PDA

View Full Version : JDL- Lesco great service.

tlg
01-09-2009, 07:44 PM
In this day and age when dealing with companies that won't go the extra mile or sales reps that don't come threw it's good to know that JDL has more than exceeded my expectations for good customer service. My JDL sales rep has the honesty and integrity that one always hopes for. Time and time again she has proven why I continue to buy from JDL-Lesco. The last year and a half have been unpredictable to say the least regarding fert cost . It's good to know that I was getting straight answers throughout these unprecedented economic times. The JDL - LESCO merger left a lot of uncertainty and it took some time to get adjusted to. I like what I have seen so far and I'm confident that JDL management and my local service center sales rep will continue to provide great service. I just wanted to thank her and JDL. This ones for you!:drinkup:

turfsolutions
01-09-2009, 07:48 PM
They may provide great service, but I need great prices.

bj22
01-09-2009, 07:59 PM
Is she doing more than selling you fertilizer? Sure sounds like it

greenbaylawns
01-09-2009, 08:08 PM
They may provide great service, but I need great prices.

That's why we left

tlg
01-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Is she doing more than selling you fertilizer? Sure sounds like it

That's a bit uncalled for here . Perhaps comments like that are better kept in the gutter where you appear to linger.

LawnTamer
01-09-2009, 08:51 PM
My customer service and prices have gone to pot since JD bought Lesco. Used to be, I could pop into Lesco anytime, chat a bit and get what I needed at a decent price, not anymore. :cry:

lifetree
01-09-2009, 09:01 PM
That's a bit uncalled for here . Perhaps comments like that are better kept in the gutter where you appear to linger.

tlg -- Good response !!

tlg
01-09-2009, 09:02 PM
That's why we left

I be the first one to tell you that price is always a factor when buying material. But it's only part of the whole deal. Dealing with good honest people is worth a lot in my book. Sure prices are up from last year, but not by much. Anybody that thinks were going back to prices of a few years back anytime soon needs a reality check. I buy a decent amount of fert from JDL - LESCO. Going on 12 years now. Do I really need to nickel and dime them? My prices work for me and I'm satisfied I got a fair deal. The thinking here really amazes me. Everybody on this site will probably raise prices for their lawn care customers. How many of you guys will scream when your hard earned customers jump ship over a price increase. Don't you just hate them price shoppers? You know you do. Loyalty goes both ways.

lifetree
01-09-2009, 09:03 PM
My customer service and prices have gone to pot since JD bought Lesco. Used to be, I could pop into Lesco anytime, chat a bit and get what I needed at a decent price, not anymore. :cry:

This is what I've heard elsewhere !!

DLAWNS
01-09-2009, 09:33 PM
My store treats me pretty well but I'm still waiting to see what happens.

ted putnam
01-09-2009, 10:31 PM
I be the first one to tell you that price is always a factor when buying material. But it's only part of the whole deal. Dealing with good honest people is worth a lot in my book. Sure prices are up from last year, but not by much. Anybody that thinks were going back to prices of a few years back anytime soon needs a reality check. I buy a decent amount of fert from JDL - LESCO. Going on 12 years now. Do I really need to nickel and dime them? My prices work for me and I'm satisfied I got a fair deal. The thinking here really amazes me. Everybody on this site will probably raise prices for their lawn care customers. How many of you guys will scream when your hard earned customers jump ship over a price increase. Don't you just hate them price shoppers? You know you do. Loyalty goes both ways.

I agree with everything you said. They've told me more than once that they strive to be competitive on price. They've never told me they would match price and so far the quality has remained "above and beyond." I don't match prices with my competitors partly because my service is above and beyond. If they are that out of wack then you need to point it out to them and back it up with something besides a belly ache. If you're squabling over a buck a bag then you're cutting your margins to close and you need to raise your prices. And as always, compare apples to apples. JMO

rcreech
01-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Totally agree Ted!

How would we all feel it all our customer always went with the cheapest?

I would go out of business. I am usually in the middle or the highest anymore.

But I just sell my QUALITY and SERVICE!

What is wrong with JDL doing the same thing?

whoopassonthebluegrass
01-09-2009, 10:49 PM
I envy you. MY Lesco won't return calls/emails, won't get me chems, won't get me the parts for my equipment, run 50% higher on fert than others here...

