PDA

View Full Version : MR16 lamp life

Indiana Outdoor Lighting
01-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Has anyone ever seen any manufactures' test data to support claims of 4k, 5k or 10k average hours lamp life?

I have asked for this info previously and received only very sketchy reports. What I would really like to see are charts that represent the distribution of lamp failures over time. I know that the life testing is done in a lab. Is the shape of the distribution a normal curve (I doubt). Or, a constant rate with increased failures occurring at the beginning and end of life. The "constant" rate is the curve for many electronic devices.

I Have tried MR 16s from several manufacturers but, have never quite been satisfied with the perceived performance vs MFG claims.

Does anyone notice higher failure rates with wider beam spread lamps such as 60 deg?

Would a surge protector help reduce premature failures? If so, where can I get a surge protector OK for outdoor use.

All the best, Ralph

eskerlite
01-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Lamp life testing is done with 100 lit lamps and when 50 burn out that is the lamp life for that lamp. Who knows how long any lamp will last and can we really imitate all the flucuations in voltage that an average lamp goes through?
I try to use only GE constant color Precise lamps. They have performed the best from my years of maintaining my systems.
Sean Curran

Lite4
01-10-2009, 02:13 PM
I know you will get varied results with your 16's if the voltage varies between lamps. In the lab they are testing all the lamps at a set voltage and will not have the swing in voltage that we will inevitably have in the field on installations. I believe they test around the mid 11 range which is the optimum range for the lamps (varies between manus I'm sure). Whereas anything higher or lower than thier test range will certainly either increase or decrease the expected or "rated" lamp life.

Lite4
01-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Ditto on the GEs Sean. Hands down the most reliable.

NightLightingFX
01-10-2009, 03:54 PM
DON'T EVER USE Prism. Prism SUCKS!!!
~Ned

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-10-2009, 05:26 PM
GE Precise Constant Color MR16 are hands down the best MR16 lamp on the market, for a number of reasons.

As for surge protection, don't bother with rinky dink Surge outlets, power blocks or other such plug in type devices. Instead install an Intermatic Panel Guard (Whole home surge arrest) and be done with it. If you live in an area with a lot of transients (dirty power) spikes and surges on the grid, this unit will save a lot of premature lamp failures.

Regards.

LightYourNight
01-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Ge Constant color are working great for me as well!!!

David Gretzmier
01-11-2009, 05:14 PM
The GE rep I spoke with at Louisville expo 2 years back says that UL rates all of thier bulbs based on full voltage. and yes, 100 bulbs, at 70 degrees teperature, when half are gone they are at the rated life. Manufacturors are allowed to round to the nearest 100 hours. After speaking with Scott Heese, Owner of HBL ( My Christmas Light manufacturor) he confirmed it is UL that tests and rates the hour life rating of his light sets. same procedure. 120 volts, when 1/2 are gone, bulb rating at 70 degrees.

I would imagine that some bulbs go out at 100 hours, some at 400, some at 800, etc. I really don't believe they have a party and all half go out at 3000 or 5000 hours.

I seem to occaisionally have a batch that was obviously dropped by UPS or what not, otherwise I rarely change bulbs in Low voltage, as I change out all bulbs every year.

tonyGub
01-11-2009, 09:19 PM
The GE rep I spoke with at Louisville expo 2 years back says that UL rates all of thier bulbs based on full voltage. and yes, 100 bulbs, at 70 degrees teperature, when half are gone they are at the rated life. Manufacturors are allowed to round to the nearest 100 hours. After speaking with Scott Heese, Owner of HBL ( My Christmas Light manufacturor) he confirmed it is UL that tests and rates the hour life rating of his light sets. same procedure. 120 volts, when 1/2 are gone, bulb rating at 70 degrees.

Some manus do their UL testing in house. After getting results within the standards they have a UL rep come in and review their tests to get approval. This can be done in under a month.

LightYourNight
01-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Anyone use the usiho 10,000 hour lamps? any differences in light output or look?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-13-2009, 04:23 PM
John, do a search of this forum in regards to the Ushio Ultraline 10,0000 hr lamp. It is an entertaining read!

I tried them, they are a complete and unmitigated disaster! Total crap lamp that doesn't come anywhere near it's life expectancy in real world conditions. Installing that lamp for one season cost me thousands of dollars.

LightYourNight
01-13-2009, 04:56 PM
thanks james, glad i asked. Have you heard any new news on the usiho LED MR16?

JoeyD
01-13-2009, 05:21 PM
USHIO LED is still B/O I believe..........Go with the LUXXO, much better color and output in comparison. Youc an do a search I posted a comparison some time back.....

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-13-2009, 05:41 PM
The Ushio Synergy LED MR16 lamp must be having some awful troubles! They "introduced" it at Lightfair last spring and since have had several 'release dates' that have come and gone.

I saw the lamp at Lightfair and found it to run rather hot when in an enclosed fixture. Perhaps that is the problem and they know it. From what I can tell, if and when they do make that lamp available their pricing will be significantly higher then the Luxxo.

Regards.

Eden Lights
01-15-2009, 10:24 AM
GE CC all the way

David Gretzmier
01-15-2009, 07:32 PM
The ushio 10,000 hour light has about 60% of the lumens as a normal 3-5000 hour bulb and a much yellower light output at a given voltage. It is realistically a 16-18 volt bulb, with an extra thick filament being run at 10.8-11.5 volts. To get comparable lumens you have to bump up the wattage to get the right lumens. I don't reccomend the 10k hour ushios.

i have some 10 watt 240 volt christmas bulbs that are rated at 3000 hours at 240 volts but we run them at 120 on one job that wanted an old time amber look. Those bulbs will last forever. but ugh, the color.