PDA

View Full Version : diesel truck question

f150 with bobcat
01-09-2009, 11:57 PM
i plan to buy a new full size truck in june a d-max hopefully im a fireman and sometimes get called at akward hours ie 2:30 am we have had some cold weather below freezing anyway my question is can a diesel truck get up and go at an akward time overnight in below freezing temperatures nd drive without any problems the firehouse is under 3 miles in distance

any comments would be greatly appreciated

TXNSLighting
01-10-2009, 12:09 AM
It is frowned upon. But i am guilty of doin it here and there. If its a newer one then yeh just dont rag on it real hard. Cummins are the best for doing this.

JB1
01-10-2009, 12:09 AM
just make sure you plug it in at night.

gobblet
01-10-2009, 12:12 AM
plugged in or not it's a slow going in the northeast no matter what, it's best to let it warm up 10-15 minutes.

TXNSLighting
01-10-2009, 12:16 AM
plugged in or not it's a slow going in the northeast no matter what, it's best to let it warm up 10-15 minutes.

Its not good to let new diesels idle for that long.

f150 with bobcat
01-10-2009, 12:21 AM
well this will be my first diesel when i go to look at the truck do i have to special order a plug will the plug make a differnce can i damaged the truck by getting up and going in cold weather

WH401
01-10-2009, 12:49 AM
Depends on what you mean by "get up and go", do you mean flooring it or like 2k RPM? I love diesel's and suggest them to everyone, but if the distance is only 3 miles and you need to be able to "get up and go", a gasser would probably be better suited for you. The temp. needle on the diesel probably won't even move before you get to the station and they don't have the same power or acceleration when their dead cold as they do when there already warmed up.

Also, the plug he is referring to is the block heater. It's a heater that runs into the side of the block to specifically heat the coolant, but will also heat the other parts of the engine as well. Most truck's sent to dealer's in northern climate come with them from the factory, but you can have them installed at the dealer or you can do it yourself. Make sure you get one if you get the diesel.

f150 with bobcat
01-10-2009, 01:03 AM
thank you for the info i want a diesel beacuse i plan to start a trash hauling buisness using dump trailers and i wanted to get a truck with some power so will the plug add more value to the truck if it doesnt come installed how much will it run me

TXNSLighting
01-10-2009, 01:04 AM
Its maybe a $100 add on, but it will be on there. Mine has one and its a southern truck.

f150 with bobcat
01-10-2009, 01:06 AM
ok can any damage be done by driving it cold

talus
01-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Under 100 bucks if you do it yourself. I'm going by ford prices. Very easy to do, don't sweat it.

TXNSLighting
01-10-2009, 01:14 AM
ok can any damage be done by driving it cold

Like we have all said yeh its not good for it...

WH401
01-10-2009, 01:27 AM
Yeah you'll do damage, but if your going to get the diesel than your going to need to be easy on it while it's still heating up. Just off the top of my head, you could probably blow a freeze plug out the block by running it hard when it's cold. Also with such a short trip, that's going to be considered as severe service on the engine so you'll need to change the oil more often.

westcoh
01-10-2009, 01:33 AM
Like everyone has said it's definitely not good to be driving it hard when it's cold. If your dead-set on getting the diesel, the good thing is the duramaxes do start easy even in below-freezing temperatures. Get a remote-start for it too, and turn the elevated idle on, that way you can let it warm up for a bit anyways before you get out the door.

f150 with bobcat
01-10-2009, 01:42 AM
thanks for all the help wat else should i know about d-max before i go and by it what is a preventative maintinence bill usually run

Valk
01-10-2009, 01:48 AM
Just drive your Ford F-150 for those cold-night emergency calls.

f150 with bobcat
01-10-2009, 01:55 AM
the f150 will be replaced with this new truck

wellbuilt
01-10-2009, 01:59 AM
I think you will be fine . I use am-soil synthetic oil and it makes it easy starting . You could plug it in and it would be OK I would let it warm up for 2 mins but if your going to a fire ? I'm north of you and its colder here and Ive never plugged in any of my trucks or equipment . All my fords came with heaters. I dropped a trailer in Emerson today for a friend of mine ,hes redoing a bath room . I rent out trailers all the time . Is there a dump down there now ? Where are you planing on dumping . If your planning on driving any distance i would get DRW truck. The 12000 lb trailers get squirmy on a regular srw truck . Also try to get a 21/2" hitch. I have a 12000lb winch on my truck for sucking my self out of peoples yards. If it rains you cant pull the can out. With out 4x4 you don't stand much chance . I use my diesel Excursion with a lift and 35" tires & LS to pull 2 trailers to day and i was still stuck . If your looking for used trailers there should be some going for sale next month . I like 7x12 12000lb John

f150 with bobcat
01-10-2009, 02:10 AM
i think i wil be ok too we had an overnite fire a few weeks ago and i only was in the car for 4 mins tops so if i let it warm up i think going 50 for a few minutes wont kill it i plan to dump at miele in closter i am interested in used trailers but i need to get the truck first