I'm down to one useful local vendor. And their selection is barely passable. I'm going to have to see if I can get UAP to hook me up from 300 miles away...

rcreech
01-09-2009, 10:57 PM
I envy you. MY Lesco won't return calls/emails, won't get me chems, won't get me the parts for my equipment, run 50% higher on fert than others here...

I'm down to one useful local vendor. And their selection is barely passable. I'm going to have to see if I can get UAP to hook me up from 300 miles away...

All business's are the same. I can go to 10 McDonalds and get different servuce and quality at every one. And even some cost more then others.

Does that mean McDonald's sucks? NO...just some are better then others. But remember this is America and if McDonalds ticks you off you can go to Wendy's or Taco Bell!

I sure don't want to brag on my Lesco...but they are just plum awesome!

Awesome Service
Great advice
Top of the line product
Great prices (beat everyone around here)
Good advice
Has helped me to grow my business
Delivers to my home when I am busy
Make calls to see how I am doing and if I need anything

Sounds too good to be true I know...but that is why I think the world of them!

I think it comes down to loyalty to some extent! If you are loyal to them they will be loyal to you! If you are a price shopper then they will treat you like one!

ed2hess
01-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Things in our area have degraded significantly. For one their computer systems aren't useable...it takes them 5 minutes to look up a price and the system is down many times so that can't process bills. No level of expertise in fact the sprinkler guys are coverning the chemical part.

JDUtah
01-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Lesco.com doesn't show my local dealer (that was within 5 miles) as of two days ago. I have yet to call and find out why. I guess the next one that is 30 miles from here isn't that bad though lol.

If they closed the local one I hope they transferred the rep too! :clapping:

LawnTamer
01-10-2009, 02:08 AM
Lesco.com doesn't show my local dealer (that was within 5 miles) as of two days ago. I have yet to call and find out why. I guess the next one that is 30 miles from here isn't that bad though lol.

If they closed the local one I hope they transferred the rep too! :clapping:

Last I heard, they were closing both Utah locations. MY SL location closed mid summer, they are just running it out of a JD irrigation store, and don't carry much. I heard Chuck's store up north was getting the axe too.

Rodney, my Lesco experience wasn't quite as good as yours, but it was pretty good. They would always try to match price, or come close enough to be competitive. They would help me out with questions about new products and equipment, return calls, and were friendly.

JDUtah
01-10-2009, 02:13 AM
Last I heard, they were closing both Utah locations. MY SL location closed mid summer, they are just running it out of a JD irrigation store, and don't carry much. I heard Chuck's store up north was getting the axe too.

They moved him closer to me. A JDL sprinkler shop with a decent fert warehouse across the parking lot. But it wasn't listed... I will call them monday. Where's the pray emot?

lifetree
01-10-2009, 06:34 AM
... I sure don't want to brag on my Lesco...but they are just plum awesome !

Awesome Service
Great advice
Top of the line product
Good advice

Sounds too good to be true I know...but that is why I think the world of them !

I think it comes down to loyalty to some extent! If you are loyal to them they will be loyal to you! If you are a price shopper then they will treat you like one !

Man, why not brag on them if they're as good as you say they are ... good for you that you have that good a relationship with your vendor !!

FdLLawnMan
01-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Mine as also done all off the following;
Awesome Service
Great advice
Top of the line product
Good advice

I just hope JDL knows the good store mangers and doesn't screw with them. to much.

turf hokie
01-10-2009, 09:29 AM
I think I may have all of you beat:waving:

I have 2 stores within 15 minutes of me that I deal with and a territory sales man. They all have been tremendous to me. Knowledgeable, helpful, in so many ways too, pricing was an issue last year, but after the JDL buyout shook out it seems they have come back to reality this year.

That does not mean I dont still check prices and products, it is just good business to do so. But I can tell you that during the JDL merger they lost most of my business. And I can tell you that they will never have all of my business no matter how good they are because they dont carry some of the products that I use.

However, they understand that they dont carry the products that I am looking for at the current time and are working on it.

Matter of fact they just recently put together a product that I had been looking for. Now it was not just for me but a push for similar products from several companies. But the point is that my guys saw a need and found a way to get what we were looking for.

If they dont have something in stock they get it for me and quickly, if a store close by has it and I dont have time to drive to get it, one of the store guys has driven to get it for me.(sometimes upwards of a 2 hour round trip)

ted putnam
01-10-2009, 10:28 AM
I think I may have all of you beat:waving:

I have 2 stores within 15 minutes of me that I deal with and a territory sales man. They all have been tremendous to me. Knowledgeable, helpful, in so many ways too, pricing was an issue last year, but after the JDL buyout shook out it seems they have come back to reality this year.

