PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping searches in steady decline

Team-Green L&L
01-08-2009, 09:29 PM
I was playing around on Google Trends today and noticed a steady decline in the number of searches for "landscaping". My area didn't get hit so hard, but worldwide there has been a 30% decrease in Google searches in the past 4 years and in America there has been about a 15-20% decline:

02DURAMAX
01-09-2009, 04:27 AM
yup.......

shade tree landscaping
01-09-2009, 03:02 PM
its amazing though how once spring comes the chart takes off....and then by mid to late summer its dropped off....would love to know what that big decline in the begining of the second quater of 2007 was caused by

PaperCutter
01-09-2009, 03:24 PM
unless I'm missing something, it looks like searches fall off this time every year.

JDUtah
01-09-2009, 04:42 PM
its amazing though how once spring comes the chart takes off....and then by mid to late summer its dropped off....would love to know what that big decline in the begining of the second quater of 2007 was caused by

One landscape truck driver ruined it for all of us! He hit a bicycler and people must have gone on strike! :laugh:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=landscaping

See Letter B

shade tree landscaping
01-09-2009, 06:42 PM
One landscape truck driver ruined it for all of us! He hit a bicycler and people must have gone on strike! :laugh:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=landscaping

See Letter B

HAHAHA....it only takes one to ruin it for everyone

RickR1818
01-09-2009, 06:47 PM
This could also be because of an increase in the use of other search engines such as Yahoo (Yahoo Local) and an increase in online yellow pages.

mdvaden
01-10-2009, 04:16 AM
All I know is that phone calls are coming in at twice the rate this January compared to the last 5 years. Not all storm related either.

My web page views shot like a rocket the past week and half. The number you see written should really be closer to 660 page views for this week, because when I took the screen capture, it was adding today while only at the 20 views point just after midnight. So my page totals now, are as high as the February and March of previous years. In other words - very good. I have more than landscape pages. I'd go nuts if I got this many page views on my main services pages. The bulk are the landscape and tree care tips pages.

Ignore the huge gap Dec. of 2007. I had begun to quit tracking stats on a lot of pages, then changed my mind and added the code back in to the pages.

The one period that I really like just for consistency, was between April 2008 and October 2008. See how fairly flat the traffic stayed, compared to the fluctuation the previous year in that span of time?

Team-Green L&L
01-10-2009, 10:59 PM
MVaden, I don't know how you're seeing that king of traffic and spike, but congrats! Now, here's the biggest question...are those numbers converting. Are you selling to AT LEAST 1-2% of all traffic?

I don't pay for floor space to get window shoppers and I don't pay for bandwidth unless I'm converting. Traffic is great and all, but what is it without sales? If you sold 60-100 jobs already this season from your site I am thoroughly impressed. SEO is a little more than traffic, but that's still impressive none-the-less.

I am also wondering about the decline of '07. That's peculiar.

I think that Yahoo is getting a little better in their market share and with their new marketing system they may increase that revenue also, but Google still has over 65% of the search market and when I look at stats I try to find the highest number of subjects. Seems to be more accurate that way. For those in lawn care, imagine Brickman Group of search. You may be big, but they're still bigger...

mdvaden
01-11-2009, 02:52 AM
I did not really explain completely what I meant by many pages being "tips" pages. No Google ads go on my main services pages. But on the tips pages, they do. So I average $100 a month from Google for the ads on the pages.

Most of my pruning and landscape work is coming from the site. Never did call old customers once we moved back. Don't mind them, but almost preferring to start from scratch. But I may call some this spring.

But never had time to after moving back here last June. The website kept us busy. And I was told enough referral from it to supply about 1/4 to 1/3 of another companies work too.

Anyhow, all I know is that most calls now are coming from the site. More calls than usual, and the site is getting more traffic than usual.

No complaints - last November was not a fun adventure due to the economy.