Gravel Rat
01-10-2009, 05:21 AM
Just think of it this way how well do you move when your cold :laugh:

Leave the truck plugged in just when you leave don't forget to unplug before you jump into the truck in a hurry :hammerhead:

WH401
01-10-2009, 10:27 AM
How fast your going isn't so much the problem as how far your mashing the accelerator down when it's cold is. Gravel Rat's analogy is dead on. Say you've been sleeping for 8 hrs, your dead tired, its cold as hell out, and as soon as that alarm goes off your expected to just leap up and start off in a dead sprint as fast as you can. How much would you like that?

R.L. Hale Landscaping LLC
01-10-2009, 10:56 AM
i have a 2006 duramax and have never plugged it in. they can start well below 0 without being plugged in. the older 7.3 fords start hard when in the cold. never a problem with the dmax

wellbuilt
01-10-2009, 11:26 AM
i think i wil be ok too we had an overnite fire a few weeks ago and i only was in the car for 4 mins tops so if i let it warm up i think going 50 for a few minutes wont kill it i plan to dump at miele in closter i am interested in used trailers but i need to get the truck first

A few years ago Mieles started turning me away , the guys would guess at your weight (No scale) some times it would cost 40 bucks some times $140. I guess they are running full bore again . Is the place in west wood still open ? There is a place in sloatsburg NY up RT 17 . but you have to doge NY and NJ /DOT its a pita . John

bobcat_ron
01-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Most new diesels have an engine protection system that doesn't allow 100% throttle response when cold, even over revving can't be done on my Powerstroke.

A gasser is still best, it would still take 10 seconds to heat up the glow plugs with out a block heater on, and that's 10 seconds of precious haul-ass-pedal-to-the-floor action you could be getting, spitting rooster tails of gravel and mud in the air and smoking the rear end on the pavement as you make your glorious gallop to the fire hall to rescue a beautiful damsel in distress or just poor Mr. Pookie stuck in a tree.

f150 with bobcat
01-10-2009, 12:18 PM
i think if i plug it in at nite it will be fine and we really dont get overnite calls and those are usually the good ones. i worked for guy who wood go and dump and they wood guess the load i saw as high as 250 i want to look into waste management with buying a dump sticker and getting weighed then dumping

D&B Sharp Finish
01-10-2009, 04:19 PM
As long as you keep it under 2,000RPM's you should be fine. But be sure to run it HARD whenever you get a chance, the new motors with the DPF's need to be run hard so they get hot and burn all the crap out of the EGR and DPF.

f150 with bobcat
01-10-2009, 04:30 PM
wats a preventitive maintinence bill ie oil chnge filters etc what kind of exhaust is good to get

f150 with bobcat
01-10-2009, 04:31 PM
ballpark price on bill

nosparkplugs
01-10-2009, 05:06 PM
i plan to buy a new full size truck in june a d-max hopefully im a fireman and sometimes get called at akward hours ie 2:30 am we have had some cold weather below freezing anyway my question is can a diesel truck get up and go at an akward time overnight in below freezing temperatures nd drive without any problems the firehouse is under 3 miles in distance

The Duramax has glowplugs, and most recently the addition of an air intake grid to add in starting. Duramax is one of the hardest diesels to start in cold weather

Real diesels have no glow plugs:clapping:

f150 with bobcat
01-10-2009, 05:19 PM
someone else here has a duramax and said it was one of the best cold starters also im not talking below 0 im talking in the high 20's

TXNSLighting
01-10-2009, 05:20 PM
As long as you keep it under 2,000RPM's you should be fine. But be sure to run it HARD whenever you get a chance, the new motors with the DPF's need to be run hard so they get hot and burn all the crap out of the EGR and DPF.

uh no not quite.

TXNSLighting
01-10-2009, 05:22 PM
The Duramax has glowplugs, and most recently the addition of an air intake grid to add in starting. Duramax is one of the hardest diesels to start in cold weather

Not quite bud. I started mine the other day when it was 15 and it fired right up. These newer ones are great for start up.

IA_James
01-10-2009, 05:22 PM
High 20s=Not cold. If it won't start then, you've got something else going on.

mybowtie
01-10-2009, 05:26 PM

Im sorry but the dmax is known for its easy starting in cold weather...my glow light stays on for 3 sec in 0* weather, and starts within 2 sec.

For the OP...check out dieselplace.com You will find answers to all your Q's...

nosparkplugs
01-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Not quite bud. I started mine the other day when it was 15 and it fired right up. These newer ones are great for start up.

