PDA

View Full Version : Ford Super Duty Trouble Code P0463 help!!

MDLawn
01-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Any Super Duty owners with 5.4 V8 (newer 300hp) ever get this trouble code?

P0463 Fuel level sensor circuit, high input

Just want to see if anyone has run into this and any solutions to it before taking it to the shop.

Here is some background on the problem:

Hear the warning chime and see check engine light while noticing my fuel guage drop to below empty (I completely filled up the night before). Runs fine just no fuel guage reading. Now I have to set the trip odometer to make sure I don't run out of fuel. This happened about 5-6 months ago. Again runs fine.

Thanks for and ideas in advance

jkilov
01-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Sounds like a faulty fuel sending unit. You know, the gadget in the gas tank that measures the fuel level.

You're looking at a few hours work if you have access to a lift. If not comfortable with doing it yourself find a good mechanic to replace the part (sending unit only, not entire pump). Where did you have the codes read?

Not 100% sure it's the culprit, but very likely.

MDLawn
01-09-2009, 04:39 PM
Can't remember the autoparts store but one of those code readers. So yea I am not totally sold on that being the problem. Thanks for the help!

TimsLawnCareVA
01-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Your problem is either a faulty sending unit or a problem with the wiring or connector. More than likely it is a faulty sending unit.

MDLawn
02-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Faulty Sending Unit was the culprit. Of course with Ford's brilliant innovation you cannot just replace this one part in my 2006 model year (according to my repair guy it would have been a couple hundred less). And only Ford sells this part as I could not find it anywhere else. You have to buy everything involved as one piece. Thanks Ford for taking more of my money :hammerhead:

Thanks for all the input everyone.

randy448
02-13-2009, 02:27 PM
hope you saved the part.2 years down the road when fuel pump goes bad you could use the pump off that one,if it comes apart?