. They would let me know in the future if they re-open. After reading on here and talking to a few that have used some of the different machines, I have decided that i will be purchasing the ecolawn applicator hopefully in march.

mnturfmaster
01-16-2009, 12:45 PM
I like em so much I want to become a distributor.....

Hey Treegal, How many yards of compost do you think you can spread in a day with the ecolawn? Have you had any problems with your machine at all and how long have you had it? Would it be possible if i could contact you to discuss this machine with you? If so, please PM me with your information.

Thanks

NattyLawn
01-16-2009, 01:14 PM
The Eco-Lawn looks badass..

I'd like to slap a sulky on there and let is pull me around too.

TF PLUS
01-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Mn T M,

I am new at application methods of compost.

I have an Eco Lawn Applicator, it was delivered in November.

Bottom-line for me is: Its the material you put in the machine that counts
Dry-Sandy-Top soil with little Compost (Bagged) or Dry-Cow Manure Compost (Bagged) spreads very fast (six cubic foot/K having trap door set at three) less than a minute.

I tried bulk Compost, very little sand with yard-waste-compost had a problem with bridging of material. Trap door was set full open, 14 cubic foot per 900 square feet was spread and it took way to long. The application needed to be smoothed out with blower.

Pure-Worm Castings or a compound of grain and worm casts fast but watch for over application, needs minor adjustments.

The machine is solid, I believe I have a problem with compost.

Hopes this helps,
Tom

mnturfmaster
01-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Mn T M,

I am new at application methods of compost.

I have an Eco Lawn Applicator, it was delivered in November.

Bottom-line for me is: Its the material you put in the machine that counts
Dry-Sandy-Top soil with little Compost (Bagged) or Dry-Cow Manure Compost (Bagged) spreads very fast (six cubic foot/K having trap door set at three) less than a minute.

I tried bulk Compost, very little sand with yard-waste-compost had a problem with bridging of material. Trap door was set full open, 14 cubic foot per 900 square feet was spread and it took way to long. The application needed to be smoothed out with blower.

Pure-Worm Castings or a compound of grain and worm casts fast but watch for over application, needs minor adjustments.

The machine is solid, I believe I have a problem with compost.

Hopes this helps,
Tom

Thanks for the Info TF. That's kind of what i am wondering about. We will be using Bulk compost but it will be screened really good. Any sticks or twigs in there will be less than an inch in length, so i hope that will still work good. The only problem will be trying to keep the bulk load dry.

TF PLUS
01-16-2009, 02:09 PM
MnTM,

I have a thought, on Wednesday 21st, the Eco Guy is going to go over the Applicator with me and even spread material. I will have the bulk compost that I used before to test. If after adjustments to the machine and it still bridges with this material, I will show him the vibration kit I had installed on my Lesco broadcast spreader. The vibration eliminated the bridging with the worm casts- grain compound, it might work on the Eco.

mnturfmaster
01-16-2009, 02:17 PM
MnTM,

I have a thought, on Wednesday 21st, the Eco Guy is going to go over the Applicator with me and even spread material. I will have the bulk compost that I used before to test. If after adjustments to the machine and it still bridges with this material, I will show him the vibration kit I had installed on my Lesco broadcast spreader. The vibration eliminated the bridging with the worm casts- grain compound, it might work on the Eco.

Please keep me informed with what you find out. I am VERY curious. I really want to buy this machine this spring as the other machines i have checked into just don't seem to be what i am looking for. And like i said before, we will be using bulk compost that will be screened very good but there will still be some sticks and twigs in there.

wallzwallz
01-16-2009, 02:28 PM
TF Plus, I am interested in the vibration kit you used for your spreader. Where did you get it and how much? thanks Mike

TF PLUS
01-16-2009, 02:50 PM
MnTM,

I will keep you posted.

The bulk compost I first tried was screened to half inch. No big pieces. They had a huge machine doing the screening. The machine looked brand new, big bucks$$$$$.

Owner of site said he's been composting for 15 years. Has three different grades of yard-waste compost: Mostly compost (18-20$), Half sand-half composted material (12-15$), and Mostly sand (8$).