Of course it will fire up:laugh: the fact it requires glowplugs means it will not fire without glowplugs, and the addition of the grid heater was necessary as gowplugs fail. Glowplugs? their the diesel version of "sparkplugs"

mybowtie
01-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Of course it will fire up:laugh: the fact it requires glowplugs means it will not fire without glowplugs, and the addition of the grid heater was necessary as gowplugs fail. Glowplugs? their the diesel version of "sparkplugs"

Then why did u say the dmax was the hardest diesel to start? Friends powerjokes need to be pluged in and STILL have a harder time starting then the dmax without it pluged in...My 2002 powerjoke was a pita to start in anything under 20*.

IA_James
01-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Walk by a Powerstroke with an ice cream cone=won't start. Kinda funny, when it gets really cold (-20 to -30) the diesels in this order are Cummins, Duramax, and Powerstroke. The strokes don't make it out until about noon when it warms up a little. Normally it's some of everything, with Cummins trucks being the fewest.

mybowtie
01-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Walk by a Powerstroke with an ice cream cone=won't start. Kinda funny, when it gets really cold (-20 to -30) the diesels in this order are Cummins, Duramax, and Powerstroke. The strokes don't make it out until about noon when it warms up a little. Normally it's some of everything, with Cummins trucks being the fewest.

lol.........was 5* here this morning...dmax started up within 2 turns...My powerjoke wouldnt even have thought about starting........Never owned a cummings, so cant comment about them...:usflag:

westcoh
01-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Of all the diesel engines I've had, the duramax has been the best starting in cold weather. I've had it out in -20 farenheit weather, not even plugged in and it'll fire right up. My 7.3 powerstroke was the worst for starting in the cold.

nosparkplugs
01-10-2009, 05:49 PM
The Duramax is not the easiest or the hardest to start. I agree on the 7.3L Powerstoke mine was tough to start here in Tennessee. Obviously this thread shows brand loyalty causes you to give up many important fundemental features in one of most important parts of a truck????? the engine:hammerhead:

coolluv
01-10-2009, 06:03 PM
The Duramax is not the easiest or the hardest to start. I agree on the 7.3L Powerstoke mine was tough to start here in Tennessee. Obviously this thread shows brand loyalty causes you to give up many important fundemental features in one of most important parts of a truck????? the engine:hammerhead:

Yeah transmission failure and rear end failure don't really matter as long as that Cummings starts right up.:laugh: At least you can listen to it pur like a kitten in the driveway.:laugh:

Dave...

nosparkplugs
01-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Yeah transmission failure and rear end failure don't really matter as long as that Cummings starts right up.:laugh: At least you can listen to it pur like a kitten in the driveway.:laugh:

Dave...

My 02 7.3L took out the 4R100 before 40,000 miles too:dizzy:, Only a Ford has left me on the side of the road. I agree 100% my Cummins is eating my 47RE up right now with 76,976 miles of heavy towing, it's been going for some time about 15,000 miles ago, but guess what I'm still driving it:laugh:, Only in a Dodge. Not many Dodge trucks can handle the Cummins anyway, so the transmission is a known weak point for all of us:hammerhead:

It's easier to make any slushbox bulletproof. What you got running it is what counts

mybowtie
01-10-2009, 06:25 PM

So enlighten us dmax owners.....what "important fundemental features" are they lacking..

Lets us know oh cummings lover...........

WH401
01-10-2009, 06:30 PM
someone else here has a duramax and said it was one of the best cold starters also im not talking below 0 im talking in the high 20's

All 3 engines will start down that low without a problem. It's not til' you get to the negative's that you start running into problem's. Synthetic oil will help this a lot as well as plugging the truck up. No matter whether people say they plug there truck up or people boast about how they don't need to, plugging it up is one of the best things you can do. It will run much better from the get go and the engine & fluids are already heated.

I see you have an F-150. Not that I have a problem with the Duramax or anything, but most people tend to stay with certain brands if they have been happy with them. What made you want a d-max?

BTW, those of you that keep saying "Cummings", it's "Cummins".:hammerhead:

mybowtie
01-10-2009, 06:33 PM
All 3 engines will start down that low without a problem. It's not til' you get to the negative's that you start running into problem's. Synthetic oil will help this a lot as well as plugging the truck up. No matter whether people say they plug there truck up or people boast about how they don't need to, plugging it up is one of the best things you can do. It will run much better from the get go and the engine & fluids are already heated.

I see you have an F-150. Not that I have a problem with the Duramax or anything, but most people tend to stay with certain brands if they have been happy with them. What made you want a d-max?

