PDA

View Full Version : The Wonder Tool - 40 gallon pots

mdvaden
01-10-2009, 01:04 AM
Just finished a reply to a barkdust and trailer question. Reminded me of my 40 gallon pots.

One of the best cheap or free tools I've got on hand.

For small loads, I line my trailer bed with them and have the bark dumped on top. Unloading - I simply slide the pots into the wheelbarrow or dump them in. Saves a bunch of shoveling, with minimal bed shoveling after.

I store extra rock and stuff in them - leftovers from small pond projects, so I can pick and choose from remnants.

And sometimes, I fill them half full of soil when I need to store dirt and backfill later, like the drainage deal below. That was not a French drain - just where a solid section of ADS drain line needed to pass through a section of lawn.

Anyhow, love my 40 gallon pots.

Grassmechanic
01-10-2009, 02:37 PM
I agree. They sure do come in handy and you can't beat the price.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-10-2009, 02:54 PM
love free stuff

mdvaden
01-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Lately, I found that Craigslist can save me dump fees and gas.

Like, I removed a retaining wall of eight foot long treated 4 x 6s in our back yard. Only 30% life left. Put them on Craigslist, 3 calls in 15 minutes, picked up an hour later.

From now on, I'm going to put the small 1 gallon to 5 gallon pots on Craigslist as FREE - odds are they will be taken in an hour.

Almost any free thing I've put on the local Craigslist has brought more than one call in 10 minutes.

So instead of hauling pots back to the nursery or discard - may as well make them available to home gardeners doing their own propation and stuff.

White Gardens
01-14-2009, 04:47 PM
4 Gallons or 40 gallon.

Regardless I've got way too many, and have started taking them to the recycling center.

Even If I finally get a propagation system set up, I still always have plenty on hand.

I've started using Five gallon buckets with the Tool holder that slides over the rim. Great to hold line levels, mallets, Cold Chisels, string line, pliers, safety glasses, fabric pins, ETC.....

LuvMyFerris
01-26-2009, 02:33 PM
mdvaden: Man thats neat work, wish I could find someone in my area that did neat work like that, wow.

paolaken
01-29-2009, 01:40 PM
we use the 40 gallon all the time also. they get used for everything.

Paradise Yard Service
02-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Nice trench work. I'll use the pots instead of tarp. Thanks.

Aloha