That does not mean I dont still check prices and products, it is just good business to do so. But I can tell you that during the JDL merger they lost most of my business. And I can tell you that they will never have all of my business no matter how good they are because they dont carry some of the products that I use.

However, they understand that they dont carry the products that I am looking for at the current time and are working on it.

Matter of fact they just recently put together a product that I had been looking for. Now it was not just for me but a push for similar products from several companies. But the point is that my guys saw a need and found a way to get what we were looking for.

If they dont have something in stock they get it for me and quickly, if a store close by has it and I dont have time to drive to get it, one of the store guys has driven to get it for me.(sometimes upwards of a 2 hour round trip)

Same here. Case in point: UFLEXX. I have used it instead of Standard Urea the last couple of years. They don't carry it so I have to go elsewhere. I've told them more than once that if they had it, I would give them a shot at the sale. Unfortunately, the local managers don't make that decision...

Fert33
01-10-2009, 01:33 PM

I couldn't have put it any better. :clapping:

Grassyknoll99
01-10-2009, 03:27 PM

"Anybody that thinks were going back to prices of a few years back anytime soon needs a reality check."

??? You might want to make another call to somebody else. Prices have already fallen by almost half from last fall for 20-0-0 or higher and they are going lower. Commodity prices have collapsed and its going to get alot worse. This is a bad recession and prices are falling even faster then when they went up.

Good Luck

ted putnam
01-10-2009, 04:02 PM
[QUOTE=Grassyknoll99;2689467. Commodity prices have collapsed and its going to get alot worse. This is a bad recession and prices are falling even faster then when they went up.

This is why I didn't, haven't, and most likely won't order fert early. I understand the reasoning behind doing so as far as knowing your input prices so program prices are set for the yearand there's no question or doubts what prices need to be...but... For those that ordered everything they need for the year, they may have done themselves more harm than good. For those that will need to order more later after prices drop(if they continue to drop) you'll increase your profit. If prices continue to drop, those that waited to buy on an as needed basis may stand to be the best off.

KACYDS
01-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Same here. Case in point: UFLEXX. I have used it instead of Standard Urea the last couple of years. They don't carry it so I have to go elsewhere. I've told them more than once that if they had it, I would give them a shot at the sale. Unfortunately, the local managers don't make that decision...

I understand this fully. I use a Safety Oil (dormant oil) that is made by Brandt Ind. that I love greatly. I buy it from Regal Chemical out of Atlanta. IMO its a much better product than Lesco's brand. When you spray this stuff, the customer knows that I have been there.

I pay roughly $15 dollars more a case vs. Lesco brand. I use about 32-35 cases per year. I told them if they could get this for me, that I would buy it from them. But their hands are tied. Its a corporate decision.

Since I worked for Lesco in the late 90's & early 00's, (for 7 years), I would suggest many things that we could sell in our market. But none of it every went through. Their thinking was to pursuade the customer to buy what we sold. Also, once I was told by the higher ups, "If we don't have it, then the customer doesn't need it."

ted putnam
01-10-2009, 04:45 PM
sold. Also, once I was told by the higher ups, "If we don't have it, then the customer doesn't need it."

Shortsightedness will hurt you no matter what business or end of a particular business you are in... Both of our situations are case in point. I will say I have noticed a little more "variety" since JD took over.

greendoctor
01-10-2009, 04:51 PM
That is the kind of attitude that will turn me off. If a vendor wants my business, he would be ill advised to push a product on me just because "everyone else uses it". The fact that I am not "everyone else" is the reason for the success of my business.

KACYDS
01-10-2009, 05:09 PM
I will say I have noticed a little more "variety" since JD took over.

I wish I could say the same. Seems to be less chemicals and fert, more irrigation and drainage. I know each store is different, but the one in New Orleans is pushing irrigation big time.

John Deere don't know the gold mine they have here, because they are the only local supplier in the area. Since the take over, I have had to get most of my supplies from out of town. Regal - Atlanta, GA, BWI - Jackson, MS, Red River - Shreveport, LA.

ted putnam
01-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Kris,
The same thing has happened here. They've brought in all kinds of irrigation supplies I guess without doing any research( imagine that!). My JDL guys just shake their heads :nono: We've got a big time local company called Keeling and we also have Ewing. Both major players that have been here forever with expertise in irrigation. Meanwhile, there's not another Chem/Fert supplier for at least 60 miles in any one direction. And JDL corporate keeps asking my reps why they aren't selling more irrigation supplies :hammerhead: I think someone never told them who "buttered" Lesco's bread for years. I believe the saying goes" It's hard to soar like an eagle when you're lead by a bunch of turkey's."