BTW, those of you that keep saying "Cummings", it's "Cummins".:hammerhead:

Sorry for the cummings;)....just a spelling habit:usflag:

f150 with bobcat
01-10-2009, 06:38 PM
it was given as my first car i want something new and i really want a diesel and i really like the new chevys so i put one and one together i know people with all three types of engines

WH401
01-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Makes sense then. As long as your sensible with it, maintain it like anything else mechanical, and don't floorboard it on cold starts, then it will serve you well.

f150 with bobcat
01-10-2009, 06:52 PM
i really dont floorboard drive in general all i wanted to know is that if i gotta get up and go at 230am and its cold out will the truck be ok

nosparkplugs
01-10-2009, 07:07 PM
So enlighten us dmax owners.....what "important fundemental features" are they lacking..

Lets us know oh cummings lover...........

When anything negative is pointed out? it tends to bring the :cry:baby's out

The Duramax is the diesel for the masses. it's V8 design appeals to the instant gratification of the V8 gas lover

The Powerstroke & Duramax have changed how many times since their inception. In 2009 the Duramax is a great diesel; however it was a up hill battle. The Duramax has know weak internals

The Cummins ISB internally has remained unchanged over the years. All the upgrades have been made to meet EPA emission standards. Fundamentally the in-line diesel is easier to maintain 45% less moving parts to wear or fail. No glow plugs, easy fuel filter changes & oil change. the Cummins has the longest OEM intervals between oil changes.

Yah you would be "Cummings" if you owned one:laugh:

coolluv
01-10-2009, 07:22 PM
When anything negative is pointed out? it tends to bring the :cry:baby's out

The Duramax is the diesel for the masses. it's V8 design appeals to the instant gratification of the V8 gas lover

The Powerstroke & Duramax have changed how many times since their inception. In 2009 the Duramax is a great diesel; however it was a up hill battle. The Duramax has know weak internals

The Cummins ISB internally has remained unchanged over the years. All the upgrades have been made to meet EPA emission standards. Fundamentally the in-line diesel is easier to maintain 45% less moving parts to wear or fail. No glow plugs, easy fuel filter changes & oil change. the Cummins has the longest OEM intervals between oil changes.

Yah you would be "Cummings" if you owned one:laugh:

I'm curious as to the changes since inception of the Duramax that you mention. We all know the Cummings or Cummins is a tried and true awesome engine. But I think the Duramax has proven to be a very good engine. I thought the only changes to the Duramax in the last few years had to do with emissions.

Dave...

mybowtie
01-10-2009, 08:00 PM
nosparkplugs....
And You bash people for being brand loyal???...Sounds like anyone with a PS or DA is driving a inferior product to your Dodge...Sorry I wouldnt even look at a dodge when I shoped for a diesel....WAY to many problems/breakdown.
Not biuld as hd as the Gm or Ford...Ford was 2nd on my list, but with all the issues they had with the engine over the last few yrs Gm was the best choice...

So the Dmax is the diesel for the masses??...And the "cummins"(happy:))isn't??

Have You owned a D/A?? Just woundering if you have personal experance with one, or if your brand loyalty is blinding you!!!!!!!!

mybowtie
01-10-2009, 08:15 PM
The Cummins ISB internally has remained unchanged over the years. All the upgrades have been made to meet EPA emission standards. :

Cummins unchanged????? Common ...:hammerhead:

1st gen pre '94
2nd gen 5.9L 12v Mechanically injected '94-'97
'98-'02 5.9L 24v electronically injected
3rd gen. 5.9L '03-'07
4th gen 6.7L '08

Ya all emission stuff...funny how a jump form 5.9L to 6.7L can be had by adding emissions.......:confused:

nosparkplugs
01-10-2009, 08:32 PM
I'm curious as to the changes since inception of the Duramax that you mention. We all know the Cummings or Cummins is a tried and true awesome engine. But I think the Duramax has proven to be a very good engine. I thought the only changes to the Duramax in the last few years had to do with emissions.

Dave...
Before the 6.6L LBZ their was no air intake heater grid, Isuzu knew glowplugs do fail so the heater grid was needed, while the injectors are still very difficult to work on, getting to them has been 95% for the cost at least in the 6.6L Gm moved them to the outside of the head. Also The early Duramax's are know for weak internals rods, and pistons specifically. Also the early LLM's & LB7's had overheating problems or the infamous "Limp mode" problems

Any ASE diesel mechanic whom can or has worked on all three diesels charge the highest rates for the V8 diesels. An will all agree the Cummins is a pleasure to work on when comparing the three Duramax, Powerstroke, Cummins

The Duramax is a great diesel for the masses, Isuzu did a great job of creating a V8 diesel that was quite and powerful. Ironically it has been the louder Cummins ISB that kept many people away or from purchasing Modern diesels. Given a couple years of V8 diesel ownership folks start listening to what some have to say about In-line diesels.

If I Could not have the Cummins ISB I would be drivin the Duramax's, any of them from day one are great motors.

