PDA

View Full Version : 3126 Cat Diesel

duke12
01-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Here's the situation, A local guy is selling a 2000 gmc 6500 series with the Allison auto. Its got approx. 135000 miles.
It looks like it was well taken care of. What do the experts think of this engine. Its just a cab chassis. If I buy it, I would probably install a 10 foot godwin dump.
I have a few 1 tonne's. By the way, the truck is equipped with airbrakes.
I currently don't have a cdl, so this truck would be strictly a hauler. No trailer. Its rated @ 26000 gvw.
Thanks guys for your help.

Gravel Rat
01-10-2009, 02:43 PM
The truck isn't worth it. The 6500 series is only a 3 ton truck its really isn't going to carry much more than a truck like a F-550 or 5500 Chevy.

The 3126 Cat in that truck is probably only rated at 195hp being its a light medium duty truck.

I would keep looking your better off with a CDL truck if you really want to carry more material. A truck with a 26,000lb gvw is useless for carrying any weight.

stuvecorp
01-10-2009, 04:00 PM
I would think you could find a truck all set up ready to go cheaper than making one. Maybe look for an International single axle?

duke12
01-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Thanks guys for the replies. But I'm only looking to haul topsoil to the jobsite
and haul away debris.
If I can haul lets say 5-6 yards at a time, than I dont have to use both my 1 tons.
The reason why I dont want to get a cdl is becuase trucks are expensive and repairs are too. Not to mention insurance.
Basically I'm a small company and for me I think it would suit me just fine.
thanks again

CrystalCreek
01-10-2009, 04:36 PM
I use to work at the power company and all our GMC's were powered with the same Cat. They would outlast the truck with no problem. These trucks / engines would average about 60000 hours before being sold at auction. They also did less than average maintenance. You couldn't set speed records, but you knew the truck would get there. Our truck were 8500, but the same engines. They were rated at 47000 LBS. I think you could get a better deal on that truck in question, but I think the engine is more than enought.

Gravel Rat
01-10-2009, 05:05 PM
The 3126 engines are good its the truck is too light to do anything. A 6500 is no cheaper to maintain than a truck with a 35,000lb gvw. A 6500 is is a schoolbus chassis with a light front end they had lots of problems with king pins.

This something you look for if you want to haul a load. Most of the time single axle trucks are profitless not many people use them because you can run a tandem or tri for the same cost and make money.

www.truckpaper.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=1403804&guid=B71A796D13694E379C9A6270986351DD

hosejockey2002
01-10-2009, 05:35 PM
I think it would be a decent truck for what you want to use it for. If all you did was trucking it might be a little light like GR said. However, it will carry at least twice the weight of a 1 ton and probably not use much more fuel. 5 yards of topsoil will be pushing it unless the dirt is really dry. With only a 10 foot box you should be able to stuff it full of just about anything. What was the truck used for previously?

stuvecorp
01-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks guys for the replies. But I'm only looking to haul topsoil to the jobsite
and haul away debris.
If I can haul lets say 5-6 yards at a time, than I dont have to use both my 1 tons.
The reason why I dont want to get a cdl is becuase trucks are expensive and repairs are too. Not to mention insurance.
Basically I'm a small company and for me I think it would suit me just fine.
thanks again

Yeah, you don't need a monster(tandem/tri) for what you are doing. There was a International up here a dealer had that looked very nice, mid 90's I think, Dt466 with a Allison, had a 5-6 yard dump box and was asking $7,000. It didn't look beat up and wasn't leaking anything, I would think you could find something like that out there. You will have way more money in setting up a truck than buying one that is ready. The baby Cat seems to have lots of power and is decent on fuel but is very expensive to fix, that's why the International would be what I'd look for.