KACYDS
01-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Ted,

Whose working in the JDL/Lesco now, in the Maumelle store?

Use to be Kent - short guy, mustache, glasses.

Ric
01-10-2009, 06:46 PM
yo

I bad mouthed Lesco for years. I am actually starting to buy from them again. I pick my poison, I don't buy everything from them. But there are a few Items they are competitive on and why not keep an open line with all suppliers. Today's prices are so volatile that I believe you need to be with many different suppliers.

KACYDS
01-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Today's prices are so volatile that I believe you need to be with many different suppliers.

Ric,

I couldn't agree more. You need to shop prices, to keep everyone honest. IMO

ted putnam
01-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Ted,

Whose working in the JDL/Lesco now, in the Maumelle store?

Use to be Kent - short guy, mustache, glasses.

You knew Kent Crutchfield...cool. Greg Scott is now the manager. I've known him for years also. Kent was a big Civil War re-enactor. His wife was the Ag teacher at a local school. She got a job with the National HQ of the FFA somewhere in Indiana. He got a job up there on a farm that farms like they did in the 1800's for tourists. You know costumes, horse drawn plows, all that stuff. Basically his dream job.

tlg
01-10-2009, 07:20 PM
"Anybody that thinks were going back to prices of a few years back anytime soon needs a reality check."

??? You might want to make another call to somebody else. Prices have already fallen by almost half from last fall for 20-0-0 or higher and they are going lower. Commodity prices have collapsed and its going to get alot worse. This is a bad recession and prices are falling even faster then when they went up.

Good Luck

Let's just say I did my due diligence. My insight is based on the fact that there is a large supply of fertilizer that was produced when raw materials were at an all time high ( last summer). A large amount of this product is still sitting in warehouses waiting to fill spring orders. Until the current supply moves out I don't believe a drastic price cut will occur. Once orders are placed and deliveries are made then and only then will prices decline. The " reality check that I refer to is that given the current market, everything I see points to a temporary price drop. Natural gas will still be high, demand will go up as soon as orders are placed and crude oil will make a comeback ( it's already moving up). As I stated before I don't think we will see prices of a few years ago. You stated 20-0-0 selling for 50% less than last summer. I believe it, as I have seen some dramatic decreases from last summer. Do I think we will see $9.00 a bag urea anytime soon. I doubt it. JMO

whoopassonthebluegrass
01-10-2009, 08:07 PM
...Until the current supply moves out I don't believe a drastic price cut will occur. Once orders are placed and deliveries are made then and only then will prices decline...

Yeah, so place your friggin' orders people!

(So I can wait till the last second and get the lower priced stuff.)

JDUtah
01-10-2009, 09:56 PM

lol :laugh::laugh:

KACYDS
01-10-2009, 10:58 PM

Whoop,

When are you planning on ordering....................

So I can order mine after you..............lol:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Grassyknoll99
01-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Let's just say I did my due diligence. My insight is based on the fact that there is a large supply of fertilizer that was produced when raw materials were at an all time high ( last summer). A large amount of this product is still sitting in warehouses waiting to fill spring orders. Until the current supply moves out I don't believe a drastic price cut will occur. Once orders are placed and deliveries are made then and only then will prices decline. The " reality check that I refer to is that given the current market, everything I see points to a temporary price drop. Natural gas will still be high, demand will go up as soon as orders are placed and crude oil will make a comeback ( it's already moving up). As I stated before I don't think we will see prices of a few years ago. You stated 20-0-0 selling for 50% less than last summer. I believe it, as I have seen some dramatic decreases from last summer. Do I think we will see $9.00 a bag urea anytime soon. I doubt it. JMO

Ive learned to never say never in all the businesses I have been involved. Many of these suppliers are publicly traded and they have to move product no matter what they paid to produce it. They are beholden to shareholders. They cannot wait for their price anymore. The Economy has changed drastically.

The same 24 -26 dollar bag is now being offered for $13-17 a bag and no one is buying that I have talked to in this area. Nat Gas has been cut by more than half since July and we all know where oil is at. Down another 12%(40 barrel from 148) this week after the Economy lost another 500k jobs. Gas at 1.80 around here and the Country is driving less then at 4 bucks a gallon.

