PDA

View Full Version : Stihl MS290

Daily Lawn/Landscape
01-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Well I screwed up and left my chainsaw out by the wood pile at the shop Tuesday afternoon. Got to the shop this morning and when I opened up the door and noticed the empty case I went back to the wood pile. No chain saw. The thing that sucks is I'm at the back of the property and the only people that ever go back there are 2 people that take their dog to the back field to relieve themselves. They both state they never saw it. Also, another guy in the complex had his tool box stolen out of his truck on Tuesday night. I'm ready to hang someone by there nuts. What really sucks is, I had a job lined up for Monday to cut up a fallen tree. Would have been an easy $300 plus about a cord and a half of fire wood. I thought last year started off bad. I hopr this is not things to come.
Stolen was a Stihl MS290 Serial #269131848
Police report made and we have already hit most of the pawn shops in the area.
Thanks for the vent time.

James

jkilov
01-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Sorry to hear James, stuff like this just happens.

If you're stating the saw was left outside in plain view for 3 days it's no wonder. But honest folks just don't pay attention to stuff like that. People who are super worried about getting stuff stolen would steal themselves.

If the serial No. is on a sticker then it won't help much. Keep an eye on craiglist and ebay listing for your area. You never know.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
01-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Sorry to hear James, stuff like this just happens.

If you're stating the saw was left outside in plain view for 3 days it's no wonder. But honest folks just don't pay attention to stuff like that. People who are super worried about getting stuff stolen would steal themselves.

If the serial No. is on a sticker then it won't help much. Keep an eye on craiglist and ebay listing for your area. You never know.

Thanks!
The saw was not in sight from the parking lot. It was sitting in between a stack of cut wood and 2 rows of split and stacked wood. The person had to walk back there amongst the wood pile/stack to see it.

Nick's Lawn Care
01-16-2009, 07:45 PM
hmmm... i would keep an eye out on the neighbors....

i keep mine locked up good...

Grassmechanic
01-19-2009, 11:45 AM
A crowbar in that eye in the wall and that stuff could be gone in seconds.

dmakowski
01-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Keep checking the pawn shops Paper craigslist ebay. that is how I got 3 trimmers and a blower back. Good Luck

Nick's Lawn Care
01-19-2009, 04:54 PM
A crowbar in that eye in the wall and that stuff could be gone in seconds.

I would love to see you try it!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Its 5" in and its not budgin, i broke the hammer drill putting it in...

Grassmechanic
01-20-2009, 12:25 PM
I would love to see you try it!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Its 5" in and its not budgin, i broke the hammer drill putting it in...

I'm not talking about pulling it out. I'm talking about opening up the eye and slipping off the cable.

It was a round-about way of telling you to use a closed eye.

Nick's Lawn Care
01-20-2009, 07:09 PM
I'm not talking about pulling it out. I'm talking about opening up the eye and slipping off the cable.

It was a round-about way of telling you to use a closed eye.

It is a closed eye..

justanotherlawnguy
01-20-2009, 09:39 PM
I used to use a cable like that to secure my pruner to the side of my open trailer a few years ago. I was at a job once and needed to use my pruner only to realize that I left the key at home. The jobsite wasnt close and was in an area I did not usually work in, so i was not about to leave and come back.

It took me less than a minute to "steal" my own pruner. Pair of bolt cutters, and wire cutters made short work of my kryptonite cable.

Bottom line, if somebody wants it, they are gonna get it. Period.....

Nick's Lawn Care
01-20-2009, 09:58 PM
I used to use a cable like that to secure my pruner to the side of my open trailer a few years ago. I was at a job once and needed to use my pruner only to realize that I left the key at home. The jobsite wasnt close and was in an area I did not usually work in, so i was not about to leave and come back.

It took me less than a minute to "steal" my own pruner. Pair of bolt cutters, and wire cutters made short work of my kryptonite cable.

They could steal my stuff if they wanted, but this should slow them down some...

Perfect Image TLM
01-20-2009, 10:39 PM
Theft is on the rise... Everyone needs to keep a good eye out for thier equipment, more than ever since the economy is shook up.

justanotherlawnguy
01-21-2009, 11:40 AM
They could steal my stuff if they wanted, but this should slow them down some...

funny thing was, several cars and one lawn company drove by while I was cutting the cable and nobody said anything. Broad daylight, nobody cares anymore..:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Grassmechanic
01-21-2009, 02:20 PM
It is a closed eye..

Sure don't look like it in the pic. I can see the end of the loop.

jkilov
02-01-2009, 03:10 PM

Man, I really envy you on that ms200. You have loads of new equipment, just starting out?

I just about gave up on chains and cables for security. Had a husqvarna saw stolen whilst chained down. The massive chain was intact. Mr brainiac thief must have cut front handle open and replaced the $20 part before selling my saw. Any lock is only as strong of protection as the equipment it secures.

Nick's Lawn Care
02-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Man, I really envy you on that ms200. You have loads of new equipment, just starting out?

I just about gave up on chains and cables for security. Had a husqvarna saw stolen whilst chained down. The massive chain was intact. Mr brainiac thief must have cut front handle open and replaced the $20 part before selling my saw. Any lock is only as strong of protection as the equipment it secures.

Yea im getting out of lawn care and getting into tree work... the 200t is a great saw!!! I wish i bought a 660 though instead of the 441...

