PDA

View Full Version : Hauling large trees...?

CALandscapes
01-10-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm curious as to what methods y'all use to haul trees to job sites?

We've been doing a few installs with 10-12 multi-thousand lbs. trees/palms, and it's not always possible to have the nursery deliver straight to the job site (often times, I'll just order a packed 18-wheeler, for example).

I've been toying around with the idea of buying a 24' gooseneck trailer with tandem 10k lbs. axles.... I hate to spend the $6.5k+, though, that it's going to cost.... For whatever it's worth, I do have several trailers; they're just not all the best access for loading/unload trees with the bobcat (two have 4' sides, the other is the trailer that I prefer to use for the Bobcat, which is only 18' long with a 10.5k lb. gvwr).

Any input will be appreciated!

-Chase

EagleLandscape
01-10-2009, 04:42 PM
I would look into a flatbed f450 or f550 if possible. bed length might be too small though.

a deck over gooseneck would be best though.

muddstopper
01-10-2009, 05:45 PM
I want to know what kind of bobcat you have that will lift a 12,000lb tree.
My personal thoughts are that if I was planting this size tree on a regular basis, I would purchase or have built, a trailer specificly for the job, or at least own a large enough flatbed truck so as to not need the trailer. For a once in the while tree planting, I would just rent a flatbed truck, or pay someone to deliver.

White Gardens
01-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Might want to consider a 14,000 pound dump trailer with drop sides, if it's long enough. Then you've got a trailer you don't need a CDL for, and the dump capacity for other projects.

Use a chain to drag the root ball to the edge of of your existing trailer, and a powered winch at the front to load them. If it has a good, flat steel bottom, it should slide easily.

That's probably the cheapest I can come up with.

CALandscapes
01-10-2009, 11:04 PM
10 to 12 trees, at over 1k lbs. each****

I've thought about getting a larger truck, something like an NPR flatbed, but I'd like to try to keep my overhead down, especially considering that I've recently purchased several new pieces of equipment....

I do have a 20k lbs. gvwr dump trailer that's 20' long, and it works fine for some trees.. I guess that I should have explained that my biggest concern is hauling of more delicate trees, such as booted Sabal Palmettos...

More ideas are welcome!

Thanks again.

Lite4
01-11-2009, 12:49 AM
The last development I did we brought in 80, 12"caliper maples in out of Canada. We could get between 2-3 on a 40' drop deck. The rootballs varied between about 85"-95" and we would move them with a very large CAT telehandler. We would also use a combination of heavy rigging straps and chain to secure and plant with.

mdvaden
01-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Ever use a crane?

Or too far to reach?

fool32696
01-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Around here most of the big guys are running something like a F650 flatbed or a tandem dually gooseneck like you described. Keep your overhead low and find a used gooseneck.

Lite4
01-12-2009, 10:13 PM
We only used a crane when setting up some of our large water feature boulders. A CAT TH 560 is perfect for big trees. I will see if I can dig up some photos of us installing with it.