PDA

View Full Version : Price O.K. for bulk compost?

replenish&subdue
01-08-2009, 04:42 PM
I found a source in town to buy what they say is good quality cotton burr at $36/cuyd. Is this a good price?
Also,is this a good choice on my part to spread as a compost treatment on residential lawns for my organic program? Should this be supplemented with an organic fertilizer? A local company here is wanting to sell me on an fertilizer called Sustain. Anyone know of it or recommend another?

Mr. Nice
01-08-2009, 05:28 PM
replenish,

Good compost is the HEART of an organic program, and if good enough? the only thing needed, every thing else is icing on the cake.

The object to organic's is to feed the soil and let the soil feed the plant.

Basically it's the biology making available nutrients for the plant.

Understanding how to make that system productive is your first need.

Then you will be better able to make input decisions basest on that.

GOOD compost will be high in nutrient's, OM and biology.

As far as sustain from lesco? there are cheaper equivalents to that product.

I'm sure some salesman here can help you find some?

ICT Bill
01-08-2009, 10:16 PM
I found a source in town to buy what they say is good quality cotton burr at $36/cuyd. Is this a good price?
Also,is this a good choice on my part to spread as a compost treatment on residential lawns for my organic program? Should this be supplemented with an organic fertilizer? A local company here is wanting to sell me on an fertilizer called Sustain. Anyone know of it or recommend another?

Compost for $36/cu yd is a little expensive, typical compost is $12 to $16 per yard. ask for the analysis please, if sold in bulk they must have an analysis available. if they don't ...........run

treegal1
01-08-2009, 10:48 PM
hey heads up on the cotton, it has loads of pesticides and they kill it with herbicide that may not come out with the wash so to speak.

Kiril
01-09-2009, 01:33 AM
Compost for $36/cu yd is a little expensive, typical compost is $12 to $16 per yard. ask for the analysis please, if sold in bulk they must have an analysis available. if they don't ...........run

You haven't checked out CA prices lately heh? I pay $32/yard, and I have seen it for WAY more than that ($199 for 50 cubic feet)

Kiril
01-09-2009, 01:37 AM
Should this be supplemented with an organic fertilizer?

The status of your soil and the soil type will determine that.

Smallaxe
01-09-2009, 11:44 AM
$22.00 to $25.00/yd around here.
I want to go to the compost farm and see what a big truckload costs, delivered.
50yds. would put my compost apps on the fast track. :)

treegal1
01-09-2009, 12:35 PM
I just got a quote for 32$ per yard, and they will give me a break at 100 yards to 25$ per....................

Barefoot James
01-09-2009, 04:16 PM
$16 per yard here - great stuff - big yards too about 32 sq ft - all yard waste stuff - no manure fortifiers
Another source out of Lexington is $16 for their OMRI cert low end and $25 for their OMRI gourmet compost - really great #'s - both manure (horse) fortified stuff.

tree what up with quotes?? Just keeping tabs on your competetion - yeah thats what you are doing....

Barefoot James
01-09-2009, 04:29 PM
What about this -
1/3 fungal dominated compost + 1/3 bacterial dominated compost + 1/3 worm casts - note the iron count off the charts, this would turn your grass blue. About $250 per 27 cu ft yard - does not include shipping.

treegal1
01-09-2009, 04:46 PM
no I burned up 1000+ yards and only have 100 yards to get me through till Feb and this is the time to get it done.......

I also found a 500 yard pile of zoo poo that has been siting for 3 years and needs a home so I will be fine. they even have a tractor or 3 on site to load...............

DUSTYCEDAR
01-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Zoo poo is some funky stuff