The Cummins ISB is not bulletproof either the 2 generation or first 24 valvers has the Bosch Vp44 fuel injection pump; it was Bosch's answer to then EPA emission standards while smarter & computer controlled than the older Bosch P7100, the VP44 is totally fuel lubricated, and does not like ULSD combined with a know weak stock (LP) or lift pump.

Dodge's are know for eating transmission I agree, but with some aftermarket parts the 47RE/48RE short comings are easily corrected. It's all what you like your going to be fixing something either the transmission or the diesel engine with these trucks:dizzy: their all a POS at some point.

The Duramax from day one was a high pressure Common rail Bosch Cp3 injector pump. Isuzu has made minor changes to the heads, injectors, and finally the internals. The V8 diesels remain dealership addicted diesels in that their a PITA to work on.

nosparkplugs
01-10-2009, 08:48 PM
nosparkplugs....
And You bash people for being brand loyal???...Sounds like anyone with a PS or DA is driving a inferior product to your Dodge...Sorry I wouldnt even look at a dodge when I shoped for a diesel....WAY to many problems/breakdown.
Not biuld as hd as the Gm or Ford...Ford was 2nd on my list, but with all the issues they had with the engine over the last few yrs Gm was the best choice...

So the Dmax is the diesel for the masses??...And the "cummins"(happy:))isn't??

Have You owned a D/A?? Just woundering if you have personal experance with one, or if your brand loyalty is blinding you!!!!!!!!

the 2008 model year rates all three trucks equal, on fit & finish, only now has GM, Ford & Dodge closed the gap on each other, and with the foreign automakers. If Toyota offered the 1 Ton Tundra 8.0l Hino diesel I would be all over it right now.

I don't disagree Dodge trucks have lost many buyers based on their products not the engine. I was raised on GM trucks so I have spend most of my life working on GM trucks V8 gas or 6.2 6.5 diesels:dizzy:; ironically many would say the older GM trucks are better:sleeping:r. Then I tried Ford not the epiphany I expected:laugh:, I will say Dodge has not let me down to date, cannot say that about GM or Ford. NY you get snow; I would not argue that Dodge trucks might rust faster there; since their make out of rusty metal coke cans:laugh:. However here in the south Dodge trucks wear gracefully;). I can from Michigan so, no matter the truck they rusted out before the engines failed.

Dodge, may not be the most refined truck; however mine has served me well better than GM or Ford over the years, and made me lots of money with little "back talk" per say.

mybowtie
01-10-2009, 10:37 PM
rusty coke cans.....lol...belive me the sheet metal on my GM is not much better...rustycans maybee not, but i think the cans might be a tad thicker then the tin on these rigs..;)

i agree all trucks have issues..some worse then others, and many issues are owner induced....The older GM diesels were ok at best:dizzy: with many issues. As with all diesels, the motor will most likely outlast the rest of the truck..

Now that we hijacked the OP's thread :o...I hope he has good luck with whatever brand he chooses....:drinkup:

TXNSLighting
01-11-2009, 12:43 AM
the 2008 model year rates all three trucks equal, on fit & finish, only now has GM, Ford & Dodge closed the gap on each other, and with the foreign automakers. If Toyota offered the 1 Ton Tundra 8.0l Hino diesel I would be all over it right now.

I don't disagree Dodge trucks have lost many buyers based on their products not the engine. I was raised on GM trucks so I have spend most of my life working on GM trucks V8 gas or 6.2 6.5 diesels:dizzy:; ironically many would say the older GM trucks are better:sleeping:r. Then I tried Ford not the epiphany I expected:laugh:, I will say Dodge has not let me down to date, cannot say that about GM or Ford. NY you get snow; I would not argue that Dodge trucks might rust faster there; since their make out of rusty metal coke cans:laugh:. However here in the south Dodge trucks wear gracefully;). I can from Michigan so, no matter the truck they rusted out before the engines failed.

Dodge, may not be the most refined truck; however mine has served me well better than GM or Ford over the years, and made me lots of money with little "back talk" per say.

And heres my issue. You tried one Ford and had a bad experienc. Every truck is not going to be perfect. I tried a Gm and have had a bad experience, but im not ready to write it off. I just wish you wouldnt be closed minded and be willing to try another Ford. I also had 2cummins. The first one was crap, the second one was better but still not as great as i hoped, but i still havent written them off! Im just saying, dont make up your mind off one bad experience.

nosparkplugs
01-11-2009, 01:34 AM
And heres my issue. You tried one Ford and had a bad experienc. Every truck is not going to be perfect. I tried a Gm and have had a bad experience, but im not ready to write it off. I just wish you wouldnt be closed minded and be willing to try another Ford. I also had 2cummins. The first one was crap, the second one was better but still not as great as i hoped, but i still havent written them off! Im just saying, dont make up your mind off one bad experience.