Greetings Mike,

The vibration kit was from Vortex Granular Systems, owners name is Mike. Very innovative guy and he has a website. It was 350$ installed. He's out of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Several years ago I met Mike and had him come to Marco Island and demo a kit to attach to your spreader so you can spread fertilizer in bushes, tough to reach areas, etc... It worked, so I bought the kit and he installed it. I called on Mike when I first had a difficult time spreading worm cast-grain compound back in August. So now I can use my Lesco spreader to spread worm cast grain compound on bushes and lawns where application amount need to be accurate.

treegal1
01-16-2009, 02:55 PM
hey Tom, maybe come the 19th or 20th I will have some of the issues that you said fixed with the ecolawn.........

JDUtah
01-16-2009, 02:57 PM
http://vortexspreader.com

http://vortexspreader.com/pdf/products.pdf

How do you power the vibration kit?

TF PLUS
01-16-2009, 04:17 PM
http://vortexspreader.com

http://vortexspreader.com/pdf/products.pdf

How do you power the vibration kit?

JDU,
12 v re-chargeable Marine battery. Holds a charge very well, that is not an issue.

Hi TG1 and please say Hi to Phill.
It will be difficult to leave our Gulf Island then and Eco Guy will be here on 21st, but soon I will make the journey over to your Ocean Island and visit...

JDUtah
01-16-2009, 05:16 PM
JDU,
12 v re-chargeable Marine battery. Holds a charge very well, that is not an issue.

Hi TG1 and please say Hi to Phill.
It will be difficult to leave our Gulf Island then and Eco Guy will be here on 21st, but soon I will make the journey over to your Ocean Island and visit...

Thanks TF Plus,

Couple more questions. How big is the vibration kit? I assume it is mounted inside the hopper?

TF PLUS
01-16-2009, 05:43 PM
JDU,

Its a small vibrator but powerful unit that bolts to the outside-front lowest area of the spreader hopper (6"X2.5" in size) and the vibration plate (4"X4") goes on inside of the hopper. The battery sits on a shelf mounted to hand hold in front of spreader.

It has not caused maintenance problems with the spreader, not even loose bolts.

Give Vortex-Mike a call he has photos of setting mine up, he is very knowledgeable and easy to talk with.

treegal1
01-16-2009, 06:00 PM
hey tom thats great. the eco lawn folks are coming over on the 20th to see us with our own old eco lawn and the new unit. we are going to work on several things that have come up....................I will keep ya posted........

Kiril
01-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Compost guidelines for JD attached.

Keep in mind, this is an interim set of guidelines which is no longer available.

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/biblio/94038.html

New docs here.

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/swfa/compost/

JDUtah
01-17-2009, 10:46 PM
Compost guidelines for JD attached.

Keep in mind, this is an interim set of guidelines which is no longer available.

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/biblio/94038.html

New docs here.

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/swfa/compost/

Got them thanks. Are they supposed to relate to last nights discussion?

DUSTYCEDAR
01-18-2009, 01:16 PM
finding good compost is my biggest problem however i have a lead :)

treegal1
01-20-2009, 02:08 PM
the new eolawns are bad to the bone!!!! we tried several things in it, and it was just super!I will post some pics real soon.......

NattyLawn
01-20-2009, 02:23 PM
the new eolawns are bad to the bone!!!! we tried several things in it, and it was just super!I will post some pics real soon.......

Did you just have a demo done? I contacted them for more info and was told Dan was in FL.

Post the pics!

treegal1
01-20-2009, 02:33 PM
ye we tried to demo it( wreck it ) it was bad to the bone!!!

we ran wood shavings and dust, compost of every type, sandy, dry, wet, big chunky stuff, worn casts, soy meal.

and even at 110lbs It was easy to use and worked great!!!

best part, and I just loved it, Daniel had the thing in a mini van, you know a grocery getter. that impressed me.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Post some pics

treegal1
01-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Post some picseasy on the one hour photo girl for a sec...............

say 5:00 I will fill your eyes................

TF PLUS
01-20-2009, 02:51 PM
TG1 and Phill,

That's great news.

I have compost three types and pure worm castings ready for tomorrow.

I had 500 pounds of worm casting-corn meal compound in it and it did not seam to phase it when I first tried it.

treegal1
01-20-2009, 02:57 PM
well phill went nuts and filled the thing till it was heaped over and looked ready to burst and then ran some hill. that thing is far out. he put almost a whole yard on it, maybe 3/4+++ some...........

tom I sent some worm casts south for ya.........

