PDA

View Full Version : Split tank sprayer

RABBITMAN11
01-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Does anyone know of a company that makes smaller split tank sprayers?
Like a 75/75 or 50/50.

JB1
01-10-2009, 08:34 PM
try them , they are one of the sponsors, http://www.gregsonclark.com/

rcreech
01-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Like a 75/75 or 50/50.

You can build your own for 1/2 the money and acually customize it to fit your op!

Building a sprayer is very easy. PM me your e-mail address and I can send you pics of mine if you want to see it and get some ideas.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
01-10-2009, 09:32 PM
I almost bought one of these last year. Best deal I've found. I was going to use 1 tank for Perimeter Pest Treatments& other for small tree/shrub. Drawback-has a roller pump instead of diaphragm, which is OK, depending on what you're going to use it for. Cost $2,500+shipping.

Hey Rodney-I'm interested in those pics/plans. I'll PM you my email.:usflag:

JDUtah
01-10-2009, 09:36 PM
You can build your own for 1/2 the money and acually customize it to fit your op!

Building a sprayer is very easy. PM me your e-mail address and I can send you pics of mine if you want to see it and get some ideas.

You already got my e-mail, can you send the pics too me too while you are at it?

Thanks!

KACYDS
01-10-2009, 09:56 PM
I almost bought one of these last year. Best deal I've found. I was going to use 1 tank for Perimeter Pest Treatments& other for small tree/shrub. Drawback-has a roller pump instead of diaphragm, which is OK, depending on what you're going to use it for. Cost $2,500+shipping.

Hey Rodney-I'm interested in those pics/plans. I'll PM you my email.:usflag:

Another drawback is the hand crank on the hose reel. I hope most of you guys are not using a hand crank and have an electric reel. I just cant imagine rolling up 300' of hose 8-10 times a day.:dizzy:

Ric
01-11-2009, 10:17 AM

Yep rcreech

It is not hard and a lot cheaper to just add an other tank. Draw backs might be space. I have seen some very nice Fiberglass split tanks that fit like a Space saver.

While I had a split tank set up at one time, I got away from them due to cross contamination of products. I now only run single tanks, pump and hose reel. I have 3 on my cab over and two 5 X 10 trailers with a skid sprayer on each for special jobs. In my case I have down sized from a bigger operation and have equipment left over. Therefore as a one man band I have more equipment than I really need. Fact is I still have pumps and hose reels sitting in my barn that I don't use at all. I am a collector and no desire to sell any thing right now. I keep having bad thoughts that maybe I will hire help and need that equipment.

rcreech
01-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Ric,

I currently have a 3 tank system and adding another to make it 4 (currently adding a Three Way concentrate tank with oz meter and pump).

I have it set up so that NO WAY can products be mixed or cross contaminated. Took me about 6 month to design (could have done much quicker, but wanted it to be close to perfect).

It is a pretty sweet rig and is all aluminum.

My new set up after adding the Three Way tank will include:
4 tanks, three pumps, 2 hose reels and bulk water load for my ride on. Nice thing is...I can still haul a pallet (I usually only haul 30 bags or so as that is what I use/day) of fert and I have my ride on hanging on the back.

My truck is a very effecient, and compact ride! :cool2:

I have literally in 1 stop, sprayed a flowerbed, did a perimeter pest control, mole job and sprayed the lawn. This 1 stop was all in about an hour and was VERY PROFITABLE!

SpreadNSpray
01-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Ric,

I currently have a 3 tank system and adding another to make it 4 (currently adding a Three Way concentrate tank with oz meter and pump).

I have it set up so that NO WAY can products be mixed or cross contaminated. Took me about 6 month to design (could have done much quicker, but wanted it to be close to perfect).

4 tanks, three pumps, 2 hose reels and bulk water load for my ride on. Nice thing is...I can still haul a pallet (I usually only haul 30 bags or so as that is what I use/day) of fert and I have my ride on hanging on the back.

I have literally in 1 stop, sprayed a flowerbed, did a perimeter pest control, mole job and sprayed the lawn. This 1 stop was all in about an hour and was VERY PROFITABLE!

We need pics! 30 bags a day is humpin. I can only move that much fert on the days I do commercial or acreage. Are you able to just fork in a pallet to your truck?

DUSTYCEDAR
01-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Wow you sound like you have a sweet setup

rcreech
01-11-2009, 11:07 AM
We need pics! 30 bags a day is humpin. I can only move that much fert on the days I do commercial or acreage. Are you able to just fork in a pallet to your truck?

S and S,

PM my your e-mail address and I will get them to you.