Dodge 4500/5500 will be my next purchase, i would drive a Toyota 1 ton dually with the 8.0L hino diesel before a Chevy or Ford. If I won a Ford or GM truck I would sell it for A Dodge too.

7.3L Powerstroke, 6.2L & 6.5L Gm diesels thats enough V8 diesels nickle & diming me. The Isuzu Duramax is a different beast Gm finally got it right and outsourced their diesel.:waving:

The main reason i don't like the V8 diesels is their all a PITA to maintain. If you run your diesels right you should only have to change the fuel filter with ease, and the Duramax filter engineer needs to be shoot in the melon:laugh:, and change the oil if your on the conventional schedule.
The Duramax has and requires glow plugs for starting the New 6.6L air intake heater grid is for below zero starting improvement. Glow plugs remain on during warm up in cycles 60 second max, and do wear out without warning their is no set life span. To replace a V8 glow plug is a PITA, and costly, and can be avoided.

For me it comes down to overall cost of ownership short term & long term, and that includes when it breaks, all diesels will break down and how easy their to work on if they have problems is key. I would rather take Lawnsite beatings for what is the truth, and maybe save some poor newbee on the fence:laugh:

Lawnsite tears the Cummins down, I build them up,:laugh: and then some newbee posts the My Powerstroke is a POS thread, and we get the classic silence :confused: or :sleeping: thread if it's Ford or GM.

TXNSLighting
01-11-2009, 01:51 AM
How about the 7.3's maintenance? fuel filters right on top. oil changes are easy. I find them easy to work on. The duramax has the worst fuel filter design known to man!

the 6.0's even easier. fuel and oil filter are right on top. Done and done. You know i love the cummins and i think its the best, but i love the V8 diesels as well. They are all great. Duramax takes 3rd on the maintenance side of things.

WH401
01-11-2009, 11:05 AM
I will give the 7.3 the ease of regular maintenance cookie. The fuel filter is right on top of the engine in view, and the oil filter is right at the bottom by the pan. No obstruction's for either thing and very easy to access. On both of my 5.9's the air intake tube has to be removed to get to the oil filter and the fuel filter can be slightly awkward to get to. But both of those thing's are only slight thing's and it's still very simple.

zedosix
01-11-2009, 11:19 AM

Wow, so many stupid answers for such an easy question.

Your new chevy diesel will be fine, start it when its cold, let it sit for a minute at most and go. No question about it. You should of asked this one at a diesel forum not on lawnsite.

TXNSLighting
01-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Wow, so many stupid answers for such an easy question.

Your new chevy diesel will be fine, start it when its cold, let it sit for a minute at most and go. No question about it. You should of asked this one at a diesel forum not on lawnsite.

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

There are way to many people on here who have no idea what they are talking about.

nosparkplugs
01-11-2009, 02:14 PM
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

There are way to many people on here who have no idea what they are talking about.

No I think the simple answer was on here; because if you take your exact diesel engine & truck even to a brand friendly diesel forum your truck & engine pick will be torn apart far worse than any of these answers. They will give you the EXACT problems down to the glow plug moduals that fail. The 6.6L is the holy grail for Duramax's anything less you will be eaten alive on a diesel forum's they truly will split atoms.

D&B Sharp Finish
01-15-2009, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&B Sharp Finish

uh no not quite

I would love to hear you enlighten me on your way of thinking...

TXNSLighting
01-15-2009, 10:28 PM
I would love to hear you enlighten me on your way of thinking...

They automatically burn the crap out when the DPF is full. You dont have to drive it hard to achieve this...correct with the EGR just not the DPF. So you were half right.

zedosix
01-15-2009, 11:06 PM
I just had a service bulletin on my 6.4 regarding the dpf, it states that once the engine is reving and the filter is burning the soot, they want you to drive it above 2000 rpm for 20 minutes.

TXNSLighting
01-15-2009, 11:15 PM
I just had a service bulletin on my 6.4 regarding the dpf, it states that once the engine is reving and the filter is burning the soot, they want you to drive it above 2000 rpm for 20 minutes.

Right, I just recently heard this as well. Dont think its quite necessary tho..They just want you to burn as much fuel as possible! :laugh:

Petr51488
01-15-2009, 11:45 PM
Like everyone has said it's definitely not good to be driving it hard when it's cold. If your dead-set on getting the diesel, the good thing is the duramaxes do start easy even in below-freezing temperatures. Get a remote-start for it too, and turn the elevated idle on, that way you can let it warm up for a bit anyways before you get out the door.

Exactly. When you get the call, point the clicker outside your window and start the truck before you get ready. My elevated idle is allways on. It kicks in around 33 degrees or lower. Great options.