TF PLUS
01-20-2009, 03:05 PM
TG1,

Got ya, thank you, via Eco-Spread=Express

treegal1
01-20-2009, 05:58 PM
ok so some pics...................

DUSTYCEDAR
01-21-2009, 10:57 AM
wow it fit in a mini van

treegal1
01-21-2009, 11:39 AM
wow it fit in a mini vanwith a bike and a wad of other gear to. and then he was nice to ship some casts south for me, in the van also....

Puttinggreens
01-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Here is how we do it. This is a little small for athletic fields but great for lawns 10 M to 1+ acres.

Holds 1 cubic yard with the extension. We probably spread 600+ cubic yards this Sept through January.
http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=94&pictureid=595

Barefoot James
01-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Putting Greens,

Post some pics of your work and do you use an ecolawn?? - sort of confused on your last post. Check out my synthetic green in my front yard I hit almostgolf balls to it from up to 75 yards away with a 5 iron.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=251332&highlight=barefoot+pics

Go to about the 3rd post to see green.

TF PLUS
01-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Please keep me informed with what you find out. I am VERY curious. I really want to buy this machine this spring as the other machines i have checked into just don't seem to be what i am looking for. And like i said before, we will be using bulk compost that will be screened very good but there will still be some sticks and twigs in there.

The Commander in Chief from Eco Lawn Applicator was here today to adjust my applicator.

We are going to up-grade the conveyor belt to ribbed, switch out to improved agitator and a use a larger pulley to bring it up to date, 09 standards.
My machine was built in late 07 then sold in 08.

The compost we tried he said, was dry with little sand, which caused bridging in my machine but with his machine, it was a slight issue. The product needed to be screened more and better finished.

Daniel stands behind his machine and he didn't leave here until he was satisfied with the improvements to be made.

So far, I would recommend the machine. I will up date this report after the up grades are done. Parts should be here within two weeks.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Thats good to hear

Compostwerks LLC
01-23-2009, 07:48 AM
I researched and found two that stand out,both motorized. One is the Bull Spreader which is more affordable than the EcoLawn Applicator. I don't know if the Bull would hold up as well as the Eco. I thought also the Bull may spread easier in tight residential areas.
Is anyone familiar with either of these two and can give feedback.Or is there another brand I might look into.

The Bull spreader will not handle any material with chunkies.....and the material must be more or less dry. It is a drop spreader. It looks like a well made machine which you can use for dehydrated materials.

I guess I'm biased, but the Eco-Lawn handles the broadest range of different materials. After spending many hours operating one (and selling many), I believe that it's the best spreader for it's versatility and cost (and ease of use).

The maueuverability 'off road' and in back yard situations is where the Eco-Lawn shines.

Compostwerks LLC
01-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Hey Treegal, How many yards of compost do you think you can spread in a day with the ecolawn? Have you had any problems with your machine at all and how long have you had it? Would it be possible if i could contact you to discuss this machine with you? If so, please PM me with your information.

Thanks

Jason, there are variables involved here, but one person can spread 40+ yards in one day if you have a loader.

Compostwerks LLC
01-23-2009, 08:06 AM
The Commander in Chief from Eco Lawn Applicator was here today to adjust my applicator.

We are going to up-grade the conveyor belt to ribbed, switch out to improved agitator and a use a larger pulley to bring it up to date, 09 standards.
My machine was built in late 07 then sold in 08.

The compost we tried he said, was dry with little sand, which caused bridging in my machine but with his machine, it was a slight issue. The product needed to be screened more and better finished.

Daniel stands behind his machine and he didn't leave here until he was satisfied with the improvements to be made.

So far, I would recommend the machine. I will up date this report after the up grades are done. Parts should be here within two weeks.

Yes, the new run of machines will have the textured (ribbed) conveyor and an improved agitator/fluffer. I had one of these machines (but honestly did not try it) for a few days before delivering it to a customer. I like the improvements.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-23-2009, 09:40 AM
DO YOU have any pics of the new belt and such?

treegal1
01-23-2009, 09:50 AM
yes, got to go pay some bills and such, but then I will post some pics............

DUSTYCEDAR
01-25-2009, 02:45 PM
OK BILLS SHOULD BE PAID BY NOW
:confused:

NattyLawn
01-25-2009, 05:18 PM
DO YOU have any pics of the new belt and such?