The bubble in commodities has popped (other than gold) and fertilizer is not immune. It is going down more IMHO.

Good Luck

Hang tough to all,you will get your price.

rcreech
01-11-2009, 04:31 PM
I wasn't going to say anything...as this whole fert thing has been totally unpredictable just as gas!

I will just tell you what I heard on Friday with my own two ears.

I was dealing with a large fert dealer in my area on Friday as he buys seed from me.

He literally told me that he was paying more for 28-0-0 then he was two weeks ago.

He thinks it has bottomed out...but this same guy also thought Pot would hit a $1200, and it topped out around $880.

He and nobody else knows...but all I can tell you is he is paying more now then two weeks prior and that is in black and white.

I would say buy sooner then later, but who knows.

Just glad I don't have to worry about it! :)

All I can say is good luck...and don't try and buy at the lowest point as you may get caught with your pants down.

Maybe the best way to cover your tail is buy in parts. But 25% at a time and ride the market and look for a good avg. If it goes down you are out a little but if it goes up...you are partly covered. I don't know...just an idea of what I would do if in a situation to buy!

americanlawn
01-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Our last order from JDL = $1710.00 Ebay price = $175.00

That's nearly ten times the market price. Why?

rscvp, thanks

whoopassonthebluegrass
01-11-2009, 07:39 PM

rscvp, thanks

What product(s) are you referencing, Larry?

turf hokie
01-11-2009, 08:09 PM

And what was that ebay price delivered??

Also, out of my pricing JDL is the cheapest at least from the quotes that I have in front of me. I wonder why it is so different elsewhere???

rcreech
01-11-2009, 09:02 PM

rscvp, thanks

Hey Larry!

Yea...what was you comparing?

If that product doesn't work or you have a problem...who you gonna call?

Ric
01-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Hey Larry!

Yea...what was you comparing?

If that product doesn't work or you have a problem...who you gonna call?

rcreech

I believe Larry has been sniffing the Dursban again. He has 30 years experience with Dursban you know.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-12-2009, 10:51 AM
that was funny ric ^

Ric
01-12-2009, 11:00 AM
that was funny ric ^

Dusty

Glad you liked it. I been waiting for the right opportunity to post that. I had to tie my hand down several time before but this seemed toooo good to pass up.

sprayboy
01-12-2009, 11:25 AM
rcreech

I believe Larry has been sniffing the Dursban again. He has 30 years experience with Dursban you know.

That was good chit.............comment and Dursban

whoopassonthebluegrass
01-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Ric, I think you scheme to nail Larry like Plankton schemes to get the Krabby Patty recipe. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Grassmechanic
01-12-2009, 12:29 PM
In this day and age when dealing with companies that won't go the extra mile or sales reps that don't come threw it's good to know that JDL has more than exceeded my expectations for good customer service. My JDL sales rep has the honesty and integrity that one always hopes for. Time and time again she has proven why I continue to buy from JDL-Lesco. The last year and a half have been unpredictable to say the least regarding fert cost . It's good to know that I was getting straight answers throughout these unprecedented economic times. The JDL - LESCO merger left a lot of uncertainty and it took some time to get adjusted to. I like what I have seen so far and I'm confident that JDL management and my local service center sales rep will continue to provide great service. I just wanted to thank her and JDL. This ones for you!:drinkup:

I'd like to know the Lesco center you're dealing with. My center has folks that are personable, but they lack somewhat on the knowledge end. Lesco went downhill after JDL, IMO. I use them sparingly as they won't carry SOP. If you want great service and knowledgable folks, you really need to try Turfgrass, Inc. All thier sales staff are degreed agronomists.

Ric
01-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Ric, I think you scheme to nail Larry like Plankton schemes to get the Krabby Patty recipe. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Whoopass

Actually I have been pretty good about overlooking Larry's misinformation and foolish posts lately. It is not my job to teach special education and that why I don't correct your posts either. But this one was tooooo good to pass up.

tlg
01-12-2009, 03:06 PM
I'd like to know the Lesco center you're dealing with. My center has folks that are personable, but they lack somewhat on the knowledge end. Lesco went downhill after JDL, IMO. I use them sparingly as they won't carry SOP. If you want great service and knowledgable folks, you really need to try Turfgrass, Inc. All thier sales staff are degreed agronomists.