Running it hard whenever you get the chance would be 90 percent of the time and you would use up so much fuel. And for what? The truck isn't allways cleaning out the filter, only once per tank on average. People think these DPF's are the worst things in the world (maybe they are) but their not as bad as everyone says. I love having a diesel without the diesel exhaust smell.

They automatically burn the crap out when the DPF is full. You dont have to drive it hard to achieve this...correct with the EGR just not the DPF. So you were half right.

Thank YOU! lol You have to own one of these trucks to know what your talking about.

Wow, 2k rpm? I would have to be doing 75 mph. Illegal in most states! Uh, officer, i have to clean out my filter so i had to drive this fast lol. My manual says i think above 40mph for a certain period of time. I guess the faster you drive the quicker it cleans out. I like to floor it when its in regen to make sure everything gets cleaned out.

TXNSLighting
01-16-2009, 12:28 AM
Thank YOU! lol You have to own one of these trucks to know what your talking about.

Ha! I dont even own one of them! I just do my research.

TXNSLighting
01-16-2009, 12:29 AM

The more i think about it, thats not true. I wouldnt suggest doing this as you will be wasting alot of fuel, and yes speeding. Ha! Just when your in a regen just be a little harder on it.

D&B Sharp Finish
01-16-2009, 10:43 AM

True... but the more you can get your DPF up to operating temp the less your truck will regen. You do burn crap out of your DPF while driving not just when it regenerates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petr51488

Ha! I dont even own one of them! I just do my research.

I think you guys need a little more reaserch...

Petr51488
01-16-2009, 12:08 PM
True... but the more you can get your DPF up to operating temp the less your truck will regen. You do burn crap out of your DPF while driving not just when it regenerates.

And what might we be wrong on? If these trucks were 100% of the time in regen... i would be getting 8mpg highway instead of my 20mpg

TXNSLighting
01-16-2009, 12:12 PM

No you obviously need a little more research.

fool32696
01-16-2009, 12:23 PM
The only weak link on a stock Duramax is the injectors and that's been corrected for 4 to 5 years now. In all of the time that I spent on dieselplace.com, I NEVER heard anyone mention a glowplug going out. I have 125,000 on my 02 and have never had any problems with the motor. GM even warrantied my injectors out to 200,000 miles in case they ever do fail. I work my truck hard and I do it with about 75hp and 150 ft/lb of torque over stock specs. Yes a Cummins will last a lot longer than the truck around it (aside from certain blocks built between I think 98 and 02 that would crack! I think these had the number 55 stamped in them) but I think that the Duramax is one of the best diesels on the market. It's also sitting in a solid truck with a PROVEN transmission. I don't consider myself brand loyal (I've loved all of my Fords and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a dodge). I've just never come across anyone so fixated on glowplugs and a grid heater, WHO CARES!

TXNSLighting
01-16-2009, 12:37 PM
The only weak link on a stock Duramax is the injectors and that's been corrected for 4 to 5 years now. In all of the time that I spent on dieselplace.com, I NEVER heard anyone mention a glowplug going out. I have 125,000 on my 02 and have never had any problems with the motor. GM even warrantied my injectors out to 200,000 miles in case they ever do fail. I work my truck hard and I do it with about 75hp and 150 ft/lb of torque over stock specs. Yes a Cummins will last a lot longer than the truck around it (aside from certain blocks built between I think 98 and 02 that would crack! I think these had the number 55 stamped in them) but I think that the Duramax is one of the best diesels on the market. It's also sitting in a solid truck with a PROVEN transmission. I don't consider myself brand loyal (I've loved all of my Fords and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a dodge). I've just never come across anyone so fixated on glowplugs and a grid heater, WHO CARES!

Ha yeh he really hates Glow plugs. He can be very closed minded, but knows his diesel stuff!

PLS-Tx
01-16-2009, 01:11 PM
The more i think about it, thats not true. I wouldnt suggest doing this as you will be wasting alot of fuel, and yes speeding. Ha! Just when your in a regen just be a little harder on it.

Why would you be speeding? All you need to do is put it in 5th gear.

TXNSLighting
01-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Why would you be speeding? All you need to do is put it in 5th gear.

These trucks dont have manuals...Theyre mostly all automatic these days...

Petr51488
01-16-2009, 02:51 PM
These trucks dont have manuals...Theyre mostly all automatic these days...

hah, don't wanna call you out, but you can put it in manual mode. Even so, 2k is not necessary. Its over a certain speed... atleast thats what it is for the duramax's.

TXNSLighting
01-16-2009, 04:01 PM
hah, don't wanna call you out, but you can put it in manual mode. Even so, 2k is not necessary. Its over a certain speed... atleast thats what it is for the duramax's.

I was thinking powerstroke for some reason:hammerhead:...And mine has the maual mode! Danget!