Demo'd the machine yesterday, but forgot to take pics. It's a cool machine that will definitely save you a lot of back pain and labor time. I did ask about the new belt and agitator and Daniel pointed those out to me. We had some sewage sludge worm castings that are on the chunky side and those spread great, but I'm bummed we didn't have chunky compost or wood chips to run through there.

If you have a lot of top dressing to do, I recommend the machine.

treegal1
01-25-2009, 05:38 PM
dusty I spend weekends at the farm, oh and I am bone head and don't have a belt pic, some how......

DUSTYCEDAR
01-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Thats cool tree

phasthound
01-26-2009, 10:13 AM
Demo'd the machine yesterday, but forgot to take pics. It's a cool machine that will definitely save you a lot of back pain and labor time. I did ask about the new belt and agitator and Daniel pointed those out to me. We had some sewage sludge worm castings that are on the chunky side and those spread great, but I'm bummed we didn't have chunky compost or wood chips to run through there.

If you have a lot of top dressing to do, I recommend the machine.

Matt,

Have you tested the Earth & Turf self propelled for comparison? Mine works great & spreads fine compost & chunky stuff equally well. I know some don't like the fact that it's a drop spreader, but I find it very efficient and since it holds more material once the sides are built up, that means less trips back to the truck to fill up.

At my age, I wouldn't be able to offer topdressing service without a top dresser of any brand. Yeah, I still work in the field. :)

treegal1
01-26-2009, 10:17 AM
I demo-ed it last fall, good machine, but more walking. if most of my yards where smaller I may have gone that way....

phasthound
01-26-2009, 10:24 AM
I demo-ed it last fall, good machine, but more walking. if most of my yards where smaller I may have gone that way....

Yeah, they are both good machines. You can't go wrong with either one. It just comes down to personal preferences.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-26-2009, 11:16 AM
I want fast and easy and thats that

AlecMcClennan
01-26-2009, 02:48 PM
We've tried a lot of compost spreaders and the Eco Lawn Applicator is our favorite. It spreads well, holds about 1/2 yard of compost and is a dream compared to spreading by hand.

It doesn't always spread perfectly evenly, and sometimes you need to shake the machine to get the compost to flow out of it, but it is by far the best machine we've tried.

phasthound
01-26-2009, 03:20 PM
I want fast and easy and thats that

And I want someone to shovel the compost into the spreader. Then I 'm good to go. :)

NattyLawn
01-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Matt,

Have you tested the Earth & Turf self propelled for comparison? Mine works great & spreads fine compost & chunky stuff equally well. I know some don't like the fact that it's a drop spreader, but I find it very efficient and since it holds more material once the sides are built up, that means less trips back to the truck to fill up.

At my age, I wouldn't be able to offer topdressing service without a top dresser of any brand. Yeah, I still work in the field. :)

Barry,

Thanks for the info. I have heard of them, but confused them with another company in Leola (Millcreek) that deals only with commercial equipment. I will definitely check them out as in there in our backyard.

Thanks!

JDUtah
03-09-2009, 05:21 PM
The vibration kit was from Vortex Granular Systems, owners name is Mike. Very innovative guy and he has a website. It was 350$ installed. He's out of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Several years ago I met Mike and had him come to Marco Island and demo a kit to attach to your spreader so you can spread fertilizer in bushes, tough to reach areas, etc... It worked, so I bought the kit and he installed it. I called on Mike when I first had a difficult time spreading worm cast-grain compound back in August. So now I can use my Lesco spreader to spread worm cast grain compound on bushes and lawns where application amount need to be accurate.

TF PLus,

I just ordered the vibration kit (Mike should get it shipped tomorrow). Things look good. I am going to be using a Spyker #288. I modified the axle and agitator inside the hopper and got a good response. The only problem left was I had to shake teh spreader to settle the compost every so often. I'm hoping the vibration kit takes care of that problem.

The test compost I used was screened to 1/4" and was pretty wet. I could literally make "black snowballs" and throw them. Here is a pic of the coverage (note: you can see the thick spot is where I shook the spreader)...

bicmudpuppy
03-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Guys, I get "hung up" on precision when it comes to applications, BUT put precision in the right perspective. It isn't about how much product is in a 2"x2" square. It is about how much product is in a 2'x2' square and how the 2'x2' square down the middle of the pass compares to a 2'x2' square on either end of the pattern. I made tree mad when I "suggested" that some broadcast equipment fails this test unless the pattern is overlapped. I have never seen an eco-lawn, and in all honesty, TG's word that it is even is good enough for me. If it was my nickel being spent, I would want a demo and check it myself before I passed them the check, but I am that way about almost anything I expect to perform. If I had to build it, then I have to kick myself (quite good at that too, actually), but I still kick and I don't "settle". If I'm buying something, the trade offs are weighed accordingly and then I make a decision.