Sorry to hear that. All I can say is that I have always been satisfied with the people I have dealt with at Lesco. The person Iv'e dealt with over the last few years is a Lesco turned JDL employee. Customer service has always been top quality. If I need something they sell it gets to me ASAP. I also don't expect them to carry everything I need. While knowledge and experience go hand and hand with good customer service, I have confidence that if I needed questions answered I would get it. I been in this industry for 30 years. A large part of that time in residential lawn care and about five years in golf course care. I'll be the first to admit I don't know it all, so if somebody I'm dealing with dosen't know the answer I won't hold that against them. As far as Lesco going downhill after JDL I have not seen it. The point of my original post was to thank the my JDL store for great service and being true to their word on my early order. I'm not down playing your experiences with JDL. I'm sure your comments are sincere. Mine are as well.

whoopassonthebluegrass
01-12-2009, 03:24 PM
It is not my job to teach special education and that why I don't correct your posts either.

What is there to correct? Since when do I post anything of worth on here? :dancing:

JDUtah
01-12-2009, 03:50 PM

I think it was Larry who learned door hanger invoice bags are cheaper on ebay... 10 times markup is what he mentioned in that thread if I remember right...

Lesco (JDL) manufactures their fertilizer no? Pesticide? I doubt they manufacture their bags.

Do we charge our customers the same markup for our upsell products?

When shopping you win some you loose some... Keep an open eye. I like our local JDL guys.

Ric
01-12-2009, 07:55 PM
What is there to correct? Since when do I post anything of worth on here? :dancing:

Thank you for making my point

whoopassonthebluegrass
01-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Thank you for making my point

Hey, I ain't ashamed of it. I'm just here for the fun and social networking 98% of the time.

Fert33
01-12-2009, 08:50 PM
For those of you that have locked in there price and got in your early order with JDL, have you gotten any calls on Dimension prices dropping in the last five days?

turf hokie
01-12-2009, 08:54 PM
For those of you that have locked in there price and got in your early order with JDL, have you gotten any calls on Dimension prices dropping in the last five days?

I have gotten prices but not ordered anything yet, but no prices have not come down and honestly I dont expect them to, I believe the prices we are getting now are as low as we are going to see.

JDUtah
01-12-2009, 09:03 PM
I have gotten prices but not ordered anything yet, but no prices have not come down and honestly I dont expect them to, I believe the prices we are getting now are as low as we are going to see.

I would prolly agree with this. If everyone is holding out then prices drop(ed). BUT people WILL buy again. Demand WILL increase again and when it does, prices will NOT keep dropping.

I bet now is the good buy time.

turfsolutions
01-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Every commodity under the sun has dropped. Most by more than 50% so how is fert not going to drop as well? Potash corp was down another 10% today trading at around 74 off from its last year high of 240 points. Hang in there, prices will drop to normal levels.

rcreech
01-13-2009, 07:33 AM
Every commodity under the sun has dropped. Most by more than 50% so how is fert not going to drop as well? Potash corp was down another 10% today trading at around 74 off from its last year high of 240 points. Hang in there, prices will drop to normal levels.

I dunna know!

I still think I would buy a little now just in case just to spread some risk!

Ric
01-13-2009, 10:48 AM

Turf

Don't be so sure Supply Side Economics are going into effect with Potash. Mosaic is reported to be laying off a large number of production employees. The $ 600 a ton price isn't high enough to keep their Billion USD per quarter profit margin.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/business/090112/b0112179A.html

ted putnam
01-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Turf

Don't be so sure Supply Side Economics are going into effect with Potash. Mosaic is reported to be laying off a large number of production employees. The $ 600 a ton price isn't high enough to keep their Billion USD per quarter profit margin.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/business/090112/b0112179A.html

Surely they wouldn't try to keep the price as high as they possibly can by cutting production(nevermind true demand or potential demand) It sounds like the economy has slapped some corporate "fat cats" in the face and now they don't want to give up their cup cakes and twinkies...to hell with the common person that needs to keep their job. What a bunch of BS!

Gatewayuser
01-13-2009, 11:24 AM
I haven't read the million posts but I just wanted to something regarding the switch of Lesco to JD.
I have found that after the switch it's better! They have been keeping me updated on prices for fertilizer and salt very well. When JD came in they got rid of the jokers that were there before which was the reason why I quit buying there in the 1st place.

You guys are going to laugh about this but I am willing to pay the extra cost for the plastic bags opposed to the god awful paper.