Team-Green L&L
01-11-2009, 09:13 AM
I see, so you are using your main site as a "blog" of sorts and including all those pages of GREAT information to create residual streams through AdSense? That is very "outside the box" for a landscaping company and I am impressed. That is EXACTLY how you should promote your site. "If you build it they will come". I wish you could convince the masses to "quit playing and start saying" for their rankings.

I would still think you'd see a higher ROI if you focused on converting homeowners from the site. The DIY links are where the AdSense revs are for those types of sites.

Also, how well are using your anchor text links? Market share linking is just as powerful (if not more) than content. For instance (and I have since dropped this site but anyways); I built a site called GreaterCincinnatiArea.com a few years back that served as a small business directory for my market area and eventually had a PR 4. Now, when I get a client in this area I will use a text link from, the GreaterCincinnatiArea.com site with anchor text describing their services. What this did was tell Google that this link goes to a site that offers "anchor text here" in the "Greater Cincinnati Area" and since the site bearing the link is already established, the credibility of the new site will be far greater than it would be organically. This is called Market Share Linking.

I personally would include a digital download option for a good DIY e-book. I think Clickbank has a bunch of them you can grab 75% commissions on and never move product. That would increase some of your click-through rates from $1 or so to $15 or so.

I did not really explain completely what I meant by many pages being "tips" pages. No Google ads go on my main services pages. But on the tips pages, they do. So I average $100 a month from Google for the ads on the pages.

Most of my pruning and landscape work is coming from the site. Never did call old customers once we moved back. Don't mind them, but almost preferring to start from scratch. But I may call some this spring.

But never had time to after moving back here last June. The website kept us busy. And I was told enough referral from it to supply about 1/4 to 1/3 of another companies work too.

Anyhow, all I know is that most calls now are coming from the site. More calls than usual, and the site is getting more traffic than usual.

No complaints - last November was not a fun adventure due to the economy.

Team-Green L&L
01-11-2009, 09:26 AM
unless I'm missing something, it looks like searches fall off this time every year.

You are missing something. We are not looking at the slumps. We look at the pinnacle of each year. 2008 shows a 30% decline in searches during it's heaviest trafficked months in comparison to 2004 search volume.

Team-Green L&L
01-11-2009, 09:55 AM
I just jumped on my Analytics Report to see how a campaign I did at the end of last month turned out in response. I just landed a couple big deals and I figured I'd better see the stats.

Here's what I was talking about earlier. This is the stats from my "Contact" page. I like to convert from this page for obvious reasons. As you can see, on December 14-15th, when I ran this promotion, I received a major spike (84 visitors each day) in traffic. If I had the time I would always be promoting this hard, but I just wanted to brag a little. Thanks for looking

mdvaden
01-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Also, how well are using your anchor text links? Market share linking is just as powerful (if not more) than content.

Are you referring to the links that jump to other spots on the page from the same page? If that's what you mean, I have not used them strategically.

Also, for a bit of looking backward ... the first page of mine that got me to thinking about adding Google ads was the safe woods for birds page I put together after my wife and I tried to find a decent list of safe tree woods to use for our parrots and cockaties.

You can find it on Google by typing:

Safe wood for parrots
Safe wood for birds
Safe wood for cockatiels
or even
Toxic wood parrots
Etc..

No regrets on that page for sure. Back to the anchor text though ... was that what you meant ??

Team-Green L&L
01-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Back to the anchor text though ... was that what you meant ??

Kind of, but not exactly. Those are same-page links or internal links and they used to hold some weight, but Google is pretty much ignoring them now. I'm talking about using links on other sites. I own a lot of sites myself to do that with, but there are tricks to that like using separate servers in separate locations, etc. If you can get links with good anchor text from other sites, those are great. The example I gave was premium because the anchor text happens to be the exact words within the domain and it's a .com.

One great way to get market share links is with off-site article directories and paid press release submissions. I recommend these 2 things to anyone. Just know the difference. These should never sound like ads. They should be about subject of interest and news and just have a link or two to your site because you were either involved, sponsoring, or the writer of the article.