My point is that the picture shows some lighter and darker "spots", but overall the distribution (minus the one streak) looks decent. Plants, even turf, don't pull nutrients from a single 1" square. Root zones are wide. The goal is to be as uniform as possible in an overall sense of the application area, not "perfect".

And, even with a drop spreader, if I feel it must be as "perfect" as possible, we do overlapping patterns in two directions. Overkill? maybe, but I feel better.

JDUtah
03-09-2009, 10:00 PM
I'll post pics when I get it tweaked just right.

My tolerance is good enough that the customers are pleased. If I have an mojor streaking problems I will let you know.

The last three years I have broadcast chems with a bag spreader over my shoulder. I don't expect this to be a problem.

onebreezer
12-11-2009, 04:23 PM
How long does it take to spread three wheel barrow loads of material evenly? I can spread three wheel barrow loads worth of material in three minutes and three seconds including loading using a conveyer truck and a turfco metermatic. You will never get material down as evenly by hand as you will by machine. It is like trying to cut your lawn with a pair of finger nail clippers. You cannot imagine the difference.

onebreezer
12-11-2009, 04:27 PM
how many cubic feet will the Eco hold

Kiril
12-11-2009, 04:27 PM
How long does it take to spread three wheel barrow loads of material evenly? I can spread three wheel barrow loads worth of material in three minutes and three seconds including loading using a conveyer truck and a turfco metermatic. You will never get material down as evenly by hand as you will by machine. It is like trying to cut your lawn with a pair of finger nail clippers. You cannot imagine the difference.

Will it fit through a 40" gate?

onebreezer
12-11-2009, 04:40 PM
there are some gates that it will not fit thru. I have taken off the chain guard from the side so it will fit thru most. We do over a hundred back yards a season and find only three or so that won't fit

onebreezer
12-11-2009, 04:43 PM
we will sometimes unscrew the gate from the post or take a section of gate down if it can be done qickly enough. we will do from 8000 to 10000 foot a day with one machine working

Barefoot James
12-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Lawn Solutions will have the best available compost spreader - EVER in 2010. If you can't wait your only options are Turfcos and Eco Lawn. Yes kiril it will fit through a 40 inch gate.

DUSTYCEDAR
12-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Cant wait to see it

starry night
12-12-2009, 02:20 PM
we will sometimes unscrew the gate from the post or take a section of gate down if it can be done qickly enough. we will do from 8000 to 10000 foot a day with one machine working

Are you correct in the figures you mentioned? Each of the lawns we care for are that size at least.

Barefoot James
12-12-2009, 03:44 PM
I think he means 80,000 to 100,000 sq ft a day. One of his trucks at 1/4 inch can probably do 30,000 sf - so he does 3 loads a day??? Just guessing here. Even to lay down some seed and cover with compost @ 1 inch would do about 8,000 sf and that would take his set up about an hour? onebreezer? help here?

onebreezer
12-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Not sure what you are asking. We topdress and core about 8000 sq foot a day. We usually use two guys. One to topdress and the other to core aerate at the same time. But one guy can do it. We get our load, arrive in front of the property, unload and unhook the trailer, roll it back, one guy starts topdressing, the other guy puts out some fliers, then aerates behind the topdresser, we hand fill low areas, fill in around trees, drag if nessicary, load up, clean up, leave a sign in the yard and a bill at the door, go home. Two guys can do 8000 in a 4 to 8 hours with out break downs. Depends on distance, amount of hand work needed, how far the truck is from the grass, break downs, speed of workers. Our average lawn size is 8000 sq foot.

phasthound
12-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Not sure what you are asking. We topdress and core about 8000 sq foot a day. We usually use two guys. One to topdress and the other to core aerate at the same time. But one guy can do it. We get our load, arrive in front of the property, unload and unhook the trailer, roll it back, one guy starts topdressing, the other guy puts out some fliers, then aerates behind the topdresser, we hand fill low areas, fill in around trees, drag if nessicary, load up, clean up, leave a sign in the yard and a bill at the door, go home. Two guys can do 8000 in a 4 to 8 hours with out break downs. Depends on distance, amount of hand work needed, how far the truck is from the grass, break downs, speed of workers. Our average lawn size is 8000 sq foot.