They are surprisingly cheaper this year, get prices on fert because it went down $6 a bag!!! Starter fert took a decent plunge too. Right now salt should be going up but it went down .04 cents a bag. :dizzy:

They are working on researching some different products for me right now which they wouldn't have done before unless I begged them.

Also check with them about Lesco equipment because they were going to sell me a brand new belt drive 48 inch for $1800 and a 54" hydro with sulky and 300hrs for 1500. thinking about buying the 54" but who knows.

Just my two cents, take it or leave it.

grassguy_
01-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Surely they wouldn't try to keep the price as high as they possibly can by cutting production(nevermind true demand or potential demand) It sounds like the economy has slapped some corporate "fat cats" in the face and now they don't want to give up their cup cakes and twinkies...to hell with the common person that needs to keep their job. What a bunch of BS!

I AGREE TED! The economy sure has slapped more than a few of them! Nothing seems to go off supply and demand anymore! I was watching 60 minutesthe other night and had to laugh at how speculators drove the price of oil sky high in the commodities market, and the price was going through the roof while the supply was increasing as well and the demand dropping out! Buy now?.... hold off buying?...i think no matter what we do, we're going to continue to get screwed! Was reading an article on a financial web site basically stating that if you thought $4.00+ a gallon fuel was terrible last summer, wait until the year end of 2009 or early 2010 it will surpass that!

whoopassonthebluegrass
01-13-2009, 12:03 PM
...Was reading an article on a financial web site basically stating that if you thought $4.00+ a gallon fuel was terrible last summer, wait until the year end of 2009 or early 2010 it will surpass that!

What? I thought we elected Obama to make all our worries go away!

turfsolutions
01-13-2009, 12:28 PM
I AGREE TED! The economy sure has slapped more than a few of them! Nothing seems to go off supply and demand anymore! I was watching 60 minutesthe other night and had to laugh at how speculators drove the price of oil sky high in the commodities market, and the price was going through the roof while the supply was increasing as well and the demand dropping out! Buy now?.... hold off buying?...i think no matter what we do, we're going to continue to get screwed! Was reading an article on a financial web site basically stating that if you thought $4.00+ a gallon fuel was terrible last summer, wait until the year end of 2009 or early 2010 it will surpass that!

Regulations will most likely be put back in place to keep prices in line with supply and demand. That isn't to say that prices won't go up, but at least in a normal rate. Demand will continue to rise as the worlds economies get back on track and oil supply's will be limited as production has most likely peaked world wide. I personally don't think we will see 4.00 a gallon this summer, I have heard mid 2's which is fine. Too many investers got duped to fall for it again so soon. Time will tell.

KACYDS
01-13-2009, 02:35 PM
What? I thought we elected Obama to make all our worries go away!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ric
01-13-2009, 06:04 PM

Ted

You live a very sheltered life. Hedge funds and Carlton group might be some key words you might want to check out.

americanlawn
01-13-2009, 06:17 PM
Our invoice was $1710.00 for 10,000 clear plastic doorknob bags. Ebay sells 'em for about 1/10th the cost. oooops! Never again.

With total respect to LESCO, they are not in the business to sell plastic bags. So it was my fault (as well as the "management companies" who analyzed our books). Maybe I'll start my own management company? :laugh:

rcreech

ted putnam
01-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Ted

You live a very sheltered life. Hedge funds and Carlton group might be some key words you might want to check out.

Ric, you are very correct. Though I have a degree in business, I do not spend time investigating how and why large corporations are run the way they are run. I also leave the investing I do to the professionals at Edward Jones and A.G Edwards. Probably not very smart on my part I'll admit... My minor was in Economics not Finance.

Ric
01-13-2009, 09:31 PM
Ric, you are very correct. Though I have a degree in business, I do not spend time investigating how and why large corporations are run the way they are run. I also leave the investing I do to the professionals at Edward Jones and A.G Edwards. Probably not very smart on my part I'll admit... My minor was in Economics not Finance.

Ted

With my investments in the tank, I should be the last one to give investment advice. But watch your broker for management fees. Those guys make more money from your money than you do.

Ric
01-14-2009, 12:30 AM
Ted

Ted

If you really want to understand our economy then you might want to learn about Derivative finance and Ken Griffin. Ken Griffin has more price setting power than the federal government in the form of Futures and Hedge Funds. While no one in the green industry even knows who Ken Griffin is, He is making money on just about every bag of fertilizer sold by controlling the commodities market by Derivative finance of Future prices. With Derivative finance he makes a fortune every time the price goes up. At the same time, if the price crashes he loses very little. The guy makes over a Billion Dollars a year.

rcreech
01-14-2009, 07:33 AM
I know absolutly NOTHING about the "markets".