Thanks nick

Nick's Lawn Care
02-02-2009, 09:52 PM
here's another picture...

jkilov
02-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Yea im getting out of lawn care and getting into tree work... the 200t is a great saw!!! I wish i bought a 660 though instead of the 441...
Sometimes I wonder myself whether or not to bail out on mowing. Just so hard to earn any real money, whilst I make more with the saws during storm cleanups.

Anyway, thanks for the pic, I'm looking at getting the rear handle 200 for thin work.
And don't worry about the 441, the 660 weighs 17lbs and is used more for competition than every day work. There's a tree service forum on this site if you ever need any info.

Nick's Lawn Care
02-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Sometimes I wonder myself whether or not to bail out on mowing. Just so hard to earn any real money, whilst I make more with the saws during storm cleanups.

Anyway, thanks for the pic, I'm looking at getting the rear handle 200 for thin work.
And don't worry about the 441, the 660 weighs 17lbs and is used more for competition than every day work. There's a tree service forum on this site if you ever need any info.

I worked with a tree guy last summer and we used a 660 all the time... My stihl store offered me a deal on the 200 rear handle but i wanted the top handle...

Nick's Lawn Care
02-05-2009, 06:51 PM

I love to do storm work. We had a wind storm a couple of months ago and worked 3 days, it was a blast!

02DURAMAX
02-07-2009, 03:19 AM
hmmm... i would keep an eye out on the neighbors....

they have three options

Cut the..

Cord, Lock, Or Eye... Very easy to get to them!

Nick's Lawn Care
02-07-2009, 03:03 PM
they have three options

Cut the..

Cord, Lock, Or Eye... Very easy to get to them!

Again i would like to see you cut it... it would be faster to cut the chainsaw, blower and trimmer...

occ3377
03-01-2009, 09:38 PM
hey nick if you are regretting getting that 441 shoot me a price cause i have been looking for one of them.

Nick's Lawn Care
03-02-2009, 05:49 PM
hey nick if you are regretting getting that 441 shoot me a price cause i have been looking for one of them.

I think i'm going to keep it for a little while. I'm waiting for the new 660 to come out!!

I'll let you know, im not 100% sure if I still want to keep it...

Nick

occ3377
03-02-2009, 05:52 PM
i would think that if you dont like the 441 that you arent going to like the 661 and that you should buy the 660 before the new ones come out?

Nick's Lawn Care
03-02-2009, 06:18 PM
i would think that if you dont like the 441 that you arent going to like the 661 and that you should buy the 660 before the new ones come out?

I like the 441, i just want a bigger saw. More power!!:weightlifter:

If i didn't need more power i would stick with the 441...its a great saw!

Nick

occ3377
03-02-2009, 06:22 PM
yea i got to thinking about that and couldent find out how to edit my post. I am used to arboristsite where they dont like the saw because of the new technology, but if you want a smoother, better filtering, maybe a little more power and the weight that goes with that, you will like the 661 from what i have heard. For me the 661 is too big for practicality, and so i plan on getting the 441 and save change until i can get a BIG saw.

Nick's Lawn Care
03-02-2009, 08:32 PM
yea i got to thinking about that and couldent find out how to edit my post. I am used to arboristsite where they dont like the saw because of the new technology, but if you want a smoother, better filtering, maybe a little more power and the weight that goes with that, you will like the 661 from what i have heard. For me the 661 is too big for practicality, and so i plan on getting the 441 and save change until i can get a BIG saw.

Yea buying the 441 was an impulse move. I bought it durring a storm and had the cash on hand, it was $862 and some change. For $150ish more i could of bought a 660... thats why i wish i bought a 660. I'm so mad i didn't buy it:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

occ3377
03-02-2009, 08:43 PM
i can't wait to try out my new ms 361, havent hadmuch of a chance yet

02DURAMAX
03-04-2009, 01:39 AM
Again i would like to see you cut it... it would be faster to cut the chainsaw, blower and trimmer...

Send me a lock, cable, and eyehook by mail and ill make a video of just how fast i can cut all three.:laugh:

grincon
03-04-2009, 02:14 AM
try changing the sprocket on the 441 to a 440 one and you get a lot more speed. Its got plenty of torque to turn it. its my favorite saw.

Nick's Lawn Care
03-04-2009, 09:26 PM
try changing the sprocket on the 441 to a 440 one and you get a lot more speed. Its got plenty of torque to turn it. its my favorite saw.

Thanks! I'll have to try that!

Nick

jlawnman
03-18-2009, 08:07 PM

You're right.. If they want it they're gonna get it. But I'm not gonna leave it unattended unlocked and make it easy for them.

Nick's Lawn Care
03-19-2009, 01:33 PM
You're right.. If they want it they're gonna get it. But I'm not gonna leave it unattended unlocked and make it easy for them.

Exactly! It just keeps people from grabbing it and running...

jkilov
04-04-2009, 06:01 PM
There's one more thing about securing saws. Don't lock down by the front handle. Use to do this myself until I lost the keys. Just stopped and thought for a moment. Grabbed a wrench, unscrewed the 3 bolts holding the frond bar and so much for that.

Once you consider that some parts of equipment can be easily cut or unscrewed, you realize just how easy it is to snatch them :( .