That doesn't sound like very good production. I can aerate, seed and topdress 8000 by myself in that time. I use Earth & Turf 100sp http://www.earthandturf.com/100sp.htm and have to shovel compost from truck into topdresser. I don't work as fast as I used to, I'm 58.

starry night
12-13-2009, 01:28 PM
That doesn't sound like very good production. I can aerate, seed and topdress 8000 by myself in that time. I use Earth & Turf 100sp http://www.earthandturf.com/100sp.htm and have to shovel compost from truck into topdresser. I don't work as fast as I used to, I'm 58.

I agree Barry. I'm 66 and capable of coreing and composting that size lawn in a full day.(shovel and wheelbarrow) But to me, that's too slow for enough production.(Not to say I could do that five days a week. :sleeping:) I have two young employees and would be upset with them if it took them longer than about 3 to 3 1/2 hours with a machine. AND it would cost me too much.

phasthound
12-13-2009, 02:01 PM
I agree Barry. I'm 66 and capable of coreing and composting that size lawn in a full day.(shovel and wheelbarrow) But to me, that's too slow for enough production.(Not to say I could do that five days a week. :sleeping:) I have two young employees and would be upset with them if it took them longer than about 3 to 3 1/2 hours with a machine. AND it would cost me too much.

I confess to hiring an 18 yr old to shovel this year. He wasn't very fast, but he could do it every day and I could get out of bed much easier every day. :)

Barefoot James
12-13-2009, 06:39 PM
I talked to onebreezer and he can do two a day (if needed) but is putting 7 yards of material on per site - aeration and filling in low spots. He does 150 to 200 of these properties each year and making big $$$. Sounds like a great operation to me! His dressing material sounds pretty cool too - stumps with roots that have been ground up with dirt/sand attached and composted then sifted into a dark rich loamy material full of OM. About 1 yard per 1000 sf.

adam.neusbaum
06-28-2011, 11:33 PM
Guys, I get "hung up" on precision when it comes to applications, BUT put precision in the right perspective. It isn't about how much product is in a 2"x2" square. It is about how much product is in a 2'x2' square and how the 2'x2' square down the middle of the pass compares to a 2'x2' square on either end of the pattern. I made tree mad when I "suggested" that some broadcast equipment fails this test unless the pattern is overlapped. I have never seen an eco-lawn, and in all honesty, TG's word that it is even is good enough for me. If it was my nickel being spent, I would want a demo and check it myself before I passed them the check, but I am that way about almost anything I expect to perform. If I had to build it, then I have to kick myself (quite good at that too, actually), but I still kick and I don't "settle". If I'm buying something, the trade offs are weighed accordingly and then I make a decision.

My point is that the picture shows some lighter and darker "spots", but overall the distribution (minus the one streak) looks decent. Plants, even turf, don't pull nutrients from a single 1" square. Root zones are wide. The goal is to be as uniform as possible in an overall sense of the application area, not "perfect".

And, even with a drop spreader, if I feel it must be as "perfect" as possible, we do overlapping patterns in two directions. Overkill? maybe, but I feel better.

This is partly why I prefer my Turfco Mete-R-Matic over the Ecolawn. With the Turfco I can easily tell where I've already been & covered. Not so wth the Eco-lawn. Running the two machines on the same yard was maddening until we designated the backyard to Ecolawn(faster groundspeed) and the Turfco does the front.
If I could buy an Ecolawn tomorrow for $2500, I'd do it because of it's speed and ease of use (1/3 the weight of the Turfco) but you can't and when I can purchase a used Turfco for $2100 and less then that's definitely the way for me. Anyone have an Ecolawn they want to sell me for $2500?

adam.neusbaum
06-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Conveyor truck- What's that look like? Make/model/Expensive? I've looked at them all (so I think) and find them unaffordable at this time. I'm tired of driving to refill after each job since my F350 dumptruck can only hold a maximum of 7 yards.

adam.neusbaum
04-09-2012, 12:58 AM
Believe it or not if you just idle while spreading, you can do even the smallest yards. Whereas with the Turfco's we'd be banging into things and still missing areas.