TXNSLighting
01-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Im all messed up today!! Ive been inside to long and its too cold to go outside!

zedosix
01-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Im all messed up today!! Ive been inside to long and its too cold to go outside!

Really, come up to canada and tell me about it.:canadaflag:

TXNSLighting
01-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Really, come up to canada and tell me about it.:canadaflag:

Its cold to us texans! :laugh: Come down here and check out our 100's!! :laugh:

PLS-Tx
01-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Mine is a auto, 08 Cummins. The dealer is the one that told me to take it out of overdrive, 5th gear, to burn off the soot. I did and have not had the light come back on. If it does come on again, I'll do it again, I hope this will keep my new truck out of the shop.:dizzy:

I do wonder what starting and stopping it all day long is doing to it. I have about a 15-20 hwy drive to and from work, so maybe this helps.

Petr51488
01-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Mine is a auto, 08 Cummins. The dealer is the one that told me to take it out of overdrive, 5th gear, to burn off the soot. I did and have not had the light come back on. If it does come on again, I'll do it again, I hope this will keep my new truck out of the shop.:dizzy:

I do wonder what starting and stopping it all day long is doing to it. I have about a 15-20 hwy drive to and from work, so maybe this helps.

I dont know how the dodges work, but in my d-max there is no light that tells you its cleaning it out. My friends ford does however. He says his is more sporatic where as mine.. you know when its going to kick in. The rpms go a little higher and you cant hear the turbo on the highway. Its also much quieter at idle.

PLS-Tx
01-16-2009, 10:54 PM
I dont know how the dodges work, but in my d-max there is no light that tells you its cleaning it out. My friends ford does however. He says his is more sporatic where as mine.. you know when its going to kick in. The rpms go a little higher and you cant hear the turbo on the highway. Its also much quieter at idle.

It's not a light that tells you it's cleaning it out, it was a light that let me know I had a problem.

What year is your D-max, does it have the emissions stuff on it?

Never mind I looked at your sig line, I see it's an 08. Have you had any problems with it?

TXNSLighting
01-16-2009, 11:38 PM
The LMM Duramaxs have been great. I know the 6.7 cummins has had lotsa problems, but theyre not due to the DPF.

TXNSLighting
01-16-2009, 11:40 PM

Yours should have the manual selector. You dont have to take it out of over drive just put it in 5th. But really you shoudnt have to do this...Just drive it and dont worry about the regens.

WH401
01-17-2009, 12:05 AM
The LMM Duramaxs have been great. I know the 6.7 cummins has had lotsa problems, but theyre not due to the DPF.

Actually the prior problem's were because of the DPF, per se. The problem's mainly stemmed from the complexity of the emission's equipment and the severe strain that 2010 emission's puts on the engine's. Ford and Chevy may run into the same problem when they have to introduce there compliant engines next year.

In terms of the engine itself though, it has shown to be reliable so far and the problem's can be hit or miss. Most have been found on the 07's, and the 08's have been great. But just as any of the other new diesel engines, you don't want to let them idle or just putt around all day. Running them hard or a higher RPM really help's clean them out, and any car will benefit from this.

PLS-Tx
01-17-2009, 12:05 AM
Yours should have the manual selector. You dont have to take it out of over drive just put it in 5th. But really you shoudnt have to do this...Just drive it and dont worry about the regens.

Yea sure, whatever!

Petr51488
01-17-2009, 12:06 AM
It's not a light that tells you it's cleaning it out, it was a light that let me know I had a problem.

What year is your D-max, does it have the emissions stuff on it?

Never mind I looked at your sig line, I see it's an 08. Have you had any problems with it?

Oh, misread that one. A message would come up in my DIC which would tell me to service the dpf, or that it needs cleaning. This would (and never has) come on if your doing alot of city driving and not doing the recomended 40+mph for 20+ minutes and not giving it the chance to clean out. Mine is an 08 and does have the emissions stuff on it. ALot of people hate it, but i really dont mind. Like i said before, i love having a diesel without the diesel exhaust smell. Knock on wood... no problems at all. Great truck.

TXNSLighting
01-17-2009, 12:29 AM
Actually the prior problem's were because of the DPF, per se. The problem's mainly stemmed from the complexity of the emission's equipment and the severe strain that 2010 emission's puts on the engine's. Ford and Chevy may run into the same problem when they have to introduce there compliant engines next year.

In terms of the engine itself though, it has shown to be reliable so far and the problem's can be hit or miss. Most have been found on the 07's, and the 08's have been great. But just as any of the other new diesel engines, you don't want to let them idle or just putt around all day. Running them hard or a higher RPM really help's clean them out, and any car will benefit from this.

I only really heard of turbo problems around here. I went and talked to my service friend. He said the emmision stuff was having minor isues but nothing major. Maybe im talking to the wrong people.