I usually do a horrible job!

One fella said this but I can't remember his name...but I think I may start living by it!

"When people are fearful be greedy...and when people are greedy be fearful"

If you think about it, everything usually does the opposite of what the largest majority thinks is going to happen!

Makes so much sense!!!

DUSTYCEDAR
01-14-2009, 09:35 AM
Here is a tip paper trade till you get the hang of it

Ric
01-14-2009, 12:26 PM
I know absolutly NOTHING about the "markets".

I usually do a horrible job!

One fella said this but I can't remember his name...but I think I may start living by it!

"When people are fearful be greedy...and when people are greedy be fearful"

If you think about it, everything usually does the opposite of what the largest majority thinks is going to happen!

Makes so much sense!!!

rcreech

I wished I never knew anything about the market. My Ex Wife is living high on the hog because of the market while I eat beans. But that has more to do with Lawyers and courts. BTW That is how I got into the lawn care business, out of a need to feed myself. Be very fearful of corporate greedy for that is what our world wide recession is all about. Globalization was tried once before by the great powers of the world at the end of the 19th century. It failed then and history is repeating itself again in the 21th century. The big difference now is the average Chinese work class now loans about 33% of are national debt to the federal Government. These people live below their means and invest heavily. Our Culture Lives way above our means on the investment and credit from these 3rd world workers. Red Line or Sub Prime Credit was the child of Corporate Greed. Something has got to give.

Marcos
01-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Your local Deere/Lesco salesman have almost no control over skid quantity and larger fertilizer & seed pricing like they did maybe 4 to 5 years ago, certainly before Deere bought them in 2007.
The price IS the price.....that's it.

It's ridiculous! The people you see in these stores are just a bunch of globalist John Deere puppets now.

Most of the better qualified Lesco salesmen/tech people left years ago, only to be replaced by a bunch of id'yot college grads, many of which seldom take their eyes away from the internet to make eye contact with you!

JDUtah
01-14-2009, 04:41 PM
Your local Deere/Lesco salesman have almost no control over skid quantity and larger fertilizer & seed pricing like they did maybe 4 to 5 years ago, certainly before Deere bought them in 2007.
The price IS the price.....that's it.

It's ridiculous! The people you see in these stores are just a bunch of globalist John Deere puppets now.

Most of the better qualified Lesco salesmen/tech people left years ago, only to be replaced by a bunch of id'yot college grads, many of which seldom take their eyes away from the internet to make eye contact with you!

Well that was a blanket statement.

americanlawn
01-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Both my original (local) LESCO friends are still here (now JDL). If it were not for them, I probably would not buy from JDL much at all. JDL needs to improve on fert prices & shipping. (IMO). UAP has taken much of the fert market here. I will buy from "my LESCO frineds" as much as possible, but price & prompt shipping has shifted most of our business to UAP.

FdLLawnMan
01-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Both my original (local) LESCO friends are still here (now JDL). If it were not for them, I probably would not buy from JDL much at all. JDL needs to improve on fert prices & shipping. (IMO). UAP has taken much of the fert market here. I will buy from "my LESCO frineds" as much as possible, but price & prompt shipping has shifted most of our business to UAP.

Well Larry, my JDL still beats the price of the local rep who gets their fertilizer from the same place that UAP does, EC Grow in Eau Claire, Wi. Plus, JDL has a store that UAP does not have. My closest UAP sales guy is more than 1.5 hours away. I am glad that UAP works for you and I have been looking around, but JDL still gets the majority of my business.

americanlawn
01-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Seems EC Grow is a big factor. UAP is our best price. We shopped LESCO (JDL) and others. PM me if you want cuz I got recent prices from UAP on many different fert formulations. Seems fert costs are cheaper once we get through the fert/pre rouind one thing.

How's the T3000? We got our 2nd unit. Can't wait to make money after the -40 wind chills subside. :laugh:

Well Larry, my JDL still beats the price of the local rep who gets their fertilizer from the same place that UAP does, EC Grow in Eau Claire, Wi. Plus, JDL has a store that UAP does not have. My closest UAP sales guy is more than 1.5 hours away. I am glad that UAP works for you and I have been looking around, but JDL still gets the majority of my business.