30 bags is only around 10 acres and the only reason I usually load 30 bags is that is when I run out of water. No reason to take a pallet of fert when water is my limiting factor

Keep in mind that I have VERY large lawns and a pretty tight route.

I have one location that I literally have to come home and fill at lunch and that is on res's. I do 11 acres in 1 plat. It is sweet!
When I do commercial's...I actually take two trucks or a truck and trailer for the larger ones. My biggest commercial property is a 54 bag stop and they let us use their water hose to fill our tanks. We do it in one day and I bet we blow off 3 acres of driveways/sidewalks! The clean up SUCKS, but good money and easy ride on work!

I don't actually load the pallet on the truck for several reasons.
1) Don't have to unload PG and take rack off truck
2) Don't like seeing tall pallets in a truck
3) Can "hold" a whole pallet of fert but have to move a bag on the pallet to fit around the one reel motor.

I just put the pallet up to the side of the truck and load it by hand while standing in the truck. It is quicker then unlaoding PG and this is about the only exercise I ever get! :laugh:

I still have room for by backpack blower and backpack sprayer too. It took me four years to figure out how to get all this on the truck.

Honestly...if one thing isn't in the correct place it screws up the whole bed! I am a stickler with my dad on how we load the truck, or it messed up everything!

SpreadNSpray
01-11-2009, 11:39 AM
S and S,

PM my your e-mail address and I will get them to you.

30 bags is only around 10 acres and the only reason I usually load 30 bags is that is when I run out of water. No reason to take a pallet of fert when water is my limiting factor

Keep in mind that I have VERY large lawns and a pretty tight route.

I have one location that I literally have to come home and fill at lunch and that is on res's. I do 11 acres in 1 plat. It is sweet!
When I do commercial's...I actually take two trucks or a truck and trailer for the larger ones. My biggest commercial property is a 54 bag stop and they let us use their water hose to fill our tanks. We do it in one day and I bet we blow off 3 acres of driveways/sidewalks! The clean up SUCKS, but good money and easy ride on work!

I don't actually load the pallet on the truck for several reasons.
1) Don't have to unload PG and take rack off truck
2) Don't like seeing tall pallets in a truck
3) Can "hold" a whole pallet of fert but have to move a bag on the pallet to fit around the one reel motor.

I just put the pallet up to the side of the truck and load it by hand while standing in the truck. It is quicker then unlaoding PG and this is about the only exercise I ever get! :laugh:

I still have room for by backpack blower and backpack sprayer too. It took me four years to figure out how to get all this on the truck.

Honestly...if one thing isn't in the correct place it screws up the whole bed! I am a stickler with my dad on how we load the truck, or it messed up everything!

I carry 200g of water so I will run out of fertilizer first. I can carry 32 bags and don't usually need to reload during the day. My biggest stop is a 12 acre office building. Otherwise when I'm servicing the 2.5 acre Mcmansion neighborhoods I might need to reload. But it's usually around quit-in time when I run out of fertilizer.

Hey, you've got it easy if you can fork the pallet right to the truck. We have to pull up to the stacked pallets and pull from there. life is tough.:laugh:

RABBITMAN11
01-11-2009, 11:50 AM
The reason I am asking about split tank is, I have a space about 42 wide 65 long. I use a box truck to haul ride on.I put two pallets in the back of box,
I drive ride on in box up to pallets. I would like the split tank next to the ride. I need split tanks partly for nurse tank other for tree and shrub

Ric
01-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Ric,

rreech

I am not sure what you are trying to say here. Are you using only one pump??? IMHO there is no way to get around cross contamination when you use even the same short hose in a system. The pump alone will hold a certain amount of material. That is why my cab over has 3 tanks 3 pumps and 3 hose reels. Each is a separate self contained unit.

Now on my one trailer I have a chemical injector that is in line right at the hose reel. The tank is nothing but fresh water. I could change mixes without contaminating the main tank. But my hose would have to run out several gallons of mixed material before being a pure mix from the injector. When I had a split tank I ended up using it like a reserve. I had the same product in both tanks. I added the second tank only to increase gallons of product.

SpreadNSpray
01-11-2009, 12:04 PM
The reason I am asking about split tank is, I have a space about 42 wide 65 long. I use a box truck to haul ride on.I put two pallets in the back of box,
I drive ride on in box up to pallets. I would like the split tank next to the ride. I need split tanks partly for nurse tank other for tree and shrub

You might want to look at 2 separate tanks, one as nurse tank for the ride-on and one for aps. It might be more cost effective and versatile. I can easily use 75 - 100 gallons of water in a day. So I wouldn't go under 100g for a nurse tank. Just my 2 cents.

RABBITMAN11
01-11-2009, 12:21 PM
My nurse tank I would have water only, tree and shrub products in the other tank.

rcreech
01-11-2009, 03:22 PM
rreech

I am not sure what you are trying to say here. Are you using only one pump??? IMHO there is no way to get around cross contamination when you use even the same short hose in a system. The pump alone will hold a certain amount of material. That is why my cab over has 3 tanks 3 pumps and 3 hose reels. Each is a separate self contained unit.

Now on my one trailer I have a chemical injector that is in line right at the hose reel. The tank is nothing but fresh water. I could change mixes without contaminating the main tank. But my hose would have to run out several gallons of mixed material before being a pure mix from the injector. When I had a split tank I ended up using it like a reserve. I had the same product in both tanks. I added the second tank only to increase gallons of product.

No I have 2 pumps and 2 hose reels. Both are enclosed systems. The other tank (or both 50's) is just water and the new tank I am adding (Three Way Conc) has its own pump and meter. So the new system will have 3 pumps with 2 hose reels and an oz meter.

There is ABSOLUTLY no way for anything to get crossed. They are all complete systems with no way to get into each other. PM me your email and you will see.

rcreech
01-11-2009, 03:43 PM

Go to this website and you can get ANY size tank you need. They are awesome to work with. A little pricey...but that is what happens when you have to customize.

http://www.plastic-mart.com/class.php?cat=12

You can get a large tank for your water and then get a smaller customized tank for you other apps. Remember you could even build a system and stack the tanks on a frame. You don't just have to go "out" as you can go "up" also!

How do you load your ride-on into your box?

I just bought a box truck and am not sure how I am going to load my ride on yet (ramp, lift or just use a rack).

RABBITMAN11
01-11-2009, 04:06 PM
I have a custom bifold ramp with gas shocks to help with lifting. You can even load a riding mower up it. Its a cab over with a side door for loading fert. Bifold ramps in back, 12 foot box thats why I am limited in space for tanks

rcreech
01-11-2009, 04:41 PM
A couple of my good buddies on here are using ramps. Are you using a USA Ramp?

I will just PM you!

RABBITMAN11
01-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Very similar, but a lot stonger due to weight of machine and fert.
We had a company custom build it. USA Ramp has nice ramps but they are not long enough, wide enough or strong enough for a lot of use. But if you are using a Permagreen it would work. We use Z-spray so weight is a issue.

RABBITMAN11
01-11-2009, 05:24 PM
A box truck is the way to go, no more unloading, water tight, and secure.

americanlawn
01-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Hi RABBITMAN11, IMO the best tanks/split tanks on the market are "TUFLEX" tanks (Pompano Beach, Fla).

You pay a premium, but they last for decades. Plus....they look more professional. My truck has a 185/115 gallon split tank that is 19 years old, and it still looks like new. Since they're the finest quality fiberglass, they will not fade, bend, or rupture.

Nuther nice thing about them is they are compact, so they allow space needed for bags of fert, pumps/hose reels, etc.

Like a 75/75 or 50/50.

turf hokie
01-11-2009, 07:15 PM
I have a 200/200/30 custom tank. If I could have it set up better I would definately set it up to run 2 or 3 pumps with seperate plumbing for all 3. As Ric said we have had some problems with cross contaminations.

Sorry no help on where to get it, we got ours here in NY and it was pricey but it was customized to fit in the back of a pickup. Easy in out with the fork lift.

I would go with Larry's suggested vendor, we did not use fiberglass only because we take it in and out fairly often and did not want to end up with an oops hole in a fiberglass tank.

I would also suggest setting each tank independent for future use, it may be overkill but you never know what you may need it to do in the future. Even if for the time being you are running water out of one tank you will still end up with some product from the mix tank in your lines when you fill your machines.

rcreech
01-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks for all the PM's!

I have sent you all e-mails, so if you don't get it let me know!

E-mail me back or call me if you have any questions, comments or suggestions!

RC

RigglePLC
01-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Ric and others you are correct--cross contamination--a huge problem. Rabbit remember each tank must have an outlet to the pump and a pressure relief-bypass hose to send excess pressure back to the tank. Even a small shot of weed killer into your tree and shrub tank--and you can kiss your truck and business good bye. I suggest a gravity feed (or electric pump) for a pure water tank on the opposite side. Fill the Z-spray with the hose and a valve. Add herbicide to z-Spray tank. You can also add plain water to your tree and shrub tank if needed. If you need an herbicide sprayer--use separate sprayer. Probably Ok to fill the Z-Spray from the tree and shrub tank--( if you filled it with water in the morning) a little insecticide in the Z_Spray shoud not hurt anything.

RABBITMAN11
01-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Thanks for all the input